Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE’s stance on warframe assets for mods for other games

Slamminslug

I would contact support on this matter.

If it’s just a little mod for you to play with, I assume it would be okay. I have no idea how they would view it if it gets released to the public - there is potential for copyright issues. You could not make any money from it.

There was never any intent to profit from their work, for clarification. I have a support ticket open, but just came here for the time being as it’s been 2 days. Any kind of copyright bulletin they want posted will be, and i’ll probably end up putting links back to warframe’s main webpage on the mod description 

Edited by Slamminslug

There are two potential issues any company might have with someone else using their assets.

1. The person using them plans to profit off of them. This is not allowed, as it would imply that the company that owns the assets are not actively protecting their assets, which lapses the copyright. This would not apply in this case.
  2. The company that owns the assets is worried about the way in which their IP and associated assets are going to be portrayed. This would be the most likely reason the DE would deny your request.

Now, the fun begins when you realize that, even though they might not give you permission, you can still make the mod for personal use. If they give you permission in the future, you can then release the mod to the public. If they don't, you could still release it as long as you are certain it cannot be traced back to you without the use of a warrant or court order (as most companies are not willing to deal with all of the legal troubles involved with that), as DE's only real recourse would be to file a DMCA takedown request with the hosting site you put the mod on (probably Nexus), and while Nexus could take disciplinary action against your account for posting copyrighted content, you as a person are separate from your account, and no legal action would be taken against you directly.

Note, however, that this would still be a giant hassle that would most likely end up with your mod still not being public, so I would stick with personal use and forget about trying to release a Warframe-based mod publicly. Unless it's Minecraft, because I haven't heard of a single company that was capable of getting rid of a minecraft mod, considering how many different mod hosting sites there are, nor of a company that actually tried very hard.

Edited by -AoN-CanoLathra-

2 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

There are two potential issues any company might have with someone else using their assets.

1. The person using them plans to profit off of them. This is not allowed, as it would imply that the company that owns the assets are not actively protecting their assets, which lapses the copyright. This would not apply in this case.
  2. The company that owns the assets is worried about the way in which their IP and associated assets are going to be portrayed. This would be the most likely reason the DE would deny your request.

Now, the fun begins when you realize that, even though they might not give you permission, you can still make the mod for personal use. If they give you permission in the future, you can then release the mod to the public. If they don't, you could still release it as long as you are certain it cannot be traced back to you without the use of a warrant or court order (as most companies are not willing to deal with all of the legal troubles involved with that), as DE's only real recourse would be to file a DMCA takedown request with the hosting site you put the mod on (probably Nexus), and while Nexus could take disciplinary action against your account for posting copyrighted content, you as a person are separate from your account, and no legal action would be taken against you directly.

Note, however, that this would still be a giant hassle that would most likely end up with your mod still not being public, so I would stick with personal use and forget about trying to release a Warframe-based mod publicly. Unless it's Minecraft, because I haven't heard of a single company that was capable of getting rid of a minecraft mod, considering how many different mod hosting sites there are, nor of a company that actually tried very hard.

Even Try hard Nintendo?