Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loot boxes and why I would be ok with them...

Glavenusaur

4 hours ago, Glavenusaur said:

In other words any game developer and/or publisher who doesn't include micro-transactions is literally saying no to free HUGE AMOUNTS of money,

This. This right here is why a great-looking single-player Star Wars game got shot down. After it was presented, EA pointed to its money-printing lootboxes and said "Where's your version of that?". The company-first mindset of its decision-making then came into play and now that game doesn't exist.

I *hate* this mindset with a passion. It makes money, yes, but it kills player trust. And that, in the long-term, is more important. As EA is starting to learn.

5 hours ago, Glavenusaur said:

Hello all,

I'm sure we have all heard about the recent fiasco in regards to how EA fumbled in regards to micro-transactions for one of their recent games, Star wars Battlefront 2. I, like most people to my knowledge, agree that pay to win mechanics should have no place in full priced AAA game. I can just about tolerate cosmetic only micro-transactions as it is.

But then what about a game like Warframe? Not only is it a free to play game, but one that really doesn't force you to pay a penny as i'm sure we all know. The truth of the matter however, is that micro-transactions (loot-boxes in particular) seem to be the way the game industry is heading, from what i have gathered (correct me if i'm wrong), game sales in general across all three platforms generated a total 8 billion dollars in revenue, where as the revenue generated from just micro-transactions and that too on PC alone generated around 19 billion dollars... In other words any game developer and/or publisher who doesn't include micro-transactions is literally saying no to free HUGE AMOUNTS of money,

I believe its only a matter of time till they enter Warframe, but if and when they do, I would actually be ok with it, as i trust the developers of this game as much as CD Project red in all honesty, and i'm sure if anyone will find the balance it's DE, would you however be ok with it?

Yeah, but no.

Loot boxes and why you would be Ok with them???!

The carefull way in which you are presenting your idea and how you try to not antagonize anyone while at the same time painting us a picture as lootboxes being something inevitable... "It's coming guys, I don't love them too much either, but it's gonna come anyway''... while ignoring that not one person said anything remotly possitive..  You are such a damn SHILL. Who is paying you?

That is all I want to know.

Edited by .Re-light.

No,get outta here with that asinine garbage.

loot boxes are the reason “triple A” games are S#&$e now.

no matter what nonsense anyone says about “then just dont buy them”,developers change the ecosystem of a game just to suit loot boxes.it changes the game,and not for the better.

loot boxes need to die in a fire.

no just no, also you keep trotting out this huge amount of money made with micro transactions. micro transactions and "loot boxes" are two different things just because that amount of money is being made on micro transactions does not mean all or even most of it is made via loot boxes, try actually using accurate figures before you start saying they will be losing tons of money by not doing it. 

Why should it be a corporations responsibility to not take advantage of weak willed adults and children for profit. I think a lot of these complaints come from poor people who are jealous they can not afford the number of loot boxes required to eventually get a desired item.   If you can't afford it, get a second or third job you communists. Gambling is a healthy part of human society and has been a thing for thousands of years. The earlier we can get kids and young people started with gambling the better. I have nine kids and the youngest (currently 18 months) has already starting stealing credit card info online to fund his loot box habit. If a baby can show initiative why can't you? 

Edited by Eyleus

The only reason loot boxes seem to be the way the industry is going as stated in OP is cause of Really and i mean Really Dumb consumers, if everyone stopped buying the damn boxes guess what will happen, theyll go away

Same thing with season passes, season passes was a great idea, when it started, allowing fans of known good games to buy all dlc early for a massively discounted price, except now all the sudden season passes cost the same as the whole game did and only comes with half the dlc, for what? so they can make more money off you

Samething from online gaming updates and such, when it started it was like great, game devs can now fix bugs and other things after release so i dont have to wait on a GoTY edition to come along with remastered and fixed stuff, except now game companies use it as a crutch and release half baked broken to the sky games cause hey, people will buy it anyway and we can just fix it later

EA isnt even comparable to DE on any level and if you buy and play EA Games your willing choosing to be robbed blind so i dont feel bad for anyopne that does really, I mean am i the only friggin person that remember when EA attempted to launch online passcodes where if you bought a not brand new game or borrowed a game from a friend you could not play it online at all unless you spent $30 to unlock online mode lol (Which other game companies then adopted or atleast tried to before they realized it totally destroyed resale value (making initial sales their only profit gain) and outright lowered regular retail sales cause noone wanted to deal with it then hey, it seemed to go away over night)

The Entire and i mean entire gaming industry has pretty much reached the point where somethings gonna break and itll break in the next few years probably and i can tell ya it wont be the consumers that break lol our wallets are to powerful to them

Edited by Tokens210

I have a problem in the convergence of Sedna, I created the weapons marelok, soma and Rubicon but I do not give them as a goal, I've been with this problem for 5 days ... I'm a user of xbox one, sorry for my English and if I've made a mistake with this forum ... It's the first time I write to a game ... I hope some solution, I can not make the adventure the internal war .. Mail goonerazul@gmail.com nickname Goooolazo. By the way, I'm a 6th master and I have the path unlocked in pluton.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Glavenusaur:

Sure, those are both valid options, and in all honesty, i would love it if it could stay this way too, but lets all be realistic here, This is still a business, and businesses first and for most need to make money, if they can keep their consumers happy at the same time that's great, but we would be kidding ourselves if we don't believe that making money is EVERY businesses TOP priority. and as much as we all may hate them, loot-boxes have proven themselves to be a very easy way to make huge amounts of money (if done correctly unlike EA...), infact more so than the sale of games THEMSELVES!

