Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Blades low stance request

_Absolom_

When wielding any two-handed sword in Warframe, it is always held in a guarding position next to the torso.

Idle animations and sprinting feel off and awkward as the whole body tilts in the direction of sprinting when the blade is equipped.

I would suggest adding an optional stance for these swords, namely the low grip, where the sword is held pointing sideways or down instead of up. 

As far as I am aware, and do correct me if I'm wrong please, the current stance is a blocking one, something that has very little point in the game both in mechanics and concept.

An offensive, low stance would much more fit the current gameplay in my opinion.

Some illustrations:

Image result for two handed sword stance

Related image

As an alternative, heavy blades could also be carried on the shoulders like the Nidus Noble animation set shows with spearguns. (Strangely enough, I can't find any examples on google images...)

Related image

Anyone agree? Do you guys use heavy blades often enough to notice these things as well, and if so, are you bothered by them?

It's the opposite actually. High stances are aggressive while low stances are defensive.

The main reason for this is because with a low stance, you need to actually bring the blade up to swing, whereas with a high stance it's already there. Low stances can protect more of your body more easily though.

Edit: Also, the current heavy blade stance isn't really a high guard, more of a mid guard.

So while I find low stances more aesthetically pleasing, the high guard makes more sense, as there's rarely any purely melee combat in Warframe where a low stance would make sense.

I should point out thought that the Nodachi showed off in some Devstreams seems to have a low stance, so there's that.

Edited by Shards-of-a-Soul

the funny thing is heavy blades used to be held in such a way, i dont have an image of how it used to be on hand but the image you posted.

14 minutes ago, _Absolom_ said:

Is kinda how heavy blades used to be held.

I always felt like the change was stupid, as it made them feel like they weren't these massive blades that could cleave through anything anymore.

Edited by Nova73

3 minutes ago, Nova73 said:

the funny thing is heavy blades used to be held in such a way, i dont have an image of how it used to be on hand but the image you posted.

Is kinda how heavy blades used to be held.

Why DE changed it to how they are now I have never understood.

1. Longswords aren't greatswords. That picture is a longsword. There's a huge difference. Edit: And it's not like this is the only stance for the longsword. There are many different guards and techniques for them like any weapon, the Fool's Guard is just one of them.

2. This low stance you both seem to be referencing is the Fool's Guard, if anyone was wondering. Also, it's like the most passive thing you can do, so.

3. As far as I know the only change to the heavy blade stance is you hold it with two hands now, rather than one, and I've been playing for 4 years.

Edited by Shards-of-a-Soul

4 minutes ago, Shards-of-a-Soul said:

It's the opposite actually. High stances are aggressive while low stances are defensive.

The main reason for this is because with a low stance, you need to actually bring the blade up to swing, whereas with a high stance it's already there. Low stances can protect more of your body more easily though.

Edit: Also, the current heavy blade stance isn't really a high guard, more of a mid guard.

So while I find low stances more aesthetically pleasing, the high guard makes more sense, as there's rarely any purely melee combat in Warframe where a low stance would make sense.

I should point out thought that the Nodachi showed off in some Devstreams seems to have a low stance, so there's that.

Hence my point, guarding is pretty much uselss at this point of time in the game. It's not about blocking blows or defending yourself, but dealing those blows as widely as possible. (hordes of enemies)

Maybe they could use that Nodachi stance as an optional wielding method to other heavy blades. That'd be great.

2 minutes ago, _Absolom_ said:

Hence my point, guarding is pretty much uselss at this point of time in the game. It's not about blocking blows or defending yourself, but dealing those blows as widely as possible. (hordes of enemies)

Maybe they could use that Nodachi stance as an optional wielding method to other heavy blades. That'd be great.

I think you missed something in my post. Low guards, the kind you're requesting, are defensive. Defending is pointless. Why are you asking for an alternate stance that makes no sense in this context?

Honestly, if any change were to be made, I'd just like the blade held a little higher over the shoulder for a more logically, aggressive stance.

Just now, Shards-of-a-Soul said:

I think you missed something in my post. Low guards, the kind you're requesting, are defensive. Defending is pointless. Why are you asking for an alternate stance that makes no sense in this context?

Honestly, if any change were to be made, I'd just like the blade held a little higher over the shoulder for a more logically, aggressive stance.

Hold on, yeah, my bad there. Welp, point B it is, it just looks better in my opinion, and indicates the weight of a weapon more than the current way of holding it. 

But that's just me.

5 minutes ago, Shards-of-a-Soul said:

3. As far as I know the only change to the heavy blade stance is you hold it with two hands now, rather than one, and I've been playing for 4 years.

I dont know maybe i am remembering it wrong, but I could swear i remember my galatine being held in a way that the blade practically looked like it was being dragged behind me as i made my way through a mission.

If i had a screenshot of it i would post it, but i dont unfortunatly.

• 1 month later...

Totally agree !!! as a "relaxed pose" the "tutta porta di ferro" guard stance would be really good , it can work even for the run animation.

Here i found a list of the 12 main guard stances of european fencing ... they are a little ... exaggerated (like the distance between their feet is too much, and they're a little stiff).

http://www.swordschool.com/wiki/index.php/The_12_guards

these are better http://wmawiki.org/index.php?title=Fiore_Poste_Progression

I think is kinda hard to weebify stances ... I mean a "posta frontale, detta corona" ("crown" guard) is very similar to the "chudan no kamae" (one of the 5 stance in kendo , if I'm not wrong).

Also, how the frame holds a longsword is very wrong ... its hands are close to each other while the dominant should be near the guard and the other more to the pommel to keep the sword more stable and have stronger and more precise strikes.

Ah, two-handers' hilt in game is too short ... I noticed it especially with the "Mithra heavy blade" tennogen skin (that btw it's really, really good looking).

Edited by Dresnan
link with better examples