Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: [PC] Upcoming Changes to Gara's "Mass Vitrify" (Bonus Volt Info)

aidan890

Hey Tenno,

Just wanted to drop in here and give a little update on some upcoming changes to Gara’s fourth ability: Mass Vitrify. Coming in the next update, this ability will no longer be invulnerable to damage. It will eventually break apart in sections when enough damage has been dealt to that specific section of the glass wall.

The wall’s health is determined by both your ability power strength and armor mods, just like Frost’s Snow Globe. This will give your enemies a few extra options for dealing with Mass Vitrify, leading to some more dynamic encounters when using the wall defensively. 

Please use this thread to discuss any questions or feedback. 

Thanks, Tenno!

EDIT:

After conveying some of the most common points of feedback from this post to the design team we have some adjustments to our changes to Gara’s Mass Vitrify! 

First, the ability will no longer be affected by Duration. Its longevity will be determined solely by its health, or whether or not the player decides to break it with Shattered Lash. We are also reviewing the wall health values incase further changes are needed. Second, when each section of the wall breaks, it will deal AoE damage that will scale with ability Strength Mods

As always, we want our community to remain engaged in the way we make adjustments to our Warframes, especially once they actually get their hands on them. In Gara’s case we just didn’t feel it was appropriate to her kit to be able to lock down some maps indefinitely or otherwise. Power design is a reciprocal process and we simply can’t account for every possible combination of mods, situational use, and play styles in our designs, that is why we are so fortunate to have a dedicated and cooperative community to offer feedback to collaborate with. Once these changes go live, have at ‘em and bring us your thoughts. 

Bonus Info: We also have some exciting adjustments to our recent Volt changes. As you may recall, we were still actively reviewing the Damage aspect since the day we made the change (Prime Time with Steve explained this!)We have decided to remove the damage cap and raise the damage per second of Discharge, improve its synergy with Shock and we are also halving the energy costs of carrying around Electric Shields. Volt should now be given a bit more protected movement (albeit it with some energy cost), as well as just simply deal more damage overall! 

EDIT 2: This thread is now locked as the relevant update has been released. Please check out those notes and discuss here: 

Will you also change the description so that the terminology used is consistent?

On 17/10/2017 at 6:52 PM, DeMonkey said:

Whilst the act of encasing something in glass is known as Vitrification, the ability states that it crystalises enemies.

If it's merely coating them in glass and vitrifying them, then it isn't crystalising them. If it's crystalising the enemies themselves then they aren't coated in glass and are therefore not vitrified.

You can have 1 or the other, but not both.

Unsure why this thread is limited to PC announcements. You're stopping console players from being able to give their thoughts.

Cheers for that.

Will you be giving her additional armor buff because currently it is counter-intuitive to add armor since it won't add much to her survival-ability. Nothing huge of course, but I would want to see a reason to have armor mods on her. Otherwise I can't blame you for having a health attached to the ability because it makes other abilities with clear trade-offs worse than Gara's that barely had any meaningful ones in most content.

If it's health based, it shouldn't have a duration limit.  And something needs to be done about the crazy long casting time, and should probably have more health then snow globe.

Otherwise, it's simply a terrible ability.  It's her ultimate, yet it has duration limit, health limit, and is open to attacks from above, and immobilizes you for quite some time when being cast. 

How, exactly, is Gara's 4 going to be better then Frost's 3?

Edit: Oops, 3, not 2.

3 minutes ago, Phatose said:

If it's health based, it shouldn't have a duration limit.  And something needs to be done about the crazy long casting time, and should probably have more health then snow globe.

Otherwise, it's simply a terrible ability.  It's her ultimate, yet it has duration limit, health limit, and it open to attacks from above. 

How, exactly, is Gara's 4 going to be better then Frost's 2?

SnowGlobe is Frost's 3rd ability not 2nd

sounds appropriate, and having separate Health across sections makes it more interesting than the usual.
since the Cast for this Ability is so long, maybe it's very appropriate for it to have an absorb period during the Cast.

i'm assuming something like 2500-3500 per pie slice?

10 minutes ago, BETAOPTICS said:

Will you be giving her additional armor buff because currently it is counter-intuitive to add armor since it won't add much to her survival-ability. Nothing huge of course, but I would want to see a reason to have armor mods on her.

Gara already has sufficient Armor for Steel Fiber to be useful.

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

sounds appropriate, and having separate Health across sections makes it more interesting than the usual.
since the Cast for this Ability is so long, maybe it's very appropriate for it to have an absorb period during the Cast.

i'm assuming something like 3000-3500 per pie slice?

I more of assume Gara is becoming basically useless. Well... We all know the DE's history what comes on nerfs.

6 minutes ago, taiiat said:

i'm assuming something like 2500-3500 per pie slice?

Gara already has sufficient Armor for Steel Fiber to be useful.

Maybe. 100 armor is 25% damage reduction while with a max steel fiber it goes to 262 which is a 49.62% damage reduction. So her 2nd ability that already gives her a 90% damage reduction makes putting armor on kinda useless.

3 minutes ago, AlendasNaro said:

I more of assume Gara is becoming basically useless.

ah yes, because pressing one button doesn't let you go AFK, the world is ending.
the greatest argument of all time.

1 minute ago, Cloudy_KiTeer said:

100 armor is 25% damage reduction while with a max steel fiber it goes to 262 which is a 49.62% damage reduction. So while useful with her already 90% because of her 2nd ability I don't see how that would be useful.

1 - Gara has 125 Armor.

2 - you could use both?

Tenno Reinforced Glass Windows, didn’t think I’d see this day.

Hopefully Spectrorage gets a scaling pass as well, these mirrors are far too fragile to high fire rate and AoE attack enemies, plus the damage returned is microscopic from both mirrors breaking and the collapse explosion.

I would like to place carousels to block gaps in the Mass Vitrify walls as a viable tactic, but only when the mirrors can last a while. 

21 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Will the new mass vitrify also scale accordingly in the same manner as snow globe?

by this I mean the extra health gained in the “setup” phase from enemy attacks.

The time spent casting the ability as it grows will not affect the health of the wall.

21 minutes ago, taiiat said:

ah yes, because pressing one button doesn't let you go AFK, the world is ending.
the greatest argument of all time.

More of like there is so much AoE damage dealing enemies or projectiles that literally kill you after you get out of Mass Vitrify + the overall scaling and certain enemies being oddly balanced. You will get a mess out of it.

I never run a bunch power strength or steel fiber, youre severely limiting the variety of builds if i have to use vitality and steel fiber and bunch of strength mods just to do one thing (press 4) ,worse than before. PLEASE DONT NERF GARA

Archived