Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Temporary Future of Warframe Trials

[DE]Megan

Greetings, Tenno!

First of all, I can’t believe we have a game full of 5+ years of content that is continuing to grow and shape into what we call Warframe today!

To get right to the point of what you’re about to read, on February 28th all Trials (Law of Retribution/Nightmare and The Jordas Verdict) will be temporarily put to rest, much like the Dark Sector Armistice, for the time being. This will happen first on PC and then soon after on consoles due to needing a Cert process. If you recall, Dark Sectors were a system that we were not happy with, and maintenance on a system like such isn’t constructive to continue changing when bigger goals are on the plate.

On May 18th 2015 in Update 16.0 we introduced The Law of Retribution trial with The Jordas Verdict hot on its trail on October 29th 2015 in Update 17.9.1. These are both 4-8 player Trials with multiple phases, puzzles, and tons of mayhem (the good kind)! As players, this was a daily source of rallying teamwork in order to gain that coveted Arcane. The dissection of ultimate tactics to conquer the Trial was something we welcomed and were thrilled to watch develop over time.

On numerous Devstreams we have mentioned/discussed the future of Trials. On Devstream 75, Scott mentioned “We are looking to repurpose existing Raid content to make the game mode accessible for lower-level players while also preparing them for this end-game content as they continue to progress.”

And we’ve decided it’s time to address that.

**In an upcoming Mainline Update this week on PC, Shrine of the Eidolon, we will be adding Arcanes as rewards to the Teralysts (specific variants TBD) on the Plains of Eidolon. Taking down a Teralyst mirrors the tactics of a Trial in terms of teamwork and communication, but can also be done as a lower-level player if properly prepared. Eventually adding Trial Arcanes as a reward from the Teralysts is the first step in the overall plan to temporarily put Trials to rest.

**EDIT: Arcanes will not be added to the Teralysts in the planned Shrine of the Eidolon update today. We want to make sure we fix some exploits first to avoid destroying the Arcane market. You can still get Arcanes from Trials for now.

*Please note that we are also looking at buffing some Arcanes - stay tuned! 

This is NOT the end to Trials. Our Designers have put in an incredible amount of blood, sweat, and tears into creating, fixing, and maintaining Trials. Not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears YOU as a Community have put into them! The upkeep of the Trials in a world where so many bigger plans are in motion are taking much needed brainpower and time.

As a warm thank you for your almost 2+ year commitment to Trials, everyone who has participated up to its temporary closure will receive a fancy new version of the Sevati Sekhara Badge[name TBD] - one separate from the Sekhara you already receive upon completing LoR. We hope you wear this proudly, knowing you are inevitably helping shape and change Warframe.  

Now that you have this knowledge, where do we go from here? 
We welcome this thread as a home of constructive feedback to where you would improve Trials (Raid School Bus I’m looking at you)! We have some top-level ideas to revisit in the distant future in terms of a redesign, but welcome the ideas of a 2+ year mechanic that a good amount of Tenno are familiar with.

P.S If you didn’t hear, we’re working on some Dark Sector mayhem as hinted here: 

In conclusion, we’re incredibly grateful for your years of love and commitment towards our Trials. Just know that this is not the end. 

EDIT:

On 2/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Devstream #106 this Friday will have a raw view on our decision to temporally remove Trials. 

We (as humans and also players of Warframe) feel bad about having Trials out there unsupported, but we can feel your emotions on the decision to temporarily remove them as well.

Nice!

In my opinion, the Arcanes should stay with the Eidolons/Teralyst;
Having Arcanes on the Teralyst is extremely good, since it will motivate players to do them more even after cappning Quills and have built all the Amps.

It would be nice to have more details on the drop conditions of said Arcanes;
For example: will we lose some of the drops? Or will we simply get an additional drop from killing/capturing Teralysts?
Or perhaps we will drop Arcanes only by killing the Teralyst, so we would have to pick between capture and kill?

And maybe when Trials come back, give them something better.

Nooooooooo!

I hope this means some progress (to be released soon) has been made on Dark Sectors. The Armistice has gone on for way too long and I hope the Trials don't suffer the same amount of delay.

Also, how will we obtain Trial arcanes during their offtime?

Please, PLEASE do not kill raids.

I understand that a lot of players don't know about/join raids. But Conclave still has a dedicated team for it, despite being almost universally disliked. I beg you to reconsider this decision. The pause may be "temporary" but temporary could mean anywhere from 1 week to 2 years.

