Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loot boxes and why I would be ok with them...

Glavenusaur

37 minutes ago, Glavenusaur said:

I get that, but people seem to forget that this game is completely FREE! we should be willing to support them somehow, as i personally have yet to find any legitimate reason to spend my plat except for just slots...

You are supporting the game, even if you never buy even a single slot. You're filling up groups that allow people like me, who spend $100+ per year on Warframe, to keep playing. If everybody who didn't spend money in Warframe suddenly left, I'd suddenly have a much harder time finding groups, and I'd probably end up leaving as well.

Edited by motorfirebox

NO, NO AND ER NO! And thankfully we will not be getting them either.

Digital Extremes Vice President of Publishing, Meredith Braun released a statement on why too, and I have to say its so nice to see, and she is the reason we have such a good system that the most feel is fair, adding RANDOM RIP OFF LOOT boxes is the stupidest idea ever, and I'm socked that ANYONE playing this game who has a love for it with even bring this up, dear god.

READ Vice President of Publishing, Meredith Braun STATEMENT IS GREAT! And a MUST READ.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-04-warframe-dev-industry-must-get-better-at-giving-players-a-choice-and-a-voice

Also Pretty Good GAMING did a video on it if you'd like to watch rather than read.

Edited by DelBoyJamie

Seriously, what is wrong with people? Ever since the idiocy EA did at BF2, a lot of topics appear here and there about loot boxes, as people WANT them in this game... Are you out of your mind? Warframe was fine up till this day since it's start. The only thing resemble a loot box is the Mod packs on the market, and I doubt that anyone buying them who played at least a couple of hours and is getting familiar how mods and drops work in Warframe.

So... please. Just stop making these nonsense topics about WF and loot boxes. There are none in Warframe and I hope it will stay this way.

The difference between DE and EA is that EA is trash. There are no words in a dictionary to describe the awful practices and things EA has done and is continuing to do.

Loot boxes would push away a large player base and everyone who hates loot boxes might dismiss Warframe as a game without trying it.

8 billion in sales, and 19 million in micro transactions.

Now, I wouldn't have a problem with microtransactions if you specifically got what the package stated, and it wasn't a random drop (gambling)

There is also the problem of certain game developers who seem to think microtransactions=game content. I never really had a problem with DLC or micros until you started paying the same price for half of a game.

NO NO NOOOOOO !!!

When DE would do this  a huge part of their veteran playerbase would just leave in a heartbeat.

Im happy that it looks like they will never do this or they would destroy their own game.

Alone that you ask for this or bring this on the table disgust me.

Edited by K0bra

1 hour ago, -Temp0- said:

Now bout no?

It's atrocious enough to deal with warframe's rng as it is, if they will add lootboxes with freaking cosmetics I will be looking for other game to play. This is the thing that killed Overwatch for me.

I'm pretty sure they're literally rolling in cash from all the  tennogen they sell as it is consideing how many you see in the missions.

Yeah only little problem, they became progressively worse and worse.

Since new skins are only being added as event skins (which means time limited, you an only get them once a year for 3 weeks) and 90% of them are legendary (which means they cost x3 times more than normal legendary) it's pain in the *** to get them, and now they're adding skins that can only be bought for real money too + 50 lootboxes cost like a game itself this system isn't that "well" received as you make it to be. It's *** awful.

Tennogen? Prime access? Prime accessories? Buying any prime an non-prime warframe whenever you want, on the day of release? Boosters? Any mods you want, including rivens if you're into it, any arcanes if you're into it? Hello?

Overwathc should't have lootboxes to begin with, bloody game cost 60$ and was sold with lying to customers about being able to get all the skins by "just playing the game" which a year later turned into "but we add new skins only during events that last 3 weeks so you'll either grind to the point your eyes falling off in that time or you''ll buy the lootboxes anyway"

As much as i  myself would like loot-boxes to disappear myself, the fact of the matter will be that they wont, what SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be in a game is not upto us, we have no right to dictate how a company chooses to sell their own IP, along with the fact that the money made from loot boxes is so substantial, it wouldn't make any business sense to not incorporate this mechanic in some fashion or another, as much as everyone would like for them not to, they are first and foremost a business, and I strongly believe they will incorporate it fairly "WHEN" that time comes.

1 minute ago, K0bra said:

NO NO NOOOOOO !!!

When DE would do this loads of their veteran playerbase would just leave in a heartbeat.Im happy that it looks like they will never do this or they would destroy their own game.

The figures state otherwise, this is more about facts rather than emotions, the money in loot-boxes is so substantial, its borderline scary. What difference would a few thousand players leaving make, when you will have attracted literal "WHALES" who would spend tens of thousands of the game itself.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Glavenusaur:

The figures state otherwise, this is more about facts rather than emotions, the money in loot-boxes is so substantial, its borderline scary. What difference would a few thousand players leaving make, when you will have attracted literal "WHALES" who would spend tens of thousands of the game itself.

