The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns And Armor Piercing

TeddyBear

Armor piercing is elemental damage.  It is added on top of your base damage.  Enemies have weaknesses and resistances to it.  Modding for armor piercing does not make your gun ignore armor.

i know that i thought as the name suggest armor piercing if it pierces all 100% it makes it virtually armor ignore lol

Armor piercing is elemental damage.  It is added on top of your base damage.  Enemies have weaknesses and resistances to it.  Modding for armor piercing does not make your gun ignore armor.

Armor piercing is basically armor ignore on any heavy unit.. and light units? Like they have much health, anyways.

i know that i thought as the name suggest armor piercing if it pierces all 100% it makes it virtually armor ignore lol

You're not getting it.  Armor piercing is additional damage.  It doesn't make your gun 'pierce all 100%'.  Light infested take 50% less from armor piercing elemental damage, Grineer take bonus damage from it, etc.  It's like fire or electric damage.

If your shotty is doing 140 base damage and you add the two shotgun AP mods to it, your shotty is now doing 140 bullet (or if ya wanna get technical, impact) damage and an additional 210 AP damage.  It does not in any way affect your base damage that the gun deals.

AP and armor ignore are not the same and the sooner the community gets that fact down pat the sooner our wiki will stop being such a mess.  Sahrry.

Edited by Wriith

there  are better threads with detailed explanation for AI vs AP.

But this is the summary afaik

- Armor Ignore affects BASE, NON-ELEMENTAL damage. It prevents the enemy armor from reducing the base damage so this part of the damage of the weapon will always be the same regardless of enemy level/armor.

- Armor Piercing is a form of ELEMENTAL damage. Its effectiveness is dependent on enemy RESISTANCE (type x bodypart). The actual effectiveness can be high or low depending on the actual resistance.

Edit: just to add: both parts of damage are independent and can exist on the same weapon (e.g. Armor Ignore weapon with a AP mod)

Edited by smithf

- Armor Ignore affects BASE, NON-ELEMENTAL damage. It prevents the enemy armor from reducing the base damage so this part of the damage of the weapon will always be the same regardless of enemy level/armor.

- Armor Piercing is a form of ELEMENTAL damage. Its effectiveness is dependent on enemy RESISTANCE (type x bodypart). The actual effectiveness can be high or low depending on the actual resistance.

I know all of that i just wanted to make sure thanks for the info

Edit: just to add: both parts of damage are independent and can exist on the same weapon (e.g. Armor Ignore weapon with a AP mod)

Yup, pretty much.

So... what if you add an Armour Piercing mod onto a gun that has Armour Ignore? Will you still get the bonus damage, or will it bug out?

It will get added damage, just as if you'd added a fire or ice mod.

Edited by Wriith

Thing is though, mechanically there is no "armour ignore" damage or modifier, just a series of damage types, armour piercing, physics impact, serrated blade and poison, that are capable of ignoring armour values. It just happens that armour piercing is the only one that can be added to other weapons via mods, that doesn't make it more or less "elemental" than the others. Of course it's also got the base modifier against medium/heavy grineer, and corpus heads, to do extra damage, and against light infested, to do less. But serrated blade also has a base modifier for light infested to do triple damage, so it's not unique in that regard.

This is quite an eye-opener. I'm sitting on a Armour Penetration mod for melee weapons which I previously thought useless because all melee weapons I use already has Armour Ignore. It is 30% A.P for 4 slots. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I add that to my melee weapon it would basically add 30% more damage in the form of an extra "element"?

Why didn't I know this before?! :S

This is quite an eye-opener. I'm sitting on a Armour Penetration mod for melee weapons which I previously thought useless because all melee weapons I use already has Armour Ignore. It is 30% A.P for 4 slots. Correct me if I am wrong, but if I add that to my melee weapon it would basically add 30% more damage in the form of an extra "element"?

The only melee that has armor ignore is fragor and bo i believe . And yes adding ap to melee increases damage.

*Puts AP on EVERYTHING*

I feel so stupid now....

The only melee that has armor ignore is fragor and bo i believe . And yes adding ap to melee increases damage.

My Glaive tends to one-shot Grineer wherever I throw it so I would assume it has built in Armour Ignore, at least with Charge attack.

Edited by Brimir

*Puts AP on EVERYTHING*

I feel so stupid now....

My Glaive tends to one-shot Grineer wherever I throw it so I would assume it has built in Armour Ignore, at least with Charge attack.

yeah i think all charge attack are armor ignore correct me if i am wrong.

I've seen so many people in your situation, Brimir, and the easiest solution would be to have a tutorial in game regarding damage types and how they function.

There are three types of melee weaponry: Blade, Serrated Blade, and Blunt. Blade does 3x to light infested. Serrated Blade does armor ignore and 3x to light infested, Blunt does armor ignore.

There are others.  Dual ethers, furax, ankyros, etc are some others that ignore armor on their basic attacks.  Dual ethers deal serrated blade damage so they do triple to light infested as well as ignore armor.  Furax and ankyros, much like the bo deal physics impact damage, meaning they ignore armor.

yeah i think all charge attack are armor ignore correct me if i am wrong.

Not all charge attacks ignore armor, but the vast majority do.  The kestrel for example, does not.

There are three types of melee weaponry: Blade, Serrated Blade, and Blunt. Blade does 3x to light infested. Serrated Blade does armor ignore and 3x to light infested, Blunt does armor ignore.

Serrated does armor ignore or piercing? And does all blint ignores armor? Cos i think scindo, gram etc doesnt.

Serrated does Ignore; it won't do bonus damage to Grineer. Blunt types are your Fist weaponry, your hammers and such. Scindo and Gram are considered Heavy, but not Blunt, because they have blades.

Heavy is another interesting topic, as almost all Heavy weaponry(Save for Orthos/Prime) have another passive, called Momentum, which keeps you from being stunned while doing chained normal attacks.

Serrated does Ignore; it won't do bonus damage to Grineer. Blunt types are your Fist weaponry, your hammers and such. Scindo and Gram are considered Heavy, but not Blunt, because they have blades.Heavy is another interesting topic, as almost all Heavy weaponry(Save for Orthos/Prime) have another passive, called Momentum, which keeps you from being stunned while doing chained normal attacks.

learning alot today lol