Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clans & Alliances need a rehaul

Stoner

As most people know, clans and alliances are desperately in need of a rehaul / update. Just wanted to share my thoughts and suggestions about them, and how I think DE could fix some of the issues. 

First off, let me start with clans.

Clans severely lack options. There's a major problem when you need to have an external application such as Discord, to even be able to keep a clan up and running. I know having Discord isn't mandatory, but it fills a good portion of the holes left open by DE over the years. Things like communication - why is it that I, as a Warlord, can't even tag @ everyone in my clan chat? What if I want people's attention for something very important? Cant do that. What if I wanted to have a clan "meeting" with my admins? How can players tell what are our rules and general guidelines? They cant, because there's just no options for such things. We would need Discord for such basic concepts. (Not that having a Discord is bad, its awesome. But it just shows how warframe clans are lacking)

There is also another issue I'm having and its with the "MOTD". As this is currently our only way to put anything on the clan page, most clans will just write down important information and leave it that way. Problem is, people will stop caring about it after a very short amount of time since it never changes. Its designed as a "message of the day" but used as an info board. 

Another thing that always annoyed me is clan members can't directly donate resources to the clan vault. It must be done by funding an item in the dojo then destroying it. And speaking of resources, the current method to see who donated what is extremely unpractical. What happens if I want to see who donated the most resources for research? You have to click every single members individually... and with a Moon clan, no freaking way you're doing that, let me tell you. 

Suggestions:

• Add a function to let Warlords tag everyone in the clan chat. 
  • Add additional tabs to the clan menu screen and make the first tab show a section for the rules, clan introduction and information. 
  • Let us change the color of the MOTD and/or give us an option to make announcements in clan chat with a different text color. (Similar to redtext)
  • Let members donate resources directly to the clan treasury, just like donating credits.
  • Add a "leaderboard" for the amount of resources donated. 
  • Let us scroll through the leaderboards to see more than 20 entries... (not directly related to clans but would be a very nice addition)
  • Let Warlords see who has been active the most. Could show who has the most hours in a week. 

Now alliances.

I will put it quite simply, they are literally useless. Clans gain nothing from joining an alliance other the an extra chat which in most cases, barely gets used. You cant see who are the other Warlords in the alliance, you cant see how many members each clan has and you can't directly contact the other leaders if they're offline. I understand they once had a purpose back in the Dark Sector days but I think there are many small technical improvements DE could do to make them better. Also, I have no idea what is planned for alliances in the future so I'd rather not discuss the subject toooo much.

Suggestions:

• Let us see other clans' info such as their Warlords, member count, clan roster, etc.
  • Add an alliance category in the leaderboards section. Just like the clan leaderboards but alliance-wide.
  • Add a feature to let players send people messages through the inbox. We can do it with gifts, why can't we do it with simple messages?
  • Give alliances their own personal dojo or relay featuring unique rooms with their own purposes. That would promote interaction between clans imo. 
  • Similar to what I suggested with clans, let the alliance founders tag all members in the chat for important messages. Give it a cool-down so it doesn't get abused.
  • Let the alliance founders make redtext-like announcements.
  • Make alliances linkable in chats. Just like we do with clans but instead, shows what clans are currently in the alliance and who is the founder. 
  • When clicking on clan links, show in which alliance the clan is in. 

I probably missed A LOT of other things but I wanted to focus on QoL fixes and small issues that can be polished. I know changes such as custom clan missions and the king-pin system are on the way and I'm super excited to see what they bring. Would love to know what people think about my ideas and if there could be better options. tnxx

Agreed on most part, clans are severly being ignored and removing leaderboards on last operation only adds to the neglect. The Kinpin system was supose to give us something new but that also has been neglected. It's frustrating trying to run an active clan on warframe and trying to create a community.

True. Relying on 3rd party application such as Discord for example to communicate although it is working ok, but can't beat in-game.

The in-game communication in general need LOTS of improvement.

The only offline message we can send only through gifts or the side note on friendlist (THAT if anyone ever read it)

I would think external apps would offer more choices with communications among members, especially with larger clans and even those that have their own websites. Like the OP had stated, Discord is awesome. I would rather see DE focus on other things and let the more active clans handle their own development.

I agree completely that resource donation should be (should have already been) implemented. I think clan builders/architects/researchers would be in their glory.

Honestly though, there hasn't been much attention given to clan mechanics and i'm rather surprised. I wouldn`t even mind a few new decorations.

41 minutes ago, (PS4)the-creeperman said:

I would think external apps would offer more choices with communications among members, especially with larger clans and even those that have their own websites. Like the OP had stated, Discord is awesome. I would rather see DE focus on other things and let the more active clans handle their own development.

Except clan development can only go so far in the state its currently in. Its just so... limited. It hasn't been updated since its release in 2014(?). It definitely needs a breath of fresh air.

3 hours ago, ---RV---Maniac said:

Agreed on most part, clans are severly being ignored and removing leaderboards on last operation only adds to the neglect. The Kinpin system was supose to give us something new but that also has been neglected. It's frustrating trying to run an active clan on warframe and trying to create a community.

Oh yea, it totally is. Just think how long clans have been out and check what changed since then. Barely nothing... But hopefully clans will get more attention in the future, can't see how they can ignore them any longer. 

You're so right you know, my clan and alliance makes up for good 40% of my happiness while playing warframe. These suggestions would make being a warlord much more enjoyable and make them want to be much more interactive with clan because of the new satisfyingly additions you are asking of! My warlords have found other more unsatisfying ways to display rules and get people's attention but your ideas would be brilliant and helpful!

I like the idea of focusing more on clans and alliances so much that I don't even want kohra anymore xD

Edited by (PS4)Ghost--00--

9 hours ago, YouHaveShamedYoFamory said:

let us add or remove clan ranks too q.q example: having 15 ranks or 5 ranks total.

Heyyy Fam, yes that'd be super awesome as well. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

You're so right you know, my clan and alliance makes up for good 40% of my happiness while playing warframe. These suggestions would make being a warlord much more enjoyable and make them want to be much more interactive with clan because of the new satisfyingly additions you are asking of! My warlords have found other more unsatisfying ways to display rules and get people's attention but your ideas would be brilliant and helpful!

I like the idea of focusing more on clans and alliances so much that I don't even want kohra anymore xD

Aye yup. I absolutely love taking care of clans in this game. Sad cause I know they could be soooo much better. I want them to work on clans more than anything else tbh.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:37 AM, Stoner74 said:

Except clan development can only go so far in the state its currently in. Its just so... limited. It hasn't been updated since its release in 2014(?). It definitely needs a breath of fresh air.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was trying to point out how advantageous it would be for certain clans to utilize other means of communication, thereby allowing communities to evolve outside of the game. In this way the developers would only need to maintain a basic messaging format for smaller clans and the leaders of larger clans can have more options with community development.