Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Warframes Revisited

[DE]Connor

This is a great range of changes, and I am truly happy that you guys are taking a look at Warframes in this way now. It feels much in touch with other games on the market like Overwatch to be making large sweeps over the roster and arsenal rather than going one character at a time. So I want to say this before anything else: This is the proudest I've been of the design team since I started playing Warframe when the PS4 launched years ago. You guys seriously impressed me with this Dev Workshop. Thank you all very much for your hard work and dedication, I cannot stress enough that this is already my favorite update to Warframe and that I want more updates like this going forward.

Now for the part where I get critical and make suggestions:

- Zephyr: With Tailwind and Divebomb being merged and from the description of Air Burst, I want to heavily suggest having the Divebomb Vortex augment become Vortex Burst. A very popular playstyle among Zephyrs (Myself included) is the classic "Rain explosives from above". Air Burst normally will be a great crowd control option, but also having the option to turn it into basically a Larva Grenade sounds great for giving players an alternate way to use the ability. That said, Divebomb Vortex sees little usage now because Divebomb itself has low range and damage. While making these updates, please also increase Divebomb's Range and consider its damage and scaling.

- Atlas: The biggest thing holding this rework back is that Petrify is still an ability that stops enemies from fighting back by making Atlas unable to fight back. You can use abilities now during Petrify sure, but you have to wait for the petrification to complete to get that bonus damage and rubble with Landslide. You'll just end up standing there and awkwardly strafing until they're stone and then Landslide, and the wait time will likely cause your Landslide combo counter to deplete. Petrify is too slow and clunky at its core, and I actually think the best part of this rework is the fact that Rumblers now does an AoE petrify on cast, which frankly is what I think Petrify itself should be: just an AoE burst of instant petrification. I think this rework will fail to solve any of Atlas' problems unless something more is done to Petrify itself, be it what I just suggested or something else to reduce the wait time and gameplay disruption.

As for Tectonics, please consider letting the size of the Bulwarks and Boulders be affected by range mods, as well as turning the material of the upper 3/4 of the Bulwark into transparent crystals/gemstones so the Bulwarks won't hinder you and your teammate's view.

- Mag: The changes to the Shards are interesting, but Polarize itself needs to scale better still. I would honestly recommend bringing back its old behavior for scaling but cutting the values heavily since we all know what happened last time. Additionally, it needs to be easier to get Shards to be scooped into Magnetize bubbles. It needs to read in percentages at least somewhat to make it stand a chance of scaling. The changes to Crush are great though and Pull is in a good place since you guys added off-hand casting. Which brings up the three remaining problems Mag has:

1) Mag's passive is basically non-existent now that we have a mini-vacuum built in and should be replaced with something more helpful. 

2) Magnetize can still be described as "An aim assist tool that you need to aim at the target you need help aiming at". That isn't good description for an ability of a Starter Frame. Magnetize should be easier to apply to enemies so it can more easily benefit the beginners that may need help aiming when they're getting started.

3) I think Mag and Mag Prime's Base Stats should be adjusted. Mag has what I would say are "0" base stats. Shield is above average (+1), Health is below average (-1), and Energy, Sprint Speed, and Armor are all average (0). Most newer frames are at least "+1" on Base Stats, including her fellow reworked starter frame, Excalibur who has above average Armor (+1) and then average every other stat (0). Mag Regular could stand to be brought up to 100 Base Health, and then Mag Prime (Who would at that point have identical stats to Mag Regular) should see a boost to Shield, Sprint Speed, and/or Energy. And on the same boat, it may be fair to consider boosting Volt Regular's Armor up to 65 to bring him into the +1 camp with frames like Excalibur, Banshee, Rhino, Frost, etc. 

I hope you guys continue to listen closely and stay strong as a team. This post made me much more confident as a player in Warframe's future and I think this is a great indicator of the team's game design approach going forward. Thank you a ton for sharing this and taking the community's feedback so seriously. Fist bumps to everyone involved in this update.

Edited by (PS4)PluggedInBabies
Added an extra note to Polarize feedback. Edited a second time with regards to Petrify.

