Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operator Void Mode Delayed When Using Controller

AugmentedJustice

When PoE was released and Operator controls were changed alongside Focus 2.0, I was really impressed by how seamlessly I could switch in and out of Operator mode, do a thing, and switch back. I would incorporate Void Dashing into melee attacks and use Energizing Dash to maintain power use. I would transition in and out of Void Mode to dodge Teralyst attacks while taking down his shields. I had fun as the Operator, it was great.

Then, somewhere down the line in the myriad of hotfixes, the Operator became unable to seamlessly enter Void Mode. Instead, there is now a full second delay when holding crouch before it activates. Of course, no one is up in arms about it because, for some reason, this issue only affects controller users. On keyboard there is no such delay, which is baffling to me.

This delay makes fighting the Teralyst extremely frustrating since I can't instantly enter Void Mode to dodge atracks anymore. Doing Kuva Siphons/Floods are a chore because I have to wait before I can dash through Kuva Guardians. And long gone are the days of incorporating Energizing Dash into my melee combos.

I dont use keyboard/mouse controls because I find them awkward and, more importantly, it is physically painful for me to play that way due to an injury in my left wrist. At first the delay was just a minor annoyance, but its persistance has made it frustrating to play this game as the Operator.

There are clearly more important things to fix than a small issue that affects an (I assume) equally small subsection of the player base. Like that SMB protocol thing that people are understandably mad about. But this Tenno/Space Dog would really appreciate the issue getting looked at nonetheless.

Thank.

Edited by Kubrowe

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 10:51 PM, TyrianMollusk said:

Something has changed now on the Operator mode.  I'm on PC with controller, and instead of hitting LB (crouch) and A (jump) to dash, I have to tap LB, wait, then hit A.  This is annoying and awkward, so I hope it is a bug.

We also STILL have the bug where pressing RB and LB to exit transference bugs out if you don't hold RB and wait for it to finish (you get stuck in the power menu until you hold RB a bit, which screws your inputs up until you notice).  Very annoying and basically prevents using operator mode like it's integrated in the game play.  It's an awkward, buggy thing I have to use mindfully and deliberately.

So that's the key to the controller bug on PC.

And I agree: using Operators on a controller is an awkward, cumbersome mess. If Zenurik didn't grant energy Regen I'd use my Operator once per mission for passives and likely not do it again most times.

Edited by BlackCoMerc

This, coincidentally, is how Void Dash can work for a player who has access to controls that actually function. 

I have these parts of the Focus tree unlocked, and I'm struggling to even capture a Kuva stream because of the delays and because Void Dash frequently fails to engage at all.
Looks quite fun. Looks like DE's vision of the Operator as an asset to gameplay might be getting further than I had expected. 

Can people on console do this? Or is it only controller users on PC who are still, nearly two months later, playing a truncated version of the game? 

Yes, I'm shamelessly playing the martyr, but this is getting frustrating and I have yet to hear a word - or for that matter been asked for more details so we can even offer DE any help to work this out. 

On 12/18/2017 at 5:41 AM, Wiergate said:

This, coincidentally, is how Void Dash can work for a player who has access to controls that actually function. 

I have these parts of the Focus tree unlocked, and I'm struggling to even capture a Kuva stream because of the delays and because Void Dash frequently fails to engage at all.
Looks quite fun. Looks like DE's vision of the Operator as an asset to gameplay might be getting further than I had expected. 

Can people on console do this? Or is it only controller users on PC who are still, nearly two months later, playing a truncated version of the game? 

Yes, I'm shamelessly playing the martyr, but this is getting frustrating and I have yet to hear a word - or for that matter been asked for more details so we can even offer DE any help to work this out. 

Agreed. It's really frustrating. And a little embarrassing, to be honest.

This should never have passed QA...another hint that PC players increasingly ARE the (uncompensated) QA team now...but this needs fixed. Badly.

• 3 weeks later...

Using Void Mode on controllers/consoles has been extremely clunky to use since PoE came out. It worked just fine all the way from TWW until recently. My best guess is with the introduction of PoE they needed to assign operator slide and for some reason assigned it to what void mode previously was. It used to be tap to activate, now it's hold to activate, which more often than not leads to this jump-slide dance shown in the GIF instead of void dash

I understand the devs are super busy, but even just an acknowledgement that it's a known issue is all we need. All that needs to be done is swap Void Mode with Operator slide on the controller scheme. PC can separate crouch and roll to fix this, consoles can't, and it worked just fine the way before

Void Dash does work, it's just more clunky/annoying to use. I should have dashed at least 10-15 times in the GIF provided, it worked for the year prior, now you have to hold to fully activate it. Mostly an issue when inputting commands quickly, but it wasn't an issue at all before PoE. Can this change please be reverted back? 

