Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operator and Tenno

TinySuperSalad

So.. is the Operator and Tenno the same?

If so, why the heck does the Tenno keeps popping on the side of the screen giving advise to the "Operator" about the Grineers, Corpus, and Infested on how to beat them >:(

Also, I would like to call my operator: "Ann Oying"
it's a guy but he can be Ann.

6 minutes ago, NZ_CodeBlue said:

Then who is the operator? Is it the player?

So lorewise the operator doesn't exist, just for the game sake?

Operator ( Mind ) + Warframe ( Body ) = Tenno ( Warrior )

Can be explained as they talk to themselves :D

They have mental issues after all.

Edited by Aeon94

I've had this question as well, so I'll tell you everything I know.

In the experiments that lead to the warframes being created, they were originally supposed to be a sort of "host" to help control the power of the tenno and relieve some of their pain. This was later developed into the Warframe project that was used to fight the Sentients. The use of a "host" leads me to believe that, at least inside the original frames, there were people with a strong enough connection to the void to be controlled by the tenno, and they were inside the warframes. This would explain why in the Second Dream (Spoiler if you haven't played it) your warframe seems to pull the War out of it's body, severing the stalker's connection to Hunhow. That was your operator waking up, per say.

8 minutes ago, NZ_CodeBlue said:

Then who is the operator? Is it the player?

So lorewise the operator doesn't exist, just for the game sake?

As for the operator being the player. in a way, I guess. Warframe has a great dynamic between the tenno powers, warframe powers, and "Operator" or your, skill.

7 minutes ago, (Xbox One)TogetherTurtle said:

I've had this question as well, so I'll tell you everything I know.

In the experiments that lead to the warframes being created, they were originally supposed to be a sort of "host" to help control the power of the tenno and relieve some of their pain. This was later developed into the Warframe project that was used to fight the Sentients. The use of a "host" leads me to believe that, at least inside the original frames, there were people with a strong enough connection to the void to be controlled by the tenno, and they were inside the warframes. This would explain why in the Second Dream (Spoiler if you haven't played it) your warframe seems to pull the War out of it's body, severing the stalker's connection to Hunhow. That was your operator waking up, per say.

As for the operator being the player. in a way, I guess. Warframe has a great dynamic between the tenno powers, warframe powers, and "Operator" or your, skill.

it would not make sense for a person to be inside of the armor

Alad-v has opened up the warframe armour on multiple occasions for his ''ZANUKA prototype'' and according to him what is inside of the suit does not make sense (to him atleast)
so it must be something non-humanoid (like an infested strain not connected to the hive)

2 minutes ago, NeoSmile said:

Alad-v has opened up the warframe armour on multiple occasions for his ''ZANUKA prototype'' and according to him what is inside of the suit does not make sense (to him atleast)
so it must be something non-humanoid (like an infested strain not connected to the hive)

That's right, thanks for the reminder. Guess I'm back to the drawing board. It is likely a combo between synthetic and organic flesh, controlled by the infested. maybe the infested were used as a sort of "operator" because they WERE strong enough in the void to be controlled. Alad V doesn't seem like the smartest guy though, I mean, he let the infested take over his body, and didn't get worried when they started making him kill Corpus.

54 minutes ago, NeoSmile said:

We already know frames are part infested with different strain than the infested we know of ( guess its Helminth strain ) so they are not connected to hive.

That question is a little bit tricky.

There is the game mechanic and there is the Origin System like a world and a society.

