Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A little concern about the new weapon-fan

lianjifei

I understand that's in progress right now, but from the demo gif something seems to be a little bit off.

So first thing first, fans is used as weapon in many Chinese art work and there are still people play it nowadays.

But in the real world, while people strike using a fan, they strike as holding a stick, not like whats in the gif (wide open).

Basically, it should be used as Kubotans and/or baton.

BTW there are stories telling people hide needles and other throwing weapons in it and these trigger by swing it wide open. 

While I was looking at the gif I was thinking that might be it but it's just a little off as all melee swing will be range attack for that case.

For more info feel free to google "kongfu fan"

For all we know, the blades of the fan may be literal blades.

It wouldn't make sense to smack people with the closed fan, but rather slice them with 'presumably' metal blades that are used to hold the fabric of the fan together.
Don't know much about the materials it will use, but I can almost assume it will be metallic alloys of some kind (maybe even the PoE resources). Thus making it metal, and metal can be sharpened.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

Ever played Mortal Kombat, KItana uses bladed fans and when she stabs they are closed and when she slashes they are open, they could similarly use that mechanic here, i believe the animations they showed during the stream were just the idle animations, atleast i thought thats what they said

15 minutes ago, lianjifei said:

I understand that's in progress right now, but from the demo gif something seems to be a little bit off.

So first thing first, fans is used as weapon in many Chinese art work and there are still people play it nowadays.

But in the real world, while people strike using a fan, they strike as holding a stick, not like whats in the gif (wide open).

Basically, it should be used as Kubotans and/or baton.

BTW there are stories telling people hide needles and other throwing weapons in it and these trigger by swing it wide open. 

While I was looking at the gif I was thinking that might be it but it's just a little off as all melee swing will be range attack for that case.

For more info feel free to google "kongfu fan"

for all we know a stance may be there where it is used in the closed state and applies a impact proc on some "swings"

I suppose you meant iron fan or Tessen from Japanese art form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tus7kIOr5NI

Traditionally Iron Fan is carried as concealed weapons into zone restricting weapons,
There is also tassel attached that isn't totally for decorative but used much like a chain to grapple with the opponent
or the cord can be improvised to strangle people.

As in a mini-nunchuck improvised with only one striking handle.

Though it would make little to no sense having nunchuck and fan along katana, since there isn't mission that restrict use 
of bladed melee.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG