Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2+ minutes to open Warframe in Steam?

Slammedx

Hi everyone,

I've been having this issue ever since I've been using steam as the launcher for warframe. Initially, I had downloaded warframe directly from DE. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled through steam. The video below shows the process of opening Warframe. 2+ minutes before I get to the login screen. When I was NOT launching it through steam, I would be at the login screen in 30 seconds or less. I have tried everything I can think of to fix the issue. I have verified and optimized the download cache, uninstalled and reinstalled, and allowed warframe processes in firewall settings. I'm lost. 

Can anyone shed some light on this? 

EDIT: System specs:

5820K @ 4.3ghz

1080ti

warframe and steam are installed on a samsung 850 evo SSD RAID 0 array

windows is installled on a samsung 950 m.2 ssd

32gb ram

Edited by Slammedx

39 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

Weird. Have you optimized the download cache? (Click the gear icon in the top right.)

Yes, I have. 

37 minutes ago, Souldend78 said:

Have you updated Windows. I learned that Windows Updates loves to hog my bandwidth, even if update has already been downloaded and is just waiting for install. 

And yes, a new update just got released a day or 2 ago. 

30 minutes ago, Myscho said:

Thats extreme long "Checking for update" even for SSD, on my regular 7200 rpm HDD it take maybe 10-15 seconds

Do you have properly set SSD functions under Windows, like TRIM etc... ?

My PC is up to date, and it wasn't actually updating Warframe. It seems to be an issue with Steam and Warframe. I don't have issues opening other steam games. And I didn't have issues prior to using steam as the launch for Warframe. It seems like it's hanging. Maybe I should delete all of the firewall entries for warframe and reauthorize now that I'm launching with steam?

and the giant kicker... unless you "have" to have steam achievements...  or want to buy tennogen

you dont need steam at all...   there is no "steam version" of the game...  steam launches the exact same file you used to....

all steam is, something to take up system resources and the potential to cause problems.

on that note... sadly i do have steam on my pc. the only reason being so i can look at all the tennogen, most of which i'll never see on console

other then that, i never bother with it.  when i do play on pc i launch the game  like i normally would, as if steam were never a thing or on my pc

So there is you answer on how to fix the problem that started from when you started using steam...

also you could of just told steam to d/l & install warframe right over your current instillation, the game would not of cared either way. all it would of done is let steam, which is to dumb to scan for games that it "could launch" for you, so it could find it.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:18 PM, (PS4)Whattamattu said:

and the giant kicker... unless you "have" to have steam achievements...  or want to buy tennogen

you dont need steam at all...   there is no "steam version" of the game...  steam launches the exact same file you used to....

all steam is, something to take up system resources and the potential to cause problems.

on that note... sadly i do have steam on my pc. the only reason being so i can look at all the tennogen, most of which i'll never see on console

other then that, i never bother with it.  when i do play on pc i launch the game  like i normally would, as if steam were never a thing or on my pc

So there is you answer on how to fix the problem that started from when you started using steam...

also you could of just told steam to d/l & install warframe right over your current instillation, the game would not of cared either way. all it would of done is let steam, which is to dumb to scan for games that it "could launch" for you, so it could find it.

So, I decided to uninstall the game via steam and re-install directly from DE's website. Now I have the same issue even without launching through steam... Awesome. Lol. So any ideas? I honestly have no idea what to try next. 

Edited by Slammedx

32 minutes ago, Slammedx said:

So, I decided to uninstall the game via steam and re-install directly from DE's website. Now I have the same issue even without launching through steam... Awesome. Lol. So any ideas? I honestly have no idea what to try next. 

well for one.. you didn't need to go that route.. the  ONLY  thing installing via steam does is let steam know where the game is (because steam is stupid like that) and access to tennogen on pc...  as all the files are the exact same... there are no different game files between steam and pc, like i said steam is stupid  in that it if it didn't install it, it pretends it is not on your computer.

no for the issue of taking forever... now that steam is out of the way...  is it stuck on the "looking for updates" loading bar before it even gets to to where you can enter name/pw... if so could be several things...   slow connection between you and them(or anywhere in between),  heavy traffic on DE servers, seems like those already in game get the priority of those trying to launch the game & the the shear number of new accounts/players playing taxing DE's servers. so checking for updates and if needed getting the updates might take a few (and this happens even on consoles)    

when i go to play my PC acct (which is orphaned and very out of date most of the time), if i haven't played on it in a while once i see the first splash screen, i go make a coffee and when i get back, i just need to hit play, most of the time and then the wait begins again from hitting play to entering name/pw which is normally less then 1m (why it even take that long to get to that point is beyond me after hitting play)

most has nothing to do with your setup.. most  having to do with everything between your house and DE's servers and their servers themselves... in other words.. aint much to be done, other then hope DE starts begging the chinese overlords they sold out to, to loosen the purse strings a little so they can get up to date hardware and more hamsters running in wheels for more power...

On 12/13/2017 at 6:23 PM, Souldend78 said:

Have you updated Windows. I learned that Windows Updates loves to hog my bandwidth, even if update has already been downloaded and is just waiting for install. 

And yes, a new update just got released a day or 2 ago. 

For Windows 10 users, i recommend you disable the Windows Update service completely. Then, once per week or month, run it and install updates. Then reboot, and disable the service again.

This is the ONLY way to control when updates are downloaded, because Microsoft are bunch of also-ran anti consumer morons these days.