Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lewdcifer

Dagger finisher animation

This is something really petty and mostly QoL to rant about but here's something anyways.
I fully acknowledge this. It's majorly petty.

The fastest dagger in the game right now is a zaw dagger, with 1.25 attack speed. Gild does not change this.
And if you know anything about daggers, Covert Lethality is pretty much the only thing holding them up.

Now I was leveling a Dark Sword for MR on adaro with equinox, simply because it's 29 and I can't be bothered to do Hydron. FYI it's base attack speed is 0.833. The finisher prompt on that weapon. Is. Higher. Than. The. Mother@(*()$. Zaw. (Which takes an obnoxious amount of time to get if you're not too far into cetus rep, which take even more time just standing around fishing for rep...). Now, it's not instant kill per se, but unless it's a Nox, something obnoxiously good against melee finisher, A simple, no forma broken war (best of swords) which you get for free, with free catalyst and everything. And it's faster than the Dark Sword. Can pretty much down anything on the star chart. Even sortie, albeit maybe not on eximi. Which if you're on sorties, the last thing you want is get in people's face unless you're practically invincible or just absolutely invincible anyways.

So in conclusion, the swifty swift weapon that's meant to utilize its one shot capability really nice and quick is slower than something not too far behind. Major sed. So sed. And petty. Sorry.
Daggers aren't too bad just straight up damage btw, due to their insane stances with multihit and multipliers on every hit. But honestly, if you want damage, so many more can do that.

You could consider it a drawback of having a guaranteed instakill. You can have a faster finisher with other weapons, but it won't guarantee instakill in later levels. It's basic weapon balance, slow weapon more damage per shot, fast weapon less damage per shot.

It would be ridiculous to have a weapon that can dish out one shot like it's nothing. Ohhh boii pre patch Covert Lethality Exalted Blade.

Boii

But yeah, nobody uses daggers per say, they use Covert Lethality. If it was on any other weapon, daggers would be completely done away, like Dual Daggers :clem:.

Afaik, finisher animation speed is only affected by your equipped speed mods and not the weapon's base speed. That makes it rather natural that your Dark Dagger probably is modded to be up in the speeds of your Zaw, which probably isn't modded as heavily for speed. Am I right?

It's affected by your weapon base speed which can be modified with fury or can be a demerit with spoiled strike. Both weapon used Fury to speed this up, which as a percentage weapon, Zaw benefit more from it. Yeah....

i don't understand what a 'higher Finisher Prompt' is.
do you mean you can initiate a Finisher from further away? it floats higher in the air???

also btw Finishers are ONLY affected by speed Mods, the base Attack Speed does not come into play there. the only place it would come into play is if you missed your Finisher somehow (the Enemy isn't moving and the Finisher takes priority, generally pretty hard to accidentally not do it - i can Parkour around and still hit Finishers right on the money) via completing the normal Melee Attack you would do instead faster so you could hit the prompt again.

besides, Daggers have an incredibly fast Combat Finisher, and a fairly fast Stealth Finisher.

18 minutes ago, elcion said:

Both weapon used Fury to speed this up, which as a percentage weapon, Zaw benefit more from it. Yeah....

+30% Attack speed makes Finishers globally EXACTLY 30% faster for any Melee Weapon. their Finisher Animations differ to start with, but Speed Mods all have the exact same effect on every Melee Weapons' Finisher.

Base Attack Speed does not affect Finisher Speed. period. end of story. anyone saying otherwise is just wrong and has been for years. no questions asked. how much can i emphasize this when it should be a really freaking simple thing that people just can't understand.
mfw people say they use a Ceramic Dagger for faster Finisher Animations when a Sheev and a Ceramic Dagger/Dagger Zaw LITERALLY perform Finishers at the exact same speed. there is zero Milliseconds of difference.

to make it really simple, think of Melee Weapons having two Speed Stats - Attack Speed & Finisher Speed.

i think modding for Finisher Speed on a dagger is eventually going to give diminishing returns. it doesn't really matter too much as long as you can get close and have Covert lethality on. I'm also not sure you can bit hit during a finisher animation, at least I don't think that's ever happened to me, and I've never been downed while performing a Finisher. I suppose it only really matters if you're going for the absolute speediest of speed runs.

an attack speed buff for some of the other daggers, like Sheev would be nice though.

am i the only one who thinks daggers(well, zaw daggers) are actually great weapons even when you dont spam finishers with them?

Intriguing datas. Well, whichever way finisher work, the comparison (between different finishing speed) still stand true, and is still an unnecessary complaint on my end... I made the dagger to be fastest as epidemic vessel anyways, if I can get it. Dagger is still pretty bad either way. I just want the only merit to it get stronger.

Daggers are great weapons, the old daggers we had were terrible, bad status & crit, bad damage and bad attack speed, that's why everyone used to go for Covert lethality.

With the introduction of Zaws we actually see how good a dagger can perform with good stats, and they perform incredibly well, Great damage and Attack speed with your choice of Status or Crit.

With Stinging thorn daggers are great Melee weapons, not just for finishers.

10 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I'm also not sure you can bit hit during a finisher animation, at least I don't think that's ever happened to me, and I've never been downed while performing a Finisher.

you are infact invulnerable while performing a Combat or Stealth Finisher, so yeah you've never taken Damage during them.