Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Non-Bullet Sponge Mobs You're Looking For

notionphil

EDITED - some ideas stemming from discussion added

Seems like every third post in this forum is calling for 'better' difficulty, not enemies with more hp/armor. However, I don't see much explanation about why the current enemies aren't 'good', nor what we could do to change them (besides reduce stun-lock and remove the grineer commander).

I think the reason why the mobs are boring to fight is that you defeat every single mob in the game in one of two ways.

1) if they are heavily armored, shoot their weak spot (head for 95% of mobs)
2) if they are not heavily armored, shoot them anywhere

Nothing requires any sort of skill or strategy, with the minor exception of boss mobs (debatable).

So...I had some interesting ideas for enemies from each faction which would either interact with the player/the world/other enemies in order to create interesting gameplay scenarios. These enemies would increase difficulty not by simply having high health (though they all will be able to withstand a direct hit from any ult), but by requiring strategy or teamwork in order to defeat. None of them would have cheap shots or unavoidable death/stunlock etc. If they kill you, it would be because you made a mistake. If you kill them, it would be because you outwitted/outmatched them - not overpowered them.

*Some of these mobs would spawn weaker varieties in Solo mode, which wouldn't require teamwork to defeat. Noted below.

They are considerably more challenging than existing enemies, so they'd be more of mini-bosses. They'd probably have a 5% chance of spawning per 'grouping'...so maybe 1 per mission or so on avg. I'd also suggest that they taunt players with messages when they spawn, similar to bosses or stalker. They should each have unique names which appear before their enemy type. EX: Fenrig - Grineer Judicator

Grineer Judicator - The Grineer's current problem is that, despite being a militarized force, they have zero tactics or organization. They tend to slowly stream small squads in your general direction which you can quickly dispatch. The Judicator fixes that problem by calling out squad wide commands that all grineer in earshot obey.

The judicator will give a 5 or so second warning before his commands are issued by sending a message like 'Listen up troops!' He'll generally tell the Grinner to focus fire on the most damaging Frame. Or may tell them to take cover and heal up if they are taking heavy losses. They'll then all use their stimpaks (when he's around, they all have those).

The Judicator is dressed in shielded robes and unarmed, but has a knockback attack similar to the Heavy Gunner's pulse, which he can use only on enemies that approach from the front. He has a life-link ability that looks like the corpus drones - any damage dealt to any troops in his immediate vicinity will instead be passed to a single ally within range. That means AOE nukes only take one enemy out. When he's knocked down, however, the ability is turned off.

Organizes Grineer Squads
-life link among troops
-issues room-wide orders
-causes troops to self heal
-knockback frames that approach from front

*Solo Version - Grineer Judge (no self healing for troops, no knockback from front)

Grineer Siren - Grinner have a bad habit of sending a boy (or girl) to do a (wo)man's job - their front-line melee troops seem to be their least robust. Not anymore. The Grineer Siren is a fearless female melee troop trained from birth to live and die in battle. They rely on genetically enhanced reflexes and implants to deflect most incoming projectiles (just like the warframe's block button), sending a portion of them back at the shooter.

The Siren wants to engage you in melee combat with her polearm, capable of rendering knockdowns with a telegraphed charged spin attack. After she knocks a Frame down, she celebrates with a Piercing shout, which negates ANY lingering power in the area (bastille, world on fire, snow globe, anything).

However, her ferocity is her weakness - when she's engaged in melee combat she can no longer block projectiles, so she becomes a sitting duck. She'll continue to melee as long as someone is meleeing her - otherwise she'll likely flee once wounded to go recover her HP/shields.

Disrupts entrenched warframes
-reflects projectiles back at shooter, unless engaged in melee
-telegraphed AOE knockdown melee attack
-if AOE succeeds in hitting a Frame, she canceles any active powers in immediate viscinity

*solo version - Grinner Stinger (no power canceling scream, blocks only MOST damage from ranged attacks, reflects a small % instead of a high %)

Corpus Bastion - Ahh the Corpus. Capable of creating autonomus AI, dominating intersellar commerce and inventing superheated plasma weaponry. Incapable of not running headlong into the spinning barrels of a Gorgon whenever they get the chance.

