Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Needs Gunswords

Scarletmenace

It won't fit the universe, though. This combination, like in this pic above, designed to give a warrior and upper hand in combat, since he won't need to waste time swithing from melee to range. This won't fit Warframe universe because there are no equall combatants to Tenno, so they can waste all the time in world swithing weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

well there is a gunsword in history

On the battlefield, used as a pistol it would score far worse than a standard pistol. And as a sword would not be nearly as effective as a standard sword. There are countless weapons like this in history. Usually just the result of a gunsmith or engineers tinkering. None of which proved very useful.

Think of it like a cane/shotgun. As a cane it's heavy and combersome. As a shotgun it's sub par at best. Sure it can be hidden in plain site. But that by no means makes it an effective battle weapon.

The Bayonet hasn't faded yet.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865

As for the pistol... well, you've got me there. But we're forgetting one thing: this is a game. Games are meant to be fun. And giving the player access to unique, interesting weapons is all part of the fun, regardless of whether or not the weapon is practical.

No I didn't say the bayonet has totally vanished. The US army still trains with them in boot camp. But on the battlefield they are rarely ever used because there are better ways to get the job done.

Still I agree, the idea does work well in a game. A game like Final Fantasy. Not Warframe.

Yet, the best sword in battle is a well made sword. Same as a battle rifle or pistol. To mix these, you cannot have both without compromises.

In this game I'm a ninja. A ninja is the surgeon of the battlefield. He doesn't need a huge mass of a weapon with a bunch of attachments trying to force it to fit different roles. A ninja, being a surgeon, wants a scalpel. A weapon that is designed to be the best at it's one job.

Primary - Majority of the killing at range.

Secondary - A trusty backup or something to complement your primary

Melee - CQB

This is why I don't like the glaive. It's full of flare and looks amazing. But it makes for a mediocre CQB weapon an equally dismal ranged weapon.

Bayonet's were originally fitted to muskets. Not because some guy said, "you know what would make my knife better? If I put it on the end of my musket! AMIRITE!?"

No, they were there because it took so long to reload and it made for a makeshift spear for charging the line of an opposing force.

Now slowly but surely, as trench warfare and the like has faded from the battlefield, so has the bayonet. It's just not as an effective use of a blade. Plus today, most standing armies have the funds to outfit their soldiers with a far superior close range weapon. The pistol.

Don't give me the stealth argument either. If you have the opportunity to kill somebody quietly with a blade, you use a blade, in your hand, where you have more control, due to your off hand being free to help subdue the target. Not strap it to the end of your battle rifle and go all stabby stabby.

if you hand a knife and i had a spear i am pretty sure i would win due to my range and the fact i would be able to use 2 hands allowing me to apply more power,oh and not to mention alot of armed forces still use bayonets so i doubt they suck that much dues to the fact they are still around but ehh this is a game and if your dont like the ideas of a gunblade then i wouldnt like to here your opinion on the glavie ;)

if you hand a knife and i had a spear i am pretty sure i would win due to my range and the fact i would be able to use 2 hands allowing me to apply more power,oh and not to mention alot of armed forces still use bayonets so i doubt they suck that much dues to the fact they are still around but ehh this is a game and if your dont like the ideas of a gunblade then i wouldnt like to here your opinion on the glavie ;)

But we're not talking about spears and knives. Yes a spear beats a knife, but a quality spear makes a better spear than a knife fixed to the end of a rifle. I'm talking about the best weapon for the job.

Yes, even the US issued Kabar has a bayonet ring on it. But I can tell you with an enormous amount of certainty that it is rarely, if ever, used in battle in that configuration. Which is why I said, for the most part, the sidearm has replaced the need for a bayonet.

Look, I'm not the only one who said it doesn't fit in Warframe. I'm just the one who said why.

Here's the thing:
Using a bayonet did not turn your gun into a spear, UNLESS the gun was weight to be a spear, in which case it would make a HORRID gun.
A gunblade does not work.

They were never historically used. Tat wikipedia page that's filled with pistols with bayonets? Those were never actually used for combat. They were too impractical, as attaching them to each other made them both useless. You could aim with the gun without being in knifing range, and you couldn't stab with the knife because a pistol grip is terrible for thrusting.
Those who say the whole "stab and shoot" don't realize that it would jam your gun. With people jam.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far, and gunblades are horrid weapons that make for poor performance as both a gun and a blade.
A bayonet was a dirt cheap way of being able to conscript people to use as both riflemen and pikemen when they couldn't reload.
Yes, modern guns often have bayonet rings. No, they not often used. Why? Because unless you already have it fixed, you can't use it in convention combat, as you can't (Or can barely) use the gun with the knife attached to it, and we don't exactly storm trenches or set against cavalry charges anymore.

All in all, a gunblade is nothing more than a "cool awesome Final Fantasy" weapon that gives preteen boys wet dreams.
While bayonets might one day see light in Warframe, it is more likely that we'll see it used by a new Grineer Lancer type. We have no use for bayonets, granted we instant draw our weapons for attacking.

It's almost as if this thread isn't on the front page still...

Same statement I made there, the only really "logical" way to combine gun and blade is if you make it a recoil based weapon- as in use the poor balance and awkwardness to your advantage. Actually allows for enough suspesion of disbelief to really work, from what I've seen with regards to RWBY. Which, to my knowledge, was the first work to actually present the idea.

