The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feeling under powered against high level enemies

OG_J04DAN

Question

I feel like I am maybe missing something. I am a new player. I have maxed my rank on my Excalibur and my Skana and I am nearing max rank on my Soma Prime. However, anytime I try to do any bounty from PoE that is level 20-30 I am doing very little damage even with sustained fire from my Soma. What do I need to do to get powerful enough to feel like a God?

12 answers to this question

10 минут назад, OG_J04DAN сказал:

I feel like I am maybe missing something. I am a new player. I have maxed my rank on my Excalibur and my Skana and I am nearing max rank on my Soma Prime. However, anytime I try to do any bounty from PoE that is level 20-30 I am doing very little damage even with sustained fire from my Soma. What do I need to do to get powerful enough to feel like a God?

Change weapon and wf, polarize them, use top and rare mods and builds.

A simple advice: Get better mods.

A slightly more complex advice: Soma Prime is a good weapon, but to use it to its fullest potential, you need to mod it for crit and right elemental damage (on plains either radiation - for harder targets or corrosive for general armor stripping). Also you need to check you have all the "mandatory" mods in for pure damage (Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber) and if you have those maxed out. Once you do, you will start feeling like a god.

Also this only covers Soma Prime, but same principle applies to your frame and other weapons.

Forma excal or change to another frame and forma them. You’ll want to make use of a large health pool/High Armor or frames that work great with the Quick Thinking + Rage combo.

Soma Prime is fine mod for crit and either radiation or viral for tusk Grineer. My build involves a few acolyte mods tho.

EDIT: The Handspring exilus mod goes a very long way especially out in the plains. 

Edited by (XB1)OTF SERENiTY

you need MAG using Crush and Vectis (prime) 

either Crush them and one shot the enemies if still alive

or shoot them with the Vectis in the face (usually one shot)

You will breeze through 

Also looks super cool always a bonus

Edited by Retchid

It doesn't matter if weapons and warframes are maxed unless you have enough mods to support. 

A Maxed out serration would make a hell lot of different by +165% damage.

Equipment wise it is fair simply to get many frames and weapons, but most likely doesn't solve the issue of not having 
mods that is decently leveled up to be outfitted on them.

The issue of not having enough endo and credits to fuse mods will most likely haunt new players until they are around MR8 or MR9

For starter Soma Prime is very mod-reliant, meaning if you don't have a maxed point strike and vital sense 
it would do very little damage non-crit wise. 

Pistol wise you might want to grab a Lex from the Market for 50k credit once you are MR3, the base damage is decently high without
mods and for a short while until your mods are leveled to a certain extend it might even out-perform primary weapons in terms of single shot damage.  It is used like Desert Eagle or Magnum pistol with slower rate of fire with high damage and recoil.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

Obligatory link to a place you can find and design builds so you know what mods to look for.

http://warframe-builder.com/

As MrThumpy says don't forgot your elemental mods. Many new players (myself included back in the day) don't think to add elemental damage and that makes up about a third of your damage. You should have at least 2 generally speaking and with the right types they will combine into other types. Obviously some types are better against specific enemies. Here is a handy page...

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0

Hi @OG_J04DAN, welcome to Warframe !

I now this game can be a little overwhelming in the beginning; lots of mechanics and systems and terms, damage times, missions, frames, and so on, and not everything is properly explained to us.

I'll try to present you some important concepts of the game and, please, forgive me if you already now some of them.

First, as an advise, I suggest you watch some streamers, specially the "Warframe partners" lots of helpful information. Search for builds of your favorite frames and weapons, they tend to explain the whats-and-whys for every build choice.

Also, the frame/weapon level doesn't mean increase in power. Sure, frames gets more health, energy and new abilities, but the increase is marginal compared to the real power-ups, the Mods. Levels actually means the amount and level of mods we can equip.

There are tons of them, each for a specific build, type of mission, frame, etc ... [Vitality], [Redirection], [Continuity], [Streamline] and Intensify are some of the most important ones; 99% of all frames have them equip (save for some highly specialized builds). Also, some of the must-haves require grind and high level play, such as the Corrupted mods such as [Fleeting Expertise], [Transient Fortitude], [Blind Rage], [Overextended], [Heavy Caliber], to name a few. These require you to do a special kind of mission we call "Vault Runs" (or something similar xD). For those, you'll need Dragon Keys (I'll leave it at that for now, not to make this reply bigger than it already is). There are some Primed versions of said mods, but it's too early for that.

Also, to take full advantage of Mods, you'll need Catalysts (for weapons) and Reactors (for frames), they double your mod capacity, and are an absolute must for your favorite weapons and frames (we call them "Potatoes" some times). You can buy them at the market for plat, but their blueprints come from time to time on Alerts, specially the "Gift of Lotus" ones. Keep an eye for them.

Type of damage is important too, as each faction is more susceptible to one time or another, and they may change as their ranks get higher (for instance, the normal Grinner Lancer is weak to Corrosive Dmg, but the Elite Lancer is to Radiation Dmg). I'd have to talk about elemental combos here, but it would drag on to a whole new topic.

So, I tried to summarize some of the most general important aspects, but each weapon and frame have their own particularities.

TL;DR (or more to sum up): Learn a bit about Catalysts and Reactors for Mods, Damage types and Builds
Also, youtubers/twitch streamers for lots of useful tips and insights.

