Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mission Impossible: "Take the Corpus Arcane Codices"

the_vede_

So, I'm a Warframe n00b. Started playing a couple weeks back and have invested about 37 hours thus far. I'm absolutely LOVING it, except for this mission in the "Stolen Dreams" questline. It's absolutely ridiculous. There are no other challenges in the game up to this point that adequately prep you for a stealth mission this difficult, regardless of whether you have ciphers or not. It took me ~10 attempts to beat it over multiple days, which is ~9 attempts more than literally any other mission in the game so far. It was such a frustrating experience that even after beating it -- just now, FINALLY! -- I felt compelled to come here and vent.  

Doing a quick google search reveals that players have been complaining about this mission for more than a year? DE, for the love of GAWD, and more importantly for the sake of my fellow n00bs who haven't yet gotten to this mission -- please consider dropping the requirement to pull off three hacks in this mission down to two so that mere mortals stop hitting this completely unnecessary (and likely unintended) wall.

Thank you.

Now back to this otherwise glorious game!

-Vede      

1. Are you using the right tool for the job? Do you have one of the stealth frames to complete the mission with?

2. You understand a wall is there so you are meant to stack up boxes (aka farms mods and improve your character) to get over the wall right?

3. Have you run any other spy mission up until that point to practice?

oh Spy?

Well, Intruder helps with both Grineer and Corpus cyphers, and each Vault can be beat with a mix of different strategies, it's been so long since I did this one Quest, but even Sortie level Spy vaults have mean to bypass defenses.

And the dropship Liset has an Air Support module that can stall timers long enough to buy precious seconds if an alarm gets tripped.

Edited by SPARTAN-187.Thanatos
linking link, not that Link

26 minutes ago, Darkvramp said:

1. Are you using the right tool for the job? Do you have one of the stealth frames to complete the mission with?

2. You understand a wall is there so you are meant to stack up boxes (aka farms mods and improve your character) to get over the wall right?

1. No, I don't have a stealth frame yet. I'm simply taking quests, in order, based on the way the game presents them to me as I move through the game linearly. 

2. There was no wall in the game prior to this single mission, which wasn't even the final mission in the questline. I'm fairly certain DE didn't intend to suddenly stop forward progress in the game at this point.

3. Plenty. There are several in the game prior to this mission. But none of them are even close in terms of difficulty. In part, because this is the first spy mission that requires that you hit 3-out-of-3 hacks perfectly. You can pass the others with just 2 out of 3. But on top of that, earlier spy missions are far more basic -- e.g., no remote sentries, far simpler hacking puzzles, fewer platformer mechanics, etc.   

4 minutes ago, the_vede_ said:

1. No, I don't have a stealth frame yet. I'm simply taking quests, in order, based on the way the game presents them to me as I move through the game linearly. 

2. There was no wall in the game prior to this single mission, which wasn't even the final mission in the questline. I'm fairly certain DE didn't intend to suddenly stop forward progress in the game at this point.

3. Plenty. There are several in the game prior to this mission. But none of them are even close in terms of difficulty. In part, because this is the first spy mission that requires that you hit 3-out-of-3 hacks perfectly. You can pass the others with just 2 out of 3. But on top of that, earlier spy missions are far more basic -- e.g., no remote sentries, far simpler hacking puzzles, fewer platformer mechanics, etc.   

1. ok so there is no easy way to say this, but what was stopping you from going to go pick one of them up? if you were having trouble with a non stealth frame, you should have detoured and picked one up off the star map to build, or bought off the market. did you not know they existed at the time?

2. this is classic progress wall 101, game get suddenly harder with tools at disposal maybe hinting that  you should go looking for an alternative. this is also classic DE, they have progression blocks EVERYWHERE, they want you to go look at the market at some point right?

3. ok i asked, sometimes, people just have not ground their teeth on the grind stone enough, also sometimes people look down at their feet and scream and run out of the room not knowing what that thing attached at the end of their leg is. This community has its variance.

3 minutes ago, Darkvramp said:

1. ok so there is no easy way to say this, but what was stopping you from going to go pick one of them up? if you were having trouble with a non stealth frame, you should have detoured and picked one up off the star map to build, or bought off the market. did you not know they existed at the time?

