The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seriously how do you main a Warframe?

ugoooo

4 hours ago, ugoooo said:

Because you are implying that you know the frame well, better than another Warframe.

This is easy to do in most things and not just in Warframe.

4 hours ago, ugoooo said:

While this might seem to be true, it also means that you don't know how to play well enough with others. This is at basic, lack of knowledge rather than mastering one. 

This is where your logic fails. It doesn't mean that you don't know how to play well with the others.  I "Main" Ivara (as my previous posted profile pic shows).  I know her and her quirks very well.  That doesn't mean one bit that I don't know how to beast with Mag, Titania, and Frost.  Totally mastering one thing doesn't mean that you are lacking in knowledge about something else.  If you can't do it, doesn't mean that others have that same issue. 

For example, you know how to drive your car very well and are use to all of it's quirks.  That doesn't mean that you don't know how to or can't handle driving another car. 

17 hours ago, ugoooo said:

Having some favourites that you enjoy is normal, but you can't bring the same knife to every gun fight.

Saryn works with everything so yep. Use her 95% of the time :p
4% being ivara spies, and 1% being "eh lets shake it up for the luls"

Edited by Vesiga

I came back to double dip on a comment that may have slightly annoyed me in the back of my head for the last couple of hours.

5 hours ago, ugoooo said:

Do you wanna know why "maining" sounds silly?

Because you are implying that you know the frame well, better than another Warframe. While this might seem to be true, it also means that you don't know how to play well enough with others. This is at basic, lack of knowledge rather than mastering one. 

I can't say that I can play every Warframe at their full capacity, even though it is the one that I play the most. So if I say I main the one that I know the most, it means I don't know how to play with others rather than mastering that frame.

This is true in your own personal context. Sure, 2-3% usage sounds reaaaaaaaly bad for you, but for me and a lot of the rest?

Well I have over 1300 mission only hours based on the in game counter. 2-3% of 1300 hour is still 20-30 hours of playing a specific frame (while excluding that for some frames I have spend a lot more time on non prime variants) so....

Yes I have 37% on my main. My next one is only 9.2 (Normal Volt) followed by  8.4 (Nova Prime) and 8.2 (Rhino Prime). Do you really want to make a case that I have not "mastered" frames on which I have 5-9% game time?

PS: This excludes kill counters and such. 

Edited by phoenix1992

5 hours ago, ugoooo said:

Because you are implying that you know the frame well, better than another Warframe. While this might seem to be true, it also means that you don't know how to play well enough with others. This is at basic, lack of knowledge rather than mastering one. 

I can't say that I can play every Warframe at their full capacity, even though it is the one that I play the most. So if I say I main the one that I know the most, it means I don't know how to play with others rather than mastering that frame.

Except that isn't what a main is at all.  It has nothing to do with knowledge or skill.  A newbie can have a main.  A casual can have a main.  A hardcore can be the best ever Loki you've seen... and run Mag as his main, because he likes Mag.  A main is simply the one you focus on the most.  It's the one you try to get mods for before the others.  It's the one you play more than the others.  It is... your main focus.  It doesn't imply anything beyond that.

Play it a lot.

The terminology doesn't really fit this game well, since roles in the game are somewhat amorphous.

There isn't a serious tank build as a WoW player would recognize it. There are some 'frames that can maintain agro (sorta), but nothing like the necessity it is in a game like EQ or WoW where if you don't have one (or two), you simply are incapable of doing whatever raid you're intent on.

There isn't a serious healer build in WF, either. You do have Trinity, and she can certainly heal, but her real utility in WF is providing energy for narrow DPS builds for other warframes. She doesn't spam heals to keep a tank on his feet to hold agro so your DPS doesn't die and you fail the raid. That doesn't happen in WF.

All warframes do damage, but some have organic damage output (Ember, Mesa) while others are largely reliant on their weapons (Trinity, Nyx). Again, you don't have DPS classes like WoW or EQ. My damage output is mostly dependent on weapon selection and modding and all warframes carry weapons. They all do damage and lots of it. This is more akin to Diablo and similar games than MMORPGs like WoW or EQ.