The Corpus Bastion is the answer to Corpus Crewman's stupidity and general combat ineffectiveness. Crewmen are obviously not properly geared or trained soldiers - they're the equivalent of handing out guns to tourists on a cruise ship and saying "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes!".

The Bastion is a mobile offensive+defensive station designed to even the odds - It's essentially a larger version of Volt's electric shield with a three barreled railgun mounted in the center. It fits inside a small suitcase, and when thrown to the ground (by a Corpus) it automatically deploys. Any Crewman can pick the suitcase up and try to deploy it. Crewman will flock behind it for cover and operate the gun, while Moas will ignore it and head towards the enemy (and certain death, as usual).

The railgun fires in bursts of 6, once per minute, with a LOUD warning siren and light 5 seconds prior to firing. It is the exact same gun that the Railgun moa uses. It is possible, (as with the Railgun Moa) that it will one shot you, unless you find cover or use parkour. When it's deactivated via damage, it simply folds back into the suitcase shape, awaiting the next Crewman brave enough to come and get it. It will prioritize Frames over cryopod, so if it's spinning up, get out there and parkour or the mission is over.

That is, unless you get to it first, deactivate it, and smash the suitcase with ground melee attacks. Oh, and if a Corpus Tech gets behind the Bastion - it doubles the fire rate. They can also repair damaged Bastion cases.

Ongoing Offensive/Defensive Strategy for Corpus
-deployed anywhere, by any crewman who reaches suitcase
-fires telegraphed bursts from powerful Railgun
-must be destroyed by melee, or can be reused
-Techs increase its power, or can repair the suitcase

Corpus Hulk - Obviously, MOA's weren't the first run of corpus proxies. They are very 2.0. The Hulk was their messy, morally reprehensible predacessor. Take a Crewman who happened to walk infront of a Gorgon, and wire his still pulsating brain into a MOA the size of a small elepahant - that's a Hulk.

Hulks are 9 foot tall, boxier MOAs with a Crewman's brain hardwired to the roof. Like all well-designed monstrous walkers, the brain is visible from the top of the Hulk, which is tall enough so that only jump melee or shots from elevated angles have a chance to reach it. Hulks are equipped with a Supra on one hand and a flamer or railgun on the other. They fire the entire clip of the supra until it's empty, then use the flamer/railgun sparingly, while the supra reloads (for 20 seconds or so).

Of course - Hulks are 99% resistant to damage anywhere except their squishy brain.

Any jump melee or jump kick to the Hulk's upper back will cause them to kneel over, exposing the brain for a few seconds of gory, satisfying fun. Extended damage to their legs will also cause them to kneel, a la Jackal.

However, the best, and surest way to kill a Hulk is to jump on top of it, from behind, which allows you to climb on its shoulders, and use a ground melee finisher directly on the brain. This is generally only possible while it is firing its Supra, and is thus stationary.

*Solo Variety - Corpus Husk (unit is very slow to turn, brain is visible from back side of unit and can be shot directly, knocking over still stuns unit).

Massive Offensive Unit
-nearly immune to damage except one spot

-powerful supra-like chaingun
-must be flanked or climbed on to defeat

...Coming Soon ...

Infested Breeder - Strategic Mobile Defensive/Support Unit

-Spreads 'larvae' substance we see in infested maps (larvae can be removed/killed by attacks).

-Larvae gives infested killed on it a % to be reborn and a speed boost

-Does not approach player, has goal of spreading larvae to player's location

Infested Homunculous- ranged flying damage unit

-Small unit that enters and then 'posesses' other infested (or any NPC faction), turning them into an agile flying ranged unit 

-Upon death, players have 5 seconds to fully gib body with ground melee, or &*$$nculous escapes and flees to another host

Edited by notionphil

I like what you have thought of and i agree it would be great to see these ideas put into action in some of the higher areas, maybe from saturn on??????   

