Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastry Rank 24 test

OkamiA

So, if anyone else has reached as far as I have to get to the MR 24 Mastery Rank Test, you know that you're running around a small-ish map as your Starchild. Now, I have no griefs with the Starchild, and I do like playing them at times. (Watching an enemy fly across the map from being dashed into by a puny void child is hilarious) BUT.

The MR 24 test Strips you of all the bonuses and buffs you get from Focus, as well as your Amp you get from Onkko. My Tenno can't even slide-- all she can do is sprint.  My normal Tenno has 600 health when running around normally, and her health goes right back down to 100 when in this test.

I understand that this was how things were when TWW was released. But we have things for our operators now; we have Arcanes, Focus buffs, Amps-- stuff that we had to work for to get. So why can't we use those things in the points of time that matter? I'm referring to things like these Mastery Rank tests, where they limit and halt your progress until you complete them.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that we get to use the Arcanes and the Focus Passives while doing the MR 24 test. The Amp might be a bit too much cheese-- but still, everything else we deserve to use.

I think there should be some kind of indication that tells you that you will get stripped of all your stuff. But I do not agree that we should be able to keep our gear. the unbalance between geared players and non geared players would become too great. And because the test was never created with all that power in mind, the entire point of a mastery test would be... void.

1 minute ago, Airwolfen said:

I think there should be some kind of indication that tells you that you will get stripped of all your stuff. But I do not agree that we should be able to keep our gear. the unbalance between geared players and non geared players would become too great. And because the test was never created with all that power in mind, the entire point of a mastery test would be... void.

Perhaps. But I have a question for you. What do you think this would be like for a player who joined after plains (or at least didn't play TWW) before plains came out. So, they see people killing the Eidolons, and decide that they want to play TWW so they can play their Starchild too. They go through TWW, and then they go to Onkko to get the basic Mote Amp. They get used to playing Plains Tenno, and they don't look back.

Then they reach MR 24. They find themselves being forced to play old Pre-Plains Tenno, and it's difficulty rises because they are not used to running so slow, having so little health, no armor whatsoever, and little energy and slow energy regen.

The MR 24 test is set in an intermittent stage of the game. The transition between an Emo Starchild who is just starting to grow up and take responsibility, and the Sentient hunting Warrior of the plains. Why that point? Why the point between? The Lotus is telling us "Show me your mastery" Yet all of the things that show our mastery and our dedication to our Tenno we can't use.

I don't care about the Amp. But this isn't a point in which new players will linger for long.

3 minutes ago, OkamiA said:

Perhaps. But I have a question for you. What do you think this would be like for a player who joined after plains (or at least didn't play TWW) before plains came out. So, they see people killing the Eidolons, and decide that they want to play TWW so they can play their Starchild too. They go through TWW, and then they go to Onkko to get the basic Mote Amp. They get used to playing Plains Tenno, and they don't look back.

Then they reach MR 24. They find themselves being forced to play old Pre-Plains Tenno, and it's difficulty rises because they are not used to running so slow, having so little health, no armor whatsoever, and little energy and slow energy regen.

The MR 24 test is set in an intermittent stage of the game. The transition between an Emo Starchild who is just starting to grow up and take responsibility, and the Sentient hunting Warrior of the plains. Why that point? Why the point between? The Lotus is telling us "Show me your mastery" Yet all of the things that show our mastery and our dedication to our Tenno we can't use.

I don't care about the Amp. But this isn't a point in which new players will linger for long.

Oh I'm not saying that its wrong. I get what you are on to. But in order to make it possible I feel that they should first rework the test.

And at minimum make the energy separation universal (this alone would matter SOOOO much) and then balance the test to accommodate. 

But the test, as it is now, is nor ready for focus 2.0

Just now, Airwolfen said:

Oh I'm not saying that its wrong. I get what you are on to. But in order to make it possible I feel that they should first rework the test.

And at minimum make the energy separation universal (this alone would matter SOOOO much) and then balance the test to accommodate. 

But the test, as it is now, is nor ready for focus 2.0

And I wouldn't mind seeing that. I can tell that with Focus 2.0 any decently geared player would be like "Maggos? What Maggots?"

I'm always looking forward to MR tests. I can't tell you how many times I made janky, MR only builds for the purpose of figuring out these tests of skill and speed. Trying it over and over again to see what works, only going to a vid or a guide if I really can't see the solution. This is super disappointing, cause I can't do that. "Okay, so with my current focus build I can't tank the infested. Maybe if I farm up some capacity for Mind-Step I could outrun them. Throw in Rejuvenating Tides so I can heal between skirmishes." That would be so fun.

