Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing with Nekros

tekmansam

Let me start by saying that I like Nekros.  As a frame, I think he is well put together, and interesting to play.  The point of feedback that I want to give here is from the perspective of playing with a Nekros in your party.  There are many quick give-a-ways to having a Nekros in your party.  From his iconic winged silhouette, to the peculiar abundance of health orbs, to the horde of undead shadows everywhere.  These cues range from harmless, to beneficial, to slightly annoying.  I'd like to focus my attention on the latter, and offer my particular perspective.

Shadows of the Dead

While this ability has many benefits for the player (especially with the augment,) its only arguable benefit to the party resides in its innate threat bonus, relative to the caster.  I'm not sure how this translates precisely, but does seem to provide a sort of soft cc via a sort of pet-tanking.

The downsides, as I see them, are three.

1. Obstruct the battlefield.  The addition, of up to seven additional actors, that remain entangled with every group of enemies encountered limits the view of the battlefield, which can lead to diminished ammo efficiency, as well as
  2. Target confusion.  Having summoned clones of defeated enemies, with an energy color overlaid, is insufficient enough to delineate "friend" from foe.  This may only result in a .5s delay in lining up a shot, but ultimately results in diminished reaction times, and may even, at times, make you
  3. Look like a fool.  Reduced ammo efficiency, and placing a drag on your reaction times is one thing, but let's not forget about those times you have lunged, or even swung at a shadow.  Not since the first time you encountered a Limbo have you ever felt so trolled.  And the sad part?  You'll do it again.  (Then again, I have been known to attack Atlas rumblers, Saryn molts, kavats, both factions of invasions, and even consoles:  so maybe I'm just a bloodthirsty, xenophobic psycho.)

Okay, so these are totally first-world problems--hardly registers on the scale.  I just wanted to offer up a perspective that others may have felt, but had never been bothered to bring to voice.  If anyone actually takes the time to read this bit of feedback, my critique is simple.  While the sight of a Nekros in your party should be seen as a blessing, I find him to be a bit of a double-edged sickle.  Is the extra loot worth it to me, with the added--albeit slight--annoyance?  Maybe.  Do I feel Nekros could do with a smaller cap of shadows, and/or better sight markers (ala Chaos) to differentiate them from actual enemies?  Yes.  Regardless, it felt like a minor QoL tweak that was worth a conversation, or at the very least, mentioning.

I know this is kinda a lame fix, but the Nekros deluxe skin summons ghost like figures. If they just made that change to all Nekros across the board I'd be happy. I understand you're frustrations though, cant tell you how many times I've blasted a Shadow summoned by Nekros. I did this a lot more when I first started the game, I'm a little wiser now to Nekros's ways. 

The "frame abilities in WF are too graphically busy" ship sailed long ago. As bad as Army of the Dead is on team aim, it's no worse than Nidus, Limbo, Gara, Hydroid, Nyx, Vauban, Zephyr, Titania, Inaros, Mag, Excalibur, Ash, Mirage, Atlas, Ember 3, and some others, but that gets the general idea. They have proven over and over that the "easy button press for the masses" playstyle is what they are after as opposed to skillful aiming and swinging at targets, and they care not a bit for the players' eye travel and eyestrain (looking at you pitch-dark; missions in Kuva Fortress and Grineer ships especially).

Army of the Dead... and all these other busy abilities should come with "opt out" toggles in settings that reduce the screen garbage to a dull roar. No brainer should have been done years ago.

Edited by Buttaface