The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fishing

(XBOX)ThatsFine9

I love fishing, but it is not without it's problems (some pretty serious). First and foremost is the inability to defend yourself while fishing. At least when mining you can quick melee (maybe also use abilities), but while holding the spear you are defenseless, and with the plague star event running, infested show no mercy and tend to swarm you every few minutes. This ruins the amount of time we have with baits, dyes and hot spots. Given the mandatory naure of fishing, this is extremely frustrating. Secondly, fishing is a convoluted mess with the various baits and spears only working on certain fish. Baits are a bit more forgiveable since most people don't use fish for 100% ostron standing, or end up catching more than they need, but spears.... really? Why can't the operate similar to the mining laser where each upgrade allows you to catch the different fish of the same level while also catching those of the lower tier. Switching spears or using the wrong one and chasing those rare fish away is just ridiculous. I'm not spear fishing master, but I'm pretty sure a sharp end does the trick just fine. Then there's the baits, while the time they're active has been buffed, they still offer very little buff to the spawn rate as I'm typically seeing 0-5 fish per bait. With the grind it takes to get those baits, that's disappointing. Thirdly, dashwire fishing needs to be more reliable. With the extremely limited vantage points that the oceans and lake offer and the limited range of the luminous dye, we need to be able to throw up some wires and head out over the water and catch these fish. Aiming throws off your balance and throwing the spear is delayed and inaccurate. A bit confusing seeing as how you can sprint, slide and bullet jump from the same wires. Finally, the spawn times of the rarer fish should be more evenly distributed between night and day. Right now, the top three rare fish (norg, cuthol, and glappid) all spawn at night only. Between fishing for these, the eidolon fights AND the limited night time, we need something special to fish for during the day. There's too much to do at night for the limited time.

All this being said, I have spent well over half of my time in the plains fishing and I do thoroughly enjoy it, but these issues need to be addressed since fishing is mandatory and not just a fun side thing to do to increase your ostron rep instead of bounties.

14 hours ago, (Xbox One)ThatsFine9 said:

Switching spears or using the wrong one and chasing those rare fish away is just ridiculous.

Not disagreeing, but offering a work-around:  if you use Volt, you can use any spear on any fish due to his passive.  You just need to move around to build up the charge.

Here ill provide a guide

Lanzo:Charc Eel Cuthol Goopolla Murkray Sharrac Yogwun

Tulok: tralok......

Peram: Glappid Khut-Khut Mawfish
Mortus Lungfish Norg

Personally i do think both the bait dyes and pharoma-which i actually have yet to really work for me- should be at least 5 minutes maybe duration because i spend alot of time fishing and constantly trying to farm for the resources to build all of then just for them to only work 70% of the time at best takes too much of an already pretty filled game schedule and i have alot of free time on my hands so i cant imagine what that grind is like for those with actual lives

On 12/5/2017 at 5:59 AM, (Xbox One)R3d P01nt said:

Not disagreeing, but offering a work-around:  if you use Volt, you can use any spear on any fish due to his passive.  You just need to move around to build up the charge.

1 hour ago, (PS4)haseo_the_adept said:

Here ill provide a guide

Peram: Glappid Khut-Khut Mawfish
Mortus Lungfish Norg

Personally i do think both the bait dyes and pharoma-which i actually have yet to really work for me- should be at least 5 minutes maybe duration because i spend alot of time fishing and constantly trying to farm for the resources to build all of then just for them to only work 70% of the time at best takes too much of an already pretty filled game schedule and i have alot of free time on my hands so i cant imagine what that grind is like for those with actual lives

Like I said, I've spent a lot of time fishing, I know about volt's passive and I've learned which spear to use, that wasn't the core issue of my post, but thank you for helping out. I'm at a loss as to why mining was consolidated to let each laser extract the same materials except for the advanced, which can get the eidolon gems. Why couldn't that same system have been implemented with the spears to save you time from switching with already limited time with baits, dyes and hotspots, and to help take advantage of the limited spawns of the better fish. A laser is a laser, a spear is a spear, they work the same.

2 hours ago, (PS4)haseo_the_adept said:

Here ill provide a guide

Peram: Glappid Khut-Khut Mawfish Mortus Lungfish Norg

I've caught Khut-Khut, Mawfish, Mortus, Tralok with the Lanzo spear also.

Edited by (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN

Yess you can catch some of the fish with some of the ither spears in one hit i just put which ones were garunteed to do it in one every time, ie most damage, and as for the different spears being needed in terms of reality usage wise yes different types of spears have better effects on crabs and lobsters versus fish but with fish this small, not really making a difference when theyre thrown by a mechanical robot probably using way more force than a human ever could