You can dash, yes, but you can not go straight from frame > operator > void mode > dash fluidly like you used to be able to, because the tap to enter Void Mode button assignment has been replaced with tap to slide, and Void Mode was changed to hold to activate.

I know I'm not the only one because here are plenty of people that agree that it is a very real, and very annoying issue

This is me, trying for 15 seconds (it was originally 30) to use Void Dash by inputting the exact same commands at the same pace that I did before PoE. The exact same way I farmed literally millions of Kuva. It's super frustrating. It's been months now.

giphy.gif

Edited by (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am

Why are you jumping before you slide? Void Dash isn't X + L1.. That's completely backwards... You L1 and then press X...  

There have been a few times where I'll bunny hop in place if i don't do it right but void dashing on ps4 is working, I can zoom all around the map upwards and sideways.

Edit: Unless you have your controls set up differently than I do, I use O for melee and R1 to bring up skills menu, maybe that has something to do with it. Idk

Edited by (PS4)Musicopia

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Why are you jumping before you slide? Void Dash isn't X + L1.. That's completely backwards... You L1 and then press X...  

I'm... I'm not... what you are seeing is the exact same "bunny hop" that you talked about in the very next sentence of your reply. What I'm doing in the GIF is the EXACT same thing that I have been doing for an entire year to Void Dash before PoE. At the same speed that I always did from muscle memory

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

but void dashing on ps4 is working

Actually reading the original post is probably a super useful thing to do if you want to contribute to the conversation

Edited by (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am

Just now, (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am said:

I'm... I'm not... what you are seeing is the exact same "bunny hop" that you talked about in the very next sentence of your reply. What I'm doing in the GIF is the EXACT same thing that I have been doing for an entire year before PoE. 

Actually reading the original post is probably a super useful thing to do if you want to contribute to the conversation

Lol ok so the dozens of times i void dashed on ps4 this morning was all a dream.. It's working fine for me, sorry bout your luck.

50 minutes ago, (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am said:

Void Dash does work, it's just more clunky/annoying to use.

You can dash, yes, but you can not go straight from frame > operator > void mode > dash fluidly like you used to be able to

Just now, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Lol ok so the dozens of times i void dashed on ps4 this morning was all a dream.. It's working fine for me, sorry bout your luck.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am said:

You can dash, yes, but you can not go straight from frame > operator > void mode > dash fluidly like you used to be able to

But..you can do that.. I do it every single mission. 

There's nothing more to be gained from this conversation, Good luck tenno. 

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

But..you can do that.. I do it every single mission. 

There's nothing more to be gained from this conversation, Good luck tenno. 

Oh, I agree, but I have some time to kill. How exactly is it that you can do all that fluidly, like it says, when the tap button to enter void mode was replaced with operator slide? You have to hold it to engage void mode. Period. You used to be able to tap it and then immediately dash. I did it to farm millions of Kuva. You no longer can, because the tap assignment for that button was changed to something else; the slide. Like the OP said multiple times, you can do it, if you do everything less fluidly than before, but it is physically impossible to initiate the dash off of a tap like you could the entire year before PoE came out because now the controller scheme is different.

Oh, I agree, but I have some time to kill. How exactly is it that you can do all that fluidly, like it says, when the tap button to enter void mode was replaced with operator slide? You have to hold it to engage void mode. Period. You used to be able to tap it and then immediately dash. I did it to farm millions of Kuva. You no longer can, because the tap assignment for that button was changed to something else; the slide. Like the OP said multiple times, you can do it, if you do everything less fluidly than before, but it is physically impossible to initiate the dash off of a tap like you could the entire year before PoE came out because now the controller scheme is different.

R1 + L1 = transference, Hold L1 + x = dash, R1 + L1 = back into warframe

Yes, which would make it different than before, because it used to be:

R1 + L1 = transference, tap L1 + x = dash, R1 + L1 = back into warframe

We finally agree.

I just don't understand how in the gif you were just hopping, the only time that happens to me is if I dont hold the L1 right. Like i literally go R1 + L1 straight into the hold L1. Granted I came back right before PoE maybe im just used to the way it is now.

Edited by (PS4)Musicopia

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

I just don't understand how in the gif you were literally just hopping, the only time that happens to me is if I dont hold the L1 right. Like i literally go R1 + L1 straight into the hold L1. Granted I came back right before PoE maybe im just used to the way it is now.

