Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Meanwhile in Overwatch - Dont let this happen to warframe

SirWranwrap

Hey so with the advent of easy reporting brought recently to the PC the inevitable "If you don't start doing X (X being play the game, play the frame I want you to etc) I'll report you." is bound to occur. Warframe has a decently mature community when it comes to player interaction (sure region chats can be a cesspool but that's a given for mmos) but we need to make sure the reports aren't weapons to be misused. Generally, if you need to scream at someone saying you're going to report them you are attempting to control them and probably equally guilty of harassment.

So in overwatch they have implemented a failed report system that is banning people based on a number of reports they receive automatically. This doesn't work and don't bring it here. Trolls are 100x more likely to report someone than a calm player who will simply block the offender in most cases.

As can be seen here, please read the OP of this thread as it shows what is happening:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759568420?page=1

So this is just a word of caution to the devs to avoid bringing a similar system here. Player moderation and bans are needed but if you give a nuke to a bad guy he's going to be the first one to fire it. 

Edit: See page 2 for the complete text of the linked post. Added since blizzard tends to resort to community censorship when things light up and this thread is certain to 'disappear' even though it was already edited by a moderator.

Edited by SirWranwrap
404 not found

Ok, while DE may not be the perfect developer team, they're a far cry above generally everyone else out there when it comes to trying to keep the playerbase in mind when they decide on what kind of changes to implement. Sure, they like to experiment with crazy ideas, and sometimes they don't all pan out the way they hoped, but they've never seemed to be the kind of devs to look at something they KNOW will not work and force it through because it means less work for them.

Also, you hear them comment quite often on how regularly they check up on what other developers/studios are doing, and what works, and what doesn't work, so it's not like they're shooting from the hip on that front, either.

If there's anything to be afraid of with DE right now, it's that they're going to overwork themselves until they can't take it anymore and start dropping like Canadian flies--either retiring early or taking lengthy vacations and hitting the pause button on Warframe.

~In addition~

I've only ever had positive experiences with Zendesk (Warframe's support team), though I've heard smatterings of complaints against them, it's usually something like "I submitted my ticket 1 hour ago and it hasn't been addressed yet! REEEE (on Sunday night)" I dunno...maybe it's partly due to how I always try to be positive and respectful, clear and concise, when dealing with the folks at Zendesk, but I'd like to think it's because they're working their hardest to resolve the tens of thousands of issues that pop up on a weekly basis (if not daily).

Edited by Meta_Nexus
More.

16 minutes ago, SirWranwrap said:

Warframe has a decently mature community when it comes to player interaction (sure region chats can be a cesspool but that's a given for mmos) but we need to make sure the reports aren't weapons to be misused.

I dont think our community (PvE + some PvP) is in any ways better then Overwatch community (PvP). Seeing almost all PvP community  or the game has some PvP elements in it are as toxic as other PvP.

16 minutes ago, SirWranwrap said:

So in overwatch they have implemented a failed report system that is banning people based on a number of reports they receive automatically. 

Wow, so a clan/group of trolls can ban other innocent players as they are GMs. Fail...

Thanks for heads up. Our community will remain less toxic if there's isn't any ban-S#&$.

This is why many of us choose to play by ourselves. I can't count how many times I go to a public survival and people complain because I don't want to sit there and watch them Hydroid everything. Recruit chat is for setting up specific groups for farming. With a report system, I see that I'm going to have to go solo for now on.

5 minutes ago, low1991 said:

Wow, so a clan/group of trolls can ban other innocent players as they are GMs. Fail...

Thanks for heads up. Our community will remain less toxic if there's isn't any ban-S#&$.

Lol, not at all. The numbers for this are in the high hundreds, probably thousands. 

I love it when uninformed people talk about topics that they dont know anything about.

Yeah i left overwatch for this reason

Getting threaten by other players for a class you want to play and getting suspended over that is not my cup of tea.

If they want their super elite group , they they should make their own group and not rely on *RANDOMS to fill their needs

18 minutes ago, Jivy said:

i heard you can get reported for just being afk? wtf first of all why is that even a thing and 2nd of all why not just implement a kick system instead i mean seriously that will save u alot of work

Why would you start agame and then go afk?

OW clearly missed a crucial step in their implementation of the system, data collection.

First you collect data without the system in place so you can extract all the possible abuse cases before you enter that info into your learning bot.

League of legends may not be known for a clean gaming environment and community behaving like angels BUT. they had a player driven review system for years and at a point replaced it with a bot system without many of the abuse issues because they were already filtered out.

3 minutes ago, Jivy said:

because some pepole have lives?

Thats the most stupid argument you could have brought......If you cant time your "life" well enough to have 20 minutes of time before you have to go(for longer then a phone call) you shouldn't play any public online games, because that ruins the experience for everyone else in your group that has to carry you.

The game's communities are completely different however;

Warframe is a co-op third person shooter

Overwatch is a competitive first person shooter

Warframe is 4 people per squad so you can't really do much damage to the person you report.

Edited by IllumiMahdi

5 minutes ago, Jivy said:

because some pepole have lives?

people also have a team in the game and its scummy to leave them behind. Its generally pretty easy to distinguish a player who genuinely wants to play compared the the reportable offence that is leeching.

All in all when life calls and you are near the start of a mission. Be civilized and leave so the squad can get a member who is not standing around doing nothing. 

There are people who afk because stuff happens, okay.

Then there are people who literally joins a game, afk near the gate, then bail as soon as the bounty is completed.

The second kind of afker can go burn in hell. (Not because i mind soloing hounties, but because they act with S#&$ty manner)

5 hours ago, SirWranwrap said:

So in overwatch they have implemented a failed report system that is banning people based on a number of reports they receive automatically. This doesn't work and don't bring it here. Trolls are 100x more likely to report someone than a calm player who will simply block the offender in most cases.

I'm a little shocked they developed a system that was around in the 80's or so. In unmonitored chatrooms. Next they will pay for the distance their arrow has to travel via data links.