28 minutes ago, ChaotikDreamz said:

They nerfed ember to death many years ago when they took away her overheat.

she was nerfed into the ground then, but this nerf just absolutely buries her, she has no reason to use or own anymore

thank GOD they announced this nerf before the unvaulting, i was gonna buy her and loki prime, HAHA, NOPE! no chance in hell

Just now, shadow0727 said:

Is there a possibility of adding a health counter to Gara's wall the same way that Frost has a health counter on his Globe? Also, What does the counter on Gara's ability icon for Mass Vitrify represent? It seems to always show "12" for me

I think it represents how many intact segments of wall are there -- I would actually like them to put a health indicator on each section of wall, or at least a Frost-style percent health remaining just floating in the wall region of each segment.

While I understand the change to ember this really hurts her survivability HARD because she depends on ccing the enemies with constant fireprocs or with Firequake.

A change to her 3 to give some form of damagemitigation would be appreciated to counteract her reduced cc-capability since her 3 is at the moment redundant because her 2 does the same (stuns enemies) AND gives her more damage.

Otherwise I could see mags changes not having any impact overall on her usefulness and Chromas 1 still seems pointless because you can instead just use a polearm and do more damage in a wider area.

Atlas's petrify really hurts the player because of the reduced mobility so if that is toned down like with chromas 1 i am all for it otherwise I do not see myself using it at all if you are still slow as a snail because you need to weave bullet jumps in while using a landslidebuild since the attackrange of his 1 is too short most of the time to engage safely.

The rest seems really good at first glance though. :-)

Edited by Zharun

1 minute ago, Zharun said:

While I understand the change to ember this really hurts her survivability HARD because she depends on ccing the enemies with constant fireprocs or with Firequake.

A change to her 3 to give some form of damagemitigation would be appreciated to counteract her reduced cc-capability since her 3 is at the moment redundant because her 2 does the same (stuns enemies) AND gives her more damage.

Otherwise I could see mags changes not having any impact overall on her usefulness and Chromas 1 still seems pointless because you can instead just use a polearm and do more damage in a wider area.

Atlas's petrify really hurts the player because of the reduced mobility so if that is toned down like with chromas 1 i am all for it otherwise I do not see myself using it at all if you are still slow as a snail because you need to weave bullet jumps in while using a landslidebuild since the attackrange of his 1 is too short most of the time to engage safely.

The rest seems really good at first glance though. :-)

give ember her OVERHEAT back

I’m quite happy with the changes to ember, she’s finally not “press 4” and afk/ waltz through frame. Same with banshee, but I can already see players exploiting the new banshee for better CC/ damage. Hopefully the instances of the soundquakes are capped. 

Chromas breath looks pretty silly.

cant wait to try these new changes soon!

Feeling good about most of these changes, though the reliance on allies being close to Chroma for Vex Armor's effect worries me. In my experience, such a short buff range only proves effective with newer players that don't know how to utilize the movement mechanics available to them. I'm not about to say buff it up to affinity range, but Harrow's base 20m thurible always felt about right to me, it feels like I need to be aware of my team's positions without needing to constantly babysit them.

Also this may be a pipe dream but can we get a look at Ash's shuriken? On its own it's pretty useless outside of low-level areas and even the augment is basically obsolete by now. Stripping armor is nice but we have better, fast, and cheaper ways of doing it to large groups of enemies than spamming this skill.

1 minute ago, Helm said:

This is how ive always felt. They nerfed her because she was the best nuker, along with saryn. And just like saryn, they cant do endgame content anymore. Now because of pablo unable to play warframe the right way, he thinks ember is ungodly god mode and destroys any sense of pve content (somehow) 

Better nerf ember even more, what little hope i had of a buff for ember was thrown out the window. I was hoping so hard they would do a rework on ember to be able to do sorties along with the rest of the cast.

lets just take embers powers away entirely, make her a weapon only frame

the ONLY way this nerf doesnt END ember utterly and completely is if they return her overheat to her somehow