I would also see boss fights be more interesting there a little lack luster. I enjoyed Jackel the most i know he is an early boss but hey cant help it. 

Seems like every third post in this forum is calling for 'better' difficulty, not enemies with more hp/armor. However, I don't see much explanation about why the current enemies aren't 'good', nor what we could do to change them (besides reduce stun-lock and remove the grineer commander).

That's because the problem currently isn't that the enemies suck.

It's the ridiculous health/armour/resistance scaling compared to damage, which causes combat to boil down to "riddle enemies with bullets until they die, and avoid being hit, ever" at higher levels. It's also about how stupid enemies are; the closest they come to "tactics" is calling in more units to rain down bullets, and hiding when reloading and stuff.

Although, that said:

Grineer Siren - Grinner have a bad habit of sending a boy (or girl) to do a (wo)man's job - their front-line melee troops seem to be their least robust. Not anymore. The Grineer Siren is a fearless female melee troop trained from birth to live and die in battle. They rely on genetically enhanced reflexes and implants to deflect most incoming projectiles (just like the warframe's block button), sending a portion of them back at the shooter.

The Siren wants to engage you in melee combat with her polearm, capable of rendering knockdowns with a telegraphed charged spin attack. After she knocks a Frame down, she celebrates with a Piercing shout, which negates ANY lingering power in the area (bastille, world on fire, snow globe, anything).

However, her ferocity is her weakness - when she's engaged in melee combat she can no longer block projectiles, so she becomes a sitting duck. She'll continue to melee as long as someone is meleeing her - otherwise she'll likely flee once wounded to go recover her HP/shields.

Disrupts entrenched warframes

-reflects projectiles back at shooter, unless engaged in melee

-telegraphed AOE knockdown melee attack

-if AOE succeeds in hitting a Frame, she canceles any active powers in immediate viscinity

Jesus christ, that would be a pain in the &#! to play against in solo. Grineer surrounding you, shooting? Well, too bad, you have to engage this enemy in melee or she'll knock you down and disable any active powers.

I so love this

And already I hear mates coordinating for those! 

The Inquisitor (maybe Corpus)

-appears as huge, permashielded Corpus (new model required)

-must be incapacitated energy wise before his permashield drops

-to incapacitate, maybe climb his back / head and cut some cables / xy.

-after incapacitation, his outer shell (permashield) drops, revealing a more exposed exo-unit beneath. Now has weakspots (several, random spots)

-uses aoe electrical attacks (spheres, chains, beams with puncture), but moves slowly

-after incapacitation, attacks get fiercer and he begins to berserk (faster walk, sick screaming :D )

That's because the problem currently isn't that the enemies suck.

It's the ridiculous health/armour/resistance scaling compared to damage, which causes combat to boil down to "riddle enemies with bullets until they die, and avoid being hit, ever" at higher levels. It's also about how stupid enemies are; the closest they come to "tactics" is calling in more units to rain down bullets, and hiding when reloading and stuff.

Although, that said:

Jesus christ, that would be a pain in the &#! to play against in solo. Grineer surrounding you, shooting? Well, too bad, you have to engage this enemy in melee or she'll knock you down and disable any active powers.

sounds to be a good challange please put it in game, +1

Her knockdown is like the Shockwave Moa. Telegraphed. Just jump or roll away.

But anyway, to your point, I imagine these mobs for co-op play. They shouldn't appear in solo except nightmare or something of that nature.

then melee and let your ally kill her. as i said, co-op.

one issue with this game is that it's basically 4 single players in a mission. nothing requires teamwork. These mobs do.

Even in Mass Effect 3, which explicitly has no solo mode, there were no mobs that 'required teamwork' in the same sense you're saying. Also, solo players should be given 100% of the content, instead of being bored when half the enemies don't show up.

