Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: The Features of Focus 2.5

[DE]Connor

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)Kavriel said:

*Replace the orb with an eximus that boosts other enemies but grants focus.

-or-

*Add a bar to the hud that builds with 'lens' kills, when full tap 5 to activate the orb countdown.

-or-

*Remove orbs entirely and base focus multiplier on tenno affinity.

no, no and no, none of those will fix it, please consider the reason why the orb was created in the first place.

*Remove focus lenses entirely and have the active school determine what you gain focus for from everything max level,

what if i want to use zenurik but gain focus for some other tree? you didnt thought that one trough, just like all the other 1000 players that already suggested the same

*Make all focus lenses blank, gaining focus to a universal pool that can be spent in any tree.

there you go, that is indeed the solution for the lens problem, it would also be nice to get focus without lens equipped, in lower amounts obviously.

common DE .. make general pool for all schools.. its a real pain farm every school points plus u cant use same WF or weapon to farm two or more diferents schools. A general pool will be much more playable for ppl who cant play more than 2 hours at day ( and ofc dont will waste all on just farm focus )

@[DE]Connor if you guys want to keep the convergence orb, here's maybe(?) some potential improvements the dev team can examine ?

The convergence orb :

• Each enemy killed while Convergence is active now grants a flat amount of focus points not affected by affinity/affinity booster, depending on the level of the enemy. A smaller amount of affinity is converted to focus points overall in exchange, still depending on the quality of the lens you are using.

This way, it will allow players to farm focus on more variety of missions and difficulty, making stealth focus farming (Adaro node, i'm looking at you) not the only efficient way of getting focus.

• If somehow you missed the Convergence orb, the next one will double the amount of focus gained during that period. Missing the orb more than twice doesn't grant more focus multipliers gain.

This is only on situations when you couldn't pick it up because it was too far away from you when you wanted to pick it up, a teammate needs to be revived or the Stalker is coming for you or for someone else and you need to ignore everything else for a moment.

Right now when a convergence orb is appearing, most of the players ignore everything else and run over the orb to get the most amount of focus possible, letting behind players who are downed or are in need of assistance and then complaining about the other players who are not playing as a cooperative team.

Additional ways to gain focus points :

When the orb is not there, there is no good ways of getting focus, so :

• By completing objectives in missions, such as capturing a target, assassinating a boss, sabotaging, rescuing a hostage, defending a terminal, stealing data in spy vaults, completing a rotation in a endless mission ect.. will grant you a flat amount of focus points in addition of the affinity gain.

Gaining focus mostly by killing enemies can be tedious at times so i feel by earning focus when accomplishing objectives during missions, can be a consistant way of getting focus. Convergence orb can stay as the easiest way to obtain a lot of focus but not by a large margin. Let say you do 2h of void fissure farming, you could get your daily focus cap. Focus cap should be something to be done passively, not to be forced to do on a daily checklist.

It would best to implement these ideas before you remove the daily cap so it don't feel weird if we want to grind for more focus with stealth farming as the main way.

6 hours ago, JeyciKon said:

no, no and no, none of those will fix it, please consider the reason why the orb was created in the first place.

To change pace? Whatever the reason it's fairly disliked, maybe try something different.

6 hours ago, JeyciKon said:

what if i want to use zenurik but gain focus for some other tree? you didnt thought that one trough, just like all the other 1000 players that already suggested the same

What if I want to use my vulkar but rank up my braton? This would be irrelevant if they'd just do the single focus pool like everyone wants.

We should just gain focus any time we use an operator or maxed gear. If lenses remain in the game at all they should be equipped to a loadout like an additional piece of gear and also add a small amount of void damage to weapon/warframe abilities based on your operator powers. If we must have different pools then maybe let us combine different lenses to make multi-school or 'prism' lenses. Eidolon lenses should fill all pools.

I'm just throwing out suggestions here. I actually enjoy the operator mechanic, but convergence orbs are awkward and feel like we get dropped in a hockey game for the countdown and distracts from the mission, contradicting its own namesake. Then there's the progression system that still feels pre-alpha.

What do I really want? Lenses and orbs gone and focus gained per school by damage types used on maxed gear; ie mod polarities convert a certain amount of affinity to focus for that school based on rank, and forma'd slots double the amount. In other words, completely automatic and in the background until you assign the points to the tree.

2 hours ago, (Xbox One)Kavriel said:

To change pace? Whatever the reason it's fairly disliked, maybe try something different

its not to change pace, its because of the afk farming, they tried fixing it by changing the way enemies spawn but no big difference was made, further changes to that would break the respawn systems therefore breaking the game, not getting focus from idles also does not fix it as we could just use macro to bypass than, the orb was the solution so far and i have yet to see a better solution than that, all i see they can do now about that is just improve the way the orb spawn, making it spawn smarter.

Given they have a Daily cap on focus, AFK farming is a non issue. You have the specific lensed gear to also tie your hands to a specific set of gear. If you ever want to scratch that cap.

When you have guys running nuke builds to out kill everyone for focus while you try to cap passively, it only hurts the guy playing normally. They need to bring the post Viver mindset here when thinking about Focus 3.0.