I know there's just to much to digest. Warframe is an ever-growing game and some players have been around since the early beginning, so it indeed takes time to learn, but still, for me at least, that's part of the fun !

Lastly, feel free to contact me should you have any doubts or need some help in-game.

Welcome aboard Tenno !

There are several walls in this game. To break the first wall, you will need rare mods for your weapon and warframes. They are best buy for platinum. To break the second wall, you will need to level up different warframes. Each warframe has its own niche. Invisibility, crowd control and other abilitys is very useful at high levels. And finally the third wall, endgame content - sortie missions, Orokin vaults and so on. To break it, you will need the help of other players. This endgame content will give you a rare mods to break the first wall. And you can sell them for platinum for those who have just started their way.

I was on your stage a few weeks ago. Though I had a lowly Boltor but lvl 20+ enemies was really a huge wall for me. My main problem was I only had an unranked Serration. 

22 hours ago, MrThumpy said:

A simple advice: Get better mods.

A slightly more complex advice: Soma Prime is a good weapon, but to use it to its fullest potential, you need to mod it for crit and right elemental damage (on plains either radiation - for harder targets or corrosive for general armor stripping). Also you need to check you have all the "mandatory" mods in for pure damage (Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber) and if you have those maxed out. Once you do, you will start feeling like a god.

Also this only covers Soma Prime, but same principle applies to your frame and other weapons.

Do what this guy says especially the Serration, Split Chamber and Heavy Calliber close to maxed as you can. Did it with my Braton Prime with a potato and its been my staple weapon for now shredding through most enemies up to lvl40 mobs

The most important part of learning how to mod your weapons is what is most suitable for each one but also modding for your probable target is more important at lower levels.  If your weapon only does 300 damage then a more suitable type will be more effective and give you say 500 effective damage.  Using the wrong type might only be 75 effective damage.  However if you do 20,000 damage it doesn't matter until you hit the highest level enemies.

If the weapon has a strong crit chance (around 25%) mod for that 

If the weapon has a high status chance mod for that, but the dual stat mods which are your best option there tend to drop from certain missions or enemies like corrupted Vor.

Serration will always be there and at as high as you can afford, but once it's at level 8 (dots filled not 8 points) you can wait a little as rank 9 cost as much again as you already spent.

For Crit use Point Strike and Vital Sense to boost crit chance and the damage from it.  Heavy Calibre has been mentioned but it's not for all weapons as it can make your accuracy terrible.

Combine single elements for greater effectiveness.

Electric and Toxin for Corrosive

Electric and Heat for Radiation

Electric and Cold for Magnetic 

Heat and Cold for Blast

Heat and Toxin for Gas

Cold and Toxin for Viral

Enemies take more damage from certain types of elemental damage 

uqSxITt.png

5W8yb5u.png

One other tip from my early days, I found it useful to have different ranks for elemental mods to fit into stuff while ranking them like say rank 2, 4, 6 of Toxin, electric etc then you can use all you available points at each rank.

Edited by Sabreracer

I think most players have been in your shoes, and it's a bit of a hurdle to get past.  Here are my suggestions:

• Mods are the most important part of your gear, both for Warframes and weapons.  Especially early on, I recommend the ones that increase your health, shields, and damage.  I would also recommend weapon mods that increase Multishot and elemental damage (Toxin, Electricity, Fire, Cold) if you have access to them.

• When you find mods that increase the stats you think are important, level those mods up.  This may take some time, as it costs Endo and credits, and the higher level your mods the more it will cost.  But it's worth it, because you will always have these mods for any weapons or Warframes you use in the future.

The above two tips will get you most of the way there.  Here are some more tips that are less important at first, but will help you go the distance in the future:

• As someone else already suggested, learn about the different damage types and what enemies they are good against.  Honestly, it's a super-complicated system, so don't feel bad if it takes a long time to figure it all out.  Since you probably aren't swimming in Endo and credits to level up all the elemental mods, I would recommend focusing on Heat and Electricity, which can be used to make Radiation damage.  In my opinion, this element tends to be pretty useful against most enemies, and it is pretty good against the tougher Grineer in the Plains.

• Don't just go to the Plains of Eidolon!  Progress the game by visiting as many planets as you can; this is the original path that players were meant to level up on (and I mean more than your Warframe level), and I'm guessing the Plains doesn't provide as "smooth" of an experience because of how significantly the levels of enemies can jump up.

• Try as many different weapons as you can.  In particular, the starting weapons just have lower stats than most of the weapons you can craft in the game.  If you make a weapon and you don't like it, it's not a loss!  Level it to 30 and then throw it away; every piece of equipment you level up contributes to raising your Mastery Rank, which will allow you to use stronger weapons and do more quests.

• Unlike weapons, you can succeed with any Warframe.  Granted, some may be easier than others, but it largely depends on your style.  I recommend trying some new ones once you find the parts (you can get them from the bosses of each planet), but only so you can understand your options a bit more.  It's entirely possible to take Excalibur all the way to the end of the game, so if you like him, don't feel any pressure to change.

• Some people will suggest you use Forma, Orokin Catalysts, and Orokin Reactors to make your stuff stronger.  And yes, this will make you stronger.  But I also want to stress that these are rare resources and you do not need to use these until much higher levels of content.  I would recommend saving resources like these until you find weapons and Warframes that you really love...and you won't know that until you play the field a bit more.

Hope this all helps!  Good luck!