It does seem that way, but I assure that I am actually inputting the same commands, and at the same speed that I used to to use Void Dash lol. They had to add in the slide during PoE and it took the "tap" assignment and void mode went to "hold" instead, and while now you can still do it, 100%, it used to be much, much faster and more fluid to do.

The weird slide-hop stuff you're seeing in the GIF is where I press L1 and it slides, and then I press X and it jumps, and so on and so forth.

Wasn't trying to be rude earlier either, sorry about that.

It does seem that way, but I assure that I am actually inputting the same commands, and at the same speed that I used to to use Void Dash lol. They had to add in the slide during PoE and it took the "tap" assignment and void mode went to "hold" instead, and while now you can still do it, 100%, it used to be much, much faster and more fluid to do.

The weird slide-hop stuff you're seeing in the GIF is where I press L1 and it slides, and then I press X and it jumps, and so on and so forth.

Wasn't trying to be rude earlier either, sorry about that.

When I get on tonight I'll try to see exactly how fast i can kid + dash + warframe. Yea it's all good man I can understand how you'd be frustrated, didn't mean to diminish your problem either. I'm max quills with like 2 weeks of extra standing I hunt a LOT of Teralysts for Brilliant Shards so I'm in and out of my Chroma constantly and all my waybounds are on my Zenurik so I'm dashing a ton as well.

My guess is maybe you're hitting X just like a millisecond to fast? i could see how just having to tap before would be a lot better, but then what would they put the kid slide on?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

My guess is maybe you're hitting X just like a millisecond to fast? i could see how just having to tap before would be a lot better, but then what would they put the kid slide on?

I'm undeniably either holding some buttons too long or not long enough, but the reason that a lot of us are frustrated is because it used to be insanely easy and really fast to do, and now that has changed to add the gimmicky slide that a lot of people don't even regularly use, and some don't even know it exists. I know on PC you double tap crouch to make the little kid slide. If that won't work then there are tons of other unused operator buttons. The slide is fun sometimes, but void dashing is an integral part of the game (for operator bonuses and Kuva farming). I'd rather dash take precedent over the slide

the issue is you have to pause for a second now where you didn't before - either pause to stop moving or 'pause' by holding the void mode button.  The bunny hop is when you are trying to void dash IMMEDIATELY and the annoying slide is when you are trying to void mode IMMEDIATELY.  Both of which of course are  things you want to do immediately - bunny hop and slide are things I want to do maybe once in a- oh I don't know - NEVER.

I can't stand the controls since POE and although i'm getting used to it, its still clunky and crappy.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)TexasTwurkT3am said:

I'm undeniably either holding some buttons too long or not long enough, but the reason that a lot of us are frustrated is because it used to be insanely easy and really fast to do, and now that has changed to add the gimmicky slide that a lot of people don't even regularly use, and some don't even know it exists. I know on PC you double tap crouch to make the little kid slide. If that won't work then there are tons of other unused operator buttons. The slide is fun sometimes, but void dashing is an integral part of the game (for operator bonuses and Kuva farming). I'd rather dash take precedent over the slide

I have Mind Step unbound so for me at least, sprint + slide in operator mode is pretty decent movement. I'm failing to think of any other button they could put slide on :/ 

Like I said earlier, I think I've just gotten used to the way that it is now and it's become like second nature to me. I've farmed my fair share of kuva as well.

Well maybe Square could be slide? Does square do anything in operator mode? I don't think it does.

Edited by (PS4)Musicopia

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Well maybe Square could be slide? Does square do anything in operator mode? I don't think it does.

That's what I was thinking earlier but square still does the context action and picks stuff up which is useful in some cases. Triangle might be too far away, but it'd still work, I think. I think double tapping slide would be optimal to keep it in the same general area but unsure if there are any complications

That's what I was thinking earlier but square still does the context action and picks stuff up which is useful in some cases. Triangle might be too far away, but it'd still work, I think. I think double tapping slide would be optimal to keep it in the same general area but unsure if there are any complications

Duh, in my haste to find a solution i forgot about the context action, aka reviving. I always kid mode to revive lul not sure how i forgot that. Triangle could work I feel like double tapping to slide would be clunky as well.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Musicopia said:

Duh, in my haste to find a solution i forgot about the context action, aka reviving. I always kid mode to revive lul not sure how i forgot that. Triangle could work I feel like double tapping to slide would be clunky as well.

I used it on PC and despite being terrible with KBM it's not too, too bad. They should just let us assign it tbh. Unlock "Operator controls" after TWW or something