Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery rank locks

blackflashcannon

It pads progression and helps keep new players from getting the "better" or is some cases "best" weapons within ten hours of downloading the game.

Also not everything needs to go from your foundry to the selling manifest within a single mission.

Have you played other video games? There is always content that is locked or gated from new players. 

Can you open any game and play the final mission? Get the best gear upon logging in? Get max level/stats from the start? 

Every game has a different amount of work required to reach the point where you can get/do everything. Sometimes its hours, sometimes its days, sometimes its years. While warframe is very grindy, it barely locks anything very far. The highest required MR for any piece of gear is 14 (with only 4 items beyond 12, and warframes stop at 8). There are also plenty of primes that are not MR locked at all. (You can even get around some MR locks by buying the items from the market, including prime access). 

While affinity farming is the fasted way to gain mastery it is not required. I'm MR20 and have only used affinity farm nodes to re-level after a forma. 

So the answer to your question is yes it is a restriction for new players, but you don't have to affinity farm unless you want everything now.

AFAIK there is no game that newbie can get awesome gears like Frost Prime, Soma Prime, and stuffs by just watching a video for a certain period of time with only not so awesome part is the stock stat due to lack of mod. This is another newbie haven I know other than Dreadnought (which is fairy forgiving in term of gameplay for newbie)

I currently go to Assur on Uranus for leveling and credit farming, staying there for 30 mins is very rewarding but be sure that you're well equipped.

11 hours ago, blackflashcannon said:

So why does it seem like after a certain point, mastery rank just seems like an outright restriction for new players to never get primes unless they live in akkad or other affinity farm nodes?

..probably because you're viewing it wrong?

MR rank is meant to be warfare's means of progression. every game has one, usually in the form of levels/ranks. new players are supposed to play over time to get the better gear later on, not spend 5 mins on Akkad and suddenly beat the game. this applies to any game, but Warframe is a F2P with a grind, so it applies even more here. the formula is simple, gate desirable content behind progression and time-walls to drag out the experience for longer, and increase the odds they'll run into a situation where they feel they need Plat. yes you can always go to Akkad, Hydron or any other levelling spot, but then you'll reach MR24 in a month (quicker if you rush/buy all your gear) and then have nothing left to do. or you'll become one of those "all the gear and no idea" players, and nobody likes them.

you're a Founder, how can you not understand how Warframe works?

I started shortly before POE was released, and had no problems going from zero to hero without a dime spent on power. I never felt held back by anything game restricted -- and in fact more often ran into the feeling that the game gave me too many tools to win too quickly.

Edited by Frosthaven83