Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Re: Devstream 102 Silenced Weapon Sounds

BrendanatorX

Okay, so it came up in Devstream 102 that someone wanted sounds for when a weapon is silent via mods etc. and I completely agree something should happen.
The sound team said that they originally tried just turning the shot volume down when a weapon was silent, but that it didn't feel powerful anymore.

I think it could be worth experimenting to instead 'muffle' the sound rather than decrease its volume and I mean this in the way that you might hear something from behind a wall or while underwater, all the sound kinda muffles and blurs. This can be achieved with little to no volume loss, and still give players that feel that the actual weapon sound had a silencing effect on it.

In a lot of shooter games, and even in real life audio captured by video cameras etc. (I don't have real life experiences to go by, don't sue me over it) the shots of weapons with/without suppressors attached to the barrel tend to sound relatively the same, however the suppressed sound is somewhat more flat or smooth or round and elongated in a sense.. its the way the sound feels.. not so much making the sound last longer, eg.. 5 seconds unsilenced and 7 seconds silenced..

Every shot sound has its peak volume and then fade/falloff so I dunno, hopefully someone gets me and thinks "yes".

9 часов назад, BrendanatorX сказал:

but that it didn't feel powerful anymore

But that is what silencer for...... To make weapon sound like a "psss - psss - psss" instead of "BAM - BAM - BAM!".  To make it sound less powerfull.

Muffled sounds would work. But they still need "psss" overlay added over them.

There is a vacuum sound when corpus ship's "reinforce window" break, all the weapons firing 
sounded muffled.

I guess adding that as a muffled sound effect for silenced gun would work ?

Though seriously currently all the guns sounded like BB guns if you hear them firing by teammates, 
kind of like they lack the bass or muzzle blast sound.

Even though if you stood more than 40 feet from a shooter with a rifle, you would totally hear mostly crack but not the boom part.
It is kind of strange the gun sounds is kind of tuned down especially in corridors and indoor areas.

Though a Rifle compared to the grenade explosion will most likely sounds like BB gun.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

I agree i think weapons should sound like your underwater, as apposed to having some kind of silencer sound for 3 reasons:

This is thousands of years in the future, with much more advanced weapons, silencers should be a little more advanced now, even on ballistics

These are mods and powers, your not actually putting a physical silencer on anything.

You don't need to make a new sound for every weapon. Just have the current sound go through a filter, Slightly lower volume, distort, cut the high end, and lower the mid range, I'm no professional but i would think that would give it a silenced effect while still maintaining that "POOMPH"

В 05.12.2017 в 05:40, BrendanatorX сказал:

Thanks guys for your feedback also XD
I definitely think that they can make silenced weapon sounds that still feel powerful, like the videos you provided, the rifles definitely sound powerful even if they dont have a big boom kick sound.

According to devstream 102  "punch" + "mech" = silenced gun sounds.

So if they manage to make Silencer mods mute "shot" and "tail" parts....its done.  Add a bit of "psss" to that and its perfect.