Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operators: Movement Feels Restrictive + Ideas on Fixing It

TANTO_17

In this post I want to highlight that operators need to have an improved movement system.

In my opinion Warframe’s greatest success is its movement system. Parkour 2.0 gave the game a unique feel and something that not any other shooter/looter has.  What I like most about it is how limitless the possibilities of movement are. It leads to some of the coolest moments that no one talks about, but everyone enjoys; rolling under a bombard rocket then proceeding to bullet jump onto a pillar headshot him, bullet jump off the pillar and ground slam his friends. This is what makes us return to Warframe: this is the movement power trip that we all crave and enjoy. I can go shoot things in any shooter. I can go loot things in any looter. But doing that kind of combo I can only do in Warframe. I would argue that movement and customizability are what makes Warframe a success.

I will not be talking about focus or the purpose of operators, their synergies nor their place in combat. Partly because I think a lot of other posts cover this very well, partly because I think it is too big a topic, and partly because I don’t think DE is finished with the operator- warframe combat system (references is Dev streams).

Current system:

Void dash:

This ability is great. It allows for the fastest travel in warframe (besides a range Nova or power strength Volt). I love that you can go in any direction. I love that it is repeatable.  It is a great evade and does replace the roll that our warframes have with lovely taste of the void.

Aim Glide:

Good glad to see this returning in some form. It does seem to have less speed carryover and duration than on warframes. It is also great for giving a bit of time to refresh the operator energy pool.

Slide:

This is a great little addition. It did improve the clunky nature of falling out of void dash and aim glide.

Run/ Walk:

Nothing really to be said here. I feel like most players would agree that running is not the best thing to do in Warframe in terms of movement for either the operator or their warframes.

Proposed Improvements:

Give operators some form of double jump:

Not having double jump REALLY hurts. Double jump in warframe is a utility but it is also our pause in the intensity of combat. It gives us a brief pause in which we think of where we want to go and what we want to do next.  If this post does anything I want it to highlight how much nicer operator combat would be with double jump.

Wall latch:

Yes, operators are children and should not have all the capabilities of warframes. However, they do control the warframes movement and would know how to use walls in combat. I don’t think I want to see children clinging to walls, but I think it would improve the flow of combat if they could rebound off walls like their warframe counter parts. This would help them refresh their energy pool.  Most players don’t even realise how much they bounce off walls as a means of traveling through our mostly close quarters tile sets or caves on POE. Wall rebound is currently also used for getting up and on top of things. While void dash does do this well it feels rather clunky when you hit a crate or small wall and can’t get up it since you have run out of operator energy.

Some form of ground slam:

Void dashing down currently does not do anything it feels rather anti-climatic. Void dashing in general ragdolls enemies (depends on focus school) but I think it is a missed opportunity for some cool combo. While I really dislike rag dolling enemies since it makes them harder to hit. I do like it occasionally as it is a good form of emergency cc or as a combo for setting up ground finishers. Freezing enemies in place or placing a void proc on nearby enemies could be other forms of effects. This could be in the works with the operator melee system, but I don’t want to speculate to that degree.

Conclusions:

I think that operators are suffering because of having reduced movement freedom when compared to warframes. As a player I do not wish to switch to a combat style that is more restrictive in terms of movement.  Warframe is a game based on movement and flow. The movement power trip makes me like my warframe’s combat more that the restrictive movement of my operator. Many good PVP warframe players will agree that the game (specifically pvp) is more like an aerial dogfight simulator than a shooter because of how much movement is involved and required. The importance of movement does carry over into PVE. As we see changes and further iterations to operator combat I would like to see some attention payed to their movement capacities.  

TLDR:

I think operator double jump and wall rebound would improve the flow of combat.

Edited by TANTO_17

one of the things that would actually work very well is removing wind ups and after casts. This is the main reason why operators cant hold momentum and a good skill flow. Seemless switching without any momentum break would enhance the experience a lot on its own.

Next to that however. I think its best to keep the capabilities separate. while in a way it could be more recognizable to be able to use the warframe movement set I feel its best to keep them separated and instead polish what is there now.

Warframes: fancy moves | Operators: void magic

Keeping that line clear is imo the best move.

2 minutes ago, INight00 said:

What about rolling/ sliding in void mode?

You are already invincible in void mode. While I like the movement potential I don't really see the usefulness of it. With warframes we use roll to get that damage reduction or to keep the bullet jump momentum going. 

2 minutes ago, Airwolfen said:

one of the things that would actually work very well is removing wind ups and after casts. This is the main reason why operators cant hold momentum and a good skill flow. Seemless switching without any momentum break would enhance the experience a lot on its own.

Next to that however. I think its best to keep the capabilities separate. while in a way it could be more recognizable to be able to use the warframe movement set I feel its best to keep them separated and instead polish what is there now.

Warframes: fancy moves | Operators: void magic

Keeping that line clear is imo the best move.

Yes I do agree with keeping momentum. Void dashing then loosing all momentum before starting your aim glide is really annoying. 

Honestly I don't know whether I like the distinction between fancy moves and void magic. While I do think operators should have a void flare to their movements I also would like to see more similarities between them and their warframe counterparts (since as we currently understand it, it is the same mind that controls both). I also don't really want to be forced into becoming a void wizard. This game was originally about space ninjas... I would like to see more of that come back in operator movement. 

1. Operators just started and if they dont scrap them completely I doubt they will not give them some development
  2. We knew that Teshin is badass but now we know how much badass he is. I think he should stop with that nonsense conclave and open school for operators and together with Quills could teach you some badass moves or even combat with swords like he can do ...

basically unlocking more abilities for operators in some Teshing themed quest, where he would drag you from dojo Dax temple to Dax temple and teach you how to run, slide, double jump whatever in operator form, and instead of just waving hand with amp for your melee attack in operator form you could craft some cool melee weapons to swing around ...

similar to how operator void abilities are evolving Second Dream -> War Withing

3 minutes ago, Acersecomic said:

If we only had a major increase in Operator movement speed without the Focus node thing.

