Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IPS rework, handling it with a bit more realism

Fallen_Echo

Hello Tenno.

Im sure we all heard of the upcoming ips rework and the concerns it brings.  So i decided to make a rework based on the realistic effects of these damage types.

Impact: The proposed change is a forced ragdoll effect what might be useful for extensive CC but its also highly disrupting gameplay wise.

Now from a realistic approach, what happens when you get hit with high impact force?

Your visions blurs, your skull cracks, you get confused and you can straight up faint and die. So lets rework impact in this way.

Hitting a target with an impact proc causes the following effects:

1. On bodyshot: Heavy stagger, the most common effect as the body tries to resist the damage the enemies are unable to move. Chance 50%
  2. On bodyshot: Slow with stagger, the enemy took too much to handle and upon exiting the stagger they are briefly slowed. Chance 30%
  3. On headshot: Concussion, a common symptom of getting hit by blunt force. Upon getting impact procced the enemies lose their ability to see well and their accuracy decreases by 50%. Chance 50%
  4. On headshot: Heavy brain damage, as they got a harder hit from blunt force they suffer brain damage. Enemies are slowed, staggered and lose their ability to differentate allies from foes. Chane 30%
  5. On any shot on target: Fainting, the damage was too much and the body shuts down. When an enemy faints they simply fall to the floor in a vulnerable state where they receive +25% damage. Chance 20% 

Puncture: The proposed change is a stackable damage reduction what caps at 90%. While this is good at low levels its esentially useless on high one where skills what grant 95% damage reduction cant do anything about enemy damage.

Now what does puncture do?

e671f61576804ebccd5b388f12619ac5.jpg

Well seriously this does not look good. Even if the dude in that somehow survived, he wouldnt be able to move and attack well and most probably he has internal bleeding and the guy behind him is also in bad condition.

So lets use this up, hitting with a puncture proc applies the following effects:

1. Puncturing wound, a simple common effect the bullet goes throught the target granting minor punchtrought and ignoring the armor (25% armor ignore) of the main target. The armor effect has 3 sec duration and 2m punchtrought. The target is slowed and gets 25% reduce in accuracy for another 3 sec. Chance 40%
  2. Heavy puncturing strike, the attack destroyed the armor and broke bones creating dangerous shrapnel. Hitting a puncture proc creates a 1m cone aoe on the opposite side of the target releasing sharpnels dealing 25% of the weapons damage +5% of the targets current health. The target is unable to attack and move for 2 sec. Chance 30%
  3. Armor in ruins, as your weapons shredded up the armor of the target he is now more vulnerable then ever. For 6 seconds puncture damage ignores 50% armor and can proc internal bleeding dealing 10% of the total weapon damage in 6 ticks completely ignoring all defenses of the target.

Slash: the proposed change is to make the slash proc work off from the weapons slash damage. This practically means that every weapon what doesnt have slash damage cannot use the hunter munitions mod, the slash procs from stances get heavy nerfs and on overall the slash proc damage gets heavily decreased. I seriously cant find any good reason for this while the scaling system is still in its place.

Now everybody knows what slashing damage can do, it causes bleeding, removes limbs and other nasty effects.

So lets have this in mind and go on with the suggestiong of the new effects:

1. Basic bleeding: The target is losing blood from a cut and this makes him weaker. The enemy now suffers from minor bleeding dealing 20% weapon damage in 7 ticks over 6 seconds (finisher), if the target has less than 25% health left he gets 50% debuff to accuracy and becomes confused. Chance 50%
  2. Heavy bleeding: The target losing blood too fast and could faint any time. The nemy suffers from bleeding dealing 40% weapon damage in 8 ticks over 6 seconds (finisher), if the target has less than 25% health left theres a 10% chance the bleed procs make him faint and take +25% damage from impact damage. Chance 30%
  3. Neural damage: The targets nerves were damaged from the cuts and the blood loss. The enemy suffers from minor bleeding dealing 20% weapon damage in 7 ticks over 6 seconds (finisher) while also getting disoriented for the whole duration. In this state the enemy cant move normally, gets 25% accuracy penalty and cant use items and equipment. (no grenades, activating alarm, using shield drone, spawning maggots, etc..) Chance 15%
  4. Bloodloss: In this state the target lost too much blood and becomes unresponsive. The target is unable to move and defend himself and suffers from bleeding dealing 40% weapon damage in 8 ticks over 6 seconds (finisher), in this state the target receives +5% damage from all sources. Chance 5%

What do you think? These effect are based on what can these physical damage types can do and will surely make all three of them equally good choices.