If you really want to push for more people to raid/improve the raid experiences, why not

• Remove the keys to do raids
  • Host a dedicated hub for raids (a la Cetus) or link players to Warframe Raid Schoolbus
  • Replace the repetitions of 3x Invasion missions with just ONE instance of the "Destroy Injectors" puzzle from LoR

Removal of content... for a promise of future revisions and other content.

I'd rather see it stick around until the new content is ready to tease and show off, but - oh well.

Hopefully this really isn't the end of trials, but "Adding Trial Arcanes as a reward from the Teralysts is the first step in the overall plan to temporarily put Trials to rest." line makes me think that it is, indeed, the end times of Trials.

Trial is an interesting game mode that allows for some things that are not simply possible in the normal gameplay. Does this mean we'll eventually be allowed to interact with more than 4 players out in Plains? I doubt it. Optimizations aside, it'd be a pain, and wouldn't add much to existing Plains experience. Sure, trials can be buggy, but leaving it to rot is surely better than deleting it altogether.

Please don't do this to us. I want to keep raiding.

EDIT 1:

So after you edited your post, time to edit mine as well.

As someone with a combined 250 LoRs and 140 JVs, I have to say just one thing to it: Why change them? They are fine as they are.

We made such an effort on RSB to provide the learning experience you did not implement.

Yes, the content is not done by many players, but the people who are doing in are incredibly invested. I'm very upset about this, I spend the last 8 months learning and teaching the raids to well over 100 people how to complete it and some of them are now teaching with me.

You were on such a great path with all the reworks and balances, but this is not what I ever wanted.

I beg you, think this over again. We can help you improve, but shutting raids down will not help you getting help from the people that actually have done the raids often enough to evaluate them.

I understand why this is being done, but please make the droprates on arcanes not awful. Like JV has all of it's arcanes dropping with identical droprates. That's what I'm expecting. Also you can just remove all the bad ones. Like all of the ones that on getting hit give you resistance to a damage type can just disappear. They just pollute the drop tables.

It also occurs to me that removing them from the game entirely punishes the players who supported them for so long when you didn't, DE. So that's almost certainly too far, but I still stand by Arcanes dropping off the new Eidolons, provided the worthless ones don't.

Also you're getting rid of Raids and not Conclave?! Conclave has one of the worst progression system in all of PVP history. Here's a solution. Remove the Key BPs from market, but let people keep playing.

7 minutes ago, [DE]Megan said:

As a warm thank you for your almost 2+ year commitment to Trials, everyone who has participated up to its temporary closure will receive a fancy new version of the Sevati Sekhara Badge[name TBD] - one separate from the Sekhara you already receive upon completing LoR. We hope you wear this proudly, knowing you are inevitably helping shape and change Warframe.  

May I ask who exactly is eligible for this new Sekhara? People who have been doing Trials consistently over the past 3 years, or just anyone who has completed LoR at least once? I'd love some clarification, thank you in advance.

As a member of RSB, i think i speak for the entire community when i say we do NOT support this decision in any way, shape or form.

Leave the raids in the game. You don't even have to touch them, just let us continue to play and enjoy them. Removing them is NOT the answer. We understand this development may be taxing, and the decision could possibly be for the better in the long run, however there are other solutions. You want our feedback? Leave the raids in the game. Simple as that.

P.S.

My clan is definitely going to be devastated about this, they still enjoy the trials. It's one of the only aspects of the game where large groups of people get together in comms and have to coordinate their play. I look forward to the changes coming, but wish Trials didnt have to be completely removed in the meantime.

I never did a Trial.  I prefer to play with a small group of real life friends, at one point there was about 7 of us but Trials came in just a little as a few people were too busy with real life or just drifted onto other games.  Now I'd be hard pressed to get 4 together and even if I did at least one wouldn't have the gear for it or would be too out of practice.  If it was possible to do it solo or a group of 2 or 3 I probably would have tried them, just like Sorties and Teralysts that I have taken on in less than full squads frequently.

Just now, LazerSkink said:

May I ask who exactly is eligible for this new Sekhara? People who have been doing Trials consistently over the past 3 years, or just anyone who has completed LoR at least once? I'd love some clarification, thank you in advance.

Anyone who has completed a Trial (be that once or many times).

Archived