Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's talk about Sacrifice

Justice_Ember

5 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

@(PS4)Silverback73

I’m interested in your suggestion (that is 100% not the same thing as thinking that DE will do something like it, mind) but I am curious as to how you’d see the mechanics of that working. 

Were you thinking that it gets presented as ‘This is an Umbra Warframe. It uses a rather tricky and unpleasant system of Transference, which an Orokin Era Tenno can manage, but which might be dangerous for a modern, amnesiac Tenno. You wanna try?’ and if you do, it forces you to use skills you’ve forgotten and those skills drag up bad old memories?

Yes, along those lines...an awakening may occur-the catalyst being the Umbra connection.

It could play out like the Arnold version of Total Recall.

The voluntary (involuntary?) memory wipe fails

And/Or the history on how to control/capture etc may lead us on a standard quest-lore chase and our own past reveals dark truths.

I know I said an Umbra BP would be required but it really could be any kind of dark conversion process of a built prime.

I see the Prime frame as the physical sacrifice and innocence as the symbolic parallel that would give the community that negative gut punch that would nicely oppose the 2nd Dream positivity in a yin-yang way.

I can hear Ballas now:

"It's time to open your eyes and grow up. Margulis is gone."

I'd love the cosmetic option to grow up...or if Umbras ARE enlightened Tenno grown-ups.

I'd REALLY love it if DE took the "Hey Kiddo" Liset jump scare and foreshadowed this by having an evil grown-up version of yourself staring you in the face...

...the community would flip out.

And then you would INDEED have a choice to make...

Is the Lotus transformative truth or the great Lie?

Given the choice, do you remain Ordis or embrace Ordin Karris?

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

On 12/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, zzzNitro said:

So the Sacrifice quest is getting closer and closer, and despite there being an Umbra Megathread there's one thing I haven't see people talk about.

Who are we going to kill?

The Sacrifice is pretty self explanatory, someone is gonna die. The question is who, and as much as I'd like to kill one of the very few NPCs we have today I doubt we will have a choice.

I do hope to evaluate all options on this point, if a NPC is to die, which one and why?

Also, bonus question, will we use the helminth infirmary to kill/sacrifice whoever it is we end up killing?

Lastly, my own personal opinion, I'd kill Clem that's a death I would mourn, and I would hate that DE introduced a NPC to be killed during the same quest, there's no bond to suffer about. 

I'm pretty sure the conversation in the trailer is one being had in the past, so the sacrifice in question was something that has already happened, the question is less what will be sacrificed but what was sacrificed. 

In that regard, I'm still in favor of that one theory that umbra's are related to dax soldiers, and they were some kind of sacrifice for their creation. 

11 hours ago, Cubewano said:

the question is less what will be sacrificed but what was sacrificed. 

7 hours ago, Shad0wWatcher said:

What if it was Margulis? That she was the sacrifice...idk. The Sacrifice could already have taken place and we didn't even know about it (words from DKDiamantes) Watched his video and it sounded pretty damn sensible.

I'm completely sure that something/someone was already sacrificed, but so far the pattern seems to be doing certain things all over again. That's why I believe that there will be a reveal and a choice.

5 hours ago, zzzNitro said:

I'm completely sure that something/someone was already sacrificed, but so far the pattern seems to be doing certain things all over again. That's why I believe that there will be a reveal and a choice.

when did that pattern start?

10 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

when did that pattern start?

With the Second Dream, back in the tutorial you wake up from cryosleep as a warframe, then go back to wake up as a Tenno, then on the war within you re-learn things you once knew by learning the history through Teshin and then practicing it. 

The past and present are deeply tied, and we should see this on the Sacrifice, whatever we learn of the past will affect the actions we will end up taking.

Just now, zzzNitro said:

With the Second Dream, back in the tutorial you wake up from cryosleep as a warframe, then go back to wake up as a Tenno, then on the war within you re-learn things you once knew by learning the history through Teshin and then practicing it. 

The past and present are deeply tied, and we should see this on the Sacrifice, whatever we learn of the past will affect the actions we will end up taking.

Once isn't a pattern. The first works (and i honestly didn't realize the repetition there) but the second is a bit of a stretch, your memories got repressed and now they are being unlocked with help, that isn't a repetitious act on its own, unless what they were remembering is a time where they forgot and remember things again which it wasn't. 

