Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do Channeling Mods have an Efficiency downside?

(XBOX)JaykoBlanco

Mods like

• Enduring Strike
    • +60% Status Chance
    • -40% Channeling Efficiency

or

• Focused Defense
    • +20% Armour
    • -140% Channeling Efficiency

Most of you are aware, but for those who aren't, do note that the bonuses from these mods only apply while Channeling
Isn't the energy required already a penalty to channeling? Considering we can only improve our channeling efficiency by 120%(excluding Rivens) which requires two mod slots, a further -% seems really steep. Why then do these mods and others have not only such a high penalty but a penalty in the first place?

Building any weapon for Channeling pretty much mandates

• Pressure Point
  • Fury
  • Reflex Coil
  • Focus Energy

Unless you don't like using your Warframe Abilities, you pretty much need these four. That's not even considering weapons where Reach is desirable. On top of those 4(5) mods, you'll more than likely be running Killing Blow and/or Corrupt Charge since the Channeling Multiplier isn't enough on it's own to make Channeling worth it. So now we're at 5(7!) mods required to even make Channeling halfway efficient and viable. It still isn't even close to the potential of weapons built for Crit or Status, and you're telling me that to make use the majority of the Channeling build mods, I have to sacrifice all the efficiency I just got?

I'm obviously not talking about using Life Strike to heal yourself. I'm talking about building a weapon around the idea of basically always having Channeling active. I'm also aware that some of the Channeling mods, well specifically Life Strike since there really aren't that many of them, might be broken without any penalty. Most of them however, should have their penalties removed entirely, and the few(one?) that might be too OP without it should have theirs reduced.

I'm also aware channeling needs an official rework. In my opinion, a complete overhaul/reevaluation of every melee weapons' Channeling stats would be the bare-minimum of what could constitute a rework. The Multipliers need go up, I think base Energy Cost should come down, and both should vary from weapon to weapon, not the 5 base Energy Cost and 1.5x Multiplier that's on +95% of the weapons in the game. I'm not asking for that because it's been beaten to death, and probably still isn't coming for a long time, if ever. These changes won't make it competitive with Status, Crit, or even raw-DPS, but they would make it more viable, and enjoyable, for general play, and it would probably take all of 10 minutes to accomplish.

Thoughts?

I agree. I always thought the the extra mod alone seems like enough of a price to pay for these. The only way they could make me use channeling mods is if there was a seperate tab for channeling that did not affect my normal, non-channeling mod allotment. I play almost exclusively melee and I stick to crit/status because that's what works

3 minutes ago, Earthblood said:

I agree. I always thought the the extra mod alone seems like enough of a price to pay for these. The only way they could make me use channeling mods is if there was a seperate tab for channeling that did not affect my normal, non-channeling mod allotment. I play almost exclusively melee and I stick to crit/status because that's what works

I like your idea about a Channeling tab on weapons. This change certainly wouldn't be enough to bring Channeling in line with Crit or Status.What it would do is make it viable to use Channeling builds for general play, and like I said above, adjusting, or in this case removing, mod values on a handful of mods shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so.

It certainly needs an overhaul for sure. I don't know if the actual act of applying your suggestions would really take 10 minutes, but if they make a big change like that, they should definitely spend longer on the design end to make sure the changes are meaningful and work in a fun way.

I agree that channelling needs love but removing the negative from the mods Wouldn't be enough  (An ok start but not enough) the energy drain needs to go from a per hit to a per second (It works on warframe powers it'll work here) and it needs to be supported with weapons that have stats that make you say "oh this is a channelling weapon" and mods that will compete with condition overload status builds and crit builds if not in damage that at the very least utility otherwise theres no point 

Yeah, channeling needs so much more than that. It needs stuff like:

• No penalties on the Channeling mods, except for Corrupt Charge (which is an ACTUAL Corrupted mod), along with maybe future corrupted channeling mods. As for Life Strike, remove its penalty AND reduce its benefit, problem solved.
  • Drain energy per second, instead of per strike. Helps make channelblocking far more viable too
  • Base channeling bonuses not JUST being increased damage, make it do something interesting too, like increases melee range (visually, even, with energy?) and slam radius (also visual energybonus to show the increased range)
  • Since it would be draining energy per second, some passive Warframe-benefits could fit too, like flat armor and a boost to movement speed?
  • One new melee slot for Channeling only, perhaps?

2 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Base channeling bonuses not JUST being increased damage, make it do something interesting too, like increases melee range (visually, even, with energy?) and slam radius (also visual energybonus to show the increased range

All of my zenny for this especially the "do something interesting" part 

• 3 weeks later...