The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Seriously how do you main a Warframe?

ugoooo

22 hours ago, ugoooo said:

As a this main,....

As a that main,...

Sounds problematic in a game like this, isn't it?

Having some favourites that you enjoy is normal, but you can't bring the same knife to every gun fight.

I main flexibility, prefer some Warframes to some missions and gladly choose whatever team requires or needs. 

If I feel like cosplaying ninjas, I go solo and pick whatever I like. If I want to do something with people, I will choose the most helping.

Cheers,

In my opinion all warframes should be viable  for all content but in different ways. This naturally means some will be better, but it doesn't have to mean some will be useless and worthless. Personally I have 55% of my time played as Saryn Prime and I'm fine with it, because I enjoy her and I have fun with her mechanics. Imo thats the most important thing, your players ability to have fun.

1 hour ago, ugoooo said:

I am asking my final question.

If "X" warframe is your "main" then, what are your "alt"s?

I mean if you happen to be a "Mesa Main", is it means that your Rhino is your alt warframe?

Second tier favorites. Frames I find less interesting and more specialized but still fun. They don't get as much time and TLC as "mains" but they are the ones that get used when a mission doesn't fit a main and I decide to go with a frame that does instead for whatever reason. They'll be used a lot more than frames I straight out don't like and never use after MR ranking. 

I would say lately I've been "maining" Inaros, because I've been using him everywhere, bounties, sorties, and I never have to change loadouts or mods regardless of mission type or conditions, "alting" Oberon Prime because I use him against Teralysts specifically and no other frame has worked as smoothly for that task for me, I've modded him specifically for that task, and I like him, but not as much as Inaros, and I don't know how this build works elsewhere, or would have to make a less specific build. I've also been playing Mirage Prime to rank up for MR. Never really played her standard variant all that much, and I don't trust myself with her in bounties, sorties, stuff that matters. Clearly different tiers of usage between these 3. Going to try some forma on Mirage Prime and see what happens though. 

Main and Alt aren't perfect because they don't have locked out separate progression (meaning separate quest progression, bound to character weapons, bound to character mods) that incentivise sticking to one permanently, but Warframe doesn't have that, and they work in terms of describing differences in familiarity and usage. You are probably more familiar with a true main and have all the best gear for them and spend more time with them have more fun with them and perform better with them. All of these aspects can apply to Warframes. 

1 minute ago, Toppien said:

I decided I don't want to quote this actually but I can't delete the quote from mobile. Non-wysiwyg editor when? 

6 hours ago, ugoooo said:

I mean if you happen to be a "Mesa Main", is it means that your Rhino is your alt warframe?

When i'm bored of Valkyr, I would play a random frame instead. I don't have a specific Alternative for her. I would use Ivara or Octavia if i'm having trouble with being Stealthy or Nidus and Titania in a Primary Specific Sortie. The wierd thing about me is I play a Run and Gun type of playstyle with my Hysteria. I would gun down enemies and if I want to heal, I use Hysteria and gain all of my health back. If i want to go Melee, I would switch to my melee and use War Cry. For Eternal War, and Prolonged Paralysis, I go full Melee (Jat Kusar is really good for Prolonged Paralysis btw). I use her other powers the most with the Paralysis build. Also, with my Hysteria build, Not even 10 lvl 115 Conculyst or 15 lvl 115 Ambulas (bbefore being killed and hacked all at once) could defeat her.That's why I play Valkyr because of how easy you can make her fit your playstyle. Octavia can be Easy mode for most missions Solo but she requires a all round build.

Edited by Shaw1996

As someone who mains Oberon... I use him because he is well equipped for a variety of situations. I can make large swaths of ground utterly impassable in defenses, I can demolish armor for higher levels, and give my allies armor and constant healing for when I'm playing with people who are less than skilled. If there's a mission I'm going to, Oberon is adequate most of the time. Not great, not ideal, but good. If I know what I'm going into, and I know who I'm playing with, I'll gleefully switch to someone who is better tailored to what I'm doing. But having someone who can fill nearly any role is way too much of an advantage.

On 20.12.2017 at 8:34 AM, ugoooo said:

Having some favourites that you enjoy is normal, but you can't bring the same knife to every gun fight.

Yes, you can.

There's literally nothing that Oberon couldn't do.

Unless it's triple-digit waves into defence, where there is high probability of 1HKO of cryopod by a stray bullet. For that you absolutely need Frost. But who plays that much defence anyway?