Maybe enemies have different stats in solo and co-op, that's one thing. An enemy invulnerable from the front in solo might turn significantly slower or something. But an enemy that's just outright 'man, screw you, stop soloing' is silly.

Also, what happens if your teammate gets himself downed due to bad luck/whatever? You can no longer salvage the situation. It now becomes a fail pile, where you still have to play but you cannot succeed. Fail piles lead to ragequits. Ragequits are bad.

Even in Mass Effect 3, which explicitly has no solo mode, there were no mobs that 'required teamwork' in the same sense you're saying. Also, solo players should be given 100% of the content, instead of being bored when half the enemies don't show up.

Maybe enemies have different stats in solo and co-op, that's one thing. An enemy invulnerable from the front in solo might turn significantly slower or something. But an enemy that's just outright 'man, screw you, stop soloing' is silly.

Also, what happens if your teammate gets himself downed due to bad luck/whatever? You can no longer salvage the situation. It now becomes a fail pile, where you still have to play but you cannot succeed. Fail piles lead to ragequits. Ragequits are bad.

So what if ME3 had no mobs that required teamwork. Dozens of games do. Are you trying to make this into ME3 specifically? I'm not, I just want it to be good.

Yes, I agree about nerfing mobs for solo mode though, just takes extra dev resources to account for that.

Also - note that none of these mobs would be impossible to solo - just more difficult (if not nerfed). You could melee the Siren to death in solo. Or you could shoot her once she's in melee range of you, and after being severly wounded she start to run, in which case you could follow her and attempt to kill her before she heals.

Interesting units. It's rare to find some actual constructive suggestions regarding enemies, so here's some feedback.

JUDICATOR

While the concept is nice, I don't think the Judicator is necessary. Instead, the role should be given to the existing Commander. I mean, what kind of Commander is he right now? "I am the leader of my troops, and they depend on my strategical planning to achieve victory. Hmm, I know, I shall switch teleport with one of those Tenno! They'll NEVER see it coming!" 3 seconds later the teleported Tenno casts ult and the Commander ends up right in front of the three other Tenno. GG.

I'd like the Commander to be more like the Nomads in Borderlands 2. Remove their highly situational and always annoying Switch Teleport and make them shout orders to surrounding Grineer instead. Example orders:

"THROW GRENADES!" *all nearby Grineers with nades will toss at players in unison. run, Forest, run!*

"CHARGE!" *all nearby Grineers ignore cover and zerg rush target player to flush him out of cover*

"THAT'S A FAKE, YOU DIMWITS!" *response to decoy skills. nearby Grineers ignore Decoy/Moult and try to shoot the real deal*

"FOCUS FIRE!" *response to buffs like Iron Skin. nearby Grineers focus fire on one target*

"TAKE COVER!/TEMPORARY RETREAT!" *response to defensive skills like Snow Globe/Electric Shield. nearby Grineer will stop shooting and hide behind cover to make it at least harder for the Tenno to shoot them until skill wears off*

This would be a method of increasing enemy AI to make the fight more interesting, as well as making the Commander less of a simple nuisance and more a serious threat that you want to hunt down quickly, not to mention this way Commanders actually, y'know, COMMAND.

SIREN

I'm a little "meh" on this one. I mean, being able to disrupt skills with a single shout sounds kinda stupid, and the Grineer already have a significant amount of melee units. I'd rather they tweak the 4 existing light melee units instead of adding a new one. For example, giving sawmen their buzzsaws back (glass cannon fodder with loud buzzsaw sound tell), giving flameblades a flaming cleaver, buffing powerfist (tough shields that drain when they wind-up their fist. more shields = more damage. shields regen quickly after swing. faster wind-up, but add crackling sound when charging up their POWERfist as tell.), and re-doing the scorpion (A LOT to explain, i'll write in a different reply if anyone's interested.) Now, a HEAVY mini-boss-class melee unit like my Grineer Juggernaut would be interesting, but that's for another reply, like the Scorpion re-make.

