Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fanning aside, Gunsen and Slicing Feathers are amazing. Thanks DE.

Cryssoberyl

Initial thoughts on this weapon together with the Slicing Feathers stance: incredibly good. Crazy amounts of multihit and CC, and this is leaving out any multipliers and forced slash procs. (Honestly, Gunsen slash procs so much on its own that it's hard to tell when the stance might be adding them.) The range is short, but once its ramped up with Berserker nothing can withstand the assault.

• Razor Fin has a cartwheel that multihits and can headshot, and also forces a knockdown. You get the full combo even in quick melee.
  • Cutting Fringe is crowd control, wide cleaves with an AoE knockdown finisher. Of course, Gunsen's range is short, so it doesn't hit a huge area. Probably the second least useful combo.
  • Scathing Plume is the best, really. Single target annihilator. Huge number of hits, the flip attack hits four or five times. Rapidly stacks the bleeds, and again a knockdown at the end.
  • Serrated Crest is fun, but probably the least useful and most tricky to pull off. It has a kick at the end that launches.

Yes, the self-fanning animations are silly and make the stance slightly more clunky than it needs to be. I think they could safely be toned down or jettisoned, but with or without them, Slicing Feathers has power and utility to spare, and Gunsen tears level 150s to pieces in seconds with it.

Thanks DE. You made a great new weapon type and stance for us that's both fun and good.

Really... I've got the complete opposite opinion of them because of the stance basically stopping a lot, if not all, of the forward motion even if you're running...  it just doesn't have any 'flow' imo. 

Edited by LSG501

5 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Really... I've got the complete opposite opinion of them because of the stance basically stopping a lot, if not all, of the forward motion even if you're running...  it just doesn't have any 'flow' imo. 

So it's not a run and gun weapon? i don't see the problem here. not all weapons are meant for that and not all missions are for it either.

To be candid I play Zephyr, whose Jet Stream also speeds up movement during stance combos, so I would notice that less than others. Your own fault for not being a Zephyr main though.

Anyway, my main point was that a lot of people seem to be preoccupied with the "feel" of the stance/weapon, but nobody seems to be pointing out that they're also really, really good.

10 minutes ago, LSG501 said:

Have to agree with you there, having trained using a Tessen, the kata flows in a natural way, this stance prevents it, also when closed a war fan are used as a blocking/striking weapon yet this is not reflected in the stats.

1 hour ago, Sorenxoras said:

So it's not a run and gun weapon? i don't see the problem here. not all weapons are meant for that and not all missions are for it either.

it's not about running and gunning, although I do personally like to 'move forwards' when I'm attacking enemies.  The enemy literally step away from you when you try to attack them because the stance 'slams the brakes on'. 

As said above fan weapons have a natural flow to the way they're being used. this stance is lacking that flow.

1 hour ago, Cryssoberyl said:

Initial thoughts on this weapon together with the Slicing Feathers stance: incredibly good. Crazy amounts of multihit and CC, and this is leaving out any multipliers and forced slash procs. (Honestly, Gunsen slash procs so much on its own that it's hard to tell when the stance might be adding them.) The range is short, but once its ramped up with Berserker nothing can withstand the assault.

• Razor Fin has a cartwheel that multihits and can headshot, and also forces a knockdown. You get the full combo even in quick melee.
  • Cutting Fringe is crowd control, wide cleaves with an AoE knockdown finisher. Of course, Gunsen's range is short, so it doesn't hit a huge area. Probably the second least useful combo.
  • Scathing Plume is the best, really. Single target annihilator. Huge number of hits, the flip attack hits four or five times. Rapidly stacks the bleeds, and again a knockdown at the end.
  • Serrated Crest is fun, but probably the least useful and most tricky to pull off. It has a kick at the end that launches.

Yes, the self-fanning animations are silly and make the stance slightly more clunky than it needs to be. I think they could safely be toned down or jettisoned, but with or without them, Slicing Feathers has power and utility to spare, and Gunsen tears level 150s to pieces in seconds with it.

Thanks DE. You made a great new weapon type and stance for us that's both fun and good.

The final harbinger is what you call a great stance, not the stance that is a) static b) interruptive c) silly d) uses animations from other stances

6 hours ago, Sorenxoras said:

No, but this weapon type is specifically suited to fluid, mobile use, and the stance does not reflect that. If anything, warfans should be one of the few weapon types that can be used in quick melee while running, and/or have highly mobile combos that carry the user around the battlefield. Instead, we flap and preen, and while I actually think it looks good from a certain perspective, and it is effective in certain situations, it's just not what I expected.

• 3 weeks later...
On December 25, 2017 at 11:50 PM, DreamsmithJane said:

No, but this weapon type is specifically suited to fluid, mobile use, and the stance does not reflect that. If anything, warfans should be one of the few weapon types that can be used in quick melee while running, and/or have highly mobile combos that carry the user around the battlefield. Instead, we flap and preen, and while I actually think it looks good from a certain perspective, and it is effective in certain situations, it's just not what I expected.

Thought about using this with my high armor/health/shields/speed "Base Ravager" Ash build with Hunter/Vigilante/Gladiator/Augur Set Mods and passive buff.

But if it's a mobility killer, forget it.

I'm interested in how it compares to Destreza and Vulpine Mask's 50% slash-bleed PROC.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

9 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

But if it's a mobility killer, forget it.

Having spent more time with it, I've come to realize that it simply requires more careful input. If you button mash, you over-commit on the combos and get stuck in animations. But if you don't, then it's easy to get in a quick slide attack, which has a special property on the Gunsen that propels you forward farther than other weapons. Coptering gives you the mobility, while the stance gives you crowd control, rapid hits for combo building, or high multipliers for damage. I think the weapon's only real weakness is its range, which is nevertheless good enough to cut through crowds with Primed Reach. Just be careful with the basic and hold-forward combos, as both end in small AoE knockdowns followed by the now notorious fanning animations. If your enemies are all right in front of you, it's useful, but if you miss, you can be exposed.