The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Players: Controller or M/KB?

Lattymoy

I've tried controller for warframe on pc and ps4, I just couldn't get used it, so I am sticking with Mouse and keyboard for pc; can't bother to get it supported for ps4, since I don't really play on it.

Lets just say I suck hardcore on any shooter type games with controller, I get owned by middle school niece and nephews on any shooter games when it comes to controllers, but it changes when it's mouse and keyboard, lol

Edited by saltygr33n

19 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Lol.... Really?

Yes, LoL, really. 

I play on both platforms, though admittedly not that much on the XB--it is an inferior experience there and a major reason why is the limitations of the controller.

The difference isn't just noticeable, it's night and day different. There really isn't a debate. You avatar is just far more controllable with a much higher degree of precision. I can do stuff better in less time. That makes all the difference. 

That's what it really comes down to: it's easier to do well with KB&M. The convenience and comfort of lolling about in a chair with your feet on the desk doesn't offset the loss in effectiveness--at least in Warframe. Warframe is still primarily a shooter and the ability to shoot better in the game is the bottom line.

Games like ES or FO are a different story and there I will use a controller since it's more convenient due to (lousy) UI navigation and things like VATS that allow you to sidestep the subpar aiming endemic to the small analogue stick. Also, their pacing is quite different and things don't get nearly so hectic as WF. 

I could go on about the differences in effectiveness in games like World of Tanks (and it's brobdingnagian), but it'd be repetitive and the outcome always the same: if precision is needed for aiming, KB&M is simply better. 

26 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

Yes, LoL, really. 

I play on both platforms, though admittedly not that much on the XB--it is an inferior experience there and a major reason why is the limitations of the controller.

The difference isn't just noticeable, it's night and day different. There really isn't a debate. You avatar is just far more controllable with a much higher degree of precision. I can do stuff better in less time. That makes all the difference. 

That's what it really comes down to: it's easier to do well with KB&M. The convenience and comfort of lolling about in a chair with your feet on the desk doesn't offset the loss in effectiveness--at least in Warframe. Warframe is still primarily a shooter and the ability to shoot better in the game is the bottom line.

Games like ES or FO are a different story and there I will use a controller since it's more convenient due to (lousy) UI navigation and things like VATS that allow you to sidestep the subpar aiming endemic to the small analogue stick. Also, their pacing is quite different and things don't get nearly so hectic as WF. 

I could go on about the differences in effectiveness in games like World of Tanks (and it's brobdingnagian), but it'd be repetitive and the outcome always the same: if precision is needed for aiming, KB&M is simply better. 

It's night and day difference to you maybe, but if we're playing the same mission in a sortie, youre not going to do better than me because of your 360 no scope skills. 

What can you do "better in less time"? Unless you're hitting pure headshots on every enemy, you're not outkilling a player comfortable with a controller. Instant Precision aiming isn't stripping armor or CCing any faster than me with a controller. You're not parkouring through a level faster than me, there's not much precision needed there either, and I can bullet jump combo as fast or faster than a keyboard without a macro.

The comfort of an ergodynamic designed  controller far outweighs any perceived "loss in effectiveness" if you know how to use a controller... Because there isn't no real loss in effectiveness.

The ability to shoot better in Warframe is FAR from the bottom line in this game. Warframe is much more about cc and abilities than it is about aiming fast and accurate. This isn't a sim where you're creeping through a corridor and need to react quick fast to an enemy trying to ambush you to kill them first or be killed. It's a horde game where you know well in advance where you are going to need to aim at with few surprises. 

12 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

It's night and day difference to you maybe, but if we're playing the same mission in a sortie, youre not going to do better than me because of your 360 no scope skills. 

What can you do "better in less time"? Unless you're hitting pure headshots on every enemy, you're not outkilling a player comfortable with a controller. Instant Precision aiming isn't stripping armor or CCing any faster than me with a controller. You're not parkouring through a level faster than me, there's not much precision needed there either, and I can bullet jump combo as fast or faster than a keyboard without a macro.

The comfort of an ergodynamic designed  controller far outweighs any perceived "loss in effectiveness" if you know how to use a controller... Because there isn't no real loss in effectiveness.

The ability to shoot better in Warframe is FAR from the bottom line in this game. Warframe is much more about cc and abilities than it is about aiming fast and accurate. This isn't a sim where you're creeping through a corridor and need to react quick fast to an enemy trying to ambush you to kill them first or be killed. It's a horde game where you know well in advance where you are going to need to aim at with few surprises. 

There are many mice out there that are designed to be ergonomic. I myself use the Zowie EC1-A.

1 minute ago, Legion-Shields said:

There are many mice out there that are designed to be ergonomic. I myself use the Zowie EC1-A.

That's ergodynamic for a mouse. All things being the same, you can't argue that a m&k is in any way more comfortable or more intuitive than a controller.

Using a keyboard just isn't a natural position, nor is being regulated to leaning forward over a desk. 

But I'm not trying to argue about what the better option is. My point is that the difference in this particular game is just down to preference. I'm at no disadvantage for 95% of this game with a controller. PvP and Lunaro is a different story.

22 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

for a mouse.

You'd be pleasantly surprised. If you ever get a chance to try this mouse out for yourself, you should.

Also, when I play using mouse and keyboard, I recline in my chair. It's really no different from using a controller in that sense. Maybe it's just my long arms.