2. this is classic progress wall 101, game get suddenly harder with tools at disposal maybe hinting that  you should go looking for an alternative. this is also classic DE, they have progression blocks EVERYWHERE, they want you to go look at the market at some point right?

3. ok i asked, sometimes, people just have not ground their teeth on the grind stone enough, also sometimes people look down at their feet and scream and run out of the room not knowing what that thing attached at the end of their leg is. This community has its variance.

1. Well, nothing, except that as a relatively new player, how am I supposed to know I can't use the same frame that has gotten me through every other mission (dozens of them) without any prior hiccups whatsoever, including spy missions? You seem to want to blame me here (and, sure, I'll take some blame), but let's not kid ourselves about how unnecessarily difficult it can be for new players to figure out what in the world is going on toward the start of their Warframe experience. 

2. No, classic progress wall 101 typically happens at the end of a questline, not 3/4 of the way through, where the stakes are small and so is the payoff. This is something else. I won't call it bad design, in part because I think you'll take it badly (minor troll - but, come on - you kinda deserved it). I'll instead say that the designers made some choices with this mission I wish they hadn't. :-) Because it unnecessarily breaks the flow and rhythm of the gameplay they'd established up to that point. And, sure, they want me to look at the market. But I don't get the sense this seemingly very random difficulty spike was trying to force me there. I could be mistaken, but I think this mission is simply harder for some folks than was intended. 

3. Fair enough.

the best thing was trying the spy missions on the right planets to have your spy mission at the same difficulty of the quest one

Spy missions are doable full stealth with any warframe, but i suggest you to bring a silent weapon to help you killing enemies without alarming all the vault

and it's not easy to get a stealth frame, i started with loki, but to get the warframes with invisibility without buying them with plat you have:
Loki- Neptune, can't reach it unless carried because of junctions requiring stolen dreams completed
Ivara- spy missions... enough said, you need to be able to do low to high level spy missions to get all her parts
Ash- Manics   not so easy to farm
Octavia- Quest   need to complete TWW, which needs the second dream, which needs stolen dream to reach the junction that gives it to you

another way to complete spy vaults is to just bring rhino, put iron skin on, rush trought the vault and hack

The Main Problem of this Quest is that the enemy level is higher than what this player have seen, Same like the Last mission on The New Strange Quest

Stolen Dreams are on Phobos Junction, and Phobos doesn't have 3 out 3 Vault or Full Grid of Hacking. There is alot more trap there than others

I do fail on this mission, twice. The only thing I can say is get better. cause on that point, there is no stealth frame he can farm (Ash = Manic, Loki = Neptune, Octavia = Second Dream, Ivara = Full Planet).

At the end he did it. the only thing I can say is be more careful on spy mission, some people RUSH spy mission, trigger the alarm, and take the data as fast as he can. Thats the reason why many fail on this mission as you need all 3 of the spy vault, and some players only able to get that one specific vault

Be more aware of your surrounding, watch the pattern and look for opening

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WilliamHartono12 said:

The Main Problem of this Quest is that the enemy level is higher than what this player have seen, Same like the Last mission on The New Strange Quest.

The enemies are higher level than usual on this mission? Because that's definitely what it felt like! Simply getting to the vaults was more difficult and time-consuming than usual, even though I was predominantly speedrunning to each one. When I let the alarms ring out for just a little too long they would trigger some crazy-powerful bipedal robot, which chased me down and often followed me into the vault itself, killing me, even if I'd managed to deactivate the alarms by then. 

And once I was in the vault by myself, if I was unlucky enough to get one with remote sentries, well, they were too powerful to one-shot kill from behind, and then they'd trigger the alarm. So after trying (and failing) a few different ways to kill them, I stopped trying. Crouched and avoided them instead. And that would have been a fine lesson to teach me, except the amount of time it took to progress through the level each time made experimenting with different tactics far more risky and frustrating than necessary, IMO.     

9 hours ago, the_vede_ said:

The enemies are higher level than usual on this mission? Because that's definitely what it felt like! Simply getting to the vaults was more difficult and time-consuming than usual, even though I was predominantly speedrunning to each one. When I let the alarms ring out for just a little too long they would trigger some crazy-powerful bipedal robot, which chased me down and often followed me into the vault itself, killing me, even if I'd managed to deactivate the alarms by then. 

