Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do people actually use the in game Voice chat?

watermane2000

12 minutes ago, Mr.SpookSpook said:

I did not even know it was available until I got into a team of Turks yesterday and had the "pleasure" of listening to their discussion about what the best kebab recipe out there is or whatever they were talking about. I am turning it off...

At least you never had the "pleasure" of meeting a pissed Russian. ;)

21 hours ago, CeePee said:

I turn off ingame voice chat no matter what the game is - I'm not subjecting myself to that horror.

Learned this the hard way in another shooter 

The trade off of cooperation during Eidolon hunts is enticing but based on replies here and personal experience- not gonna risk it again. 

13 minutes ago, peger said:

At least you never had the "pleasure" of meeting a pissed Russian. ;)

Drunk Angry Russians are fun to play with sometimes, especially the ones who know basic english.

On topic, I prefer to avoid using Voice chat (played CoD when I was younger nuff said) fortunatly for me Warframes Voicechat hasn't worked for me in the 3+ years I've been playing.

I use voice chat frequently. While it was originally due to my keyboard being trashed, I find it considerably easier to press a button and talk while still moving than completely stopping my gameplay to type something. It's especially useful when doing a raid, Sortie, or event mission as it's easier to organize and lead a squad that way.

My only issue with it is that warframe's default voice volume makes it near impossible to actually hear what people are saying until you change it.

The problem with trying to rely on the in-game chat is that some people automatically assume anyone else is using it.  Personally, voice chat is something I disable immediately.  I'm never going to speak over it, and I don't want to listen to anyone else.  Or their kids, pets, spouses, parents, parrots, or favorite movie or music playing loudly in the background.  Or the cookies they are eating.  Or their Darth Vader impersonation as they breath on the mic.

Mostly I don't use ingame VoIP because there isn't a need for it. Most everything can be explained with quick messages during the short pauses that crop up every now and then, those that go ULTRA RAPID don't need any talking to, they know what they are doing. In my book, they are more like "fire and forget missiles" then actual players. Sad thing is they got fired by some unknown third party without any proper IFF set up and the word "collateral damage" nixed from the dictionary. 

I also don't use ingame VoIP because I know my current setup is rather poor. Some have even described it as "next to a jet engine". 

Also, YES PLEASE to all games in existence with VoIP having it on Push-to-Talk by default. Til this day, I have yet to figure out what the desire is to have everyone listening to their local TV blasting in the background. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

Learned this the hard way in another shooter 

The trade off of cooperation during Eidolon hunts is enticing but based on replies here and personal experience- not gonna risk it again. 

It's even worse when the matchmaking usually pairs me up with East-European players, who don't speak English.

My experience with it has been pretty bad. Even with the right settings adjusted it's really difficult to hear people, let alone understand them. This could be a combination of their poor mic quality, their settings, the game, etc. To make matters worse, the vast majority of players using chat use it to brag about their weapons, rage at the team or just add unnecessary noise to the mission. I'm sure it's a godsend at higher end content but for most of the star chart it has just been obnoxiously bad. 

It would also help if the indicators were much more easier to see on the UI. I like how Overwatch flashes the player name on screen in bright text so I don't think I'm hearing voices in my head half the time.