The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rifle Choice

Kariak

Question

So I started playing a few days ago and its time I get rid of this damned Mk1-Braton. I can't decide what to get though. I'm very close to having the mats for the Boltor. But I've heard the Braton is a great choice as well. I don't think I'm high enough level to get the mats to build any other weapon but it looks like Latron could be a good choice later. Can I get some advice?

Edit: I do have the clan tech just not high enough level for the planets necessary for a lot of the mats for those weapons.

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it! I've made my decision. What do you guys think about side arms too?

Edited by Kariak

Both the Braton and Boltor are very good choices until higher levels or dojos. one of the most common rifles now is the Supra, however thats a high rank weapon and a clan only weapon.

My suggestion is to use Braton or Boltor, either one, they are both Very good, until you progress on. 

Always get the item you are leveling to 30 before you sell it though (so you get the mastery points).

Whatever gun you pick can be good if given the right mods, its honestly just player choice. When I started I got a lot of fun out of using Paris, but I like bows. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

The Braton is a strait upgrade from the MK-1.  Higher rare of fire, less accuracy, slightly smaller mag but higher damage.

The Latron is a good choice if you like a semi-auto rifle with decent damage and good accuracy.

The Boltor is very good vs. enemies with high armor (bosses, grineer, etc).  It fires bolts that have some travel time so that takes a little getting used to.

I can't say much about the Burston as last time i used it i really didn't like it.

The Grakata i'm told is very good once you get it properly modded for crit chance and crit damage.  It takes a bit of work to get it to a good spot though.

Thats clan tech, he probably isnt in a clan/high enough for that.

Braton is a solid weapon as said above, but requires more mods to do the same damage output as the boltor since the boltor ignores armor. However, the Braton is a hitscan weapon whereas the boltors rounds have travel time.

Use the wiki if you want more in-depth pros and cons of the weapons.

The Boltor is good because its effective against mobs of all levels because of the armor ignore. The only problem with it is the projectiles aren't bullets, they're harder to land shots with at mid to long range. You might not like that and might prefer the Braton. The Braton is a straight up upgrade to what you're currently using, so if you don't mind the weapon you start with, it might be the next logical choice. You're probably going to try both at some point in order to level up your weapons mastery. 

Its also worthy to mention that the side arms in this game aren't necessarily weaker than the primary weapons. So you might want to invest in a new side arm as well.

Edited by aTaVaX

My suggestion is to start off with something other than the Braton. It's a great gun, and my personal rifle of choice, but you'll find that a large part of the game is enjoying the novelty of new and varied types of weapons. You can pick up the Braton any time for a bulk amount of credits, so check out some of the guns you need to build to obtain. The Boltor is a great gun, but I personally found it loathesome to use. Not to my liking, at all. Try out the Latron, it's not bad at all and is fairly fun to use. You'll need Serration for sure to get the most out of it, though.

If there's a weapon that instinctively shouts 'rad!' to you upon viewing, get it and use it. 

At the same time, understand that at higher levels you may need to have an alternative weapon that is wonderfully, viciously powerful while not being your first choice in the look 'n feel department.

Example; I love my Latron Prime. Coloured in black, red and gold, it's my rifle of choice when I play lower level stuff, or anytime when I ain't that fussed. However, when I go into a T3 Void mission, I pull out the Boltor and cut loose. Despite the fact that it's not my favourite gun, I realise that it's perfect for creating terminal situations for those beefy enemies.