So yeah, there's absolutely no reason to change a frame for anything, unless I got bored.

you main a frame because it's one that fits your playstyle best. Mine is Rhino Prime as I enjoy being durable and charging into combat, but also controlling an area. as a result you may start using it more often than the rest. I've used all of my Warframes many times, but when I've nothing else to do, or it's a cinematic quest and I want to show off my personality via Fashionframe, I'll take my main; my Rhino prime.

it's just another way of saying you have a favourite frame.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

you main a frame because it's one that fits your playstyle best. Mine is Rhino Prime as I enjoy being durable and charging into combat, but also controlling an area. as a result you may start using it more often than the rest. I've used all of my Warframes many times, but when I've nothing else to do, or it's a cinematic quest and I want to show off my personality via Fashionframe, I'll take my main; my Rhino prime.

it's just another way of saying you have a favourite frame.

I used to Rhino all the time.  Then I finished my Valkyr Prime.  Invincibility is the best durability.  ^_^

Cue me not reading and just saying:
By having 50% usage on Frost Prime alone. I'm MR19 with almost every Warframe and most that have a Prime as their Prime version... And my usage is HEAVILY on Frost Prime. I just love playing as him. Therefore... Main. Had him since he came out and never looked back.

I do LOVE Nidus, Atlas, and Harrow, though... Saryn too.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:34 AM, ugoooo said:

How is it problematic to have a frame that you prefer to play over everything else, certainly there are some frames that have specific skill set that is not suited to everything but quite a few others are capable of being the veritable Swiss army knife in their own way.

I was once main Mesa but now I main Titania thx to Gundam mode (her 4) I can play any mode without real problem except the gun that I gonna put mods into which I still can't decide between a rifle with overall superior mod but underperform outside gundam mode or a shotgun with overall inferior mod but outperform rifle outside gundam mode.

BTW, I still prefer Nova or Octavia for survival mode, and Ember for low level resources farming (Argon Crystal, to be specific)

Edited by R3b3ll10n90s

I can put the term main in a definition, but it may take a few lines. I am personally a rhino main. What does this mean? It means Rhino is my favorite frame and I've journeyed to master that particular warframe. Anything you want to know about Rhino, I can probably give you. I try to succeed with Rhino in situations he's not typically designed for. Spy missions with a Rhino? Sure, it may take some practice, but I'm sure I can think of some uses he can have in a spy mission, like his ability to ignore laser knockdowns, rhino charge flying, and stomp to prevent enemies from activating consoles. Is he designed for spy missions? No. Is he the best for spy missions? No. Am I even going to use all these tactics in a spy mission? Maybe not. But because I love the frame so much, I will try to squeeze every bit of use out of him in every situation. Tanking? Ironclad Skin Build. DPS? Roar+Ironclad Shrapnel build. Support? Roar build. Healing?.......Sancti Magistar and health pads I guess. CC? Stomp+Charge Build. Racing? Charge Build. Stealth? Charge Build and flyyyy.

Not all of these tactics are the best for the situation, but the idea is to get Rhino to do it, not just to do it. I love Rhino's kit and my goal is to use him for any situation. Now I am going to be a little hypocritical and say that I do this for just about any frame because my ultimate goal is mastering the game itself, but if you were to ask me which frame I liked the most, I would say Rhino, and then everyone else under him, because I love every frame and every frame has a special use that they do best, but when it comes to looks, feel, playstyle, and variety, Rhino is hands down my favorite. I've never felt as powerful as I do with Rhino. Now am I saying rhino is the best and everyone should be a rhino? No. Please we went though that phase in early 2015. But because I love rhino so much, I've strived to perfect him. I put 6 formas in him, even though I only needed 4 because I love experimenting and I will continue to do so until there's nothing left to do with him.

That's what maining a warframe means.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:25 AM, DatDarkOne said:

YOV2qsG.jpg

You know Dark, after seeing that and knowing how much you like Ivara, do you have any consideration of changing your IGN to Ivara Prime when she is released? Just for luls.

On topic, I don't really have any problem with people 'maining' anyone. People have the freedom to choose and use what they want. In fact, if they can make unorthodox setup work in unusual missions (for example, Valkyr for Interception), I'll be impressed.

Warframe has allowed for a quite diverse build. People only want to use Mag for clearing the entire Star Chart? It's posible, so I don't see why not. It's their right.

Sure it may seems like they limit themselves. But if they enjoy it and can make it work, I don't see any reason to go against them.

12 hours ago, ugoooo said:

I don't have any 'main', so no 'alt' either?

Edited by Gamma745
Didn't read OP that clearly

On December 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM, ugoooo said:

As a this main,....

As a that main,...

I main flexibility, prefer some Warframes to some missions and gladly choose whatever team requires or needs. 

If I feel like cosplaying ninjas, I go solo and pick whatever I like. If I want to do something with people, I will choose the most helping.

