Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ultimate Ember Rework: Enough With Grilled Cheese!

(PSN)LoisGordils

Yes, she needs one. Let's go.

Also, hi! Thanks for taking interest :D

Starting off, I'll say that her best ability is Accelerant. This rework will focus on synergies with her abilities with a focus on Accelerant.

1. Fireball: Base damage and range stay the same, 10% of enemy health is dealt as an AOE. Charging the skill increases size, damage and percent health to 20% but reduces flight speed. Striking an armored enemy affected by Accelerant with Fireball melts part of the armor by 50 points (targets base armor).

2. Accelerant: Her best ability (Flash Accelerant :3), synergizes with her other skills. Only addition: Refreshes and strengthens any Heat proc within range.

3. Fireblast: Allies within the ring are unaffected by Cold procs and reduces Cold damage taken by 50%. Additionally, shooting from inside the ring grants guaranteed Heat procs on enemies. Casting Accelerant inside the ring causes it to explode, dealing Fireblast's  remaining damage as 50% Blast (with proc) and 50% Heat; to better understand this, it shares mechanics with Oberon's Hallowed Eruption. Casting Fireball on the ring strengthens the flames. Increased damage over time, ticks happen twice as often and the inside of the ring now deals damage to enemies. Naturally, detonating an Enflamed Fireblast deals even more damage :p

4. World On Fire: Personally, I dislike skills that have ZERO interactivity and are basically passives. Especially if it's an ultimate. For Ember's new ultimate, she will begin emitting copious amount of Heat to her surroundings. The range and damage per second will initially be low. However, range and damage of this "heat wave" will increase the more Heat damage and Heat procs Ember deals. All attacks will have X% of it's damage dealt as Heat. The ability will be duration based, not channeled. Maximum damage and range reached after X amount of enemies have been incinerated. Stepping inside Fireblast refreshes World On Fire. If you wish to turn it off, you can either wait for it to expire or cast Accelerant. Casting it detonates World on Fire with a smilar effect as Fireblast: it takes 25% of all Heat damage dealt and converts it into Blast. This also sets Ember on fire, ending the ability, and taking advantage of her already in-game passive to refresh her energy and power up her follow-up abilities.

There, all done. Thank you for your time :]

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

5 minutes ago, INight00 said:

1 is like acid shells, vulcan blitz or molecular prime... but fire.

2 Sure.

3 Nice.

4 So... a continuously damaging and scaling (equinox) wof.

Sounds good on paper... but then again, I use equinox over ember.

1. Pretty much, don't see the MP similarity though. This change helps it immensely and promotes ease of fight when faced with armor :]

I actually really like these ideas and the synergy between abilities. I'm a huge fan of Ember as she is, though I'm one of those players that avoids using WoF if I'm against anything lower than level 30. I'm right there with you in thinking Accelerant is one of her best (and imo, most underused) abilities, and I love the idea that using it refreshes heat procs and causes her other abilities to "burst." Definitely fits the theme.

Your WoF changes definitely make it a far more interesting ability, and I like the idea that Accelerant can help trigger Ember's passive. That said, I actually prefer it being channeled. I'm not sure how to describe why, but it seems more... fitting? For the fire-based frame to have her ultimate just be perpetually setting everything around her on fire. I get what you're going for with the synergy between it and Fire Blast, but I don't like the idea of forcing the synergy to keep it going. Maybe instead, keep it channeled, but with an increasing rate of energy drain? And Fire Blast resets that.

I also really like the heat wave aspect of it, and DE could probably whip up an awesome graphical effect for it, but I'd like to keep the pillars of fire, too. Maybe just take away their damage or lessen it extremely to make up for the new aspects of the ability, making Firequake still an applicable (and highly useful) augment? WoF is a tough ability to alter without upsetting a lot of people, but it definitely needs to be looked at. Even as a veteran player with plenty of instagib loadouts, it drives me nuts to hop into a low level relic mission and see some max power strength Ember running around instagibbing everything without having do pull a trigger once. I think you are definitely onto something really solid here.

7 minutes ago, Tavanaka said:

I actually really like these ideas and the synergy between abilities. I'm a huge fan of Ember as she is, though I'm one of those players that avoids using WoF if I'm against anything lower than level 30. I'm right there with you in thinking Accelerant is one of her best (and imo, most underused) abilities, and I love the idea that using it refreshes heat procs and causes her other abilities to "burst." Definitely fits the theme.