Anyways, unless it's Crescent Rose, I don't want it, and I don't want to task DE with implementing both the mechanics and the controls for Crescent Rose.

And if you don't know what Crescent Rose is, well...

. Edited by TheBlueJelly

But we're not talking about spears and knives. Yes a spear beats a knife, but a quality spear makes a better spear than a knife fixed to the end of a rifle. I'm talking about the best weapon for the job.

Yes, even the US issued Kabar has a bayonet ring on it. But I can tell you with an enormous amount of certainty that it is rarely, if ever, used in battle in that configuration. Which is why I said, for the most part, the sidearm has replaced the need for a bayonet.

Look, I'm not the only one who said it doesn't fit in Warframe. I'm just the one who said why.

yeah why do i need to use a knife when i have a helicopter with 8 machineguns, no rly

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bayonet-charge-foils-enemy-ambush

As for Warframe, I agree that it doesn't fit in the universe at all.

Gunswords as in a sword with a working gun are a bit moot when we can easily carry one of each to do the same thing but better (can you imagine what modding THAT monstrosity would be like?)

but, gun swords ala the final fantasy variety are a whole different beast. (and i am aware that that's not what TC suggested)

Gunblades are essentially melee weapons, but with triggers that, when activated, discharge a shot of energy through the blade, adding a burst of lightning / explosive / ??? to the attack.

I think it might be a neat idea, a melee weapon that has a limited charge, (say, 3 or so charges) where it will hit like a truck and do bonus damage on those hits, but it regenerates a charge once every 10 seconds or so. Like a Prime chamber mod for Melee weapons, it increases the burst damage of a weapon massively, but the overall dps is limited by the 'recharge time' of those charges.

hell, maybe even make this into a mod, you could then make it so that damage doesn't scale with weapon speed (e.g, a scythe hit would gain the same bonus damage that a dagger would).

end result? those fast weapons now have awesome burst dps capacity by letting you drop all the charges at once, but won't overpower slower weapons as they both run out of 'steam' through charges.

eh, would be fun i guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword

well there is a gunsword in history

This is from that same link you posted

Pistol swords were not widely used and became uncommon relatively quickly, due to their expense and because instead of getting two weapons in one, one got a heavy pistol, and a heavy off-balance sword, as shown by the poor performance of the Elgin pistol

With that link you just proved his point (and someone was even stupid enough to +1 that post)

Edit: Copied the quote again as it was on a black background

Edited by S3raph

Still, in warframe we have pistols, shotguns, rifles, and melee weapons. All which are used in actual battle. Never in the history of ever has there been a hybrid melee/ranged weapon that could even remotely perform well in both categories.

never in history has there ever been an axe with an earthquake knock down yet here we are.

gunblades wouldn't fit tenno very well in my opinion but then again ogris doesn't either :/

Edited by merryfistmas

I'll be open minded and say this COULD add a entirely different type of gameplay. I won't be closed minded and say "this won't work cause of how the lore feels" I would say it's at least worth a look for DE. I think it could really add something. 

This is from that same link you posted

Pistol swords were not widely used and became uncommon relatively quickly, due to their expense and because instead of getting two weapons in one, one got a heavy pistol, and a heavy off-balance sword, as shown by the poor performance of the Elgin pistol

With that link you just proved his point (and someone was even stupid enough to +1 that post)

Edit: Copied the quote again as it was on a black background

What? Did someone say that the Tenno cannot carry a heavy gun? Or swing an off-balance sword? Then why do we even have ranged weapons like the Gorgon or melee weapons like Reaper Prime around???

I'm a power armored ninja backflipping through a space ship slicing up an army of clones with my sword made from materials that don't actually exist and shooting them with a flamethrower that freezes people.

But some sort of combination of a gun and a sword would be silly and unrealistic.

I agree. I think some "idiots" are forcing a reality check into a game. Which is wrong. Oh, and people saying it does not fit the lore or equipment design are partially right on the equipment part but not the lore part. It just means that DE has to design the weapon to be able to fire the weapon as it IS a gunsword. Maybe have it a high-frequency blade so you hear a *BANG* when you swing the sword during a charged attack and having a small timed window that causes extra damage. Things can be thought of without needing to have it changed into a REAL gun + REAL sword design.

Edited by matrixEXO

I think it's a neat idea. I'm sure they can come up with a look and style of a gunblade to fit the Tenno universe.

Mechanic wise, I think it could work the same way how the Glaive and Kestrel are handled.

There would need to be some consideration to how much damage the shot would be, and how it would act.

Though I'm sure the developers can think of someway to work it.

I'm a power armored ninja backflipping through a space ship slicing up an army of clones with my sword made from materials that don't actually exist and shooting them with a flamethrower that freezes people.

But some sort of combination of a gun and a sword would be silly and unrealistic.

god finally someone talking some sense

Gun + Sword? Why not Blunderbuss + Axe?

bordaxerifle.jpg

^ Idk if ninjas would like it, because it is a (historical) pirate weapon.

source

we are space ninjas that are currently using the vasto. aka a cowboy weapon. I am just surprised that most people are thinking more about real life that they are about the warframe gameplay itself

hmmm. I have been thinking of a way to fit in gunswords into the warframe gameplay. what if the gunblades where to fit into the melee category, but able to function with long range charge shots and short range melee attacks

Yeah, like how the Glaive and Kestrel works.