I don't believe the question is "IF" but rather "WHEN" and when it does happen, I would still be ok with DE and support them, how about you guys?

How about lets be real here for a second and lets think about a fact you seem to completly ignore this hole thread:
killing of the playerbase for more money in the short therme is not a good buisness decision!
The thing with this playerbase is that we like the system as it is. Pay for what you want.
And you did state:if they can keep their consumers happy. and we are happy because we get what we want and not a chance to get what we want.
If you can keep you consumers around they will be spending a lot more, than a few players if you introduce Pay to Win or Lootboxes or other Sytems. 

Since Fashionframe is endgame DE knows that they can focus to create more Cosmetics to get their income.

Also in a game like warframe which has players which did say that rivens are to RNG heavy do we need a system which has more RNG that that or Relict and so on and so fort.

I think the answer as most other people did say is a clear NO.
So dont play the devils advocate for lootboxes there is no good reason for them to exist!
If you want to gamble a lot ask DE to implement kuva for Plat so you can gamble and support the game
or buy plat and/or warframe merch in their store.
And last most of things said in this thread are nearly identical because we dont want Warframe to be ruined by such a thing. 

8 hours ago, (PS4)daymun said:

Why don't we just have loot-boxes from every company that provides goods? Supermarkets selling food in loot-boxes. Hairdressers selling cuts in loot-boxes. Cosmetic loot-boxes are okay right? Energy supply loot-boxes. I mean, businesses need to make money and loot-boxes are now the proven way to make the most money so why not? Right? Right?

I hate the "businesses need to make money" argument. The people who trot that out are generally talking about making 'profit', not just making money. Why do businesses need to make profit? Why isn't it good enough for businesses to make enough money to pay their staff well and produce a good product? What is a business? Why do people talk about businesses like they are a natural, organic entity that can exist in the wild, rather an artificial construct created by humans to facilitate and excuse greed?

Maybe you have too much money, you have been provided with numerous ways to support DE, but you cannot see any 'legitimate' way to support them? Maybe give some of that spare cash to charity? Surely the world provides you with enough avenues to gamble money away?

You're playing devils advocate aren't you? Please tell me you are.

Exactly, EA has BILLIONS of profit. Yet their games only gets worse.

Stating "businesses need to make money" is a S#&$ argument.

Loot boxes in general make you spend MORE for the item you want, instead of just outright being able to buy it.

If I wanted to gamble my life away I'd play Russian roulette, i'd rather just buy something straight up.

Loot boxes are gambling, and should have no place in gaming.

well waframe has already loot boxes, but technicaly, they are implemented in a way that doesnt harm the player in any way, since they can just trade the parts or mods that got  and didnt wanted for parts or mods other players are willing to give, theres also the platinum currency who makes the whole system healthy for the consumer, at other post i mentioned that yes, the mod packs by all definition are loot boxes, but no one really cares about them because of the trade system and platinum system, and cosmetics are not behind an RNG wall so its not really the same case as other games in the industry who are implementeing consmetics behind loot boxes

11 hours ago, Glavenusaur said:

As much as i  myself would like loot-boxes to disappear myself, the fact of the matter will be that they wont, what SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be in a game is not upto us, we have no right to dictate how a company chooses to sell their own IP, along with the fact that the money made from loot boxes is so substantial, it wouldn't make any business sense to not incorporate this mechanic in some fashion or another, as much as everyone would like for them not to, they are first and foremost a business, and I strongly believe they will incorporate it fairly "WHEN" that time comes.

Are you even listening to yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewByYcYg6nA

11 hours ago, Glavenusaur said:

I don't want loot-boxes in the game too, as i have stated multiple times throughout this thread, i'm just saying because of the HUGE amount of money being made thanks to loot-boxes, i wouldn't be surprised if DE put them in, in some fashion or other, and i strongly believe that "WHEN" they do, i would actually be pretty ok with it, regarding how great DE have been with their player-base, wouldn't you?

You really think that after the recent slew of governments starting to investigate the issue, EA's absolute ****show regarding lootboxes in Battlefront 2, not to mention the growing distaste in the gaming industry (for freaking years now) over what is a God-awful practice, that DE would implement lootboxes? If they did, it would be a seriously moronic move.

Lootboxes make more money than direct microtransactions because you're being tricked into paying for something you might not get, so you pay more to try and improve the chances of getting it. Why the hell would you be ok with that? Instead of selling you the Frost Harka skin for $5 (or whatever), you'd be perfectly fine paying more than that for a chance of getting it?

DE have been fantastic with the playerbase (for the most part) over the 3ish years I've been following the game, but if lootboxes were added, no, I would not support it. It's a bull**** practice that's dishonest and hopefully gets forgotten as soon as possible.