Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[GAMEPLAY CONCEPT]New Open World "Fleet" Missions (Edited after railjack reveal)

(XBOX)Codemanb8361

Thanks to @Salasay for part of this idea.

This is a concept for an archwing "open-world" mission(s).

This would come with an archwing rework.

STORY(this is old but i couldn't think of anything else):

Spoiler

After the events of the second dream, the lotus contacts you through your inbox. she says something about the Shadow Stalker getting on your ship and that now that you reside in your ship you need a new, safer, model. you are sent to a tenno faction construction yard. your whole ship fits into the yard(with windows to adjacent yards for your squad mates ships. you talk to someone, and then you are told about a fleet of ships(grineer) that she wants you to invade with your archwing. you board your ship and go to this "fleet" mission node, and do 1 or 2 missions (more below) for ship parts. you then take them back to the shipyard and are told you need some parts from the other faction(corpus). after you get back, you are taught how to build your ship (more below). {end scene with you stepping onto your ship for the first time.}

there would be exterior missions and events as well as interior missions and events.

The Tenno begin their Fleet mission in the railjack, in the middle of a massive fleet of ships. Lotus orders the Tenno to begin infiltrating individual ships within the fleet. While flying around the fleet, the Tenno must fight off standard Space opponents and occasionally will be given open-space tasks that they can complete if they want to, much like the Plains Incursions.

THE SHIPYARD

Spoiler

This is a new place where you can upgrade your Railjack.

EXTERIOR MISSIONS AND EVENTS:

Spoiler

BREACH AND CLEAR:

Spoiler

you put a large explosive device on the side of a ship. after you blow a large hole in the side of the ship, you will destroy any drones or archwing enemies that exit the hangar.

SALVAGE:

Spoiler

you need to fetch a couple different pieces from wrecked ships for use by The Shipyard.

ASSAULT:

Spoiler

SEARCH AND DESTROY(type 1):

Spoiler

you must find a special prototype ship in the fleet and destroy it.

SEARCH AND DESTROY(type 2😞

Spoiler

this one is just the thing from the trailer.

EVENTS:

Spoiler

ENEMY SIGHTED:

Spoiler

(can only happen if you are near an enemy ship) a ship has spotted you and sounded the alarm. escape the area or destroy the squadron sent to kill you.

COMET/ASTEROID SHOWER:

Spoiler

comets/asteroids fly through the fleet damaging the ships (and you if you aren't careful).

INTERIOR MISSIONS AND EVENTS:

Spoiler

When you get to the area the fleet is in, ordis drops you off in your archwing just like any other archwing mission. you will see many ships that belong to whichever faction's fleet you went to. in the distance you can see your ship (dont worry it's cloaked, only you and your squad mates can see it). you are instructed to get in close to the fleet. when you get close there are many entrances to the ships and you are told to get in the ship somehow. after you board Lotus will take some "scans of the ship" and assign you a mission to carry out on that ship. she may also give you a specific thing to go to in the ship and take. this will guarantee you that specific part for ship building if you do the mini-mission pass your current mission on the ship.

EXTERMINATE:

Spoiler

There is a large platoon of Grineer Marines stationed here, or some corpus equivalent. Lotus orders you to leave no one standing. Pretty self explanatory.

SABOTAGE:

Spoiler

The target is the reactor. Breach engineering and destroy it, thus destroying the ship. This would be a mixture of the old-style sabotage missions without the coolant/fuel injector stuff and the new one's.

CAPTURE:

Spoiler

A valuable scientist/officer is on board this vessel. Find them, and bring them to Lotus.

Because the specific target for the assassination and capture missions are interchangeable, the lotus might order you to switch whether you are killing or capturing a given target as you approach them.

ASSASSINATE:

Spoiler

The captain of this ship is well known for his cruelty. Find him, and kill him. Alternatively, Lotus might also tell you that the ship is home to the Fleet Admiral--this would only happen once per fleet instance, and he or his ship might have better drops than other missions. Unlike normal ship-based assassinations, the target will eventually escape if you don't get to him in time, though he does not actively run through the ship like a Capture Target.