4 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

What do you think?

Enemies die if they cannot get up - without any player input at all. A forced inability to get up is not appropriate.

My operator has killed a level 150 Corrupted Bombard Eximus in 1 hit this way.

The one thing you seem to have forgotten here. Enemies proc us with these too. Everything here is about how it will effect the enemy. Would this not be highly problematic to procs on players? I do not want to have to lie down without moving for an unspecified amount of time.

31 minutes ago, krc473 said:

The one thing you seem to have forgotten here. Enemies proc us with these too. Everything here is about how it will effect the enemy. Would this not be highly problematic to procs on players? I do not want to have to lie down without moving for an unspecified amount of time.

I know but we are not based on flesh at all. Every effect here is based on shooting a target who has flesh. From my knoweledge we are made out entirely of armor, therefore we count as robotic enemies.

While the puncture and stagger effects will stay, everything else shouldnt affect robotic targets.

At max you get staggered and slowed from impact, get punctured and get slight internal damage with puncture and minor bleeding at max from slash and this is applied to all robotic enemies and warframes.

I gotta admit it i forgot to write down how it will affect us.

16 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

I gotta admit it i forgot to write down how it will affect us.

So, this is basically an IPS rework for damage to Grineer and Infested?

16 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

From my knoweledge we are made out entirely of armor, therefore we count as robotic enemies.

But we do not count as robotic entities in damage calculations.

Warframes have Flesh and Ferrite armour. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0#Tenno

Edited by krc473

1 hour ago, D20 said:

I prefered the old idea of "knockback, knockdown, ragdoll". It's not especially realistic, but because ragdolling stuff with any impact based weapon sounds hillarious.

While can be hilarious, ragdolling enemies on high levels is counterproductive when you need them to die as soon as possible. RIP headshots, RIP reliably take down targets. It's annoying for you and your teammates. Ragdolling enemies potentially out of sight is a very bad thing. There is nothing that goes for it apart from having a laugh the first couple of times it happens.

2 hours ago, D20 said:

I prefered the old idea of "knockback, knockdown, ragdoll". It's not especially realistic, but because ragdolling stuff with any impact based weapon sounds hillarious.

that would turn most weapons with impact damage + status and high fire rate into trash tier, weapons like the akstilleto p.

if i want to CC enemies i will use blast damage or frame abilities, i dont need RNG knockdown and ragdolling  on my weapons, that would deny me the chance to do headshots.

Edited by minidelight

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

So, this is basically an IPS rework for damage to Grineer and Infested?

But we do not count as robotic entities in damage calculations.

Warframes have Flesh and Ferrite armour. 

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0#Tenno

Ohh damm, i was working off from the pvp mode. Well then i guess this rework idea can land in the trashcan.

22 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Ohh damm, i was working off from the pvp mode. Well then i guess this rework idea can land in the trashcan.

According to that page, Warframes have ferrite armour in PvP.

I do think some of the ideas in the OP are good. I would like to feel like the IPS status procs were useful. Your suggestions would achieve that. But they would have to be modified to avoid the whole player being killed too easily thing. And the issue with downed enemies dying. You kind of need realism meets gameplay viability.

6 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

I know but we are not based on flesh at all. Every effect here is based on shooting a target who has flesh. From my knoweledge we are made out entirely of armor, therefore we count as robotic enemies.

Warframes are metal shells surrounding Infested flesh, hence why toxins and bleeding affect us, and why we need life support.