Your WoF changes definitely make it a far more interesting ability, and I like the idea that Accelerant can help trigger Ember's passive. That said, I actually prefer it being channeled. I'm not sure how to describe why, but it seems more... fitting? For the fire-based frame to have her ultimate just be perpetually setting everything around her on fire. I get what you're going for with the synergy between it and Fire Blast, but I don't like the idea of forcing the synergy to keep it going. Maybe instead, keep it channeled, but with an increasing rate of energy drain? And Fire Blast resets that.

I also really like the heat wave aspect of it, and DE could probably whip up an awesome graphical effect for it, but I'd like to keep the pillars of fire, too. Maybe just take away their damage or lessen it extremely to make up for the new aspects of the ability, making Firequake still an applicable (and highly useful) augment? WoF is a tough ability to alter without upsetting a lot of people, but it definitely needs to be looked at. Even as a veteran player with plenty of instagib loadouts, it drives me nuts to hop into a low level relic mission and see some max power strength Ember running around instagibbing everything without having do pull a trigger once. I think you are definitely onto something really solid here.

Thank you so much for your input! :]

That said, an increasing energy drain akin to Valkyr's Hysteria would seem very appropriate. The reason I went witg duration is because I fear it can become endless with the right build xD

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

WoF is practically just a damage aura at higher levels

And a nuke as well :)

Besides, it's much more viable than what we currently have

WoF adds Heat% damage to all of her attacks. Synergizes with Accelerant for massive damage. Cast Accelerant, cast WoF, deal lots of Heat, Accelerant again, boom. Ember on fire after detonation = Cast her other skills with even more power

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

Any change to WoF needs to preserve the augment effect, or else Ember will be too squishy. Accelerant+Firequake is the only thing keeping her alive once enemy damage cranks up.

I like your changes to her 1 and 2 (minus Fireball charging), but I think Fireblast needs to be redesigned. The ring is ugly and unhelpful. Doesn't even affect enemies inside it. Maybe something more like Oberon's Hallowed Ground, but fire instead of radiation. She also needs some way to exploit her passive as the climax of a complex setup within her kit, I like that your suggestion does this.

I wouldn't mind charging Fireball, but not just for bigger damage. Charging should add flight speed and multishot, starting with 3 projectiles at 100% strength, and adding 1 projectile for every +35% strength. Charging would increase the modded projectile count by 100% per second charged, capping at 2 seconds, turning Fireball into a widespread shotgun. The AOE damage and range would be unaffected; only contact damage of Fireball is changed by charging. This would have the added benefit of making the augment easier to aim.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

Any change to WoF needs to preserve the augment effect, or else Ember will be too squishy. Accelerant+Firequake is the only thing keeping her alive once enemy damage cranks up.

I like your changes to her 1 and 2 (minus Fireball charging), but I think Fireblast needs to be redesigned. The ring is ugly and unhelpful. Doesn't even affect enemies inside it. Maybe something more like Oberon's Hallowed Ground, but fire instead of radiation. She also needs some way to exploit her passive as the climax of a complex setup within her kit, I like that your suggestion does this.

I wouldn't mind charging Fireball, but not just for bigger damage. Charging should add flight speed and multishot, starting with 3 projectiles at 100% strength, and adding 1 projectile for every +35% strength. Charging would increase the modded projectile count by 100% per second charged, capping at 2 seconds, turning Fireball into a widespread shotgun. The AOE damage and range would be unaffected; only contact damage of Fireball is changed by charging. This would have the added benefit of making the augment easier to aim.

Just had a thought: Charging fireball changes travel time, either slower or faster, (I'm not sure what the physics of a small vs a large fireball irl are but whatever it's void energy DE doesn't have to explain S#&$) but rather than it simply being multishot (hard to aim) or higher damage, the longer you charge it and the more energy you expend, the wider an AoE heat wave becomes, setting surfaces and enemies on fire around the path of the fireball. Then we could just get rid of Fire Blast in its current state entirely and open Ember up to even more creative abilities. After all, she's one of the oldest frames in the game, and DE's coding chops are lightyears ahead of what they were back in early beta. I bet there's plenty of newer fire-based abilities they could pull off now with what they've learned over the years.

