Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kavats in POE

DissentWomble

Just thought they could have some mods that gives them more functionality in POE. Kavats randomly bringing you fish, attacks wildlife, helps finding the closest mining spot when we equip the laser mining thingy, can hold down an assasinate target thats running away in POE only, Pees on turrets causing them to shutdown. Just feel like its a lost opportunity.

8 minutes ago, kambinks said:

Kavats randomly bringing you fish,

Afk fishing, nah.

helps finding the closest mining spot

Your mining tool already does that

attacks wildlife

Wildlife can be considered just a simple enemy and Kavats have a mod that they attack the enemy on sight.

9 minutes ago, kambinks said:

hold down an assasinate target thats running away in POE only

They can often distract them but it's honestly easy to just shoot the bastard in the big open area. 

10 minutes ago, kambinks said:

Pees on turrets

...lol

19 minutes ago, kambinks said:

Just thought they could have some mods that gives them more functionality in POE. Kavats randomly bringing you fish, attacks wildlife, helps finding the closest mining spot when we equip the laser mining thingy, can hold down an assasinate target thats running away in POE only, Pees on turrets causing them to shutdown. Just feel like its a lost opportunity.

Smeetas increase your fish drops and that's proly as much as would be healthy (not that I wouldn't love a way to not have to fish), but yeah I'm down for some more uses for cats and dogs if they aren't going to give them vacuum.

I completely agree with you. Kavats and kubrows are lost opportunities in general, not only after PoE update. They are crying out for new functionalities and QoL changes. Otherwise, no matter what their abilities are, I would always choose sentinel over a pet. E.g., there's no Regen equivalent for pets, they cannot revive you, you cannot have different loadouts with different pets and simply change them (20 min to put them out form stasis), their AI and movements are terribly designed (invisible obstacles at doors / between tileset parts), no (universal) vaccum and so on and so for. Anyway, a mining kubrow or fishing kavat at PoE seem to be an interesting idea.

General changes... QoL?

Their AI, functionality, movement around the map needs to be looked at.
If they could be more responsive to what happens around them, tail the player as closely as a Sentinel, have their abilities/ perks more available to the player, then they can work on adding new things to them.

Pee on turrets?
Yes, but that can be added after they get the functionality of the pets down properly, then they can add character to them.

Edited by INight00

Animal companions really need more features and buff, especially for the effort you put in to mod them.

7 forma minimum to fully mod a Kubrow with a decent set of mods, half of which are Rank 10 mods, so that's a lot of endo and credits. Not to mention, even with all 7 forma, you barely have any mod space to customize your kubrow, so once you got an Offensive or Defensive build in mind, it becomes locked in unless you use more forma.

Spoiler

bdb07973-f54b-4957-bd41-a7bb1ba0b4eb.PNG

As of currently, sentinels provide much more utility (Charge shields, heal some HP, vacuum, even suicides to rez you, and that is before taking account the precepts and Animal Instinct)

Sure, animal companions can be a lot tankier, but that doesn't really matter in higher lvl missions where they are compelled to stage dive into a group of enemies and stand there while I'm off bullet jumping into another section of the area.

Edited by (XB1)calvina

1 hour ago, EmilotMargus said:

Afk fishing, nah.

Your mining tool already does that

Wildlife can be considered just a simple enemy and Kavats have a mod that they attack the enemy on sight.

They can often distract them but it's honestly easy to just shoot the bastard in the big open area. 

...lol

Was thinking of it being a passive farming kind of thing. 1 fish or a gem in the span of a 4 mission bounty run is not really abusive.

Yes mining tools already have that feature but it can be something it does without the need of the player to equip the thing. Something that it can do while players running between jumping from one mission point to the other. Doesn't even have to be intrusive as well, something like a text alert that says the pet found something and just gives a node at the map that points to a mining point that the player can go fetch or just ignore. Something that integrates mining into normal missions and of course optional through equipping a mod.

Its more about just integrating them more into POE rather than just treating them like its just another mission. 

Peeing kavats and kubrows would definitely be a highlight imo.

7 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

All the pets are pretty half assed. 

Kavats got the more relevant utility, though, and they don't lose loyalty when they die in a mission. It pretty much seals the deal on which animal companion you should take if you want to be both efficient and relevant to the mission at hand.

8 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

Kavats got the more relevant utility, though, and they don't lose loyalty when they die in a mission. It pretty much seals the deal on which animal companion you should take if you want to be both efficient and relevant to the mission at hand.

Doesn't make them any less half assed.

1 hour ago, MagPrime said:

All the pets are pretty half assed. 

True but I like them more becouse they don't fly around xd. That always anoyed me. (Btw at least with Kavats you don't have loyality to deal with BUT i still prefer my Huras)

1 minute ago, Askell91 said:

True but I like them more becouse they don't fly around xd. That always anoyed me. (Btw at least with Kavats you don't have loyality to deal with BUT i still prefer my Huras)

I love the look of the Kubrows more than anything.

I mean, just look at this majestic beast

Spoiler

S6FuqPi.jpg?1

5pG99Fm.jpg?1

He is truly glorious.  He just isn't as useful as this little monster.

Spoiler

Lwmq0VH.jpg?1

MSb1N4J.jpg?1

The Smeeta is simply my luck dragon, that's all I use it for. 