MOBILE DEFENCE/SPY:

Spoiler

This would be a shorter version of the normal mobile defence/spy missions.

EVENTS:

Spoiler

These would happen randomly during a mission and could vary in severity.

BREAKOUT:

Spoiler

Lotus discovers that the ship was carrying samples of the Infested, and it escaped. So, the ship is full of the normal enemies fighting off Infested, and your job is to exterminate the Infested. It would be much like a regular Crossfire Exterminate, but it only matters how many Infested you kill.

Additional Objective:

Spoiler

If you attempt and fail an assassination or capture mission, they escape to another ship in the fleet. Once this happens, there is a chance that you will infiltrate that very ship, allowing Lotus to give you another chance to kill/capture that target in addition to whatever assignment she was going to give you. Lotus might also combine mission types on the same ship arbitrarily, much like she does in regular missions, though Sabotage would only combine with Spy and Capture--you're destroying the ship anyways, so why bother killing the Marines?

Hazards:

Spoiler

Various things that can be wrong with the ship. Completing the mission gives you bonus rewards.

Elemental Leak:

Spoiler

Various elemental hazards, much like in normal missions.

Artificial Gravity Malfunction:

Spoiler

Low gravity mission, much like the Nightmare challenge.

Core Compromise:

Spoiler

You have a specific time within which you must complete the mission, because the ship's core is going to explode.

Hull Breech:

Spoiler

Life Support no longer works, because the hull has been destroyed. You must maintain your life support level in the same way that you would in a Survival mission--killing enemies, or using Lotus's support pods--but unlike Survival missions, you start out with some random level of life support from 0-100%, and that life support level is a purely secondary concern. The only reward for keeping it above 0% is not taking damage, the only penalty is damage, and you can come back from 0% as much as you want to.

Ramming:

Spoiler

Once a Mobile Defense mission is completed, Lotus might order you to a waypoint on the bridge. There, you hack a console and take control of the ship, forcing it to ram into another. This opens up both hulls though which you board the new ship. Once on-board, you receive a new objective, but hull integrity of the new ship is compromised, so you will also be guaranteed to receive some kind of Hazard from above, with a preference for the worse ones. Rammed missions would also have some kind of extra reward.

Ramming (the other way):

Spoiler

Alternatively, a Grineer Captain had the brilliant idea to ram the ship you are on in an attempt to kill you. This could occur at any time if that ship has been alerted to your presence. Hull integrity is also compromised, and you still have to complete your original objective and you get extra enemy spawns because of the whole new ship that just rammed you. Then, you can choose to go directly into the other ship for a new mission, or to just leave both ships to their fate.

Abort:

Spoiler

In an attempt to kill you, the captain of the ship you are on has decided to initiate the self destruct sequence. Or, perhaps, the core suddenly started going critical. For whatever reason, Lotus drops the current mission and gives you Exit waypoints to which you have to book it, because the count-down timer is rather short. On Spy and Capture missions this only happens after the objective is complete (or maybe it just doesn't happen), forcing you to hurry out, and in the other mission types you are rewarded as though you fully completed the mission.

After a mission is over, Lotus gives you a a few way-points to places where you can exit the ship and re-enter Archwing. Note, however, that success in the mission is not required. If an assassination/capture target escapes, or a Mobile Defense console is destroyed, or a sabotaged ship blows up before you can get out, or whatever, you can still return to Archwing and continue with the Fleet node  (although in the case of a failed Sabotage you might be in need of a revival.)

FLEET BATTLES:

Spoiler

Finally, we have the periodic Fleet Battles. Essentially, the node contains Corpus and Grineer ships fighting each other, and you can board ships much like in normal modes. You can get both faction's fleet resources during a fleet battle. It does however introduce new/different events.