Edited by Tavanaka

20 minutes ago, (PS4)BlitzKeir said:

The Augment stays the same. Basically, proccing Heat while on WoF knocks down enemies

6 minutes ago, Tavanaka said:

Just had a thought: Charging fireball changes travel time, either slower or faster, (I'm not sure what the physics of a small vs a large fireball irl are but whatever it's void energy DE doesn't have to explain S#&$) but rather than it simply being multishot (hard to aim) or higher damage, the longer you charge it and the more energy you expend, the wider an AoE heat wave becomes, setting surfaces and enemies on fire around the path of the fireball. Then we could just get rid of Fire Blast in its current state entirely and open Ember up to even more creative abilities. After all, she's one of the oldest frames in the game, and DE's coding chops are lightyears ahead of what they were back in early beta. I bet there's plenty of newer fire-based abilities they could pull off now with what they've learned over the years.

Just came up with a hilarious idea to "replace" Fire Blast to go along with these changes. Call it Immolate or Phosporus or something, keep the same cast animation, but it causes the fire blast to occur on a target, blinding them and sending them into a panic for x duration as they run around with zero regard for their surroundings, destroying nearby objects and setting any enemies they come close to (or Ember herself) on fire as well. Duration finishes off with a knockdown (think stop drop n' roll) and higher range = larger flames = larger radius of people and things they set on fire in their path. Give it a slightly reduced cast cost to make up for the randomness of it, and synergy with Accelerant works the same, causing the enemy to detonate and deal AoE damage.

Maybe not the most powerful ability in the books, but it would certainly add to the raw appeal of Ember, make for some great in-game moments, and would give the team a chance to really give Ember a truer-to-the-name "rework." Plus I just think it'd be funny as hell.

Anything to add some interactivity to Ember's ult. I'm so bored of WoF.

This sounds wonderful, though you may want to change the armor damage from using her 1 on Accelerant marked enemies to a percentage value, or even a mix, like Acid Shells' effect. I was gonna say "something low like 20%" until I remembered how much a Hydroid with Corroding Barrage can do to armor, so maybe just make it a straight corrosive proc?+

Make World of Fire actively target any enemy currently on fire or affected by any of ember's abilities.  Energy drain upon targeting (similar to desecrate/Nekros) that doesn't stop energy regen.

Go out with fire mods/weapons and be a true pyromaniac.

49 minutes ago, deliciousdoobmaster69 said:

I think this rework looks really nice, good job. :thumbup:

What about her augments though, how would they fit into this new Ember?

Thank you!

Fireblast needs a new augment, since Flash Accelerant completely overshadows it

Firefright is laughable xD

Firequake knocks down enemies that are set on fire within the heat wave :]

21 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Thank you!

Fireblast needs a new augment, since Flash Accelerant completely overshadows it

Firefright is laughable xD

Firequake knocks down enemies that are set on fire within the heat wave :]

So Flash Accelerant and Firequake would pretty much remain untouched? Any ideas for Fireball Frenzy and Firefright? If you do come up with something it might be worth editing it into your OP. Maybe remove the charging function from Fireball and add that extra damage into Fireball Frenzy along with extra armor removal? As for Firefright I can't really think of anything, but I would like to see what ideas you have.

Edited by deliciousdoobmaster69

22 hours ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Increased damage over time, ticks happen twice as often and the inside of the ring now deals damage to enemies.

I think the ring should also either take range mods into account and be larger(max range would put it around 30 or so meters maybe more and I'll explain why later) or the more fire you feed into the ring itself the more it grows maxing out between 15-20m unaffected by neg or pos range.

If you wish to turn it off, you can either wait for it to expire or cast Accelerant. 

Accelerant being the key to turn it off is a bad idea. Like you said in the beginning, accelerant is her best and most scaling ability. Having it as an off switch for your ult seems counter productive. The synergy with it and refresh through fire blast is a great idea tho, seems like it was borrowed from gara.

This also sets Ember on fire, ending the ability, and taking advantage of her already in-game passive to refresh her energy and power up her follow-up abilities.

If one of her own abilities sets her on fire then her passive needs to also include immunity to fire or she will die extremely quickly.