I really, truly, don't understand these takes on X feature not working a certain way is a lost opportunity. Woe unto us, for DE has consciously forbidden us from this niche feature that they probably didn't think of and is not all that important to the big picture. The game is in active development. When it goes feature lock, sure, that would be a lost opportunity.

3 hours ago, MagPrime said:

I'd like to see the Digger Kubrow pulling up Ore, gems, etc. 

This actually makes sense. A "cat" fetching things doesn't make sense. Maybe a similar idea to Scavenge, where the Kubrow scratches at a vein and has X chance to get some reduced number vs. you actively mining it and following the outline.

8 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Doesn't make them any less half assed.

Aside from AI I don't see how the Kavats are such. They both offer very similar utility with one offering a wide, random array and the other offering a reliable, focused one. Even the AI isn't as bad as the forums always try to say it is. I haven't seen my cat getting stuck in the middle of a group of enemies since they fixed that bug where animals wouldn't run through doors (how that even happened is a mystery). The utility they offer is relevant in 99.9% of situations regardless of which breed you choose to take.

Kubrows, on the other hand, offer such hardlined utility that you actually feel like you're losing out when you take one breed over another. Add to that the fact that the Sahasa and the Sunika both have a precept that allows them to grapple the enemy, which entirely defeats the purpose of one whole breed (minus capture targets and only capture targets) and I can buy that Kubrows were very hastily thrown together.

I know it's forums as usual to say that the animals aren't well done and I can surely agree in certain cases but Kavats have received an unconditional amount of love from DE. They are farm from, "half assed."

6 hours ago, peterc3 said:

This actually makes sense. A "cat" fetching things doesn't make sense. Maybe a similar idea to Scavenge, where the Kubrow scratches at a vein and has X chance to get some reduced number vs. you actively mining it and following the outline.

This would be amazing.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:39 AM, Chipputer said:

Aside from AI I don't see how the Kavats are such. They both offer very similar utility with one offering a wide, random array and the other offering a reliable, focused one. Even the AI isn't as bad as the forums always try to say it is. I haven't seen my cat getting stuck in the middle of a group of enemies since they fixed that bug where animals wouldn't run through doors (how that even happened is a mystery). The utility they offer is relevant in 99.9% of situations regardless of which breed you choose to take.

Kubrows, on the other hand, offer such hardlined utility that you actually feel like you're losing out when you take one breed over another. Add to that the fact that the Sahasa and the Sunika both have a precept that allows them to grapple the enemy, which entirely defeats the purpose of one whole breed (minus capture targets and only capture targets) and I can buy that Kubrows were very hastily thrown together.

I know it's forums as usual to say that the animals aren't well done and I can surely agree in certain cases but Kavats have received an unconditional amount of love from DE. They are farm from, "half assed."

Please reread my post (I am getting tired of posting this) but I didn't say Kavats are half assed, but all pets.  Lumped together, they're half assed as far as AI and utility when compared to the other options. 

On 1/9/2018 at 4:14 PM, peterc3 said:

I really, truly, don't understand these takes on X feature not working a certain way is a lost opportunity. Woe unto us, for DE has consciously forbidden us from this niche feature that they probably didn't think of and is not all that important to the big picture. The game is in active development. When it goes feature lock, sure, that would be a lost opportunity.

You haven't raised cats.  Not cool cats anyway. My cats would bring me stuff all the time.  Animals, toys, napkins and toilet tissue, a piece of chicken from his dish when I hadn't eaten for a while and was sick.  If you've seen cats seriously fight, especially bigger things than them, kavat fighting isn't...too unrealistic.  I have on two occasions seen a cat launch off a tree and onto the back of a large racoon, and a mid sized dog, tumbling them over, among other things.  I won't be satisfied until kavats or kubrows can pick up dogs and cats and bodyslam them on their heads like my first cat did to a dog a little bigger than him (who we never saw again in the area after that), but, Warframe is a work in progress, so there was still time.

....I could talk about kavat and kubrow functionality and hopes, but, mostly I just wanted to talk about cats :D

16 hours ago, Terrornaut said:

You haven't raised cats.  Not cool cats anyway. My cats would bring me stuff all the time.  Animals, toys, napkins and toilet tissue, a piece of chicken from his dish when I hadn't eaten for a while and was sick.  If you've seen cats seriously fight, especially bigger things than them, kavat fighting isn't...too unrealistic.  I have on two occasions seen a cat launch off a tree and onto the back of a large racoon, and a mid sized dog, tumbling them over, among other things.  I won't be satisfied until kavats or kubrows can pick up dogs and cats and bodyslam them on their heads like my first cat did to a dog a little bigger than him (who we never saw again in the area after that), but, Warframe is a work in progress, so there was still time.

....I could talk about kavat and kubrow functionality and hopes, but, mostly I just wanted to talk about cats :D

I had a 3 legged, 23lb cat named Tank that took on a 80+lb Rottweiler and won.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:04 PM, MagPrime said:

Please reread my post (I am getting tired of posting this) but I didn't say Kavats are half assed, but all pets.  Lumped together, they're half assed as far as AI and utility when compared to the other options. 

Also, go home Forums, you're drunk.  I just got this notification that you quoted me, but your post is from 16 hours ago??

I did read your post. You aren't getting away on a technicality, here. Kavats are far from, "half assed," and lumping them together with the undeniably underpowered and underloved Kubrows is disingenuous, reductive, and unfair. Kavats, with vacuum, would be the undeniable META choice if that were to ever happen.