Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Russian letters transliterate on English client

-dapoy.Amily-

On 19.02.2018 at 4:26 PM, bandigood said:

now i got that this was made on purpose for those who tryed to use cyrillic symbols for typing swear words (you could use our 'с' for 'heck'(e.g) word and profanity filter wouldn't notice this), since all replaceable letters looks similar (Д-A, в-B, т-T etc.)

so probably 'fix' will took even longer than fixing 'ball' and 'stardust' words banned in-game which was reported many times since PoE release.

The thing is - you can convert message internally for the purpose of profanity filter, there is no need to actually show everyone converted message. They can just convert words on the fly and test with filter, if converted word matches something on filter - block it, if it doesn't - do the same for rest of the message, but keep original message and show original message in chat.

Edited by DemonikWarframe

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, vehkandvehk said:

It truly captures the essence of those who use client in English and communicate in Russian while at it.

What do you mean by that?

I play Warframe for almost 5 years already and I have always used English client. First of all because I don't like the translation in Russian client (for example - mod names and similar stuff is translated to russian language as well and when you try to translate them back to english you usualy end up with completely different mod names than ones used in english client). Also using English client helps me to improve my English... But when I speak to my clanmates in clanchat or via private messages I use Russian language. What's the problem with that?

Bump.

Please fix that and also item linking. That thing is totally broken if you try to link something to player who plays on different client. I guess it is not hard, since all items probably have unique id and it's not hard to detect which client i am using to find item i want to link in db and then show it up  in other player's chat with his client language. The only thing we can link for now in that way is riven mods.

Edited by -DelFuN-

• 3 weeks later...

@bandigood, maybe it was an inappropriate question for that thread?

On 2018-05-13 at 7:32 PM, bandigood said:

5 months no fix

Btw, this thing is actually older. But fewer symbols were replaced and nobody noticed that... I guess...

Also there was some fixes of other chat/text related problems about 5 months ago, I think that's where it started getting worse.

1 hour ago, RadYogh said:

@bandigood, maybe it was an inappropriate question for that thread?

Btw, this thing is actually older. But fewer symbols were replaced and nobody noticed that... I guess...

Also there was some fixes of other chat/text related problems about 5 months ago, I think that's where it started getting worse.

inappropriate thing is ignoring that for months, they did that for make their pathetic profanity filter "better" and not gonna reverse that on purpose

i take every oportunnity to tell them about that

1 hour ago, RadYogh said:

Why do you think so? 🙂

1 hour ago, bandigood said:

they did that for make their pathetic profanity filter "better"

it's very obvious, this can't be a bug that very similar letters becomes latin, such as "c" and "к" from "heck" word

1 hour ago, bandigood said:

not gonna reverse that on purpose

because i don't know what to think more about this? how such a big company with known good communication with players can't be fixed tho i mention this in a large numbers of patchnotes and this thread has ~2.5k views? easiest answer is they just don't want to

do you even saw what they did with profanity filter lately? swear words are even banned in loadout names which is private, such a mess

Edited by bandigood

@bandigood

Well. It seems it may be connected with the profanity filter, but I don't think they're so bad in programming that they can't even make a profanity filter without breaking non-latin symbols in chat. And this all can be a co-incidence.

And "no fix for X months" could be because there aren't that many Russian speaking players who use English client and somewhat often speaks Russian in chat... And maybe because it's somewhat tricky to fix, because they didn't think about people who's speaking various languages while using English client when they were developing something... So they're delaying this, doing something "more important"(as they think). Maybe they keep forgetting about this. Or maybe they just hate Russian speakers? 😄

There could be many different reasons for "why that happened" and "why nobody fixed that for X months". From my experience I can say that DE usually fixes problems/bugs sooner or later... but sometimes it takes years. 🙂

2 hours ago, RadYogh said:

@bandigood

Well. It seems it may be connected with the profanity filter, but I don't think they're so bad in programming that they can't even make a profanity filter without breaking non-latin symbols in chat. And this all can be a co-incidence.🙂

the point is not about bad programming, the point is that some players were abusing cyrillic symbols to make swear words showing as normal, that's why they are converting to latin, this is how they fixed this "problem"

2 hours ago, RadYogh said:

@bandigood

And "no fix for X months" could be because there aren't that many Russian speaking players who use English client and somewhat often speaks Russian in chat... And maybe because it's somewhat tricky to fix, because they didn't think about people who's speaking various languages while using English client when they were developing something... So they're delaying this, doing something "more important"(as they think). Maybe they keep forgetting about this. Or maybe they just hate Russian speakers? 😄

there are a lot of other countries who still use cyrillic such as belarus, ukraine, bulgaria, kazachstan and even mongolia, many people from these countries want to improve their english and set this everywhere and look what we get here, can't even speak with our friends and clanmates properly.

imagine some CIS-developed game would do the same thing and english speakers would see "soмeтнiпg liкe тнis", the hate would probably forced him to change back in hours

so we are discussing the same thing for 5 months, trying to remind that we are exist, just abandoned by developers

12 minutes ago, bandigood said:

the point is not about bad programming, the point is that some players were abusing cyrillic symbols to make swear words showing as normal, that's why they are converting to latin, this is how they fixed this "problem"

That's what I'm talking about - only very-very bad programmer could use such absurd way to solve this problem.

12 minutes ago, bandigood said:

magine some CIS-developed game would do the same thing and english speakers would see "soмeтнiпg liкe тнis", the hate would probably forced him to change back in hours

Most Russian speakers use Russian client. Russian client had similar problem few months ago and it was fixed fast. As I have already mentioned above - not very many Russian(or `Cyrillic`) speakers use English client - this is the main reason why they do not fix this for months (IMHO).

But... Even if this isn't very important, even if not very many people care about it - this is a bug anyway and it must be fixed. (I just hope that would happen sooner.)

P.S. @bandigood, I hope you will keep reminding DE about this bug. But please, just don't make it the wrong way.

Edited by RadYogh

Bumping this as well.

While I'm not Russian I too use Cyrillic letters and hate to see brothers suffer!

Just a quick side note The english client seems to handle Bulgarian quite well And since the difference to Russian is next to none (give or take a few letters) I see no reason for this to be a problem.

i think they can return too the ****  is the type of lauguege or u get it all or u get nothing soo in my case is allways like 😓 hi there russian friend i hope that was a nice comment ....
and probably is not a very nice thing

I wonder if bumping helps. I've been playing on English client for couple of years but recently I was forced to switch to Russian, as chat has became increasingly unusable. You have no idea how overwhelming it was. Mods are named differently, some weapons were translated, even Warframes (Saryn - SarinUH, Valkyr - ValkiriYAH). Anyway, the point is we really need some kind of option to disable message tampering. We need to see actual symbols, no matter if they are Cyrillic or Latin. IIRC blizzard games have the option to disable profanity filters, but it's only for the strong men who can handle the raw power of internets.

After months of investigations and mind blowing questionings i came to a conclusion that this is not (and has never been) a bug, this was an intended change to help solve numerous issues with profanity filter in Chats and over all Game. Until that moment, there were still some unregistered situations with abusive behavior of players in Region, in Squads and even in Alliance chats related to replacing Latin symbols in dirty words by Cyrillic or other symbols to evade chat filter bots or even real time moderation. It is disappointing for me, that because of such unmannered people we need to suffer transliterating every single sentence every single time when we prefer playing on original game client while communicating in Russian. Chat moderation problems is a high priority theme, and it is obvious that DE are doing their best to improve our experience with using Chats. But nothing in this game (neither in this world) works perfectly, and there are always exceptions. In this case, we are those exceptions. We are not allowed to use Cyrillic in international chats because some other dudes once (more than once actually) used them for offensive purposes. And it's been more than half a year since this started, so I can say i'm completely used to it by now. In some cases it is even useful since I don't have to change Language when i play Warframe at all.

But I still have some hopes that one day the Chat filters will be recognizing such symbols, and this restriction will no longer be needed. Chat bot gets improved regularly, so these hopes have their right to live anyway.

So, by today I'm closing this thread, and i'm asking those who've been bumping it under update/build notes (thanks, it really motivated me to analyze), or just by typing "bump", to stop and just move on. I know i've caught a lot of attention with this topic but the actual audience who's using English client while being from another country is ... well, relatively few. So, this is just a small sacrifice for the bigger good of all others. Imagine yourselves like you're really helping the Community by accepting this change. At least, that's what i'm doing at the moment. 

Thank you, Tenno.