Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

AMD Radeon HD entire thread problem (7850 here)

Ikedo

Hello

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 graphics card. From the beggining of playing Warframe I've had constant problems with it.

I am pretty sure the problem is with drivers. I've installed clean version of drivers like 5 times (used guru 3d to remove older divers in safe mode). It was ok with version 17.1 or 17.2, but since I decided to update to 17.1.4, everything was awful again. I went back to previous drivers, but no luck and sometimes I get terrible lags, until I reboot game and AMD software again.

To Radeon graphics card owners: which drivers have you got installed and are fine for you?

I have 17.1.1 and only on lowest settings, when I boot a fresh process of drivers software, and go to AMD overdrive profile of Warframe and boot from there - this is the only way to avoid lags.. Plus I have tesselation settings off and card overclocked, and power limit +20% and fan speed 70% (default is 20%..smh)

It's OK and I can live with it, but lowest graphic settings, when this isn't a low-end graphics card.. Plus the problem with lags if I don't play the game with AMD crimson software, with restarted process of this software (otherwise, if I do have computer on for a long while and run software from there, lags are very common and game is unplayable).

I used to play with high graphs without lags with different ver of software, so I know it's possible. But on Cetus and relay, the card activity dropped to 0%, hence the lags. The card doesn't run at it's full specs with this degraded software. I'd get these lags on mentioned locations, if I improved in-game graphics settings even to medium. Even if I restarted game aftet doing so.

I'd like to know what to do with this situation, so the card can run for what's it's made for.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with performance, however the HD 7850 is a very old video card that even when it was new was a mid-range card. The newest drivers for the 7850 are the WHQL 17.12.1 or the non-WHQL 18.1.1 so I'd give them a try.

That said card activity is not always a good way to diagnose problems with AMD cards as even though I forget the specifics they often won't be able to report usage to Windows in a way it understands because of how they handle some tasks. This isn't to say there is anything wrong with AMD because there isn't, it just means that usage isn't always going to be a sign of an issue.

Without knowing about what processes are running and other configuration details it can be hard to pinpoint issues as a lot of problems are bespoke to someones particular setup config. However with such an old graphics card I think it is reasonable to assume other older specs, older quad-core CPUs along with 8GB or less system memory will struggle to keep up if there is any multitasking going on (ie Watching/Streaming Twitch/Youtube). Specific Warframe settings I would recommend are turning off 64-bit as well as possibly DX11 and/or DX10 in the launchers cog options

I know that you would like to keep using what you have but ultimately it isn't enough now to get beyond the starting gate, Warframe is not the same game from launch as new effects, new tilesets, new everything have been added over the years not to mention Windows and Browser creep. It is a difficult position to be in as both GPU and RAM prices are through the roof but I doubt there is much that can be done without upgrading the entire system.

Here's hoping it turns out better sooner! =]

Edited by incontrovertible

I have a 6850 on a core 2 duo machine and i'm running the game above this players graphical options, so like he said, something isn't working right because if i can run it decently and in a playable way, he shouldn't have any issues.

Can OP provide info on other specs? (like cpu or ram)

Can OP please test another game or 2 to see if they have also suffered any impact on fps.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, Ikedo said:

I used to play with high graphs without lags with different ver of software, so I know it's possible. But on Cetus and relay, the card activity dropped to 0%, hence the lags. The card doesn't run at it's full specs with this degraded software. I'd get these lags on mentioned locations, if I improved in-game graphics settings even to medium. Even if I restarted game aftet doing so.

Speaking specifically for the Relays (and Cetus), these are likely cases where you are going to want a more powerful CPU. A good way to test this theory is to enter Cetus, and if you notice your game is running poorly, aim your camera directly at the ground. If it is still running poorly, and your GPU usage is low, then it likely isn't your GPU that is struggling -- since it's just going to be drawing a ground texture. If you would like to try reducing your CPU usage, then the best course of action would be to enter a "calm" instance of Cetus instead of a busy one.