Blablabla.You have no clue what you talk about.A huge part of warframes success is the fairest f2p modell ever existed.The other thing is DE actually listen to their playerbase.Would DE do this their success streak would end soon and they would get a neverending HUGE S#&$storm.

So stop talk about this discusting topic.No one wants this *** in warframe and no one really wants to talk about this.

Edited by K0bra

Warframe is the game that showed me that f2p and microtransactions can be done right. Until I got into this game, I was firmly in the camp of "no all-inclusive sub = nope." I've quit playing several games I really, really liked over loot boxes and going full-tilt-moron with cash grabs. Games like SWTOR, WildStar, and DCUO that dare to charge a subscription fee but also require additional spending to have access to everything in them (often placing assets in gambling boxes) soured me to f2p games. The absence of crap like that is the main reason I stuck with WoW for so many years.

Then, I found Warframe. I can't believe this is free. At first, I was upset that there wasn't a subscription model but I soon figured out that the game doesn't need one. I open my wallet when I want for what I want and get exactly what I pay for. I've spent more on this game in the last 3 months than I care to admit and I don't regret it one bit. Bravo, DE.

That being said, if they introduce gambling crates in any way, shape or form, I will gift my plat to the first person who responds to the post in trade and delete the game from my PC.

1 minute ago, K0bra said:

Blablabla.You have no clue what you talk about.A huge part of warframes success is the fairest f2p modell ever existed.The other thing is DE actually listen to their playerbase.

So stop talk about this discusting topic.No one wants this *** in warframe and no one really wants to talk about this.

I don't want loot-boxes in the game too, as i have stated multiple times throughout this thread, i'm just saying because of the HUGE amount of money being made thanks to loot-boxes, i wouldn't be surprised if DE put them in, in some fashion or other, and i strongly believe that "WHEN" they do, i would actually be pretty ok with it, regarding how great DE have been with their player-base, wouldn't you?

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Glavenusaur:

I don't want loot-boxes in the game too, as i have stated multiple times throughout this thread, i'm just saying because of the HUGE amount of money being made thanks to loot-boxes, i wouldn't be surprised if DE put them in, in some fashion or other, and i strongly believe that "WHEN" they do, i would actually be pretty ok with it, regarding how great DE have been with their player-base, wouldn't you?

EA actually lost 3 billions bc of the star wars disaster and it is still not over and lost the rest of their credibility by the gamers.

This whole fiasco will have a huge impact on later EA games sales.You will see.

Edited by K0bra

Just now, K0bra said:

EA actually lost 3 billions bc of the star wars disaster and it is still not over.

EA is an case study of how NOT to implement micro-transactions, i'm glad they felt the burn after the stunt they tried to pull, putting pay to win mechanics in a full priced AAA game is NEVER ok. They failed cause of how they implemented micro-transactions, the methods they used. not because of micro-transactions themselves, Overwatch being a great example of how it's done.

And when you have figures like 19 billion dollars revenue made through micro-transactions alone and that too only on PC compared to the general sales of games THEMSELVES across all THREE platforms only making £8 billion (less than half)... as a business you would literally be saying no to bucket loads of cash literally for "FREE".

EXAMPLES of "Microtransaction"

EA: BattlfieldPlay4Free, Battlefield Heroes              (CLOSED)

Ubi: Ghost Recon Online                                         (CLOSED)

I got BURNED from those Game, THANKS *heavy disgust*.

Question for Blizzard: Will you Follow your Brethen into THE MICRO-WAVE?

We have Loots Boxes, and they remain Small Joke, not MOBILE driven.

DO YOUR RESEARCH. :PANIC_BUTTON:

Loot boxes will NEVER come to this game. They are now, more than ever, frowned upon in the gaming society, and its become so apparent that people hate it, many locations across the globe are pushing to make them illegal. Stop trying scare tactics by saying DE will eventually do loot boxes....they won't. Not ever. Confirmed in this article that was posted earlier but you clearly didn't acknowledge, OP, because it backs up the fact that DE would never screw over their fanbase like that with loot boxes: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-04-warframe-dev-industry-must-get-better-at-giving-players-a-choice-and-a-voice

"Giving players a choice and a voice really matters,"

Loot boxes don't give players a voice. They force you to gamble and you spend much more money than our current MTX. 

Want further proof that it's the worst idea for Warframe? Look at the above comments, see the negativity. DE knows that it would lose an enormous amount of players. Loot boxes will soon be a dying breed,except for EA because they're greedy, self righteous idiots that only care about money, and not their consumer base. End of story. 