And once I was in the vault by myself, if I was unlucky enough to get one with remote sentries, well, they were too powerful to one-shot kill from behind, and then they'd trigger the alarm. So after trying (and failing) a few different ways to kill them, I stopped trying. Crouched and avoided them instead. And that would have been a fine lesson to teach me, except the amount of time it took to progress through the level each time made experimenting with different tactics far more risky and frustrating than necessary, IMO.     

its called a bursa, and they are a pain but very fairly designed, shoot the console on their back for more damage

18 hours ago, the_vede_ said:

1. Well, nothing, except that as a relatively new player, how am I supposed to know I can't use the same frame that has gotten me through every other mission (dozens of them) without any prior hiccups whatsoever, including spy missions? You seem to want to blame me here (and, sure, I'll take some blame), but let's not kid ourselves about how unnecessarily difficult it can be for new players to figure out what in the world is going on toward the start of their Warframe experience. 

2. No, classic progress wall 101 typically happens at the end of a questline, not 3/4 of the way through, where the stakes are small and so is the payoff. This is something else. I won't call it bad design, in part because I think you'll take it badly (minor troll - but, come on - you kinda deserved it). I'll instead say that the designers made some choices with this mission I wish they hadn't. :-) Because it unnecessarily breaks the flow and rhythm of the gameplay they'd established up to that point. And, sure, they want me to look at the market. But I don't get the sense this seemingly very random difficulty spike was trying to force me there. I could be mistaken, but I think this mission is simply harder for some folks than was intended.

1. i never said it was your fault, nor am i blaming you. one thing that has prevailed since the game has been "released" is that the new player experience is bad, better than it was but it still has its hiccups.

2. DE is a good company, but yea they have to make money. If you think a problem is there just to make money, it probably is. DE is no stranger to this tactic. Its predatory, but its a part of the F2P gaming space.

On 12/9/2017 at 1:53 AM, the_vede_ said:

So, I'm a Warframe n00b. Started playing a couple weeks back and have invested about 37 hours thus far. I'm absolutely LOVING it, except for this mission in the "Stolen Dreams" questline. It's absolutely ridiculous. There are no other challenges in the game up to this point that adequately prep you for a stealth mission this difficult, regardless of whether you have ciphers or not. It took me ~10 attempts to beat it over multiple days, which is ~9 attempts more than literally any other mission in the game so far. It was such a frustrating experience that even after beating it -- just now, FINALLY! -- I felt compelled to come here and vent.  

Doing a quick google search reveals that players have been complaining about this mission for more than a year? DE, for the love of GAWD, and more importantly for the sake of my fellow n00bs who haven't yet gotten to this mission -- please consider dropping the requirement to pull off three hacks in this mission down to two so that mere mortals stop hitting this completely unnecessary (and likely unintended) wall.

Thank you.

Now back to this otherwise glorious game!

-Vede      

One thing to note -- this may not be the optimal way to solve a vault (you miss out on affinity, and you may have to fight defenders), but it is possible to treat vaults like smash-n-grabs rather than stealth missions. Rhino, for instance, can barrel through corpus laser grids if he has Iron Skin on, and he won't be knocked down. Any warframe can roll through them with a minor ding to shields.

In any case, pack a bunch of ciphers (I usually keep 20-50 on me at all times), and move fast through the vault to the objective, and you can ignore lasers and tripwires and all that and just brute-force the thing. The key to this approach, of course, is knowing the various vault layouts and how to move directly to the vault objective. It's easier on some vaults than others.

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

• 2 weeks later...

This questline is utter garbage. I can do it, sure, but it's boring. BORING. It's even worse if I fail one of the missions because of needless difficulty spikes in the not-why-anyone-is-here hacking minigame, or because the layout of a vault is some illogical nonsense or you just get plain unlucky.....and that's it. This frustrating sewage of a questline has just wasted my time entirely, and I have to run the mission again. This boring mission. This mission I don't want to do, but will glare at me forever because I can't tell a questline to go away forever once I started it.