In game mechanic, there is the warframe, and if we consider the Rhino codex entry, it was created not for the tenno first, but when the Rhino warframe went rampant, he broke into a cell, where a Zarihman child was held, and that child calmed down, controlled trough transference, the Rhino Warframe. Probably after that begun the hole "work together". That's also explane why the Orokin wanted some kind of semi intelligent in the warframes, before they find that the Tenno can control it.
So as a few people mentioned before, We the players consider separately the Warframe, and the Operator, the Starchild. The Tenno name is tricky. After we learn about the operator, a lot of people-player considered the Tenno the warframe and the operator together. But this is only Our point of view.
First off all. Ordis called as sometime Operator long before the Second Dream.
Secondly, the Tenno word mean different thing to different in-game and out-game people. Sometime they refer the Tenno our race. And for a lot of in-game npc people, the Tenno Is the Warframe, cuz they only saw that, and they didn't know about the Starchild's. The Tenno originally was the name of the Zarimahn children, Ten -zero, Ten'O - Tenno.

So while the Warframe and the Operator meaning is clear, the Tenno is depend from the situation where you can hear, and who is saying.

This is just the case of DE not editing old game dialogues before the second dream and left them even after the second dream.

My rant was about my stupid Tenno popping up on the side of my screen and calling me Operator >:(

If a NPC calls me Tenno / Operator, is cause they don't know better. But Tenno calling me Operator is not on >:(

We are the operator.

People sometimes talk to themselves. Of course, the sane ones will not reply themselves but smart people have been found to talk themselves through actions because it helps to structure the thought process.

This could be what is happening to the operator (us).

Tenno = Operator.

Warframe doesn't break the fourth wall. We, as players, have nothing to do with it.

Usually, an Operator that is controlling a Warframe will be called "Tenno", by whoever is speaking to the Warframe.

But an Operator that is not currently controlling a Warframe will either be called "Operator" or "Tenno". Depends on the preference of whoever speaks to an Operator. Example: Lotus calls us "Tenno" and Ordis calls us "Operator".

The name "Tenno" was given to us because we were from the Zariman Ten-Zero. But the name "Operator" was also given to us because we operate the Warframes.

Alright, so why do the Operators make in-game transmissions? Who are they talking to? Probably themselves, but one quote which is "Back on your feet, Warframe!" (That transmission rarely appears upon being revived by other players. Last time I heard it was ages ago, though.) makes me somewhat believe that they usually talk to their own Warframes, for whatever reason.

In some transmissions, Operators clearly don't talk to themselves or their Warframes. One quote I can think of is "Keep talking. We're still trying to figure out how dumb you are." (That transmission rarely appears as a response to a quote of a boss during an assassination misson).

Edited by (XB1)Juniormech777

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)Juniormech777 said:

Tenno = Operator.

Warframe doesn't break the fourth wall. We, as players, have nothing to do with it.

Usually, an Operator that is controlling a Warframe will be called "Tenno", by whoever is speaking to the Warframe.

But an Operator that is not currently controlling a Warframe will either be called "Operator" or "Tenno". Depends on the preference of whoever speaks to an Operator. Example: Lotus calls us "Tenno" and Ordis calls us "Operator".

The name "Tenno" was given to us because we were from the Zariman Ten-Zero. But the name "Operator" was also given to us because we operate the Warframes.

Alright, so why do the Operators make in-game transmissions? Who are they talking to? Probably themselves, but one quote which is "Back on your feet, Warframe!" (That transmission rarely appears upon being revived by other players. Last time I heard it was ages ago, though.) makes me somewhat believe that they usually talk to their own Warframes, for whatever reason.

In some transmissions, Operators clearly don't talk to themselves or their Warframes. One quote I can think of is "Keep talking. We're still trying to figure out how dumb you are." (That transmission rarely appears as a response to a quote of a boss during an assassination misson).

Until the stupid Tenno pops on the side of my screen and tells the "operator" about the stupid enemies >:(

8 hours ago, NZ_CodeBlue said:

Until the stupid Tenno pops on the side of my screen and tells the "operator" about the stupid enemies >:(

They don't, though. They're reflecting on their own thoughts. At no point does the Operator speak directly to the player or anyone that they, themselves, call the Operator. The only line even close is, "For the Tenno," which is not dissimilar to them saying, "For the Lotus," which is basically them saying who they are fighting for-- The Lotus and the Tenno, as a whole.