BASTION

The Bastion seems....a tad OP. No one really likes insta-kill attacks, unless they're from a boss-class unit, and that's with major tells first (i.e. the Jackal's insta-gib grenades teeter on the line, if they made the grenades themselves more visible it'll be a perfectly fair insta-gibber). Plus, with Warframe being as supposedly fast-paced as it is, having a "fires once every minute" turret seems useless. I bet in practice the Bastion will be torn apart within the 5 second "gun priming" period 90% of the time.

HULK

Interesting on paper, but something like that would be VERY hard to implement. Sounds like it would require tons of programming. And if the Hulk gets a Supra, then the Tech should be given a Flux Rifle instead (explained lore-wise as usually being used as a welding laser. he IS a "Technician" afterall.) Still an interesting idea for a mini-boss though.

BREEDER

The Breeder sounds kinda...useless. It's just a stationary unit that doesn't even actually attack, and non-Ancient infested are squishy enough that even if they are revived by the breeder creep they'd still be gunned down again near instantly. Plus, clearing away creep sounds annoying.

HOMUNCULOUS

Like the Hulk, it sounds hard to implement, though I do want an Infested ranged unit. I'd prefer a flying bat-like unit that can fling AP spikes from its tail. Common unit, but with a slightly lower spawn rate than the other common Infested so players won't get drowned in ranged spikes. The Infested should remain a mostly close-ranged faction.

So what if ME3 had no mobs that required teamwork. Dozens of games do. Are you trying to make this into ME3 specifically? I'm not, I just want it to be good.

Not really. Good MMOs, for example, generally don't have enemies which become invulnerable to one player. These mobs require 'teamwork' in the sense that they have enough power and resilience that due to how PCs interact with each other's powers, it becomes far easier (and thus much less difficult) to kill them if multiple people are working together, because of synergies.

The problem is that your designs are sticks, not carrots.

In ME3, or a good MMORPG, personal skill can make up for poor team coordination. People can 'carry' teams. This is actually critical, not because carrying teams is good, but because it means that a good player is far less frustrated by bad teammates. Modern MMOs have leaned far away from the 'got a competent team? No? Then f*** off and die' school of design because it makes personal, player-level skill irrelevant.

It makes a team only as good as its weakest link, and if that weakest link is a troll, incompetent, or has any other problems (maybe he/she's a good player but has to AFK during a bad time due to bad luck) you lose. No matter how good you are.

Yes, I agree about nerfing mobs for solo mode though, just takes extra dev resources to account for that.

Also - note that none of these mobs would be impossible to solo - just more difficult (if not nerfed). You could melee the Siren to death in solo. Or you could shoot her once she's in melee range of you, and after being severly wounded she start to run, in which case you could follow her and attempt to kill her before she heals.

The problem is how she's set to deny people powers (generally a no-no) and outright no-sell certain types of attacks (also generally a huge no-no). If she was just a fast melee unit with a telegraphed knockdown who was significantly more vulnerable in melee than to ranged attacks that'd be completely fine. But right now you're forcing people playing solo to either charge out in the open while being shot a lot (and even in my 'rebalance the game so blocking and dodging is at least as effective as hiding behind a box' dream that's still going to make things harder, because dodging/blocking uses the same resource your enhanced mobility does) to use a weapon that deals less damage than the rest of your arsenal (melee is weaker than guns unless you're using multihit bladed weapons against Infested, its main draw is that it can stagger enemies and thus disable single enemies or small groups) while being vulnerable to everyone else (Again, even in my dream of cover being deemphasized, you're not going to be able to dodge and block while attacking, so you're more vulnerable).

Sometimes less is more (although in terms of having multiple attacks, more is always better as long as those attacks serve some kind of purpose). Solo is supposed to be of equivalent difficulty to any co-op mode. Having an enemy that is specifically more difficult in solo goes against that for various reasons, especially since the solo player is already 'nerfed' by a slower progression rate.

then melee and let your ally kill her. as i said, co-op.