I don't care. This isn't interesting. Normal spy missions tend to operate as a little change of pace in objective, and if any single thing goes wrong, it doesn't fail the mission and tell you to shove your head up your own squirrel hole. But this? This is someone drinking their own Kool-Aid and loving their pet missiontype so much they decided to beat you in the face with it with their super special snowflake make-it-a-centrepiece questline for it. You know, if it said "This is all high level Spy missions that have to be perfected" when it started, I wouldn't have started. Because I don't care. Difficult Spy missions are boring, because I'm not here to play a stealth puzzle game.

Yeah, some people like the Spy missions. Woohoo. Good for you. But in case anyone forgot, the game is called WARframe, we're carrying three different weapons at all times with hundreds of rounds of ammo, and we're levelling it all up by shooting literally thousands of enemies directly in the face, every day. The main reason people are playing is pretty evident. Simple curveballs like regular spy missions break up the bullet to face interfacing nicely. Relatively simple minigames do the same and introduce the wrinkle of having to clear enemies before you do it so it's not just 'Press X to kill alarm'. Ultimately, it's all frosting for a cake made out of shooting enemies directly in the face - everything facilitates sending bullets on blind dates with faces. Even the 'stealth' part of the game is fun because.....I'm killing people with it. It's not because I'm running around Sci-Fi Vent #758436257463278562 and patting myself on the back for my super sneakiness, it's because I get to run up behind a guy and laugh when I pull Volnus out of hammerspace and 'silently' smash him all over the landscape. Then his friend. And HIS friend. Forever, to a soundtrack of maniacal laughter.

THIS questline assumes that because I like some simple frosting on my cake, then clearly I want a cake shaped mass of frosting, and that I'll be happy to eat it all and lick the plate in order to be allowed to leave the building. No. Take your frosting pile, rub it into your own eyeballs, flush your head, and let me get back to some GOD DAMN CAKE.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it was the same as for the OP.

As relative new to the Game, this Questpart was a sh*** for me.

Suddenly (as in never before near as full) you have full Grid-Hacking-Riddles and a lot more difficult and unknown Vault-Layouts.

Before, every Sypmission was Fun, but not this one.

I didnt bother the difficulty of the Enemys ( for me,this was not the Problem at all)  but the difficulty of the Vault-Layouts, the  full Grid-Hacking-Riddles and that you must have 3 out 3 Vaults to solve.

And as far as i know Ciphers didnt help in the inner-Vault-Hackings.

So, i can understand the OP and agree.

Edited by DerAlteFritz

• 1 month later...

It's making me want to quit the game. I hate this mission *so much*. It is not remotely fun or interesting, and I don't *want* to go to youtube to memorize the layout of everything.  I missed the 3rd one by 0.05 seconds or so and it made me want to never open the game again, not grind forever to get a magical stealth frame which I can't even see why it'd help me out here, because there are no descriptions anywhere of what anything does.

7 hours ago, usufruct said:

It's making me want to quit the game. I hate this mission *so much*. It is not remotely fun or interesting, and I don't *want* to go to youtube to memorize the layout of everything.  I missed the 3rd one by 0.05 seconds or so and it made me want to never open the game again, not grind forever to get a magical stealth frame which I can't even see why it'd help me out here, because there are no descriptions anywhere of what anything does.

as said above, ciphers are your best friends in this situation

and a stealth wf would allow you to take your time in the vaults becuse you are not going to trigger the cameras or other enemies in the vault

• 2 weeks later...

So I am also stuck on this quest but I am happy to wait it out. With 25h of gametime and still using an Excalibur (rhino on its way though) I can appreciate the difficulty spike.  But outside of focusing on the stealth warframe is there another break point?  For example mastery level?

I'll try the Rhino smash-and-grab approach once I have it.  

Well, there are two ways to approach Vaults, really.

1) Stealth-capable frames (which are scarce at this point) or at least, stealth-capable companions (Shade and Huras Kubrow). Learn the layouts, level geometry and slip in. With some practice, can be done without any stealth whatsoever, as demonstrated multiple times already (look up "excalibur spy run warframe" on Youtube, for example). 

