The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Players: Controller or M/KB?

Lattymoy

3 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

PS: Don't know what lucid dreams about Warframe being shooter you have, when your aim is blocked by 40-50% of a frame body, unless you are in aim glide.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to consider warframe not a shooter simply because it's in third person and doesn't hide the model for visibility because it's generally not much of an issue. It may have a lot more to it than guns, but guns are pretty fuckin prominent in this game.

2 minutes ago, WyclefMack said:

The rumble is one of the biggest things for me I love the feedback.

i remember having a panic attack when the baza wasnt working. Tey fixed it fast in an update, and i got to feel that rapid fire rumble. Made it feel so much better to use. 

I know this is heresy, but i PREFER when shooters play well with a controller- like Borderlands 2. The feedback and trigger add sop much to the game for me. There are games, like ARMA 3 that just cant be played with a controller. That game is so complex and slowed down though, that i dont mind at all.

Warframe isnt a precision shooter, and parkour is a huge part of gameplay. To me its a controller game. I can easily do back flips and side flips, by sliding my thumbs. It feels more like an athletic maneuver using my hands than pecking at a keyboard.

Edited by Hypernaut1

Just now, AXCrusnik said:

I think it's pretty ridiculous to consider warframe not a shooter simply because it's in third person and doesn't hide the model for visibility because it's generally not much of an issue. It may have a lot more to it than guns, but guns are pretty fuckin prominent in this game.

I think it is pretty ridiculous to ignore 80% of the post in order to go for the PS, but here we are.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

nah im not getting defensive over anything im just saying that in regards to functionality pc and consoles are nearly identical. 

No they're not. 

In any way, almost ever... 

The code is different, networking is done differently, the computational power and the way it computes is entirely different. 

One thing that's quite cool, is consoles are classed as super computers because they run very different than a PC in a certain way that is reminiscent of old super computers.

They have different hard drive capabilities and technology, they have different CPU capabilities and tech, they have different styles of cooling, different setups of ram.

Consoles where originally intended as an interface to a computer but where separated and eventually made for gaming. Originally they where alot more powerful than average PC's due to computers being weak in the past, but now the PC market completely eclipses consoles in a way that a console will never be as powerful as a PC unless they straight up change their tech and make it more PC based, which will never be done because Sony is a massive d¡ck, and Microsoft don't really care... 

Then there's the whole software limits of consoles. They're entirely different to a PC and will never be able to run as fast or as well as a PC. Console players say that the newest ones can play at 4k 60fps.

Well guess what, PC's could do that years ago and now days can easily run games at 8k, 120fps. Whilst running 4k at a breezy 200fps in some games on some builds.

As for aiming, a mouse and keyboard is far superior. My console playing brother admitted that being able to type much faster and at more opertunities on PC is a godsend in rainbow six siege and many other games, and a mouse will always be superior to a controller because of its huge dpi variety and sensitivity options as well as being developed for higher fps play whilst controllers where made with games being at 30fps in mind.

The biggest difference imo between a console and a PC is the fps. That is a massive advantage in the PC world. But the second biggest difference imo is loading times.

Because consoles are stuck in the past and Sony at least, refuses to use SSD tech because they don't fully own it, mean that consoles are stuck with HDD tech and very slow loading times. 

I use Mouse and Keyboard. Half the time I'm on the wiki looking something up too. So alt-tabbing, ctrl-f, and mouse selection are mainstays. Now I'm wondering how a 360 controller stacks up. Got one to play around with my emulators. How's the power selection work with it?

21 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

If you have a decent controller your movement game will increase by a big margin.

I don't know what is with the "mah aiming skills", more than 95% of the Warframe player base is with around 30% accuracy and can't land more than 2-3% head shots without Arca Plasmor. 

Idk, I find it a billion times smoother, faster and more responsive to move with M/KB. Especially in warframe

1 minute ago, phoenix1992 said:

I think it is pretty ridiculous to ignore 80% of the post in order to go for the PS, but here we are.

I read it. It sounds pretty consistent with your post script. Warframe is "no CS:GO or anything like it." or  "a typical shooter"

I simply like trimming down my quotes if possible.

Keyboard and Mouse, though this game has elements of hack and slash, the shooter part still requires mouse and keyboard 
for aiming.

Also keyboard most likely have more keys for custom binding and faster while chatting.

I am not sure how is it with the parkour system, but keyboard and mouse seems fine.

I have my mouse wheel re-configured to rapid fire and rapid melee by scrolling, though you could emulate with turbo function, 
the scrolling is kind of manual, and slow scrolling can slow down high cyclic rate weapon while if you go fury + berserker on melee
the amount of button mashing can be tiring.

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

3 minutes ago, jackswift7 said:

I use Mouse and Keyboard. Half the time I'm on the wiki looking something up too. So alt-tabbing, ctrl-f, and mouse selection are mainstays. Now I'm wondering how a 360 controller stacks up. Got one to play around with my emulators. How's the power selection work with it?

my controller set up is unorthodox, but it works for me. i use the face buttons and bumpers for abilities. B to crouch/slide, and the D pad for transference, alt fire, weapon switching The default scheme uses a toggle menu or something, i didnt like it much.

i sit near my keyboard for chat though, and i use my keyboard for WPs. I also use it when im in my ship because menus with a controller is horrible. 

Edited by Hypernaut1

2 minutes ago, jackswift7 said:

Power selection is actually very easy.  This is coming from an Ivara main who uses all of her powers.  hehe.  I will admit that having the extra paddles on the Elite controller and changing the button config from default helps a lot.  