Cheers,

Your main is what you choose when you imagine a scenario where you could only play one frame ever again...

Did you just assume my playstyle?

I'm kind of torn on the topic tbh.

I love Rhino.  When I play with him I hear Mickey Rourke from Sin City in my head, "That's right get personal get close, I can take it".   He such a tank, and I gravitate to tanks.  The Prime version leads all frames for playtime for me, though not by a ton.

But when push comes to shove?  Stage III sorties?  Nova Prime.  Or Ember Prime.  Plague Star?  Ember Prime.  Any Syndicate mission that isn't a spy mission?  Ember Prime.  Defense missions?  Frost Prime.  Infested missions?  Ember Prime or Nidus.  ODD?  Gara (PS4 hasn't been nerfed yet).

want to main Rhino, but he's not my main.  He's my favorite.  I probably run Loki Prime more than I do Rhino Prime.      

Based on the answers in this thread I think the answer to the OPs question is this;

There are few real mains out there.  The Ivara pic in this thread...that's a person that mains.  I don't think the majority of us actually main anything.  As MagPrime was saying and most were agreeing; we have favorites, not mains.

Can I run Spy missions with Rhino?  Sure.  But why would I when I have a Loki Prime with 306% duration?  

In the past I've stated that I main'd two or even three frames at a time, but that isn't really maining is it?  I use those three a lot, would be the truer statement.  

This is all probably a bit more semantic than it needs to be, and there's a huge opportunity for gender warframe identity jokes, but I just can't be bothered at the moment.  

Bottomline?  There are likely few true "Mainers" out there.  The rest of us mix it up far too much to state we main anything.  And since we have a pic with proof, maybe a player should have at least 80% on one frame to be considered a "Mainer".  Stick that in yer meta pipe.  

3 hours ago, Gamma745 said:

You know Dark, after seeing that and knowing how much you like Ivara, do you have any consideration of changing your IGN to Ivara Prime when she is released? Just for luls.

I've thought about it.  It's just that my internet name has been DatDarkOne for so long that to change it now would feel weird.  :D

p.s. I did do something similar with my alt though.  LOL

Just now, DatDarkOne said:

I've thought about it.  It's just that my internet name has been DatDarkOne for so long that to change it now would feel weird.  :D

p.s. I did do something similar with my alt though.  LOL

Petition to renames @DatDarkOne to RoguePrime, DatRogueOne, IvaraAndChill or anything alike.

PS: All prime names are hold by arses even since a frame name is announced.

15 hours ago, ugoooo said:

I main Ember, and Alt Ivara, Saryn, and Mesa, tho I'm trying to get a lot more from my Mirage Prime now, probably gonna jump her to 2nd Alt.

The thread did a find job I guess, I tried to you to question some topics and you have shown new perspectives.

Some took this as an opportunity to show their love to their beloved warframes, which is clear why this game is loved this much. It connects people to their characters which can be a tool to share the love to other people who also love their characters.

In the end we are the people who shares the love makes this game's nice community.

Thanks for all who attended or read this thread.

That statement just to show how much they play that frame.

how much they love it

how much things they go through with that frame although not suited in some missions.

They just want their opinion to be heard.

So just read and think about it.

it causes no harm and some is beneficial. If you dont like it, you can just skip reading the whole thing.

Is good to read feedback and other people experience ( less the troll and useless comments )

A lesson already learned in another team based shooter. And that one requires even more precise roles!

Here we have customizations via mods, weapons, sentinel, operator, gear (archwing for plains yes I brought unmaxed frames in plague star and sniped in archwing so they won’t die) 

In that game an experienced main be can just as effective as a lackluster healer, tank dps, etc I’ve seen OW teams win through sheer power of a trained and focused dps 

Operator can fill in the gaps of stealth, invulnerability, phasing, invisibility anyway so it’s very forgiving in WF 

Elemental mods, Prime gear, the Tigris and Galatine can fill in for a frame not suited for a faction or mission

Today I finished my sorties with the meta method and the main method. Sure Limbo was smooth sailing but I never would have strengthened my starter had I not navigated it through rough waters. And I suspect my squad had energy pizza because no Trini yet they kept filling my energy

There’s more than one way to climb a mountain, trite but true. An Ember on the forums today said she nukes spy missions. Strategy sharing and research keeps mains strong too that’s how my Mag and weapons got buffed when others say she won’t scale 

Edited by (PS4)Chel-El

I can't really say I have a main since there are about 5 of them that I play depending on the playstyle route I want to take. When I prefer a particular playstyle I will stick with that for a while until I choose a different playstyle.So technically I main 5 characters but it depends on what I prefer at the time being.