Faction War:

While fighting, enemies from the other faction might begin boarding the ship you are on. You will also spawn into a lot of Crossfire missions, and the Ramming events are much more common than they would normally be--however, they are also far more likely to be cross-faction rams.

Barrage:

Occasionally, the ship you are on is struck by enemy fire. Usually it just shakes the screen and makes a noise, but sometimes it deals damage to players and enemies in a certain tile, or introduces a Hazard (see above list) to the mission. Rarely, the damage is so sever that it forces you to Abort (see above).

I dunno, more chaos...

as always, ideas are welcome.

Edited by (XB1)c0d3manb
updated after tennocon 2018

This concept has been discussed to death and tons of threads of similar variety have been made, but ultimately they never come about. In fact the person you said came up with this probably got it from an old thread about player made formorians. Personally I think a concept like this is fun, but I arcwings should come first. So with that I would suggest giving them a lock on feature that makes the player turn to face whomever they are fighting while still allowing for on and off shifting to aid with camera difficulty.

On 12/23/2017 at 5:55 AM, (PS4)EmilsTekcor said:

This concept has been discussed to death and tons of threads of similar variety have been made, but ultimately they never come about. In fact the person you said came up with this probably got it from an old thread about player made formorians. Personally I think a concept like this is fun, but I arcwings should come first. So with that I would suggest giving them a lock on feature that makes the player turn to face whomever they are fighting while still allowing for on and off shifting to aid with camera difficulty.

No, I actually did come up with it myself. I hadn't really ever browsed the forum before then. I just liked the way Archwing was integrated into the original Archwing Quest, was disappointed that we never had anything else like that, and came up with a way to base an Open World around it.

I think a lock-on feature for ranged weapons would be a perfect way to fix parts of Archwing. Personally, I only ever use melee because it means I don't have to worry about aiming in three dimensions and the headaches induced thusly.

The 2D minimap and enemy-marking waypoints need some love, because as is it's really hard to find enemies. I would say that DE should increase the size of the waypoints so it's easier to aim off of them, brighten enemy designs up slightly, and introduce some kind of color or size variance in the minimap to show how the enemy compares to you in elevation. Maybe even an isometric minimap, if they could find a way to make it clean, clear, and small at the same time.

There's also a slight flaw in relative maneuverability. In Infantry combat, the Warframes have an advantage because we can maneuver better than enemies can aim--it's hard for a whole platoon ground-bound Grineer to shoot the lone squishy Ember flying through the air, but to her they're sitting ducks. In Archwing, our enemies can maneuver almost as well as we can, but they still outnumber us at similar levels to in Infantry combat (another reason Melee works better, because their guns can't hit what their eyes can't see). Basically, we need more maneuvering ability in Archwing. Longer, faster, and more varied aerial rolls, more fluidity, et cetera.

And lastly, integrate it better through things like Sharkwing, Skywing, and this proposed Fleetwing. Make it a fun addition to otherwise normal missions, not a bizarre side-child like Conclave.

Edited by Salasay

On 12/12/2017 at 6:14 PM, (Xbox One)c0d3manb said:

Exterminate: There is a large platoon of Grineer Marines stationed here, or some corpus equivalent. Lotus orders you to leave no one standing. Pretty self explanatory.

Sabotage: The target is the reactor. Breach engineering and destroy it, thus destroying the ship. This would be just like the old-style sabotage missions without the coolant/fuel injector stuff.

Capture: A valuable scientist/officer is on board this vessel. Find them, and bring them to Lotus.

Assassinate: The captain of this ship is well known for his cruelty. Find him, and kill him. Alternatively, Lotus might also tell you that the ship is home to the Fleet Admiral--this would only happen once per fleet instance, and he or his ship might have better drops than other missions. Unlike normal ship-based assassinations, the target will eventually escape if you don't get to him in time, though he does not actively run through the ship like a Capture Target.

Mobile Defense: Lotus needs you to give her control of the ship, and doing so involves a standard Mobile Defense mission--drop the datamass in, and defend it for a while.

