Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Needs Gunswords

Scarletmenace

I think Warframe would be a lot cooler if it had a hybrid weapon for the masters of guns and swords. Like a gunsword; a gun in its standards form to shoot, but folds outwards to form some sort of blade for the melee. I haven't thought of how much of a purpose to how it will work besides awesome appearance, BUT I also think that the gunsword could just be a ranged melee weapon like the glaive

Edited by Scarletmenace

it will be a butthurt to implement into current system

or it will lack one of its 2 ways of usage

like I said, their is probably a way around this mess, that's what I am hoping u guys can figure out. But I will also try to figure it out..... Also This idea makes me feel like I am making ressi's cups :D a blend of both gun and blade for that sweet sweet delight

even so, it still fits the concept idea of warframe and the tenno: master's of both gun and blades

I disagree. It does not fit into the current setting. A weapon that fits two completely different roles is usually a compromise of both. It only works in super over-the-top cartoons. Which Warfrane is not.

Or Final Fantasy.

Exactly.

even if warframe is not anime and not final fantasy

tenno follows some kind of evolved bushido....

not too far

Still, in warframe we have pistols, shotguns, rifles, and melee weapons. All which are used in actual battle. Never in the history of ever has there been a hybrid melee/ranged weapon that could even remotely perform well in both categories.

I'm not saying Warframe is realistic, but it's lore does follow a certain level of realism. Gunswords does not fit this.

this weapon would work perfectly it would be like the sentinals set up where you have the body and weapon separate. Equipping a multi use weapon would just use the same picture and have different mod sections for each function. It is a fantasy setting so having combo weapons would allow for some insane possibilities.

If you wanted a bayonet type of 'gunsword' it would probably work, but if you're thinking about a weapon that's a sword and can fire bullets (like Squall's gunblade) then that really wouldn't happen. It works in Final Fantasy because it's a fantasy game with magic, and thus everything can be explained with 'magic'.

But if you were to look at the gunblade practically, before even getting into all the details of actually making it work. You need to aim, it's a giant sword, you're unlikely to be able to extend your arm like it was a pistol, it would be too heavy, it would be held more like a shotgun. Now, back to the part where it's a blade, it's sharp, now say you do manage to hold it without slicing your fingers off, there will still be recoil to it that will very likely cause you to lose that very delicate, finger protecting, grip and depending on the recoil you might just as well then have a gunsword lodged in your shoulder.

But if you were to look at the gunblade practically, before even getting into all the details of actually making it work. You need to aim, it's a giant sword, you're unlikely to be able to extend your arm like it was a pistol, it would be too heavy, it would be held more like a shotgun. Now, back to the part where it's a blade, it's sharp, now say you do manage to hold it without slicing your fingers off, there will still be recoil to it that will very likely cause you to lose that very delicate, finger protecting, grip and depending on the recoil you might just as well then have a gunsword lodged in your shoulder.

These would be valid points... if Tenno were typical humans. Which they don't seem to be (they seem much stronger than normal people, so carrying the gun and handling the recoil shouldn't be too hard for them).

Edited by aa777nx

Never in the history of ever has there been a hybrid melee/ranged weapon that could even remotely perform well in both categories.

Yugoslavian-PAP-M59-66-(SKS)-bayonet-ext

Thanks for proving my point. That is a great, war proven rifle with a bayonet attached. Which would make a terrible sword. But is decent for poking at things when you're out of ammo. Any trained soldier will tell you that a knfe in the hand is far deadlier than a bayonet on a rifle. Hence the compromise and my point.

Also this is about gunswords and something trying to fit TWO distinct roles. A bayonet is not that. A bayonet is nothing but a last resort.

Thanks for proving my point. That is a great, war proven rifle with a bayonet attached. Which would make a terrible sword. But is decent for poking at things when you're out of ammo. Any trained soldier will tell you that a knfe in the hand is far deadlier than a bayonet on a rifle. Hence the compromise and my point.

Also this is about gunswords and something trying to fit TWO distinct roles. A bayonet is not that. A bayonet is nothing but a last resort.

I posted the rifle with a bayonet to disprove your statement about there not being a weapon that could "remotely preform well" at both melee and ranged combat. Of course, for a gunsword, the blade would be much larger (and more deadlier as a result).

I posted the rifle with a bayonet to disprove your statement about there not being a weapon that could "remotely preform well" at both melee and ranged combat. Of course, for a gunsword, the blade would be much larger (and more deadlier as a result).

Both duties at the same time. An SKS with a Bayonet makes a pretty poor knife. Still a great rifle. So it's still only doing one job well. That's my point.

If all you want is bayonets on current rifles sure. But a latron with a bayonet could never be more effective at hacking/slashing/stabbing than any dagger without being ridiculous. See my point?

Edited by Aramahn

Both duties at the same time. An SKS with a Bayonet makes a pretty poor knife. Still a great rifle. So it's still only doing one job well. That's my point.

If all you want is bayonets on current rifles sure. But a latron with a bayonet could never be more effective at hacking/slashing/stabbing than any dagger without being ridiculous. See my point?

Could you explain to me how a Bayonet on the end of a rifle is a poor knife? Sure, wielding a knife in your hand gives you more mobility, but with a Bayonet, you have a longer reach and a better grip (and probably more force, too).

Still, in warframe we have pistols, shotguns, rifles, and melee weapons. All which are used in actual battle. Never in the history of ever has there been a hybrid melee/ranged weapon that could even remotely perform well in both categories.

I'm not saying Warframe is realistic, but it's lore does follow a certain level of realism. Gunswords does not fit this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

well there is a gunsword in history

Bayonet's were originally fitted to muskets. Not because some guy said, "you know what would make my knife better? If I put it on the end of my musket! AMIRITE!?"

No, they were there because it took so long to reload and it made for a makeshift spear for charging the line of an opposing force.

Now slowly but surely, as trench warfare and the like has faded from the battlefield, so has the bayonet. It's just not as an effective use of a blade. Plus today, most standing armies have the funds to outfit their soldiers with a far superior close range weapon. The pistol.

Don't give me the stealth argument either. If you have the opportunity to kill somebody quietly with a blade, you use a blade, in your hand, where you have more control, due to your off hand being free to help subdue the target. Not strap it to the end of your battle rifle and go all stabby stabby.

Now slowly but surely, as trench warfare and the like has faded from the battlefield, so has the bayonet. It's just not as an effective use of a blade. Plus today, most standing armies have the funds to outfit their soldiers with a far superior close range weapon. The pistol.

The Bayonet hasn't faded yet.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865

As for the pistol... well, you've got me there. But we're forgetting one thing: this is a game. Games are meant to be fun. And giving the player access to unique, interesting weapons is all part of the fun, regardless of whether or not the weapon is practical.

Edited by aa777nx

I'm a power armored ninja backflipping through a space ship slicing up an army of clones with my sword made from materials that don't actually exist and shooting them with a flamethrower that freezes people.

But some sort of combination of a gun and a sword would be silly and unrealistic.

Edited by Jandor