Цитата

As much as i  myself would like loot-boxes to disappear myself, the fact of the matter will be that they wont, what SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be in a game is not upto us, we have no right to dictate how a company chooses to sell their own IP

Sure as hell you can. By not buying or not playing their game.

I no longer play OW for example, I might consider doing so during events but that's about it and I know many who quit after playing for a year or several months,my friend list is full of people who last time were online 2-8+ months ago. And I won't buy lootboxes or skins because company lied to custmers about their business model either and it's also unacceptable to ask 50$ for 50 lootboxes with no guaranteed drops if your whole game costs 60$. End of story.

I still play WF after 2,5 years and buy many things including tennogen, prime frames and boosters so I probably spend 50 if not more $ a year on WF in the opposte to only once spending 60$ on OW and not even playing it anymore. I will stop the moment where your usual rng in WF will be doubled with lootboxes-like crp.

Edited by -Temp0-

Hahahaha! I had a good chuckle with this one.

I get that it's a hot topic right now and people want to consider all the options. But why would you want to leave something that you could do with absolute certainty for chance even if it was at a "reduced cost". 

The whole idea of loot boxes rubs me the wrong way. We have the option to buy a lot of stuff in this game. Allowing us to trade for platinum has made Warframe a game that doesn't have to be bought to enjoy the premium perks. It's not pay to win when you can grind prime items/mods, sell them in trade chat, and go buy your cosmetic or that prime part that's alluded you because of RNG.

The RNG is already a topic of complaint in Warframe and now you want to add a monetary value to it? You want to pay for a box that will give you a chance at something you could just purchase? The microtransactions are necessary for this game since it is free but just because loot  boxes are the trend doesn't make them the right thing to do.

AAA games have been in a downward spiral into milking customers for every dollar they can. Games aren't shipped complete anymore. DLC is pre planned to the point that it's advertised at release, pay extra at your preorder(aka give us money before you see the finished product) to get an exclusive skin, buy the "legendary edition" (the artificially inflated $100 copy with a map, stylish cover that'll sit on your shelf anyway up against all the other ones, etc.),  then they threw microtransactions into premium games (looking at you Destiny), and now slot machine loot boxes.

The marketing departments of these publishers are praying on your hobby to make as much money as possible. They don't care what the game is, they don't care if the schedule is rushed and glitches make it to the final product, all that matters is that the people who financed the game get a return on their investment. COD alone has made billions over the last decade for these guys on an investment of about $200 million a year. Advanced warfare alone ,after a quick Google search,$200 million budget,$400 million in the first 24 hours! And it went on to make billions. That's just one game in the franchise. 

The money grubbing in gaming right now is just down right ridiculous.

If you want to support DE then buy plat once in a while, buy Tennogen,  buy Prime Access. But don't become complacent with following the trends. Loot boxes are cancer and the epitome of what's  wrong with mainstream gaming right now. Not to mention it's starting to get recognized as gambling in some areas.

DE's business model for Warframe is extremely fair, if not balanced more towards the consumer. The flexibility of platinum and nearly zero pay to win factor is necessary to keeping Warframe the ongoing game that it is. 

TL;DR: Wow! I got a little carried away on that one.

Basically, hard no on loot boxes since they are the scum of the gaming world right now. They are just a way for the publishers to get more money out of honest people. I'd like to believe DE has a little more integrity than that. 

If the sentiment is to support them, buy what they are already selling.

Lootboxes by EA and Blizzard's design are 100% legitimate and illegal gambling, and they're unacceptable by any means in any game.

The "Lootboxes" Warframe has (Mod packs, relic packs, a tennogen transaction when steam has extreme traffic) are completely acceptable and, might I add, legal, as you do not have to pay for them, there are far more ways of obtaining them freely than purchasing them with real money, the currency to purchase them can also be freely traded for, and DE does not lock half the entire game behind them and you don't ever have an incentive or "must-have" to purchase or even get them.

Why don't we just have loot-boxes from every company that provides goods? Supermarkets selling food in loot-boxes. Hairdressers selling cuts in loot-boxes. Cosmetic loot-boxes are okay right? Energy supply loot-boxes. I mean, businesses need to make money and loot-boxes are now the proven way to make the most money so why not? Right? Right?

I hate the "businesses need to make money" argument. The people who trot that out are generally talking about making 'profit', not just making money. Why do businesses need to make profit? Why isn't it good enough for businesses to make enough money to pay their staff well and produce a good product? What is a business? Why do people talk about businesses like they are a natural, organic entity that can exist in the wild, rather an artificial construct created by humans to facilitate and excuse greed?

Maybe you have too much money, you have been provided with numerous ways to support DE, but you cannot see any 'legitimate' way to support them? Maybe give some of that spare cash to charity? Surely the world provides you with enough avenues to gamble money away?

You're playing devils advocate aren't you? Please tell me you are.