Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

An octave for Octavia please!

JiggleSirDiggle

Let me start off by saying that I've been playing warframe for upwards of about a year and a half. I love the game, and I love the content. That said: Me and my friends who play the game are band nerds, and back when we heard that a musical warframe was coming out, we were thrilled. The prospect of having a warframe that revolves around music was just the sickest thing ever for us; and for the first few weeks after octavia came out it was exactly that: sick! Time passed, and we filled up our slots with songs, and we started to have trouble coming up with new original tunes that fit the very small and undynamic range of the instrument.

Here's the problem, You've got one chord to work with in bass, and melody. Percussion doesn't necessarily need range so it's fine, but you've only got one key to write in. After a while it starts to sound repetitive using the same notes over and over again. On top of that the instruments that are available are interesting, but only a few of them seem to work well when trying to create recognizable rhythms and melodies: having note values that either are too long or do not speak on the beat do not work when put together with any other voices. The tempo is also set for you, you can choose to subdivide the notes to create the illusion that it is faster or slower, but there is no in-between options for the tempo. I can see how a melody that is too fast or slow may negatively influence gameplay, but that doesn't mean it cant be at least a little bit customizable. Those are my main complaints, but because I know nothing about game design and programming, I can't act like I know how to fix it so instead I'll just list generic things I believe could point in the direction of improving the quality of Octavia's mandichord.

1. Allow chromatic movement of notes and just cap it at a certian octave (preferably with more range than at current) thus allowing minor keys and key changes.

2. Allow for customization of the tempo.

3. When creating new instruments, make sure they speak on or near enough to the beat to be used.

4. Create a more user friendly interface for the mandichord because right now scrolling around the disk replacing my notes bit by bit while guessing what pitch each bar is.

Like I said I dont know anything about gamed design or how hard this would be to fix, but even if it is impossible, I would like a reason why.

Let me start off by saying that I've been playing warframe for upwards of about a year and a half. I love the game, and I love the content. That said: Me and my friends who play the game are band nerds, and back when we heard that a musical warframe was coming out, we were thrilled. The prospect of having a warframe that revolves around music was just the sickest thing ever for us; and for the first few weeks after octavia came out it was exactly that: sick! Time passed, and we filled up our slots with songs, and we started to have trouble coming up with new original tunes that fit the very small and undynamic range of the instrument.

Here's the problem, You've got one chord to work with in bass, and melody. Percussion doesn't necessarily need range so it's fine, but you've only got one key to write in. After a while it starts to sound repetitive using the same notes over and over again. On top of that the instruments that are available are interesting, but only a few of them seem to work well when trying to create recognizable rhythms and melodies: having note values that either are too long or do not speak on the beat do not work when put together with any other voices. The tempo is also set for you, you can choose to subdivide the notes to create the illusion that it is faster or slower, but there is no in-between options for the tempo. I can see how a melody that is too fast or slow may negatively influence gameplay, but that doesn't mean it cant be at least a little bit customizable. Those are my main complaints, but because I know nothing about game design and programming, I can't act like I know how to fix it so instead I'll just list generic things I believe could point in the direction of improving the quality of Octavia's mandichord.

1. Allow chromatic movement of notes and just cap it at a certian octave (preferably with more range than at current) thus allowing minor keys and key changes.

2. Allow for customization of the tempo.

3. When creating new instruments, make sure they speak on or near enough to the beat to be used.

4. Create a more user friendly interface for the mandichord because right now scrolling around the disk replacing my notes bit by bit while guessing what pitch each bar is.

Like I said I dont know anything about gamed design or how hard this would be to fix, but even if it is impossible, I would like a reason why.

On a related note, It would be cool to see a UI element for her Buffing ability. The circles really don't help her team to know when to time actions to get the buffs.

I'd like to see a Icon appear when active and show oncoming notes. Similar to how the game "Dance Dance Revolution" shows when to make moves.

It would make it much easier for her and her team to get buffs without resorting to making overly simple songs to make it super easy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 2:08 AM, Degg-Dreddger said:

On a related note, It would be cool to see a UI element for her Buffing ability. The circles really don't help her team to know when to time actions to get the buffs.

I'd like to see a Icon appear when active and show oncoming notes. Similar to how the game "Dance Dance Revolution" shows when to make moves.

It would make it much easier for her and her team to get buffs without resorting to making overly simple songs to make it super easy.

I love the Idea of the melody having a dance dance revolution-esque indicator! That just sounds awesome and would be a huge help to the team.

I would like to see an ability to change key on the fly as you're composing. Say you want Bar 1, Measure 1 in D Minor (the key the Mandachord plays in at current), but then you want Bar 1 Measure 2 in C Major. Or doesn't have to even be that complicated. Adding a key changer per bar or for an overall key change could definitely help improve Octavia's QOL. Maybe add extra song slots as you rank up in MR as well.

DE, just please allow me to let my musical heart fly through the window! Insert at least two octaves, a tempo customization, music notes variance from whole to sixteenth notes, a variance of time signatures and key scales, and a maximum of sixteen measures to play with. The Mozarts within us players will thank you with glorious music from all the ages.

• 1 month later...