I agree past and present are intertwined and it'll impact the quest, but that doesn't mean we'll be repeating the past, especially in such a literal fashion. 

2 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

I agree past and present are intertwined and it'll impact the quest, but that doesn't mean we'll be repeating the past, especially in such a literal fashion. 

Unless there's some genius writing on DE's part I doubt we get anything besides literal, I'm not trying to bring down DE, they have made a truly wonderful job.

I still remember when Nef and Alad were fighting each other and a few friends who had played the event were Alad killed a bunch of tennos were down right disgusted at even thinking of supporting him. I feel we need more of that, more of those strong emotional moments were we really have the fate of the system in our decisions.

1 minute ago, zzzNitro said:

Unless there's some genius writing on DE's part I doubt we get anything besides literal, I'm not trying to bring down DE, they have made a truly wonderful job.

I still remember when Nef and Alad were fighting each other and a few friends who had played the event were Alad killed a bunch of tennos were down right disgusted at even thinking of supporting him. I feel we need more of that, more of those strong emotional moments were we really have the fate of the system in our decisions.

Both sides got really amazing characters, but goddamn Alad V is on point... nice little chap! And I love more the Corpus than I do love the Grineer.

several-bad-puns-later-we-decided-to-vis

2 minutes ago, zzzNitro said:

you must be, because unless you think they are in like elementary school there is no reason think they can't handle extremely basic levels of writing, which is what that level of writing is. honestly i'm worried if you think you need to be a genius to write a plot with any level of complexity or thought. 

yes stories that make you feel are great, and means they are well written, but not sure what that has to do with this conversation. forcing someone to die does not promise such writing.  

4 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

you must be,

I am not.

4 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

unless you think they are in like elementary school there is no reason think they can't handle extremely basic levels of writing, which is what that level of writing is.

It's not about how much they can handle, it's rather the current narrative on their part.

5 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

honestly i'm worried if you think you need to be a genius to write a plot with any level of complexity or thought. 

You need to be a genius to opt for a change in narrative on the third act and pay it off something widely missed instead of what has been highly foreshadowed, take for example the disastrous case of Captain Boomerang and his unicorn on Suicide Squad.

8 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

yes stories that make you feel are great, and means they are well written, but not sure what that has to do with this conversation. forcing someone to die does not promise such writing.  

Indeed, that's why my main worry is that DE could introduce an NPC just to ultimately die, a la Triuna. Whereas forcing a death might cover minor writing missteps by pure impact.

1 hour ago, zzzNitro said:

I am not.

It's not about how much they can handle, it's rather the current narrative on their part.

You need to be a genius to opt for a change in narrative on the third act and pay it off something widely missed instead of what has been highly foreshadowed, take for example the disastrous case of Captain Boomerang and his unicorn on Suicide Squad.

Indeed, that's why my main worry is that DE could introduce an NPC just to ultimately die, a la Triuna. Whereas forcing a death might cover minor writing missteps by pure impact.

none of what you are saying makes a lick of sense frankly, i think you are just trying too hard to force your desires for the direction of this quest. 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Yeah, mean, I'm sure the slowing and eventually stopping EKG is just there for ambiance, totally not foreshadowing anything at all!

The only sacrifice that would really be impactful to me would be Lotus.  And it would be SO impactful, I suspect I'd stop playing (I actually quit Borderlands 2 for like a week after the climax, I was so mad, and the only reason I continued playing was for revenge[not sure I've ever hated a video game character quite as much as Jack; Gearbox did good]).  <3 Space Mom.

Oh look.  Lotus is gone, and so is my desire to keep playing.

See you later, Space Cowboy Mom.

6 minutes ago, zzzNitro said:

I wouldn't be as mad as I am if this hadn't been a teaser, give the full quest DE, this feels like edging...

What is edging?  And yeah, it sure would be nice to be able to go through and finish the quest and get my Lotus back to normal.  =-\  Lordis just isn't the same.  I wouldn't have finished it if I'd known it ended so abruptly and messed up Lotus' commentary in missions.

27 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

And yeah, it sure would be nice to be able to go through and finish the quest and get my Lotus back to normal.  =-\  Lordis just isn't the same.  I wouldn't have finished it if I'd known it ended so abruptly and messed up Lotus' commentary in missions.

I feel like Lordis is just parallel to Psycho's mother. I mean how sick in the head do you need to be to want a holographic mother replacement? For me it's a clear undertone of some serious darkness from our little tenno.