So, don't play Grineer solo, ever. Got it.

No unit exists in a vacuum. You might be able to melee Sirens to death (which would be annoying if they weren't incredibly fragile like Sawmen, etc, because they can hit you back too), but what are you going to do about the other units that spawn alongside them?

Are you going to try to melee a Siren to death if a Heavy Gunner spawns? I mean, there's several tilesets where you can't find large enough cover that you can hide behind it and melee another enemy. So if both a Siren and a Heavy Gunner spawn, are you going to going to have to sacrifice a large portion of your shields/health in order to be able to shoot the Siren to make it safe for you to shoot the Heavy Gunner? Are you going to shoot the Heavy Gunner and let the Siren whale on you? Or... what?

I mean, sure, it's a good concept for co-op play. But it's terribly balanced for solo play, and that's bad, because there are large amounts of people who like to play solo, and alienating them from your game doesn't bode well.

Very well thought out. I just read the OP so my reaction isn't influenced by responses.

Any of these enemies would have to appear after Saturn. They are a bit much on anything earlier which is the "low levels" of Warframe. I would love the new challenges though not sure about the Corpus Bastions 1 shot ability. Those tend to be very grief oriented and are more trouble in a game then they are worth. Nobody and I mean nobody enjoy's insta-gibbing. It usually leaves a player saying "what did I do?" without a clue of what actually shot them.

The Bastion would have to be REALLY obvious that it's the threat. Oh, and they would all have to be disabled in Solo Play. All your proposals would require a Team to take out. While good and promotes Squad-Play which we sorely lack enough enemies that require teamwork. It's a terrible idea to put say the Corpus-Hulk in Single-Player.

Edited by Estred

Very well thought out. I just read the OP so my reaction isn't influenced by responses.

Any of these enemies would have to appear after Saturn. They are a bit much on anything earlier which is the "low levels" of Warframe. I would love the new challenges though not sure about the Corpus Bastions 1 shot ability. Those tend to be very grief oriented and are more trouble in a game then they are worth. Nobody and I mean nobody enjoy's insta-gibbing. It usually leaves a player saying "what did I do?" without a clue of what actually shot them.

The Bastion would have to be REALLY obvious that it's the threat. Oh, and they would all have to be disabled in Solo Play. All your proposals would require a Team to take out. While good and promotes Squad-Play which we sorely lack enough enemies that require teamwork. It's a terrible idea to put say the Corpus-Hulk in Single-Player.

The Bastion is a terrible idea, making a 'trash mob' that can one-shot players. One-shotting players is generally something that should only be reserved for bosses, and even then it should be used exceptionally sparingly because dying instantly to a single mistake is not fun.

Also, if you introduce all of these enemies after Saturn, it means that a player hits a difficulty spike. Difficulty spikes are awful game design. If these enemies are introduced at all, because of their more complicated mechanics, they should show up right from the tutorial so you can be told how to defeat them independently and left to figure out how to defeat them in more complex arrangements yourself.

OP: these are all good ideas, though IMO not necessarily the way you want to implement them. As others have said, the Bastion and the Siren pose problems to solo players, and the Bastion's 1-shot gimmick is something that simply sounds unfun. However, I wouldn't mind seeing those two concepts turned into a real boss (rather than a mini-boss).

Replies to some common points:

-these are mini mini-boss mobs. You will find appx one per level. They are not trash mobs. It's like when stalker spawns, except with a bit more strategy than 'stand on a box'. They are preceded by messages, just like him.

-All of their powerful attacks will be telegraphed like shockwave moa (sound,

light, flash, animation etc). Yes, they will probably kill you the first time you face them if you aren't paying attention. I am sorry in advance.

-Whoever said difficulty spikes are bad game design?!? What do you think bosses are for?!? Or mastery tests. Difficulty in a game is like dramatic tension in a novel, it needs to build, release, wax and wane to engross the player.