2.5 is really close to perfect. The orb hurts it. No normal play WITH the orb, is going to hit that cap or come close to it... 

Now if we had a soft cap, I wouldn't mind the orb spawning for farming focus beyond the said cap. This will prevent players from no lifing the tree.

If DE want's to keep the current system intact, offer endless Eximus missions with modifiers that rotate like nightmare missions or better yet & even easier, allow Operator kills to get a significant amount of focus. The same rate you'd get from an Orb + a greater lens at base. Not just for the amp, but all operator attacks & objectives completed as the operator.

That way it would make sense as you are legitimately training your operator to further it's abilities with meaningful progression.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:42 PM, [DE]Connor said:

Finally, I’d like to give updates on the development status of other anticipated Focus changes. Discussions about Convergence are still ongoing; for the time being, we have an interest in maintaining the mechanic for the change of pacing it can offer, and we will think on it even more once higher priority issues are resolved.

All focus points gained during convergence are not given while in Archwing on PoE and the convergence orb timer expires while flying.

This is so annoying and another reason why we need to get rid of the orb.  You could be racking up thousands of focus points after picking up the orb on PoE.  Then you deploy your Archwing to quickly go to the next objective.  When the orb timer expires while you're archwing flying, a big '0' is shown.  So so sad. :(

1 hour ago, (PS4)vinster said:

All focus points gained during convergence are not given while in Archwing on PoE and the convergence orb timer expires while flying.

actually it does, it only shows the ammount of focus gained on the archwing if the time ends on archwing, all the focus gained on foot is saved because it actually saves as you gain it and not just in the end of the timer, it just does not show the falue in the end of the timer.

1 hour ago, JeyciKon said:

actually it does, it only shows the ammount of focus gained on the archwing if the time ends on archwing, all the focus gained on foot is saved because it actually saves as you gain it and not just in the end of the timer, it just does not show the falue in the end of the timer.

Thanks for the explanation.

Either way, this is misleading.  My first thought seeing the '0' was that no focus had been gained for the 45s convergence orb period.  Perhaps DE needs to implement another QoL fix for this.

idea: during transference, give the operator a way to trigger the transcendence ability (maybe by pressing 1 when operator energy is full, but only usable if all nodes on your primary tree are at least active if not maxed)

additionally, this could grant all active waybounds (somewhat modified, like void dash becomes bullet jump, amp energy becomes ammo, void energy becomes energy, etc) for a limited amount of time to the frame, but then draining all operator energy and preventing you from recovering it until a debuff equal to double the waybound buff duration is over

transcendence itself should be treated as though you're in void mode (granting all void mode duration buffs), have all the abilities of your tree's void blast (example: naramon transcendence can confuse and disarm), and a have a shot pattern dependent on your amp's prism. maybe allow void dashing during it, though it'd heavily cut the duration of the transcendence burst

this way, the transcendence you get at the end of the second dream becomes more of a taste of the power you eventually get in the war within, rather than just something powerful you get for a short amount of time before it's casually thrown away

When you reach max levels and max pool on every class ( ı made it) close focus converge or focus collecting this or give a chance to delete focus lenses on our weapons. Maybe without reach the max level there would be an option to delecete focus lenses. I dont want to have to delete my primed weapons or frames for lens things.

(Disclaimer: I am somewhat blunt in my post about my thoughts on the current focus system, good and bad.)

General View: Focus 2.0 / 2.5 not on Xbox yet

All the operator's powers in Focus 2.0 are lack luster bar a couple, but I think DE are being smart here and I hope they will increase things as they see what we can do with the powers 1st. If they make them too OP and then nerf it, we all cry foul and there is no way back from that. I want to give DE some time to improve the system, but not have to wait till my grand children are playing WF and I'm long gone from this world. Please keep improving it with every update guys :0)

----------

Focus Tree Nodes:
The way the focus nodes are connected and some upgrades are of a poor design!

Increasing energy cost as I upgrade a node is dumb! (bad design? = Yes!)

I want to use node x, but I have to use the node before it in the tree to access it. (bad design? = Yes)

Is adding an energy cost to a node downgrading it? Not really, Our warframes have always had a trade-off of +/- in some way. (bad design? = No)

Node x has an energy drain that effects my game plan. I disconnect it when that case applies or I don't use it at all. (bad design? = Not really, it is more a choice!)

I want to use node x that has an energy cost, but to access it I have to use the node before it in the tree which also has an energy cost, effectively costing way too much energy to be worthwhile, so I don't use it. (bad design? = YES!)

How Do We Fix It? >> Focus 2.6 whatever
All nodes in that school are connected to ONE node (the pool) so we can pick and choose what nodes we want to use.

Why Stop There? >> Focus 3.0
ALL nodes in ALL schools are way-bound @ the cost of 200,000 points and 1 BS to unlock,(10 nodes per school= 2 mil points = same as is now) and we have ONE POOL and the choice to use up to 18 nodes in 1 of 3 configs that we can set up and choose on the fly (or load-out slots like we have for our warframes)

Think about it......what is our operator other than just another part of our warframe, we have nodes = augment mods, we have a pool of points =  mod capacity and with all 50 nodes we have now, players can best design an Operator as they see fit that best fits their play style or game mode.
Would it be OP, hell no. It would create great diversity and really improve the role of the operator in general and overall.