Lastly she needs some form of CC considering your change to her world on fire and the fact that you didn't give her any armor buffs leaves her with just accelerant as a panic button. To help alleviate this her fire blast could become her new CC. Starting out at about 25% chance that enemies are inflamed on entry and maxing out at 100% with the ring feeding off of the fire you put into it. Now you have a reliable form of area denial and CC that you still have to somewhat work for and feeds into her theme and synergy.

Her augment for fire blast would definitely need to change tho, maybe make it "from the ashes" if you die while within the interior of the ring you auto revive and the ring either explodes or is set on a timer, think Oberon Phoenix renewal, before it will revive you again.

Edited by (PS4)JCM_Unlimited
Misspelling

On 1/9/2018 at 1:55 PM, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Yes, she needs one. Let's go.

Also, hi! Thanks for taking interest :D

Starting off, I'll say that her best ability is Accelerant. This rework will focus on synergies with her abilities with a focus on Accelerant.

1. Fireball: Base damage and range stay the same, 10% of enemy health is dealt as an AOE. Charging the skill increases size, damage and percent health to 20% but reduces flight speed. Striking an armored enemy affected by Accelerant with Fireball melts part of the armor by 50 points (targets base armor).

2. Accelerant: Her best ability (Flash Accelerant :3), synergizes with her other skills. Only addition: Refreshes and strengthens any Heat proc within range.

3. Fireblast: Allies within the ring are unaffected by Cold procs and reduces Cold damage taken by 50%. Additionally, shooting from inside the ring grants guaranteed Heat procs on enemies. Casting Accelerant inside the ring causes it to explode, dealing Fireblast's  remaining damage as 50% Blast (with proc) and 50% Heat; to better understand this, it shares mechanics with Oberon's Hallowed Eruption. Casting Fireball on the ring strengthens the flames. Increased damage over time, ticks happen twice as often and the inside of the ring now deals damage to enemies. Naturally, detonating an Enflamed Fireblast deals even more damage :p

4. World On Fire: Personally, I dislike skills that have ZERO interactivity and are basically passives. Especially if it's an ultimate. For Ember's new ultimate, she will begin emitting copious amount of Heat to her surroundings. The range and damage per second will initially be low. However, range and damage of this "heat wave" will increase the more Heat damage and Heat procs Ember deals. All attacks will have X% of it's damage dealt as Heat. The ability will be duration based, not channeled. Maximum damage and range reached after X amount of enemies have been incinerated. Stepping inside Fireblast refreshes World On Fire. If you wish to turn it off, you can either wait for it to expire or cast Accelerant. Casting it detonates World on Fire with a smilar effect as Fireblast: it takes 25% of all Heat damage dealt and converts it into Blast. This also sets Ember on fire, ending the ability, and taking advantage of her already in-game passive to refresh her energy and power up her follow-up abilities.

There, all done. Thank you for your time :]

Quit caring right when you said her ult was duration based. Also she is fine as she is. Quit playing level 20 content and you'll realize that later on she becomes more of a CC frame.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, Helaton said:

Make World of Fire actively target any enemy currently on fire or affected by any of ember's abilities.  Energy drain upon targeting (similar to desecrate/Nekros) that doesn't stop energy regen.

Go out with fire mods/weapons and be a true pyromaniac.

No? For god sakes, no. Leave it alone. It's fine.

23 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Demon Intellect said:

Quit caring right when you said her ult was duration based. Also she is fine as she is. Quit playing level 20 content and you'll realize that later on she becomes more of a CC frame.

Quit caring about your sour, poorly elaborated opinion when I saw you had a Loki avatar

#CheeseAllTheWay

21 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Mythical Warden said:

How about we just leave Ember alone already instead of giving her reworks?

How about, instead of being a conformist player that swallows band aid kits like pills, you propose something better? Ember is BORING. World On Fire is the epitome of LAZY. Fireblast and Fireball ARE terrible. Deal with it

6 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Quit caring about your sour, poorly elaborated opinion when I saw you had a Loki avatar

#CheeseAllTheWay

Because I bought Loki prime access in 2014? Who is the sour one here, kid? Your opinion is bad because she only is a map clearing frame on lower end content, so all you've really done is show that you don't even play level 40+ content.