Can confirm the focus node (Mind Step-Naramon) makes this bearable. I don't mind it being connected but I am biased as I already had enough points to max and unbind it. To me it seems like a worthwhile thing to grind for. 

Sure that's possible to see, but I hope that there's more in store for how that mode feels:

• The Operator has actually never left the Orbiter since being rescued from the Moon.
  • What we've been seeing in the field has been Void Energy manifestations, that keep getting stronger as the Operator remembers more of the past and previous training.
    • That the operator moving around is the best the Operator can do as memories get rebuilt
    • and the Amp we get from the Quills is a device we use from the Chair on the Orbiter.
  • That we in the future can have more choices as to how each player manifests the Void.
    • So if players choose, they may continue to manifest as the operator
    • or choose to manifest as more of a Void energy entity
    • or have the Warframe move around, emanating Void Energy with the movement available in the mode.

This is where I'd move towards next with Operators.

@SPARTAN-187.Thanatos Holly yah I guess there are many more possibilities when you look at the potential in the operators in a lore sense.

I must admit I think the operator has physically manifested each time they are in operator form. We don't need the chair anymore after TWW so why would the operator not just go inside the warframe? Sorry this could be my lack of lore knowledge coming into play. 

Edited by TANTO_17
Thought about it some more added a question

3 minutes ago, TANTO_17 said:

While I like the movement potential I don't really see the usefulness of it. 

Move faster while invincible?
Team mate is downed so you want to revive them without being killed but went into void mode too early, dont want to go out of it since you already being shot at and so walk to the downed player.

2 minutes ago, INight00 said:

Move faster while invincible?
Team mate is downed so you want to revive them without being killed but went into void mode too early, dont want to go out of it since you already being shot at and so walk to the downed player.

You can already void dash but I can see why you would no want to use up more of your operator energy to do that. 

Void dash could send you right across the map, when the distance is about 10 steps. 10 very slow steps. Which sliding will probably reduce to 3.

Quills+Teshin, operator Melee, move like Teshin... he moves pretty fast as is evident in the quests.

8 minutes ago, TANTO_17 said:

@SPARTAN-187.Thanatos Holly yah I guess there are many more possibilities when you look at the potential in the operators in a lore sense.

I must admit I think the operator has physically manifested each time they are in operator form. We don't need the chair anymore after TWW so why would the operator not just go inside the warframe? Sorry this could be my lack of lore knowledge coming into play. 

Well, from a Lore perspective, Alad V has looked inside many a Warframe and has successfully created a Zanuka or two. So we can surmise that what we use in the foundry to build them is what they are made of.

So what I've assumed from here, is that our control of the Warframes is the Operator using the Somatic Link to send Void Energy into them, to power their mobility and that they use advanced neuro-network that makes use of a piezoelectric system to be tireless in movement and to further power Warframe abilities.

So once we learned of a means to channel our Void energy in a different way, we began testing, so we first figured out a means to send a pure beam of void energy and then a means to manifest Void Energy outside of the Warframe with greater control.

I could be wrong or missing something, but that is the general direction that I'm hoping for.

1 hour ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

The Operator has actually never left the Orbiter since being rescued from the Moon.

If the Operator dies, I don't think there is any coming back from that. Being in the Orbiter means you're in the Void.

1 hour ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

That we in the future can have more choices as to how each player manifests the Void.

• So if players choose, they may continue to manifest as the operator
  • or choose to manifest as more of a Void energy entity
  • or have the Warframe move around, emanating Void Energy with the movement available in the mode.

The frame will likely never have access to any of the Operator skills, same with the Operator not being able to use frame abilities. They are essentially flesh and blood. Why would they now become Void things?

13 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

If the Operator dies, I don't think there is any coming back from that. Being in the Orbiter means you're in the Void.

The frame will likely never have access to any of the Operator skills, same with the Operator not being able to use frame abilities. They are essentially flesh and blood. Why would they now become Void things?

I don't understand what you are trying to say with the first comment.

I'm trying to base my understanding on what we've see in the quests so far and from other sources like the Codex entries. And then there is Stalker.

As for the second point, I might be agreeing with you, if I can understand what you are referencing. So I'll walk through my logic:

• Controlling the Warframe we enter a mission and fight, we then choose to press '5' to swap how the energy is being used. So default it's being regulated and feed into the Warframe and their innate powers.
  • Press '5' and we then channel our energy instead of inward to the Warframe, outward into the battlefield directly onto our enemies.
    • Now by reputation we are called by some as Void Demons, so with this imagery and the likes of Nekros that we have different means to strike terror in the enemy.
    • So, with what we've seen with Rell, we seem to have manifested some rather interesting things in the past.
    • So as flesh and blood, that's what I suspect them to remain on the Orbiter and use their powers through the Warframe in different ways.

Personally, with were the devs have gone with the lore so far, it would feel rather cheap to me that we are teleporting back and forth from the ship using '5' mode, not only with the rescue from the Moon, but Stalker's many attempts to finish off the Tenno. And the whole dissolving into nothing in that mode when taking damage and then Failing if running out of revives on Warframes.

11 hours ago, TANTO_17 said:

Can confirm the focus node (Mind Step-Naramon) makes this bearable. I don't mind it being connected but I am biased as I already had enough points to max and unbind it. To me it seems like a worthwhile thing to grind for. 

Problem is, normal run speed for an operator shouldn't be grinded for :/ They are freaking turtles, like a frame under cold proc. The node should be an upgrade, not mandatory.