That's not to say we don't intend on improving CPU performance wherever possible, but your GPU might not be the one struggling here. Also, if you haven't already, you might also want to try clicking verify and optimize under "Download Cache" in the Warframe launcher.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

Ironic seeing as I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7870 on Catalyst 14.4 driver's (yeah I know it's old, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.) and I can get 50 - 60 fps in Cetus. The only time I have an issue is when there's a ton of people grouped into one location and my fps drops to about 30 or so but looking away usually helps.

On 30.01.2018 at 5:33 PM, Rhundis said:

Ironic seeing as I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 7870 on Catalyst 14.4 driver's (yeah I know it's old, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.) and I can get 50 - 60 fps in Cetus. The only time I have an issue is when there's a ton of people grouped into one location and my fps drops to about 30 or so but looking away usually helps.

What graphics settings are you on? I can eventually find those drivers and install them

Really it's very ironic. I feel like on medium graphic's my card's getting butchered. I couldn't make a step on Cetus and relay too.

For a while I used to play on high in missions and it was fine (better look because of the resolution). But as I mentioned it was diff drivers that aren't working the same way now as I reinstalled them. I miss it :P

On 30.01.2018 at 5:42 PM, -_Highlander_- said:

Did you trying to disable V-sync aswell 

in-game as in the control panel 

:satisfied::thumbup:

Thanks I'll try that

Edited by Ikedo

16 hours ago, Ikedo said:

What graphics settings are you on? I can eventually find those drivers and install them

Really it's very ironic. I feel like on medium graphic's my card's getting butchered. I couldn't make a step on Cetus and relay too.

For a while I used to play on high in missions and it was fine (better look because of the resolution). But as I mentioned it was diff drivers that aren't working the same way now as I reinstalled them. I miss it :P

I play on High/Med with some things like motion blur and bloom turned off. Mostly for my preference and V-sync on, because I hate screen tearing.

And while my card is considered old by today's standard I spared no expense for my ram cards or my processor. (Don't ask me what they are I'm on mobile and I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Also I should mention that I don't get a constant 60 fps. It fluctuates between 60 and 49, the lower end in high traffic areas.

21 hours ago, Rhundis said:

I play on High/Med with some things like motion blur and bloom turned off. Mostly for my preference and V-sync on, because I hate screen tearing.

And while my card is considered old by today's standard I spared no expense for my ram cards or my processor. (Don't ask me what they are I'm on mobile and I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Also I should mention that I don't get a constant 60 fps. It fluctuates between 60 and 49, the lower end in high traffic areas.

Yeah I know this graphics cards were good.. except for the software offered by the producer. This is the reason why I'll never buy cards from AMD ever again. People got their brand new cards burned due to their software configuration. (low fan speed)

Did you change anything in AMD overdrive? Like power control, fan speed and/or gpu and memory clock?

I'm a bit scared of changing current drivers, that are OK on low settings. But I'll do and let you know what's changed. I'm glad there's still hope that the game will look better than that.  I also play on highest resolution (1920x1080) so the quality is still fine. But there was even better and visible difference of texture resolution on highest settings that I used to play with. For a nowadays game, it looks worse than 2013 games. -_- It looks visibly pixelated on low settings, that's why I was upset, because I know the card can do better than this.

Edited by Ikedo

7 hours ago, Ikedo said:

Yeah I know this graphics cards were good.. except for the software offered by the producer. This is the reason why I'll never buy cards from AMD ever again. People got their brand new cards burned due to their software configuration. (low fan speed)

Did you change anything in AMD overdrive? Like power control, fan speed and/or gpu and memory clock?

I'm a bit scared of changing current drivers, that are OK on low settings. But I'll do and let you know what's changed. I'm glad there's still hope that the game will look better than that.  I also play on highest resolution (1920x1080) so the quality is still fine. But there was even better and visible difference of texture resolution on highest settings that I used to play with. For a nowadays game, it looks worse than 2013 games. -_- It looks visibly pixelated on low settings, that's why I was upset, because I know the card can do better than this.

Everything is stock on my card, no changes. Only thing that would change anything is using High performance mode through windows power settings.