Now it's just... "Run around in a circle and blast at the orbs till you run out of energy, pick up energy orb, die to maggot." :(

3 minutes ago, (PS4)HSomDevil said:

Wouldn't MR24 mean that you had to level up every Kubrow, Kavat, Archwing and Arch-Gun?

You're used to pain, suck it up. :D

I'm used to being flexable enough in my builds, so I can run whatever I like to level those things. And I have 1 companion unmaxed, (Sasha Kubrow) and a handful of Arcwing weapons to level. Don't give me that.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:13 AM, Airwolfen said:

Um isn't what you are saying the case with all the other mastery tests where you get to bring in your fully loaded warframe and weapons? For all of the ones where your gear does matter the veteran is at an advantage over the new player who has less options in warframes, weapons, and mods for them. It makes sense that the MR 24 test would become easier as you geared up your operator.

8 minutes ago, Vasala said:

Um isn't what you are saying the case with all the other mastery tests where you get to bring in your fully loaded warframe and weapons? For all of the ones where your gear does matter the veteran is at an advantage over the new player who has less options in warframes, weapons, and mods for them. It makes sense that the MR 24 test would become easier as you geared up your operator.

Those were all more or less made for the point in the game where you will be at the moment. Like why would a mr 20+ player still have to do the mr 8 test...?.

However the mr24 test is simply not yet ready to handle that gear level. to the point where there will be 0 challenge to it. and new players will most likely have upgraded their operator far beyond the point of the old version when they reach 24 as they should have had more then enough access to the higher stuff. So that average unlock point should be the new balance point.

Giving full access now will simply result in a mr24 test, where the balance point to make it can be estimated to be around mr 8-10. Not much of a mastery test if you ask me. more of a simple gear check. a free unlock of mr24.

They could adjust the test so the enemy scales off your operators armor and health, and the orb's armor scales off your energy pool and damage.

Scale it enough and the way to complete it would be don't use any buffs again.

All the MR tests are silly anyway and I don't see value in them taking the time to re-make mr24 test - I'd rather them fix game breaking bugs.  Just take change her dialog to say "Tenno, your emo is the one of the most powerful forces in the universe - but is cr@p without its buffs. prove to me you can be the true emo" and leave it as is.

I gotta say, I've never practiced or failed a single mastery test....this one though was pure cancer. I failed it 3x in a row and ended up practicing the heck out of it and still...it came down to pure crap luck RNG on if they charged me, if the stupid grubs would give me some breathing room. You pretty much have to constantly hit the orb in the middle of you wont do enough damage to drop it, leaving you with little to no energy to defend yourself or kill the other stuff. Even when practicing it this was pretty much my outcome. If I focused on killing any of the enemies even for a few seconds I wouldn't be able to lay on enough damage to finish it. 

Setup running from orb to orb and just hit it with everything, save a tiny bit of energy so crouch cloak if the big guys charging you or grubs are destroying you and tap it right when they swing and keep hitting it. If you get low and they kill you it's fine. You get 3 lives but no reset in time, just take the death and keep plying the damage into it. Good luck, this one sucked. I really wish I was around when people were cheesing it because man was this frustrating.

Edited by Coaa

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 12:27 PM, Coaa said:

I gotta say, I've never practiced or failed a single mastery test....this one though was pure cancer. I failed it 3x in a row and ended up practicing the heck out of it and still...it came down to pure crap luck RNG on if they charged me, if the stupid grubs would give me some breathing room. You pretty much have to constantly hit the orb in the middle of you wont do enough damage to drop it, leaving you with little to no energy to defend yourself or kill the other stuff. Even when practicing it this was pretty much my outcome. If I focused on killing any of the enemies even for a few seconds I wouldn't be able to lay on enough damage to finish it. 

Setup running from orb to orb and just hit it with everything, save a tiny bit of energy so crouch cloak if the big guys charging you or grubs are destroying you and tap it right when they swing and keep hitting it. If you get low and they kill you it's fine. You get 3 lives but no reset in time, just take the death and keep plying the damage into it. Good luck, this one sucked. I really wish I was around when people were cheesing it because man was this frustrating.

Well, I don't know if this is intended or not, but the Quill's Arcane Vigor that you can get for your operator will proc when you first spawn in, giving you a little extra health to work with. After practicing a few times (and with the encouragement of some friends who were eagerly watching me play on a big screen) that bonus health helped a whole lot, let me tell you.

With a fully ranked Arcane Vigor on my Tenno's suit, it took my tenno health iirc from 100hp to 250hp. Which is a hell of a lot more then 100 and you can afford to do at least a little bit of tanking.

I know you've completed it, but I hope this advice will help someone else looking for aid in this blasted MR test.