Abyss of Dagath: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Mode, No Shields Is Anti Fun

Minaide

I don't mind no shields so much, although I do think it should only appear when Health Vampire is also active. The only thing I hate about Nightmare mode is the lack of minimap at times. I love challenging games and the intense gameplay Nightmare can provide, but no-minimap is artificially difficult. It's not fun, it's tedious, and it requires repetitive guesswork rather than skill.

I think the people saying "just adapt you must be a Halo player" are kidding themselves. DE is always quick to admit when they make mistakes and Nightmare is very much a WIP.

Like others have said, Nightmare is still in testing but I actually love it as it is now. It was so much easier back then because I could just pretty much rush a map, not saying I can't do that now but energy drain and no shields make rushing a bit more difficult and so I have to rethink strategy which is what I love about it. They're heading in the right track though, I especially love doing boss runs on nightmare. I did Jackal not too long ago with no shields, energy drain and no mini map and boy was it challenging which was actually so fun especially when running with friends cause you can all laugh about it and enjoy the challenge together.

how many of those players who "enjoy" the no shields play defensive warframes with decent armor and hp... or "neverdie" skills? 90% at least.

Go run a high def mission on a non tanky frame   - without shields and 10 armor and slooow speed,  a stray bullet would tear you apart.

Even worse - you dont know you get shield debuff, so you cant plan ahead and make a hp based build.

how many of those players who "enjoy" the no shields play defensive warframes with decent armor and hp... or "neverdie" skills? 90% at least.

Go run a high def mission on a non tanky frame   - without shields and 10 armor and slooow speed,  a stray bullet would tear you apart.

Even worse - you dont know you get shield debuff, so you cant plan ahead and make a hp based build.

I always prepare for the worst. Also, depending on the objective there are times where I can rush right through everything and reach the objective and be out before any major damage has been inflicted onto me with any frame. I always run Enemy Sense so I'm always able to keep track of where enemies are so I can safely plan my route though it becomes quite a tad bit more difficult when there is no mini map but hey, take your time and you'll get through it with no serious harm done.

Also, there's really no need to do a high level nightmare because rewards don't scale with difficulty so you might as well do a low level nightmare unless you actually want more of a challenge which is what I go do sometimes and do a pluto one for the fun of it. I usually never trust PuGs in nightmare so I always solo unless I'm with a friend. Cause I find everyone else to slow me down since they either end up dying and when they do in nightmare, most of the time I never revive. I just aim for objective. In and out. Simple as that.

Challenge is not knowing everything you encounter beforehand and solving the puzzle before you even fire the first shot. Challenge is adaption to unforeseen circumstances. You've been given an excess amount of power through the last aura update, nightmare is the mode to use it intelligently.

None of these modes need to be nerfed. They need to be BUFFED.

Wait.... hear me out.

But you need to be informed of a nightmare mode missions conditions before it starts giving you time to build up accordingly. Then if feels more like skill as you quickly come up with a appropriate build on the fly. That's why they need to be buffed. So that certain builds don't just make it too easy.

Less frustration, more fun.

"But Never! People will just not do all the nightmare modes they don't like!".

Well true, but there's both a carrot and a stick way round that. Once you start a nightmare mode it's conditions are locked in on that specific nightmare mod point until it goes away. Boom now you are rewarded for opening up more maps.

And for the carrot, have each nightmare mode randomly generate and SHOW the chances of what mods you'll get as a reward this time.

For instance, 3 possible rewards, with a percentage beside each showing your chance to get each one over the other.

"Urgh, no shields energy drain, and no map... but holy S#&$ that's a 25% chance for blaze... I better build up as best as possible and get some friends, that's totally worth it!"

What does everyone think?

Edited by NeverNever

no shield, no map, on a spy or exterminate mission??? i can't even move forward not unless using frost and spamming ice globe for each f*cking meters, that's just annoying DE, i'm not cool with that and i'm just toooo p1ss off right now, i paid the game to be entertain and not getting annoyed with it, it's not like we get the chance to dodge the bullets or have any fix covering system, the bullets is insta hit and most definitely will murder you on the spot if you move forward specially in grineer levels, that just terrible way to "heighten" up the difficulty, no shield also basically broke warframe's build, 1 hp but with shield i'm cool with that, but this?! i can't even move and so there's no reason to play nightmare mode. do consider another option than this DE, thx.

no-shields is fun, no-shields + vampire = not so much fun

This, kinda.  The second half, is 100% true, because how the fk do you expect to survive if you have no shields, while losing health at a constant rate?   The main reason why this idea of no shields, does not work well, is because enemies can rip right through you like crazy and this game is not stealth-based.  I have yet to see someone do a 100% stealth run.  It can be done, I think, but only for certain warframes.   I like the idea of no map, but on maps with man doors that are possible to open, it makes things annoying since you can get lost and even worse, be on the wrong floor (Grineer maps, anyone?) and thus be in the map forever trying to find your way around and even trying to find the damn exit.

I think nightmare mode should be a "survival horror" mode with low health, limited/rare ammo, and fewer enemies that are all more threatening.

Make people resort to using melee and saving ammo.

Most modes are speed runs for a good team. I'd like to try something that forces a well thought out approach.