-------------

I like the Operator / Focus in general, Warrior mode I like even more.

Transference (in/out of mode) is kinda smooth, but a little clunky too for us on console/controllers since we have no hotkeys. I'm getting better at it, but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it (compared to PC who are way more fluid)

I do find that using the dash mode powers has me turning back to kill what I just effected with my operator, hence like a chicken running in circle and slowing the pace of forward movement

Other than the way the school tree/nodes are put together, I'm pretty happy with Focus and am willing to give DE some time yet to improve it as we grow.

----------

Last words will always be!
PLEASE REMOVE CONVERGENCE ORB!

First post in the forum sorry for my english, so if i say something that already exist i am sorry too, so i want to write a lot in order to try to explain my point of view on Focus. i will try hard not to waste your time and give a shorter version of my thoughts. my comments are focused in keeping intact the spirit of grinding and farming as DE wants and we love, but Simplifying some aspects.

Focus Pool , WHY does this exist? what is the point to buy a slot to open another slot of a power? you dont gain anything with the slots, do you want me to consume more points? GREAT, i agree, easy fix , remove pool alltogether and put that cost in the main power to unlock and level it up. and for example if it costs 100 to buy a pool slot and 100 for first lvl of a power then the lvl would go 200. easy Example. simplicity.......

Unlock Powers, WHY does  this exist? again what is the point to unlock a power? you dont gain anything by unlocking if you dont start to leveling the power, again do you want me to consume points? GREAT, i agree, put the cost in the leveling of the power so if i use for example 100 to unlock and 100 first level and 200 second level ,change it to 150 first level and 250 next level. easy Example, simplicity......

Simplify focus NO reason for pools to exist and no reason unlock to exist. NO REASON!!!

One tree: in the spirit of simplicity one tree with all powers would be easier but i understand focus schools so ok we move on. and the change in way bound skills that appear and affect main school too its great and adds to the one tree thought idea.

Focus Lens , it would be easier if you could make only one type of lens and not different ones and the focus you gather would be in one main pool and you could send points in any school you want. make the lens harder to find and for greater lens make it to consume more smaller lens and other materials. Easier and Simpler. Let me give an example here, now you have 5 schools and you can have 4 lens on you ,one in frame ,one in primary weapon,one is secondary and one in melee, so one school would be very hard to collect points but if it was one main pool of points noone would left behind. Now depending of what school i want to boost i try to kill with that lens,no big deal but it would be simpler not be forced to choose a school to boost a certain day. same farming ,same time consuming but simpler in the proccess.

And now to my MAIN point

Focus Gold Ball, my big Nightmare of mostly all the missions but more precisely in survival mode. the ball spawns always at least 50-60meters away of my frame, other times at the opposite direction i am heading, other times delays spawning so much that when it spawns i am at least 150 meters away due to my fast moving speed. In survival mode it just ruins your game, if you go and get it and you are in high levels, you leave your protection and probably you are going to get one shot kill from the enemies, and you ruin your spawning places in the map. NOT GOOD!!! So most of the time i dont bother to get it and loose great amount of focus points.  My suggestion is to get rid of the ball at ALL. All affinity you collect and doesnt go to leveling a frame or a weapon it should go directly to the focus main pool. Again in keeping the grinding real you can reduce the amount of affinity collecting when you have all maxed weapons on you or you can raise the focus points needed to leveling the powers. For example i can collect at least 10.000.000 affinity in an hour of survival mode in high levels so all those point should go directly to my focus as points and you can raise the levels of way bounds for example from 1.000.000 to 5.000.000 and be the same farming time or more as you choose or reduse the affinity i can collect to 50% and make me collect 5.000.000. In the spirit of simplicity and easier gaming withour worrying if i ruin my game time trying to get the focus ball or spending game time and not gaining anything because i didnt get the focus ball.

Let me know about your thoughts

i apologise in advance for the extensive topic.

Biggest issue I have with the latest change (ignoring the fact I still hate the forced void dash etc for energy on zenurik) is the 1 MILLION focus points required to unlock each of the waybound items... thats just too much imo.  

I'm mr24, been playing for roughly 2 years and I can't even unlock one of them because to put it bluntly I haven't specifically farmed focus.  All I can say is this focus farming rework better do something to improve the rate of focus gain because as I've said before if you want us to use the operators you're forcing on us you need to make it so we can actually unlock stuff so we can use them properly.

Please remove orbs. I stopped focus farming on the same node all day before 2.5 came out, after which I was 1 daily cap away from unbinding a node. One day. I played other missions, bounties, events, every single day for hours, and until just this week I was still just barely within a single daily cap of the same node unbinding. No appreciable progress at all. I did use the same lensed frame for a lot of it too. This week I boosted and farmed. I didn't make any progress in the weeks since the update by playing normally.

Orbs ruin progress while having fun.

Fun and progress are mutually exclusive.

Archived