The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

fail-safe on the launchers?

DroopingPuppy

Well, as you know, many launcher type weapons are able to blow off yourself if it detonates too close - either it hits the enemy, the walls, your teammates or even your pets and summoned buddies. It would be not so strange because you will simply use it without caution without any self damage method. But is it fine to insta-kill the user by only one shot for the most weapons, in the casual styled game?

So, what about to apply this to most weapons that able to self damage?

The option 1 is that the round is simply not detonate if it is too close enough to damaging the user. Fail-safe system on the shell is common even in the real worlds, then why not for the future weapons? It doesn't kill the user, but it doesn't kill the enemy either so still the users are needs to be careful for each shots.

The option 2 is cause the damage but only cause about 10% to 25% of max health(or shield+health) of the user's warframe, regardless of its actual damage. It will not killing the user directly but give them a warn for using the dangerous weapons carelessly.

So, what do you think about?

On 12/4/2017 at 6:29 PM, DroopingPuppy said:

Well, as you know, many launcher type weapons are able to blow off yourself if it detonates too close - either it hits the enemy, the walls, your teammates or even your pets and summoned buddies. It would be not so strange because you will simply use it without caution without any self damage method. But is it fine to insta-kill the user by only one shot for the most weapons, in the casual styled game?

So, what about to apply this to most weapons that able to self damage?

The option 1 is that the round is simply not detonate if it is too close enough to damaging the user. Fail-safe system on the shell is common even in the real worlds, then why not for the future weapons? It doesn't kill the user, but it doesn't kill the enemy either so still the users are needs to be careful for each shots.

The option 2 is cause the damage but only cause about 10% to 25% of max health(or shield+health) of the user's warframe, regardless of its actual damage. It will not killing the user directly but give them a warn for using the dangerous weapons carelessly.

Ive only died twice from my Tonkor, and thats because i literally WALKED OVER the grenade. Most of the time im firing from long-range and using sticky grenades (unique mod i got) so i never have to deal with self damage. As much as i hate to say it, "git gud"? Seriously though, using a GL against enemies 5 feet away is NOT something that happens IRL.

Well, all of us are already aware of the risk and we will use the weapons carefully, but things are not so easy all the times. My teammates can block the bullets, so do random obstacles(include some wires on the corridor). We do consider them before making a shot, I know, but the punishment for the failure for now is too severe.

14 hours ago, Phobonaut said:

Nononono, when launchers no longer have self-damage, the Tigris and Soma crowd will riot in the streets screaming about launchers getting a secret buff.

Self-damage is the price I pay for having a pistol that can do 5000-10000 dmg in one charge.

i can do that with weapons that dont kill me too

• 2 weeks later...

i dont really think launchers are that much op in comparison to other weapons (like the tigris, vaykor hek, akstilleto prime) to have such a big downside

im fine with self damage, btw

it's just i hoped the tonkor's grenades explode on impact some time in the future, bouncing grenades are awful and nobody likes them

On 12/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, DroopingPuppy said:

How about we just have a mod that reduces self-damage from Launcher weapons? That way the players who rarely/never blow themselves up don't have to worry, while those who often do need to either git gud or give up a mod slot on their builds. This would provide a convenient fix for clumsier Tenno while also encouraging them to get better with launchers and take off the training wheel mod I mention.

"Detonation Failsafe", common mod, Vazarin Vazarin Pol Polarity, min Drain 4, max Drain 9. 

Text: Reduces damage to self from Launcher-type weapons by 40/55/70/85/100%.

This could still perhaps be exploited by once again nuking one's own feet, but it would at least mean that players would need to lower the damage output of their weapon to get away with doing so.