The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Open World Ideas

AJ5511

Just curious to know if DE is looking in to any new open worlds for other planets, and possibly what they will look like. The Plains are amazing right now, and I would actually be happy if they end up expanding on it, instead of new planets, but it would be cool to see what other places would look like. Also, I want to hear what you guys think about the possibility of new open world maps. 

I read some other posts about how people are lagging a lot because of the foliage on Cetus, so moving to one of the colder planets could solve that problem. This would also limit the insane number of people that gather in Cetus at times, and allow a greater dispersion between planets. Also, if there is a new map, I don't see the need for another town like Cetus, because it already offers a boat load of items. My idea would be somewhere cold and desolate where a previous Ostron community was wiped out, and you have to explore the remnants. Let me know what your ideas are, and what you think of mine. thanks

A Venus open area is being worked on with hopefully release in spring. Watch Devstreams, they teased concept art for it shortly after PoE launched and i think in the last stream of 2017 they said the spring window they hope to release it. Nothing set in stone.

2 minutes ago, Kalec said:

A Venus open area is being worked on with hopefully release in spring. Watch Devstreams, they teased concept art for it shortly after PoE launched and i think in the last stream of 2017 they said the spring window they hope to release it. Nothing set in stone.

POE is Kadara, let Venus open world be Voeld. 

[copy & paste from another similar thread]

I think they have learned from PoE that they should never add transition gates in Venus open zone.

I imagine you change the PoE ground to have snow covered, Lakes and rivers frozen with ice top, grineer buildings changed to corpus buildings... and there we have Venus open zone lol!

Ok, I think the tileset of Hieracon is quite near to big corpus map but I don't wish to see another PoE-lookalike open zone like I described above, it will be just as dead and boring. Open zone doesn't really mean it has to be open-air. We can't even go into those grineer buildings in PoE.

Like most open world games, I would like to see some NPCs in various part of the big map that give us different missions etc

Lastly, I wish they optimized the venus open zone first before they roll it out, else it will have tons of problems like PoE did, cos it was rushed out for the nomination I presumed.

2 hours ago, kyori said:

[copy & paste from another similar thread]

I think they have learned from PoE that they should never add transition gates in Venus open zone.

I imagine you change the PoE ground to have snow covered, Lakes and rivers frozen with ice top, grineer buildings changed to corpus buildings... and there we have Venus open zone lol!

Ok, I think the tileset of Hieracon is quite near to big corpus map but I don't wish to see another PoE-lookalike open zone like I described above, it will be just as dead and boring. Open zone doesn't really mean it has to be open-air. We can't even go into those grineer buildings in PoE.

Like most open world games, I would like to see some NPCs in various part of the big map that give us different missions etc

Lastly, I wish they optimized the venus open zone first before they roll it out, else it will have tons of problems like PoE did, cos it was rushed out for the nomination I presumed.

They have to have a gate. What made you think otherwise?

3 hours ago, kyori said:

The gates caused a lot of problems to many people, if you didn't know.

that gate is there so then we can have a hub and the open zone attached.
We can't have everyone in the open zone. and having the hub attached provides immersion

Edited by Iccotak

7 hours ago, AJ5511 said:

Just curious to know if DE is looking in to any new open worlds for other planets, and possibly what they will look like. The Plains are amazing right now, and I would 

As someone who is using the dark forum theme, this is the only part of your post I can read.

2 minutes ago, kyori said:

I prefer things to be working for everyone than having immersion.

Problem being that in an online game not everything is going to work for everyone all the time
I had one glitch but other than that it has been running great for me.

Edited by Iccotak

So basically, Venus is coming out in mid summer 2018.

That aside, I'd like to see a desert or frozen wasteland. It could be way bigger since there'd be allot less foliage. Plains was a good start, but it was too small for me. Ideally, something like the interior of a crashed corpus ship would load seperatly when you enter. You could just scatter crashed corpus freighter around the map and have the inside be missions on the existing crashed corpus ship tile set.

It could eventually line up with the star chart locations. Maybe with different maps per planet.

Edited by (XB1)Architect Prime
Additional thoughts

The corpus ship tileset is one of my favorites, outside Lua's. I'd like to see a tech-focused world, perhaps a corpus shipyard where multiple ships are able to be entered and we extract data as a resource instead of plants. 

