Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oni the Gluttonous (ogre themed warframe) UPDATED ABILITIES AND LORE, ART INCLUDED

(XBOX)AxRollxOfxTape

Oni, the Ogre Frame

Appearance: Oni is a fairly large male warframe, with horns and spikes covering parts of his body. On Oni's stomach is a mouth like segment of armor that covers a small void warp hole used to swallow enemies and projectiles.

Art

The link is an updated version of the rough sketch.

http://imgur.com/gallery/YuetKZL

Here is a more final version of the warframe done by ChickenDrawsDogs

https://www.deviantart.com/chickendrawsdogs/art/Warframe-Idea-ONI-783160798

Lore

"Oni hungers for battle. Let him feast on all those who oppose you tenno." -Lotus 

During the late phases of The Old War, the Orokin were trying to experiment with void energy and how to properly weaponize it. That's when they discovered a way to create small wormholes that could transfer matter to the void, but the matter would be transformed into a toxic liquid when transported back. This development made all those involved believe the project was a failure, it was later realized that this could instead be used as a weapon within a warframe. Thus Oni was created, utilizing the new wormhole development and the existing warframe technology.

Basic quest line will involve exploring the void and finding old research notes on a warframe that uses small wormholes to send matter to and from the void. For completing the quest, the player will receive a blueprint of Oni and will now be able to get his component blueprints. All of Oni's component blueprints drop from corrupted enemies in void missions. 

Stats

Armor- 300

Health- 150 (350 max rank)

Shields- 100 (300 max rank)

Energy- 100 (150 max rank)

Sprint speed- 0.9

Abilities 

Passive- Digest: Oni has a gauge that measures how full his void stomach is. The gauge fills from 0-100. As the gauge fills Oni gains buffs according to its fullness. For each 10 stacks Oni gains 15% extra armor and 20% extra health (Max 150% armor and 200% health). Stacks drain at a 1 stack every 1.5 seconds and heals health at a rate of 5% health per stack. While at max stack, Oni will instead consume the 100th stack over a period of 7 seconds while still healing at a rate of 5% health per 1.5 seconds.

1- Consumption: Cost 20 energy to cast then drains 5 energy per second. The void warp hole on Oni's stomach is opened and will pull in any enemy projectiles that enter a 1.8/2.2/2.6/3 meter vertical radius in front of Oni. Enemies can be consumed as well if they are under 15% health. Each projectile that is consumed grants 1 stack, enemies grant 5 stacks. While using this ability, Oni's movement speed is reduced by 15%. Any enemies that linger within the range of Consumption will take 50/75/100/125 damage per second. 

2- Regurgitate: Costs 15 stacks to cast. Oni's void mouth opens and leaks a void infused slime in a 10/13/16/20 meter radius. Enemies that are caught in this area take corrosive damage 150/200/250/300 per second with a 100% status chance and are slowed by 25%. Allies that stand in the AOE gain an armor bonus of 100 and regen health at a rate of 3 per second. Allies only gain these buffs while standing in the area of effect. This ability lasts 10/15/20/25 seconds.

3- Scattered Slam: Costs 40 energy to cast. Oni summons his exalted mace and slams it into the ground. All enemies caught in a radius of 6/8/10/12 meters are knocked downed and stunned for 3/4/5/6 seconds. The impact of the mace deals 200/350/500/650 damage, 50% impact, 25% puncture, and 25% slash. Can be charged up to deal extra 10% damage per second its charged up, maximum of 5 seconds at a cost of 5 energy per second its charged. All enemies caught within range of this ability are marked with a cross over their heads, when consumed they grant 8 stacks and can be consumed at 20% health.

4- Carnage: Costs 30 energy to cast and drains 5 energy per second. Oni summons his exalted mace (similar to the maces Ogres are depicted with in old Japanese art). Oni's stomach opens and his vents release energy. In this state Oni gains increased movement speed of 45%. Kills in this form grant 1 stack. Oni is immune to status effects in this state and can't be knocked down. The mace will deal 175/250/325/400 damage on each swing. The damage is separate into 20% impact, 40% puncture, and 40% slash. When the mace makes contact with an enemy it sends off a small shock wave in a 4 meter radius of the target that will stun near by enemies. Slam attacks cast Oni's 3rd, Scattered Slam, at the cost 20 energy instead of 40.