Edited by Legion-Shields

Mouse and keyboard exclusively.  I do own a controller.  (I got it to try to play "They Bleed Pixels," an odd but interesting platformer type game.)  But it's not connected, and I'm actually not sure where I put it at the moment.  I would never even consider trying to play any form of shooter with a controller.

15 minutes ago, Legion-Shields said:

You'd be pleasantly surprised. If you ever get a chance to try this mouse out for yourself, you should.

Also, when I play using mouse and keyboard, I recline in my chair. It's really no different from using a controller in that sense. Maybe it's just my long arms.

I have an MMO mouse. Don't get me wrong, my m&k set up is rather comfortable, not more than just relaxing with a controller, but comfortable. I use m&k with arpgs, sims, RPGs, competitive shooters, etc. There is no way i would try to use a controller with those games, even if they allow it (like Divine Divinity or XCOM)

Edited by Hypernaut1

6 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Mouse and keyboard exclusively.  I do own a controller.  (I got it to try to play "They Bleed Pixels," an odd but interesting platformer type game.)  But it's not connected, and I'm actually not sure where I put it at the moment.  I would never even consider trying to play any form of shooter with a controller.

there are so many types of games that gamepads are much better suited for than a mouse. Platformers, fighting games, rpg's, racing games of any kind, flight games, etc... It's so strange to see how people so adamantly try to shoehorn gamepads into one of the very few game genres that mice are objectively better suited for. Though Warframe IS a special case in that it allows for playstyles that don't require shooting at all.

Edited by Legion-Shields

Mouse+keyboard for shooters and games that focus on fine aiming.

Controller for games like side scrollers, beat-em-ups, menu-based RPGs, and some third person hack n slash games.

Basically, any game that gives me a reticle = mouse+keyboard. There's a reason why many shooter games out there for consoles have an Aim Assist built in. No thanks if I can help it.

1 hour ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I will play better, assuming roughly equivalent warframes. I'll be on target sooner, I'll hit more, and I'll be hitting headshots in particular far more often than if I were using a controller. FAR more often. I've seen it. 

Movement doesn't see the same preponderance of advantage. Controllers are nice when high precision of movement is desirable; they have analog sticks after all, and can control speed in a very fine manner (as an aside, this is disadvantage in WoT). However, I can shift direction much faster (digital inputs) to avoid incoming fire and, again, be on target far faster with more accurate fire when it's called for. 

Sure, I can choose a warframe like Ember Prime and run an Ignis Wraith and do very well--possibly just as well--with a controller, but here you're making decisions of what loadout to equip just to avoid the disadvantages of the controller. 

I just came out of a game against high level corrupted playing NyxP using the SomaP as my primary. I can (and did) apply Chaos while under fire from bombards, then duck into the hamsterball just before a missile impacts (then shoot the offender in the head...a lot). I can't do this particularly well with a controller--not in the timeframe available. I can do it on demand with KB&M. You can say you can avoid these situations, but, again, you're having to compensate for the inferiority of the controller as compared to KB&M. You're limited in what you can do and have to make up for it elsewhere. 

I like controllers for some things in other types of games. Like them quite a bit. However, in this game they're not ideal and at a very real disadvantage. 

45 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

I will play better, assuming roughly equivalent warframes. I'll be on target sooner, I'll hit more, and I'll be hitting headshots in particular far more often than if I were using a controller. FAR more often. I've seen it. 

Movement doesn't see the same preponderance of advantage. Controllers are nice when high precision of movement is desirable; they have analog sticks after all, and can control speed in a very fine manner (as an aside, this is disadvantage in WoT). However, I can shift direction much faster (digital inputs) to avoid incoming fire and, again, be on target far faster with more accurate fire when it's called for. 

Sure, I can choose a warframe like Ember Prime and run an Ignis Wraith and do very well--possibly just as well--with a controller, but here you're making decisions of what loadout to equip just to avoid the disadvantages of the controller. 

I just came out of a game against high level corrupted playing NyxP using the SomaP as my primary. I can (and did) apply Chaos while under fire from bombards, then duck into the hamsterball just before a missile impacts (then shoot the offender in the head...a lot). I can't do this particularly well with a controller--not in the timeframe available. I can do it on demand with KB&M. You can say you can avoid these situations, but, again, you're having to compensate for the inferiority of the controller as compared to KB&M. You're limited in what you can do and have to make up for it elsewhere. 

I like controllers for some things in other types of games. Like them quite a bit. However, in this game they're not ideal and at a very real disadvantage. 

Lol.... Ok buddy. You are a WF god among controller users.  I'm afraid of you and you Soma P chaos. I'll just stick with with Ignis since I can't aim.

I prefer controller for comfort, but M+KB has superior function. Because the game is so acrobatic, it would naturally lend to better or more comfortable controller use, except that the input variety and action execution was designed for M+KB, so it would feel strange to do stuff with the button entries expected of this game.

They should offer an auto sprint that is canceled with a walk entry rather the the opposite, and the bullet jump and dodge could have been combine to prevent so many confusing inputs on controller, as it's laid out though, I would never want to hold down a joystick, or even repeatedly press it to sprint. And the input sharing is confusing on controller, I don't even like having roll and sprint combine on KB.

WF is a great game, but it's not all there in ergonomics. 

This was a big question for me to , I use Xbox One controller on pc but still use mouse on on spy mission for console at spy vault because it’s faster to click but game play wise I feel it’s easier because I never use the M KB combo, but one thing I will say is if your going to use any type of controller make sure it comes with usb fob  sometimes BT has connection issues it drops a lot on me