Then again, if we could get a ski slope, I'd be all for that. 

3 hours ago, kyori said:

So you mean you constantly having problems playing the game all this time? As there are no gates to get from mission to mission.

You start the game in a "gate" - the Liset. You pick a mission and load into it. You finish the mission and load back into the Liset. You travel to the Relay - loading screen. Travel to the Dojo - loading screen.

8 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

You start the game in a "gate" - the Liset. You pick a mission and load into it. You finish the mission and load back into the Liset. You travel to the Relay - loading screen. Travel to the Dojo - loading screen.

LOL. whatever rock your boat then.

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)Architect Prime said:

So basically, Venus is coming out in mid summer 2018.

That aside, I'd like to see a desert or frozen wasteland. It could be way bigger since there'd be allot less foliage. Plains was a good start, but it was too small for me. Ideally, something like the interior of a crashed corpus ship would load seperatly when you enter. You could just scatter crashed corpus freighter around the map and have the inside be missions on the existing crashed corpus ship tile set.

It could eventually line up with the star chart locations. Maybe with different maps per planet.

Sorry I get the feeling POE is about the biggest map they can load into the game without breaking it. I wouldn't expect anything bigger for some time, probably if they upgrade or replace the core game engine.

In case you didn't know I did some research. POE is approximately 6.8 km squared. The closest game map to match that in size was GTA4, with a 5 km square map, a 10 year old game. Let that sink in and you realize just how much they pushed the current game to get POE. We aren't even dealing with map sizes comparable to any game that came out recently. And not for nothing POE has way less content than even the core GTA4 game(I'm talking just core gameplay experience and mechanics).

Don't expect much more or much more complicated environment than POE. I get the feeling the only reason they were able to remove the walls and remove the render distance limit was because they limited the number of interact-able objects and background details. Hence why POE looks empty and sparse and doesn't have any large complex structure inside it. 

That's why I jokingly call POE Pointlessly Open and Empty. That and the fact that it's nothing like a plains in any regard nor can you even see a plain anywhere on the horizon....

1 hour ago, (PS4)HurricaneHugo76 said:

In case you didn't know I did some research. POE is approximately 6.8 km squared. The closest game map to match that in size was GTA4, with a 5 km square map, a 10 year old game. Let that sink in and you realize just how much they pushed the current game to get POE. We aren't even dealing with map sizes comparable to any game that came out recently. And not for nothing POE has way less content than even the core GTA4 game(I'm talking just core gameplay experience and mechanics).

That's good to know, for me it feels a little small because of how fast you can go from one end to the other with the archwing (I am mean its basically a mini space ship). If they were to create more open worlds, making the underground network larger would be huge. Especially in the colder planets, where the Corpus already have caves for their bases. This would add basically a whole new map underneath the surface, and without the archwing, it will take longer to explore and map out.

1 hour ago, AJ5511 said:

That's good to know, for me it feels a little small because of how fast you can go from one end to the other with the archwing (I am mean its basically a mini space ship). If they were to create more open worlds, making the underground network larger would be huge. Especially in the colder planets, where the Corpus already have caves for their bases. This would add basically a whole new map underneath the surface, and without the archwing, it will take longer to explore and map out.

I suspect though that any additional complexity to the map comes at the expense of draw distance. Hence why the current cave system in POE are small and anemic; they could have made a whole labyrinth of caves under POE, but chose not too.

Not to be a downer but I fear POE is about as big and as complex as it going to get in Warframe.

PS I also started a thread about open world ideas. It was generally shot down as most people on this forum don't want more POE. My feeling was that DE is deluding themselves if they think POE was the core reason for their recent popularity. Apparently my fears are valid because if they are quickly going to crank out another open world map so soon rather than go back and fix core aspects of the game like Maptiles, Enemy AI, and weapon balancing, then they have all drank the koolaid and my suspicion is this game has made a definitive change in direction and most players don't know it yet. 

So lookout for more open worlds maps, more reliance of operators, zaws, focus, and amps as the core gameplay experience. Hell, I wouldn't be surprise if we are seeing the final warframes they designed before they ditch them all together an make your operator your only playable character. which means my days of enjoyment in this game are numbered.....