Weapons

Protix: Primary Rifle with a revolver style drum

Accuracy- 27.8

Crit Chance- 15%

Crit Multiplier- 2.0

Fire Rate- 18.0

Magazine- 44 per shell (6 shells within revolver magazine, 264 rounds in full magazine)

Noise- Alarming

Punch Through- 0.0

Reload- 0.1 when switching to next shell, 2.0 when replacing magazine

Status- 28%

Trigger- Auto

Slash- 45.5

Impact- 7.0

Puncture- 17.5

Dual Kamraa: Dual lever style shotgun sidearms (primary fire/ secondary fire)

Accuracy- 100.0

Crit Chance- 12% / 33%

Crit Multiplier- 1.8 / 3.5

Fire Rate- 2.0

Magazine- 16 / 8

Noise- Alarming

Punch Through- 0.0 / 1.0

Reload- 1.5

Status- 30% / 15%

Trigger- Auto / Semi

Slash- 52.5 / 555.0

Impact- 122.25 / 42.0

Puncture- 35.25 / 113.0

Fisk: Heavy blade cleaver style sword

Attack Speed- 1.0

Channeling Cost- 5

Channeling Damage- 1.5

Crit Chance- 18%

Crit Multiplier- 2.0

Damage Block- 85%

Leap Attack- 140.0

Spin Attack- 149.0

Status- 28%

Wall Attack- 280.0

Slash- 67.3

Impact- 19.3

Puncture- 23.4

**Working on an alternate helmet and quest to be included.**

Looking for any and all input on my concept. Thank for viewing. 🙂

Edited by (XB1)AxRollxOfxTape
  • Like 6

Interesting idea, probably the most interesting I've seen so far and least like it duplicates an existing niche.  I get the impression he's intended more as a tough, heavy hitter, but which requires active "play" to fuel and gain benefit from his powers (like Harrow is an "active" support, this is kinda like an "active" tank?). The first power reads a little like Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of how it consumes things, at least that's how the described visuals come across to me!

I would be tempted to suggest that "Digest" should be the actual passive, and the principle of the Void Stomach is more like his equivalent of Nidus' mutation stacks - the passive causes the energy stored inside to decay over time, but restores health as it does so (slowly).  This makes for a potentially easier to balance passive, which then requires active management by the player to gain benefit from it and so is more "interesting" to gameplay.  This then opens up use of powers 2/3/4 to use the consumed energy to fuel abilities, which is more than the traditional 50/50 split they've done with say, Nidus...but I'm not sure that matters!

Other thoughts that might fit:

• Consumption - Absorbing damage/bullets instead of enemies makes it an interesting combination of Harrow/Covenant (Up to 100% incoming damage absorbed while channelling, can't move, gains stomach energy up to some limit before it ends, channelled power so consumes energy automatically until you run, deactivate it, or have "had your fill").  Converts to Consumption energy
  • Growth - Feels to me more like a "Channel to gain bonus, uses Consumption energy" kind of power to my mind, and might fit better as an armour bonus/health bonus that applies to himself and allies who are within affinity range while it's being channelled (you gain bonus while you're in affinity range AND it's being channelled, if you dip in and out you'll only gain some of the total bonus based on what you get while inside the range).
  • Regurgitate - the converted void energy contents of his "stomach" pour out of his mouth, dealing (corrosive? toxic?) damage to enemies and healing allies, uses Consumption energy. Augments could leave a lingering effect on the ground to add to this power
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)Voidkraken said:

Interesting idea, probably the most interesting I've seen so far and least like it duplicates an existing niche.  I get the impression he's intended more as a tough, heavy hitter, but which requires active "play" to fuel and gain benefit from his powers (like Harrow is an "active" support, this is kinda like an "active" tank?). The first power reads a little like Gluttony from Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of how it consumes things, at least that's how the described visuals come across to me!

I would be tempted to suggest that "Digest" should be the actual passive, and the principle of the Void Stomach is more like his equivalent of Nidus' mutation stacks - the passive causes the energy stored inside to decay over time, but restores health as it does so (slowly).  This makes for a potentially easier to balance passive, which then requires active management by the player to gain benefit from it and so is more "interesting" to gameplay.  This then opens up use of powers 2/3/4 to use the consumed energy to fuel abilities, which is more than the traditional 50/50 split they've done with say, Nidus...but I'm not sure that matters!

Other thoughts that might fit:

• Consumption - Absorbing damage/bullets instead of enemies makes it an interesting combination of Harrow/Covenant (Up to 100% incoming damage absorbed while channelling, can't move, gains stomach energy up to some limit before it ends, channelled power so consumes energy automatically until you run, deactivate it, or have "had your fill").  Converts to Consumption energy
  • Growth - Feels to me more like a "Channel to gain bonus, uses Consumption energy" kind of power to my mind, and might fit better as an armour bonus/health bonus that applies to himself and allies who are within affinity range while it's being channelled (you gain bonus while you're in affinity range AND it's being channelled, if you dip in and out you'll only gain some of the total bonus based on what you get while inside the range).
  • Regurgitate - the converted void energy contents of his "stomach" pour out of his mouth, dealing (corrosive? toxic?) damage to enemies and healing allies, uses Consumption energy. Augments could leave a lingering effect on the ground to add to this power

Thanks for the suggestions, I've changed some things around of the op using some of your ideas. :) 

Holy hell I like this:

strong points:

stack system that rewards usage

allows for major defensive buffing

weak points:

1 stack every second seems like a stretch, then again everything would be shooting unless your on infested

other than that, can't wait for what this entails

• Like 1

On 21/01/2018 at 4:21 AM, highisaac123 said:

Holy hell I like this:

strong points:

stack system that rewards usage

allows for major defensive buffing

weak points:

1 stack every second seems like a stretch, then again everything would be shooting unless your on infested

other than that, can't wait for what this entails

The 1 stack loss per second is to sorta balance his insane buffs, and to keep the player moving constantly. The idea is to keep feeding him constantly otherwise he'll digest everything and lose his buffs. I think anything higher then this would almost throw off the balance a little bit.

