Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Ability in Use" Bug: Disables All Abilities, Transference, and More

Raspberry

24.2.15 shows:

On 2019-02-15 at 9:25 AM, [DE]Megan said:

Fixed using Transference while simultaneously being knocked down as a Client resulting in an inability to cast Warframe Abilities, dodge, or use Transference.

That is one possible fix, but that only covers transference and knocked down at the same time. This does not fix transference and bleeding out at the same time, as this video shows. Cannot quick respawn while "Bleeding out". Ability in use bug if revived by another player.

Lost out in my hunt in the plains because I could not use any of my skills, rez, interact with anything. Not the first time I got locked out of all skills, Op, gear. /unstuck does nothing. 😥 very discouraging when I only recently started experiencing this part of the game and my work/reward is denied due to this bug. 

Update 24.3.0 shows more fixes.

5 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Fixed another case of using Transference while simultaneously being knocked down as a Client resulting in an inability to cast Warframe Abilities, use Gear, or use Transference. 

Tested it on update 24.3.1 and it appears this bug no longer happens when using transference and bleeding out at the same time. Good, as long as other PC players don't have this problem after this update. There any more "ability in use" bugs on PC platform?

Just happened to me on PC during a teralyst hunt. I think it occured when the operator got knocked out as I was tranferring back into the warframe. "Abilitiy in use" was there, Teralyst was  down (I was hoping he would kill me), jumping into water did not work, Not enough danger to be killed by and could not loot the shard to summon the Gantulyst. Kinda painful to not be able to do anything and penalize the whole squad in the process...

Couldn't loot anything really

Edited by Lejarek
precision

Found a new way that "Ability in use" can happen.

While lagging with a ping of 800
1. use k-drive
2. 0.2 seconds later, press the use transference button. Transference doesn't go into operator mode.
3. get off k-drive, stuck in "Ability in use", until jump off map, into water, or death respawn.

Found yet another bug that causes "Ability in use" problem. Only happens to clients and network lag/delay. 800 ms ping delay (0.8 second).

1. Use Archgun.

2. Quickly, faster then ping delay, use Mesa pacemaker or Excalibur exalted blade. Stuck in "Ability in use". Neither Archgun nor ability does not correctly activate.

3. Fall down off the map, and things goes back to normal.

Just came back to try WF again after a few months away and the first mission I played I was absolutely riddled with this bug, and no amount of jumping off the map fixed it so maybe it's got worse?

I think it's maybe tied to Exalted Blade/weapons, but oddly this time around I could use my melee weapon but not Exalted Blade or my guns. Previously I'd be stopped from doing anything and would just have to hide for a minute or so until it fixed itself or jump off the map.

It makes you pretty useless in Defence or Excavation maps tbh and I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been fixed yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had this happen to me (PC).

Axi Fissure, Hydron, connection was laggy, then Wolf spawned and I got stuck in front of him after meleeing him some and using abilities, in that state I could only run in one direction but I wouldn't move (running in place), could not use any abilities nor transference anymore. The game seemed to be running normally outside of that fact, despite the laggy movement of the players and enemies.

I managed to break out of it once by dying but even the "Press X to revive" was not responding properly (had to press and hold it several times until it worked), not long after having revived I got stuck again until the end of the match.

Pretty nasty, couldn't even get reactant to open my relic 😕
Welp, at least on the bright side I got Wolf Sledge Head somehow (he died on top of me?) haha so not all was lost!

P.S.: I also tried /unstuck in chat, it just "moved" me a bit to the side but I remained stuck in that state.

Edited by RKeno
Post Scriptum

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to me a few times again today ... Doing a mot survival for 20 minutes .. first 15 no problem ... no lagging or so, but then suddenly without reason "ABILITY IN USE" .... happened to me With Volt prime and Mesa Prime. Very annoying bug.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue just now, so it certainly has not been fixed.
I'm almost 100% certain that it happened because I tried to go into the operator in exactly the same moment that I died.
I couldn't fix it in any way, not by falling off the map, or gliding or anything. Further, I was invulnerable and couldn't even die. 
When the waves ended, I was unable to select either of the options and was forced to continue battle, which obviously resulted in my failing the mission as everybody else left, though I became able to use abilities and everything normally again after host migration.

• 4 weeks later...

Happened to me in arbitration with Ivara, got on my tripwire, used 4, bow didn't come out, instead everything was locked out because "ability in use". no transference, items, abilities, I couldn't even shoot my guns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been happening all day today, and it so frustrating, using hoverboard also fixes it on the plains/orb valis but then it happens multiple times thereafter

Please fix this bug is completely game breaking.

ATM no matter where I go solo/team etc

2 hours 3 different keyboards, hundreds of forum posts and then router tweaks and a ticket And then I figure out why my WF abilities aren't firing ...  LOL FML Epic facepalm

ECX_esyXsAABjpS?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Caloss2

I've had this happen twice in the past week, once in a defense with a premade (with a strong connection to the host), once in a pub SO.  I could shoot as normal, but the melee behavior was the weirdest thing, the warframe would just twitch with no transition into an early melee-attack animation frame and back, but never attack.  Falling off the map would not reset me, it does require a full death and self-revive (so no teammate revive) to reset the frame.

Prior to this week I've only occasionally experienced this (and a similar issue where transference only is prevented) while Eidolon hunting, where jumping into the water has reliably worked as a reset.

Edited by Andvarja

Quoting from a similar post i found on reddit:

It's indeed annoying, especially if they keep reviving while you ask not to (and there is no pit to jump into).

I'm fairly sure this is a bug that happens with bad hosts or high ping. For me it happens when I use an ability with a short duration (~2 sec), while connected with a laggy host. So my guess is that the ability wore off, before the host knew I cast the ability. Or something like that.
Same can happen when quickly switching to operator etc.

I don't recall it ever happening to me while I'm the host myself. So be the host, or lower the ping limit in the settings a bit to reduce the possibility of having a bad host.

So, as a programming nerd i am, in my speculation it's about threadlocking and action synchronizing.

All player's input action has to be send to the server (in this case, the host player) and return back to the client (player). There's no loss if you are the host because it takes almost absolutely no time for the action to return as action outputs in your game.
But if you're the client and experiencing network issue, it might take a while to send that action to the host and let it came back as output in your game. By the time the action input of yours returned as output in your screen, the action's duration is already done, thread closes and your game outputs a dead action. So it stucks as a "loop" or "exception", and here you go the infamous "Ability is in use" bug.

I think it's best to sum this up by me expressing it as a string of java code:

while(ability.cast()){
    server.accept(ability); //server register the action
    //some wait time as the server accepting the action and go back to the client

client.register(ability); //sometime server already casting the ability so the client just calling a dead thread
}
class ability(){
    float duration = ...;
    cast(){
        thread.wait(ability.duration);
        thread.close(); //remove ability casting when it finishes its duration
    }
}

Edited by duyhung2h

Having a similar issue using Valkyr in the index. I end up locked into a permanent hysteria where I can no longer attack in any form, take damage, or disable hysteria/use any other abilities.

So far this has ONLY happened when trying to use hysteria in the Index specifically, and I haven't encountered it in any other missions types/using any other frames.