Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dev Workshop: Weapons, Mastery Ranks, and Stats!

[DE]Rebecca

The suggested mastery rank categories need to be adjusted downwards or rebalanced. To be frank, I really wish that this rework idea would've been revealed with just the general principles being announced, as moving weapons around to different categories or eliminating some categories altogether will be wasting a fair chunk of work. The line from the OP that indicates that these changes will appear on PC soon, would also suggest that pulling these changes off the table to be rebalanced entirely is probably not realistic. That being said, I would strongly advise that an actual leveling run be performed prior to these changes being released, as I believe it is highly damaging to the new player experience.

The key issue here is the basic premise around which this rebalance is based is flawed

Is rebalancing weapon stats such that higher mastery rank weapons are strictly more powerful, a good idea?

To my mind, the answer is a resounding no. While the current weapon stats can be implicitly grouped into varying tiers (Regular Boltor is starter tier, which is half the damage of Boltor Prime, which doesn't scale compared to crit weapons), many of the "good" weapons are openly available to players by around MR6-7. Being able to freely select from any of these weapons is key to player agency and choice, as well as being able to compete on a (more or less) level playing field with other players. Here are some questions that I believe will have a negative answer once weapons are being segregated into and balanced against the suggested weapon tiers

• How many hours do I have to put into Warframe before I'm no longer at a strict disadvantage to other players?
    How many hours for sortie viable weapons?
  • Do I feel bad about putting a catalyst into Gun X at Mastery rank 6, because Gun Y at Mastery rank 9, 12, etc. fills the exact same role, but flat out has better stats?
    How does this affect F2P players, who are less able to pony up a catalyst for the next upgrade in line to match their increased Mastery Rank?
  • How many hours do I have to put into the game before I get to do cool things? Use the cooler weapons?
    What is an appropriate time gate before I'm not using something that's a variation of machine gun?
  • Are we locking players into a particular progression path for X number of hours?
  • Are players now farming prime parts for weapons that are locked behind many more hours than they will ever have, and thus never use?

Please, DE have someone pull the stats to determine how long it takes the average player to hit the different Mastery ranks, then work backwards to find out whether the suggested weapon progression is viable. This must be done prior to patch release, or it may result in a very broken game state.

To be perfectly honest, the stat you should be really, really be finetuning instead of just increasing the weapon damage, is the reload time!

Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for seconds for your weapon to reload, when some of the weapons empty their clip much faster than they reload it back up. Any reload time exceeding 2,3 - 2,5 seconds is just cancer in a fast paced game like this, as it feels an eternity.

7 hours ago, Starfreak911 said:

RIP my 7 forma raw damage Tiberon build.  It's going to take 3 forma to rejig it and I'll lose fire rate to get the damage back.  Honestly think you may have killed the weapon for me.

The Karak Wraith and shotgun buffs will be nice though, and my Burston Prime won't be affected too much so I guess there's that.  Still salty about the Tiberon.

My 8 fromaed Tiberon says hello :)

Since I prefer r polarity, I can build it as a crit / status weapon (with crit mods and 60/60 mods) when the buff arrives !

2 minutes ago, runx0 said:

Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for seconds for your weapon to reload, when some of the weapons empty their clip much faster than they reload it back up. Any reload time exceeding 2,3 - 2,5 seconds is just cancer in a fast paced game like this, as it feels an eternity.

Yep, this is why I've switched to melee only or bow for things I can't reach

So I've been wondering if these mastery changes will affect those who owned the weapons already that mastery requirement is increased in the way if will those still be used by the player? 

And for some weapons in this note who got mastery increased but is totally not worth it to build in that mastery rank since it won't do much on the levels they're gonna be used at. 

I'm very happy mostly of the changes presented and i wish not much will be changed on the presented stat changes here to the actual build. 

One thing I'm not so fond of though is making starchart rewards and changing it to the plains reward is a bit unwelcome for me if you just want to increase ingagement to the plains. Tying plains resources to normal starchart crafting materials to increase ingagement to the plains is scummy if the plains resources will not be available on starchart missions or existing resources from starchart be viable to be traded with plains resources but I think DE won't do that since it defeats the purpose of the intent of including plains resources a crafting material on non plains items. 

I think DE should improve the plains more with much competitive pve changes that is worth doing while being fun. While the presented changes are viable game design wise I'd rather be more welcome to increasing ingagement to the plains via plains activities that even clans can compete on pve wise. 

I love that PoE resources will be utilized more (I assume Copprun, Auron, etc?) As they make more sense then say...

Plastids, Nanospores, & etc.

I love how mastery is being distributed.

Now folks have a reason to level it & keep leveling it.

Also it's helped clear out the overflowing pool of low mastery weapons.

As for the stat rebalance. Can we do away with the 9%, 2%, & non increments of 5?

I'm not asking to dumb anything down. But why make something a 9%? Just make it 10.

Why do a 44? Just make it 45 at that point.

Same goes for damage. Maybe its my OCD talking...

I personally feel Bows, and many Secondaries need more of a buff impo.

Viper, all launcher secondaries, hell Secondaries didn't get buffed enough considering how enemies scale.

Bows & Thrown Secondaries need a lot more love given how they work mechanic wise.

Right now they feel lacking. All but the Lenz.

The gameplay style they adopt just makes them feel lackluster vs Snipers & other primaries.

In the case of Thrown Secondaries. Even with these buffs. They are really lackluster.

There is no reason to use them vs any other secondary. They need some sort of Stealth bonus maybe.

Perhaps a Covert Lethality of their own.

AkMagnus reload is overkill. This gun struggles (even with the buff) to outperform the AkLex & most other Akseries guns. Its reload is supposed to be the dual wield penalty, but even with that damage buff it lacks the "UMPH" that even the AkVasto/bolto packs.

Impo all the true Pistols/Handcannons need much more UMPH & damage.

11 часов назад, [DE]Rebecca сказал:

Some weapon crafting costs will be revisited, and PoE resources will be used if it makes sense to better integrate a mix of resources into the game.

Not this, please! I already have to farm PoE so much for resources to craft zaws, operator amps and arcanes. Don't change craft res for existing weapons. It will only make sence with weapons made by Ostrons, imo.
Please, don't make fish chitterlings a component for high tech guns) It is already terrible concept with operator amps requiring it. 

Archived