Edited by (XB1)AxRollxOfxTape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the art concept, and the idea...but none of your abilities make me think oni demon. They make me think of a gluttony demon, a demon who can never not be hungry etc.Kinda an odd twist to go with. Overall its still an interesting idea. perhaps though, you should save that awesome oni art for an oni themed character? :D might makes right kinda style ^_^

6 minutes ago, Okamibanshu88 said:

I love the art concept, and the idea...but none of your abilities make me think oni demon. They make me think of a gluttony demon, a demon who can never not be hungry etc.Kinda an odd twist to go with. Overall its still an interesting idea. perhaps though, you should save that awesome oni art for an oni themed character? :D might makes right kinda style ^_^

Well it's an ogre and an oni themed frame, the name is just something I threw on it because I honestly didn't have anything better. It's just a combination of the two ideas into one, I think it helped fill in the gaps both ideas didn't cover without copy and paste abilities.

11 hours ago, (XB1)AxRollxOfxTape said:

Well it's an ogre and an oni themed frame, the name is just something I threw on it because I honestly didn't have anything better. It's just a combination of the two ideas into one, I think it helped fill in the gaps both ideas didn't cover without copy and paste abilities.

Honesty i'd be more in line with the Deadly Sin Eater or something for a name :D you have a bigger play off that then you do Oni, which is a shame, because i was really hopeful when i saw this :P i myself dont' know much about teh oni, but i do know they aren't glutonous in this regard at least :D

11 hours ago, Okamibanshu88 said:

Honesty i'd be more in line with the Deadly Sin Eater or something for a name :D you have a bigger play off that then you do Oni, which is a shame, because i was really hopeful when i saw this :P i myself dont' know much about teh oni, but i do know they aren't glutonous in this regard at least :D

Its about interpretation, I'm not scrapping my concept due the fact in Japanese folklore Oni's weren't gluttons. And also, as I said before the name is just something I put on it for the sake of it having a name, it's an ogre/oni themed warframe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still looking for feedback and what not. I like to think that my concept has a lot of potential and it seems that there's other out there that do as well, but this post isn't going to get anywhere without the help of others. So please, if you can comment and upvote if you like the concept. If you see any problems with anything please leave suggestions and we can start a dialogue on fixing anything that could be wrong or made better. Thank you.

Definitely a unique and interesting concept. I like it. I'm not going to sit here and crunch numbers to check if the values are balanced, but the abilities themselves all sound good. Only thing is, when dealing with infested, he will be at a significant disadvantage since he seems to rely primarily on being shot at to fuel most of his abilities and passive.

Perhaps consumption should also deal gas damage to enemies within its radius? This wouldn't do much to most enemies, but would do quite well against infested, helping to keep up a solid "eating" rate to replace the loss of bullets to absorb. Speaking of the radius, it's a bit unclear. It says 3 meter vertical radius, but I think you meant horizontal? I think this could be reworded as "a 45° cone extending 3 meters from Oni." 

The armor bonus to allies from Regurgitate would probably be better as a flat amount rather than a percentage. A percentage is fantastic for frames that already have high armor. But for frames who have, say, 75 armor and lower, a percentage doesn't really help them. If it were like a flat +100 armor and was affected by power strength mods, it would be more useful for everyone.

His third ability sounds like just a reskin of Rhino's Stomp. I feel like this could be improved or changed, though off the top of my head I don't have any recommendations.

Also, the term Void Stomach isn't really working for me. Void Maw sounds cooler imo, and makes a bit more sense in reference to the artwork.

I think his base stats may need adjusting. Since he gains such significant buffs from his passive and abilities, having the base stats too high could prove to be a bit overpowered. Difficult to tell without being able to playtest him though lol.

Someone else mentioned that they weren't sure the name fits his abilities. I don't know anything about oni mythology, so can't comment on that, but a possible alternate name would be Wendigo. I had done some digging on wendigo mythology and tried to make a frame based on hunger/feeding/etc much like yours but scrapped it before ever posting. You've got a solid concept here though and the name would fit his hunger theme. However, it wouldn't match the concept art that you already have, and it would mean ditching the exalted mace bit of his abilities. So might be too much of a change from your own intent for this frame.

Final thing: do you happen to know if the artist who did your concept art is available to do more?