-Bastion and Hulk use the same rail gun as railgun Moa. That gun tends to 1 shot weaker frames already. I'm not sure why you have an issue with the bastion, a miniboss who will sound a literal alert and fire it once per minute.

Will update OP with some good suggestions such as:

-these mobs should only appear in mid-high level missions

-these mobs should all be nerfed in solo mode.

-lotus should give some pointers prior to/during their fights, such as "the bastion is going to fire! Get out there and perform some evasive maneuvers so it doesn't target the cryopod"

-

Gotta agree with the majority that the Grineer Commander should be updated to give commands. They should also remove his Switch Teleport and replace it with a telegraphed and dodgeable Pull attack, similar to Mag, except now he actually stays with his troops while bringing you closer. Maybe even allow him to buff the damage of Grineer that stay next to him, making him a priority target.

I actually kinda like the idea of the Siren, maybe instead of being completely immune to gunfire, she can generate a singularity field in her hand that attracts bullets (kind of like Return to Sender from Bioshock Infinite), and turns the kinetic energy into a powerful home in projectile, making gun combat possible, but ill advised since you'd have to attack her when she's not using this ability. She could have reduced damage from abilities and maybe even some CC immunity.

Instead of being a unit of it's own, the Bastion should just be a stationary installation that Corpus runs behind. It would make sense for them to take cover behind energy shields, though it have to be more like your standard shielded machine gun turret.

Not to sold on the Hulk, they might as well just make a heavy MOA unit.

Having a hive Infested that could either Spawn or Revive infested units is an interesting idea, I'd like to see something along these lines.

Again, not sold on the homunculus, Sound too complicated when they could just make a ranged infested. In a way ancients kind of have the potential to be Infested "commanders". If they gave their units more prominent buffs, it would give players more reason to prioritize them other than just being bullet sponges.

So yeah. It would be nice to see units like these in some form or another, though I do believe that the currently existing units (and enemy AI in general) could be overhauled as well.

EDIT: Oops, misspelled homunculus. Figures.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Instead of being a unit of it's own, the Bastion should just be a stationary installation that Corpus runs behind. It would make sense for them to take cover behind energy shields, though it have to be more like your standard shielded machine gun turret.

Not to sold on the Hulk, they might as well just make a heavy MOA unit.

Again, not sold on the &*$$nculus, Sound too complicated when they could just make a ranged infested. In a way ancients kind of have the potential to be Infested "commanders". If they gave their units more prominent buffs, it would give players more reason to prioritize them other than just being bullet sponges.

So yeah. It would be nice to see units like these in some form or another, though I do believe that the currently existing units (and enemy AI in general) could be overhauled as well.

Hmm...

Bastion is not a unit per se. It is just a mobile defense station. Mobile gives more options, strategy and fun. As a player, you'll have to keep an eye out 'Uh oh, he's got the briefcase again, get him!'

Hulk is a heavy MOA. It just has a weakspot and strategy to reveal that spot. Otherwise, it would be another bullet sponge.

Homunculous is a ranged infested....but instead of being a swarm of annoying ranged units like drones, it's just ONE powerful ranged unit. However, if you just kill it at range, and don't go gib the body, it will 're-posess' another infested, so you'll have to keep dealing with it over and over.

Remember, the goal is to make enemies that are more than bullet sponges and require at least some strategy other than 'pump as much DPS into its head as possible for X seconds'. Right now there are ZERO non boss mobs like that in game.

All of the +1. Right now we have 2 types of enemies:

1) underlings that die easily

2) bullet sponge annoying dudes (Tech, Ancients, Heavies/Bombardiers)

Would be nice to see guys that were scary but not sponges, but not annoying like rollers. I don't really want to see more flying units either, simply because enemy movement is very hard to predict sometimes and makes using anything but hitscan kinda annoying. Other than that, I like it.