19 minutes ago, phoenix1992 said:

Warframe's pride is it's movement system. While It pains me to say it as a PC user that uses KBD+Mouse, doing a backflip in mid air is a painful task for KBD (it is enter bullet jump + aim + tap shift + tap direction which will most likely make you fall on your bum instead of doing the desired backfliip in most scenarios).

I find this extremely easy on pc and land it every single time. I think as someone else stared, 

Comfort is the biggest thing in warframe and for me at least, a m and KB feels way more comfortable 

Edited by Arniox

Just now, jackswift7 said:

I'll have to give the controller a shot. @DatDarkOne and @Hypernaut1. My left hand has been cramping a bit from all the bullet jumping and sliding. The plains really did a number on my hand. And as much as the event was fun, Plague Star made me hate bullet jumping. Half the time I end up just sprinting to extraction now.

Try rebind your KBD as well, dunno why currently we use ctrl as default bullet jump enabler, but if you move it to Q (and move the gear wheel to B for example), you will have a lot more ease.

1 minute ago, jackswift7 said:

I'll have to give the controller a shot. @DatDarkOne and @Hypernaut1. My left hand has been cramping a bit from all the bullet jumping and sliding. The plains really did a number on my hand. And as much as the event was fun, Plague Star made me hate bullet jumping. Half the time I end up just sprinting to extraction now.

To help you out a bit, here are my sensitivity settings in game for my controller.  It done so that I still have quick look speed, but more precision when using the aim button.  Also, you will want to turn off Aim assist as that will mess up your shots.  

2wU6MWo.jpg

8 minutes ago, jackswift7 said:

Try what phoenix1992 said. I personally use toggle crouch on C for bullet jump since I have bad pinkies that I rarely use for my keyboard. I find using toggle crouch made bullet jumping (and in the past, front flipping) so much easier.

On controller my setup is a bit wonky. I use the left and right stick press bindings for toggle crouch and jump respectively, which allows me to bullet jump, roll, etc, without removing my thumbs from movement and aiming controls.

Edited by AXCrusnik

11 minutes ago, (PS4)i7081277 said:

I think its kinda the opposite, and the only reason you would prolly play poorly while using a controller is because you don't know your way around it yet just like I am with key boards.

Analog sticks just limit your ability to aim/track in ways that make it impossible to replicate the same type of experience that you get using a mouse.  If a game focuses on precise aiming there really isn't any benefit to using a controller.  They're better for games where your inputs are more important e.g. fighting games.  Warframe doesn't really require complex enough inputs that there's a benefit to using a controller so all you really get out of it is impaired aiming.

5 minutes ago, Urabask said:

Warframe doesn't really require complex enough inputs that there's a benefit to using a controller so all you really get out of it is impaired aiming.

Some people think it's more comfortable on controller too.. TBH on top of the aiming thing I couldn't handle sacrificing all the extra key bindings at my fingertips thanks to my "MMO mouse". I have every last gear slot bound to a key for easy access.

Edited by AXCrusnik

Sooo much better on the hands if I can get the aiming down. I'll have to play around with the bindings though. For some reason I can't have Context action and Reload on the same button. Glad I checked this thread out. May end up liking this control scheme. Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

Edit: Want to echo the guy above me. Controller seems to be a little more comfortable to me. 

Edited by jackswift7

I've decided to post just what can be done while using a controller in Warframe on PC.  Please notice the weapons used and the Accuracy stat.

RXeHpFR.jpg

t2fzJGO.jpg

I only took those screenshots because I thought it was somewhat sad that I was able to get all gold in all categories except headshots which I missed by 2 points.  All while using the supposedly "inferior" controller.  :smile:  

Edited by DatDarkOne

12 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

I only took those screenshots because I thought it was somewhat sad that I was able to get all gold in all categories except headshots which I missed by 2 points.  All while using the supposedly "inferior" controller.

Technically you've got a bugged accuracy rating (iirc using multishot on a bow causes that) there but even if that wasn't true just using a soma or similar gun can result in low fire accuracy just because you're spraying the whole time.

Edited by Urabask

Just now, Urabask said:

Technically you've got a bugged accuracy rating there but even if that wasn't true just using a soma or similar gun can result in low fire accuracy just because you're spraying the whole time.

That accuracy is from using a Bow.  Bows have a tendency to do that when you kill multiple enemies in a line with one arrow.  It was something I researched a long time ago when I first noticed it.   

1 minute ago, DatDarkOne said:

That accuracy is from using a Bow.  Bows have a tendency to do that when you kill multiple enemies in a line with one arrow.  It was something I researched a long time ago when I first noticed it.   

This happens only if you use Cernos Prime, not with Rakta Cernos.

1 hour ago, Urabask said:

Analog sticks just limit your ability to aim/track in ways that make it impossible to replicate the same type of experience that you get using a mouse.  If a game focuses on precise aiming there really isn't any benefit to using a controller.  They're better for games where your inputs are more important e.g. fighting games.  Warframe doesn't really require complex enough inputs that there's a benefit to using a controller so all you really get out of it is impaired aiming.

I don't find that Warframe relies on precise aiming or tracking... At all. 

I get the whole "a mouse is more accurate" thing, I really do (Arma), but Warframe doesn't really need it. I play competitive shooters and sims with a mouse and I'm quite comfortable. Warframe strikes as more of an action game than a precision shooter. The parkour, meelee, bullet jumping just feels more smoother and intuitive in controller. For me, that's an advantage in a game like this. 

I will say that m&k is better in pvp for Warframe. The ability to seeing around and soon to land a headshot is vital. In pve I rarely need that sort of skill.