Edited by (PS4)HurricaneHugo76

I would prefer a different kind of open world map with different challenges and environment conditions.

For instance, an icy environment.

At night, the temperature would be too cold that it would start damaging your shields and eventually your health. You could put an item in your gear wheel that would help keep you warm but this needs to be recharged at stations (like the random Grineer towers in PoE). So at night it's dangerous in a different way than PoE.

At night, dangerous creatures (I'm thinking huge snow worms) lurk and attack passersby without warning and stealing their heat. So even if you can kill them, the cold is your true enemy.

Snowstorms could happen and make it very hard to see far and mess up your radar. Maybe using flares would clear up your radar a bit so there's a point for using items similar to fireworks.

Instead of a single compound/hub like Cetus, there should be multiple bases belonging to the syndicates and you arrive in whichever syndicate's base depending on the sigil you wear. Going to a syndicate base that hates you is possible (by foot) but most of the vendors (not all) would refuse to help you.

Corpus (instead of Grineer) would have a big presence on the planet, with huge mining machines. Epic boss fights like the Eidolons would be against Corpus planet stripping machines.

Grineer raiders would arrive from time to time, randomly, and attack Corpus outposts (and any Tenno they find). If succesful in killing the Corpus defenders, the spot would turn into a Grineer camp (temporarily) as Grineers go back and forth loading their ship. If the Tenno attacks and Grineer soldiers are mostly dead, the ship will attempt to leave. Destroying the ship before they leave would drop all the loot.

There's no fishing, but instead there are animals that can hide in the snow/ice and you hunt them by shooting them from afar. Some animals are very resistant to bullets (or just make up an excuse that they get too damaged or something) and they hide the moment we get into certain range (technically they disappear from the map) depending on the direction of the wind and our movements. We get a special bow and arrow with specialized tip to hunt them. So basically the mini game is about creeping slowly, watching the direction of the wind, and shooting animals with a bow.

Another mini game could be setting up traps. You find a hot spot, set up a trap with bait, then wait a bit further and trigger the trap when the animal got close.

2 hours ago, JalakBali said:

I would prefer a different kind of open world map with different challenges and environment conditions.

For instance, an icy environment.

At night, the temperature would be too cold that it would start damaging your shields and eventually your health. You could put an item in your gear wheel that would help keep you warm but this needs to be recharged at stations (like the random Grineer towers in PoE). So at night it's dangerous in a different way than PoE.

At night, dangerous creatures (I'm thinking huge snow worms) lurk and attack passersby without warning and stealing their heat. So even if you can kill them, the cold is your true enemy.

Snowstorms could happen and make it very hard to see far and mess up your radar. Maybe using flares would clear up your radar a bit so there's a point for using items similar to fireworks.

Instead of a single compound/hub like Cetus, there should be multiple bases belonging to the syndicates and you arrive in whichever syndicate's base depending on the sigil you wear. Going to a syndicate base that hates you is possible (by foot) but most of the vendors (not all) would refuse to help you.

Corpus (instead of Grineer) would have a big presence on the planet, with huge mining machines. Epic boss fights like the Eidolons would be against Corpus planet stripping machines.

Grineer raiders would arrive from time to time, randomly, and attack Corpus outposts (and any Tenno they find). If succesful in killing the Corpus defenders, the spot would turn into a Grineer camp (temporarily) as Grineers go back and forth loading their ship. If the Tenno attacks and Grineer soldiers are mostly dead, the ship will attempt to leave. Destroying the ship before they leave would drop all the loot.

There's no fishing, but instead there are animals that can hide in the snow/ice and you hunt them by shooting them from afar. Some animals are very resistant to bullets (or just make up an excuse that they get too damaged or something) and they hide the moment we get into certain range (technically they disappear from the map) depending on the direction of the wind and our movements. We get a special bow and arrow with specialized tip to hunt them. So basically the mini game is about creeping slowly, watching the direction of the wind, and shooting animals with a bow.

Another mini game could be setting up traps. You find a hot spot, set up a trap with bait, then wait a bit further and trigger the trap when the animal got close.

That actually sounds pretty good. But I feel they will keep fishing in the game, except change it to, wait for it....ICE FISHING!!!!