So "maining" a warframe isn't like the fact I played an enhancement shaman (dps/utility) for much of my WoW career. In WoW, that is what I was--where my emphasis was on gearing up and perfecting tradeskills. In WF, I just like certain 'frames and play them a lot. Lately, I find myself playing NyxP almost exclusively, but mostly its because a) I like her, b) she's good at farming, and c) she's really good at farming relics with little regard to mission or enemy type; she has no weaknesses and many strengths. I've chosen her to farm this PA to a large degree, so she's seeing a lot of use--not because she's where my emphasis is on progression.

hmm i dunno if this helps but i think its a transition as you play

i started as volt , then ember, then excal, then trinity

i pretty much used trinity all the time [then her nerf hit...] 

and now i kinda generically play most frames [just not bulky tanks, not my style..] 

i started maining gara , but honestly i still switch frames at random intervals 

19 hours ago, phoenix1992 said:

You forma a frame 6-7 times, you swap around mods around different scenarios and ignore being a DPS hog, result is - yeah you totally main a frame.

then i main zephyr, except when i need to kill a teralyst, cuz i need a chroma for that

zephyr is incredible versatile, it has cc, high health/shields so its tanky, plus the wind shield that negates projectiles (and can also protect objectives) and high mobility, the only thing it lacks is damage, but that can be easily compensated by weapons

so yes, i can say i main zephyr cuz i use her for almost any situation without changing too much mods

i could use her for spy missions too but i like ivara more for that. and chorma to kill teralyst

Edited by Toppien

Sorry to burst your bubble but I main Valkyr and use her for everything lol, even when she doesn't really fit the scenario but I don't care. There are always like minded players who only main Frost and stuff so you often end up in teams like that anyway,

7 hours ago, ugoooo said:

Nope.  Read the response again.

How does one main a warframe?

Well... When a tenno really really likes a warframe, he or she will play with that warframe for a long time.

This tenno knows the in's and the out's of this warframe, to the point where you can use this warframe for literally every content and beyond~.

Say me~ I'm a Nekros main and I can do nearly everything without much stress on the team and on myself.

This doesn't mean I'm strictly using Nekros for everything... like say that Ambulas boss sortie, yeah... Realistically there's no way a Nekros can stand up to that, so I use a Valkyr~ EzPz done in 4 minutes.
Then back to Nekros for my general play.

So if you main a warframe, chances are you probably know what you're doing. or just some egotistic person

In the end, it's only game~ play how you want to play~ 

20 hours ago, ugoooo said:

As a this main,....

Sounds problematic in a game like this, isn't it?

Having some favourites that you enjoy is normal, but you can't bring the same knife to every gun fight.

Not really.  While some powers may give you an edge in different scenarios, you don't ever need to use (or not use) a specific frame.  You can play the whole game with your starting frame if you want; you'll just probably have to compensate for not using a "better-suited frame" with skill.  And that's entirely possible.

I feel like a lot of people here don't understand what an RPGMMO main is. It's when a game rewards you for playing one character/class to the exclusion of others.

Warframe does not do this, in fact it punishes it. The game types and level caps prevent this from being a thing. 

Like I mostly use Nova and she is literally in my profile my most used frame. This is not the same as a main in say GW2/WoW/SWTOR

Edited by Sapphic-Sandra

I specialize in playing Excal. I can bring him 4 hours into a survival on Mot and still be executing thots.

When I think of maining a frame, I think of having one or two frames which you are REALLY good at playing, whose mechanics you know like the back of your balls.

Sure, I can play other frames, but I guarantee you I'll never be as good with them as I am with my Excalibur.

Edited by Valor

11 minutes ago, ugoooo said:

I am asking my final question.

If "X" warframe is your "main" then, what are your "alt"s?

I mean if you happen to be a "Mesa Main", is it means that your Rhino is your alt warframe?

Fair enough.  I'll answer this honestly.  I don't really have an alt frame.  Ivara is the frame that I use for everything.  I do have a few frames that I like to play from time to time just to change things up a bit.  Those frames are: Mag Prime, Titania, with a little bit of Saryn P and Nyx P. 

39 minutes ago, ugoooo said:

I mean if you happen to be a "Mesa Main", is it means that your Rhino is your alt warframe?

All of my frames outside of my "main" are my alts.

Beside Limbo, Clem that guy.

Edited by phoenix1992

1 hour ago, ugoooo said:

ill say my alts are for more especific purposes, for example when i want certain drop from enemies i go nekros, or if i want to do spy missions easy i go ivara, some frames are really good for 1 especific thing, that be an especific game mode where you want to go meta