2) "Who needs stealth" approach. You just barge in, guns blazing, tripping every alarm and using Ciphers/Liset Air Support charges when pressed for time. Might not work in harder tilesets (Uranus, Lua, Kuva Fortress) but should definitely work for lower-tier spy vaults. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been at this for hours, even with a leveled Loki Prime and ciphers.  If all they want is my money I'd pay to skip this!!

Like magic the rant worked, first try.

Edited by Deistic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest, this discussion/thread is classic Warframe community. I, like the_vede and others on here, are a total noob. I'm at MR4, I've put in some time but am barely getting started, I'm not rushing through the main storyline (such as it is) but then there.Is.This.Mission. End of progress. I've done it 4 times so far and I'm not even close. And here comes the community. 'Get this Warframe and that Warframe'. 'Get high level mods'. 'Breed....(somehow, a particular breed) of Kubrow'. I have to say the community has been very helpful in person, offering to taxi whenever asked. But when it comes to forums y'all seem to have completely forgotten what it's llike in early game. YOU DON"T HAVE ACCESS to mulitple Warframes, people! And nothing whatsoever leads you into or prepares you for this mission! THIS IS relatively EARLY GAME!! I don't know what winds me up more.....this RIDICULOUS mission (at this stage in the game) and people spouting completely unhelpful advice. Just had to get that off my chest.

Edited by Janetta
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 2017-12-09 at 1:06 AM, Darkvramp said:

At this point in the game players don't have access to Ivara, Loki, or even the best mods yet. They may have access to Ash but his invis is 8 seconds. Corpus vaults are more difficult than Grineer too. You're setting the bar high for a newer player. 

• 3 weeks later...
En 21/12/2017 a las 9:23, SaintDaisley dijo:

This questline is utter garbage. I can do it, sure, but it's boring. BORING. It's even worse if I fail one of the missions because of needless difficulty spikes in the not-why-anyone-is-here hacking minigame, or because the layout of a vault is some illogical nonsense or you just get plain unlucky.....and that's it. This frustrating sewage of a questline has just wasted my time entirely, and I have to run the mission again. This boring mission. This mission I don't want to do, but will glare at me forever because I can't tell a questline to go away forever once I started it.

I don't care. This isn't interesting. Normal spy missions tend to operate as a little change of pace in objective, and if any single thing goes wrong, it doesn't fail the mission and tell you to shove your head up your own squirrel hole. But this? This is someone drinking their own Kool-Aid and loving their pet missiontype so much they decided to beat you in the face with it with their super special snowflake make-it-a-centrepiece questline for it. You know, if it said "This is all high level Spy missions that have to be perfected" when it started, I wouldn't have started. Because I don't care. Difficult Spy missions are boring, because I'm not here to play a stealth puzzle game.

Yeah, some people like the Spy missions. Woohoo. Good for you. But in case anyone forgot, the game is called WARframe, we're carrying three different weapons at all times with hundreds of rounds of ammo, and we're levelling it all up by shooting literally thousands of enemies directly in the face, every day. The main reason people are playing is pretty evident. Simple curveballs like regular spy missions break up the bullet to face interfacing nicely. Relatively simple minigames do the same and introduce the wrinkle of having to clear enemies before you do it so it's not just 'Press X to kill alarm'. Ultimately, it's all frosting for a cake made out of shooting enemies directly in the face - everything facilitates sending bullets on blind dates with faces. Even the 'stealth' part of the game is fun because.....I'm killing people with it. It's not because I'm running around Sci-Fi Vent #758436257463278562 and patting myself on the back for my super sneakiness, it's because I get to run up behind a guy and laugh when I pull Volnus out of hammerspace and 'silently' smash him all over the landscape. Then his friend. And HIS friend. Forever, to a soundtrack of maniacal laughter.

THIS questline assumes that because I like some simple frosting on my cake, then clearly I want a cake shaped mass of frosting, and that I'll be happy to eat it all and lick the plate in order to be allowed to leave the building. No. Take your frosting pile, rub it into your own eyeballs, flush your head, and let me get back to some GOD DAMN CAKE.

You just expressed everything I'm feeling right now perfectly. 

The difficulty spike in this mission is so big. Not only that but the hacking when you are only given 15 seconds and is the first time you have seen one with full hexagons things is really frustrating. Also it doesn't help that the controls for hacking suck on console.