The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dethcube Vs. Shade

Psychosist

Question

I've been considering getting a sentinel for a long time now (109 hours into Warframe atm) but I was too lazy to get myself a control module, but now I'm thinking of getting one again.

I'm conflicted as to which sentinel I should craft, however. Personally I've been doing just fine with just my Warframe, and it would seem like having a sentinel of any sort would be just a "bonus". I'm currently looking at the Dethcube and Shade models as my choices. My reasonings:

Dethcube:

At a glance, the Dethcube model seemed to be the most offensive based of the three sentinels, its Deth Machine Rifle contributing to this. Upon closer inspection of the rifle's stats, with a base damage of 5.0 and a firing speed of 8.3, it just didn't seem as strong as I expected it to be, for something labeled as a "Deth Rifle". I'd like your guys' input on the offensive properties of this sentinel, is it decently powerful when modded? What can it kill? How well does it perform?

Shade

Shade is known for its Ghost ability, cloaking its master when an enemy is inside of the activation radius, given that the said enemy is not behind an object that would obscure it from Shade's vision. Despite the possibilities a creative user can achieve with Ghost, I don't plan on using Shade for general stealth (stealth killing enemies, dodging past unalerted troops, etc.). Rather, I'm deciding to use the Ghost ability for purposes such as reviving fallen teammates under a cloak, rushing past panicking mobs to cover while my shields recharge, etc.

I'm currently using a Potato'd Frost Warframe, at max level. I tend to be the more offensive/aggressive type player, rushing up to mobs and cutting down enemies while relying on my natural bulk and shields to absorb enemy fire during ordinary missions. When playing Defense, I tend to stay near the pod/core, only drifting out to pick up mods/ammo and reviving downed teammates.

What are you guys using? What do you recommend I use?

14 answers to this question

DC is leeching xp bad. So i use this sentinel only on EDs when xp is not the goal.

for 90% of time i am using Shade.

Oh yes, I've heard about EXP leeching. I personally don't mind, since I'm maxed (well my Kunai are at 24 or so atm) everywhere, but when training alone I'll be sure to remove the precepts before grinding.

EXP leeching isn't an issue for me, don't worry.

I personally only use Shade because at the time, I only ran Loki. I've moved onto Vauban, but that's besides the point. Shade's cloak is really nice if you have it close to maxed/maxed out. It lasts good amount of time as long as you dont melee or shoot which gets you out of the cloak. I made it where my Shade doesn't have the ability to shoot so I just use it for the Guardian mod and the Ghost mod. The mod that allows your sentinel to revive after being destroyed is nice as well so you don't lose it. If it doesn't have the ability to shoot, then the enemies usually don't shoot at it.

For the way you like to play, I'd suggest Dethcube honestly. I personally enjoy Shade the most because I like knowing when an enemy is around and being able to hack consoles, revive teammates, and get the drop on enemies while being cloaked. Its saved my butt a ton of times.

I found Shade extremely useful since it support you in a offense and defensive way. Get cloak during reload, revive teammate, hacking, possible to be invincible meanwhile a enemy knockdown you down, preventing you from taking damage. It improve your ability to survive a lots, extremely usefull on stealth warframe and squishy one.

Dethcube is for another play-style where you sacrifice shade ability to survive for a more risky but rewarding result. It can keep a boss shield down...if a scorpion grab you it can shot a lazer to kill/stun?(need confirmation) them. Do a lots of damage and excellent crown control if you have a ice mod in it. Useful on rhino and frost since they can usually tank a lots of damage / take the damage instead of your squishy teammate.

Both are amazing, making wyrm obsolete =/ Is all about your play style and I personally prefer shade. But if you are a rhino user, I suggest Dethcube.

TL-TR: Both are decent, I never regret shade. Dethcube is decent as well. Is up to you if you prefer survival over offense or the other way around. I own both and love them X3

Shade seems to be getting the upper hand at the moment, with only one or two posts supporting Dethcube. I'm leaning more towards Shade now, unless anyone has praise for DC.

And my planned layout is:

1. Guardian // 2. Ghost

3. Revenge // 4. Regen

Possibly switching around Revenge with Redirection just to see how they work, or not use Revenge at all.

Edited by Psychosist

Shade seems to be getting the upper hand at the moment, with only one or two posts supporting Dethcube. I'm leaning more towards Shade now, unless anyone has praise for DC.

1. Guardian // 2. Ghost

3. Revenge // 4. Regen

Possibly switching around Revenge with Redirection just to see how they work.

I personally didn't find Revenge useful just because the enemies would start targeting your sentinel instead of you sometimes. I want to keep my Shade alive so I can cloak, so I got rid of it. Plus the burst pistol it has doesn't even do much damage even with mods on it.

I have Ghost, Guardian, and Regen on the polarity slots. I added Redirection, Fast Deflection, and Vitality so it can survive.

Edited by Kaysick

Shade is actually pretty good for heavily offensive play, believe it or not. Think of cloak as "I randomly stop taking damage for a few seconds at a time occasionally", which is pretty strong for rushing in and beating/shooting dudes to death. Yeah, it doesn't last forever, but it doesn't need to. Especially since it takes enemies a second or two after you become visible again to start shooting you.

D-Cube is objectively vastly better if you need more damage, though, and is especially useful for keeping shields down while you reload. Yeah, it doesn't do nearly as much as an actual Warframe weapon, but it doesn't need to. It's there to provide supplemental damage to big enemies and occasionally kill a few trash mobs, not to mow everything down for you.

IMO: Build Shade first, since it's pretty much going to be useful no matter what. Then build Deathcube later on down the road when grinding it out doesn't seem too daunting. Note that having a sentinel makes it much, much less daunting if you upgrade it properly.

1. Guardian // 2. Ghost

3. Revenge // 4. Regen

Possibly switching around Revenge with Redirection just to see how they work, or not use Revenge at all.

This is how I use mine except one in each corner. I can equip redirection and all the other mod since I have a reactor in my sentinel.

I personally didn't find Revenge useful just because the enemies would start targeting your sentinel instead of you sometimes. I want to keep my Shade alive so I can cloak, so I got rid of it. Plus the burst pistol it has doesn't even do much damage even with mods on it.

I have Ghost, Guardian, and Regen on the polarity slots. I added Redirection, Fast Deflection, and Vitality so it can survive.

I prefer to use revenge with a ice mod, if you get knock down..it can slow down the enemy that are nearby you.

Edited by Ninjamander

I've made my choice, I got Shade. It's a fun little thing, albeit it dies pretty easily at low levels, but that's not a problem. Very, very handy when I need to rush past thick mobs when soloing missions.

Thanks for all the input, guys.