Spy: I don't really have a good idea for this, but there's a way to do it.

You should copy the parts like this with Rich Text, like I had it, so they're easier to read. Otherwise it's a bit to much of a wall-of-text for people to read

On 12/24/2017 at 9:14 AM, Salasay said:

No, I actually did come up with it myself. I hadn't really ever browsed the forum before then. I just liked the way Archwing was integrated into the original Archwing Quest, was disappointed that we never had anything else like that, and came up with a way to base an Open World around it.

I think a lock-on feature for ranged weapons would be a perfect way to fix parts of Archwing. Personally, I only ever use melee because it means I don't have to worry about aiming in three dimensions and the headaches induced thusly.

The 2D minimap and enemy-marking waypoints need some love, because as is it's really hard to find enemies. I would say that DE should increase the size of the waypoints so it's easier to aim off of them, brighten enemy designs up slightly, and introduce some kind of color or size variance in the minimap to show how the enemy compares to you in elevation. Maybe even an isometric minimap, if they could find a way to make it clean, clear, and small at the same time.

There's also a slight flaw in relative maneuverability. In Infantry combat, the Warframes have an advantage because we can maneuver better than enemies can aim--it's hard for a whole platoon ground-bound Grineer to shoot the lone squishy Ember flying through the air, but to her they're sitting ducks. In Archwing, our enemies can maneuver almost as well as we can, but they still outnumber us at similar levels to in Infantry combat (another reason Melee works better, because their guns can't hit what their eyes can't see). Basically, we need more maneuvering ability in Archwing. Longer, faster, and more varied aerial rolls, more fluidity, et cetera.

And lastly, integrate it better through things like Sharkwing, Skywing, and this proposed Fleetwing. Make it a fun addition to otherwise normal missions, not a bizarre side-child like Conclave.

Oh no I meant when I said it has been thought of that most people that bring up things like this tend to have similar ideas I personally believe that it shows that the game could potentially head in this direction as so many people have reached the same conclusion.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:44 AM, Salasay said:

You should copy the parts like this with Rich Text, like I had it, so they're easier to read. Otherwise it's a bit to much of a wall-of-text for people to read

I dont understand what you mean...

This is my first forum post and i just typed it up (and copy/pasted 😉) on my phone as i thought of new things for about 2 or 3 days.

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

i like the ship building part. and trust me, we kinda need it. so it is recommended. how ever, archwing is not bad, just needs help. (i swear, i feel sick every time i try to do a barrel roll.) if it can feel more natural then looking us in a bubble or even feeling like a ship raid would be good too.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:45 PM, gaaraplayer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

i like the ship building part. and trust me, we kinda need it. so it is recommended. how ever, archwing is not bad, just needs help. (i swear, i feel sick every time i try to do a barrel roll.) if it can feel more natural then looking us in a bubble or even feeling like a ship raid would be good too.

Yea the changes to archwing would be to help with people getting sick and maybe buff some abilities, because right now i have a pair of wings that has super future nukes and yet it barely touches the enemies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2017-12-19 at 2:49 AM, KeLaRo said:

https://www.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Tenno-Cruiser-456900842

could be useful :3

warframe__tenno_cruiser_by_sbigham-d7k0y

note the orbiter on right side.

At first I thought that was one of those ships that they used in the animated Clone Wars series, where they have doors on the side that carry troops. Other than that, this seems to be a mobile base that could be used for clans. You'd have a docking bay for incoming crew members, And you could have players deploy their own ships as enemies attack the dojo. But this seems to be more in line with an actual open world game, like Elite Dangerous, and DE said they would not want to be just another open world game, but merge their various game modes. I would really want something like this to be in game, but I think they should expand the limit on how many players can be in a squad. I'm think 8 at least, maybe as many as 16, but that would make bounties to easy. Maybe let us join or connect with other Tenno when we call down our ship, and make separate instances of the planes for every four players that drop down on to the surface.